Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

An Indonesian Domestic Flight with Garuda Indonesia, from Jakarta to Pekanbaru (Riau

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Indonesian Domestic Flight with Garuda Indonesia, from Jakarta to Pekanbaru (Riau

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GarudaMiles, KrisFlyer, FlyingBlue

Good day everyone!

This is my story of an Indonesian domestic flight between Jakarta and Pekanbaru.
Pekanbaru is capital city of Riau Province located on Sumatra Island. Geographically, it's closer to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore than to its national capital. The city isn't a main tourist destination but a growing industrial city. Petroleum wells and oil-palm plantations make the province one of the richest in Indonesia. I spent only a night at the city, before continuing my jouney to Medan, North Sumatera, overland.
The city is served by Riau Province's main airport, Sultan Syarif Kasim II Airport (named after Sultan Syarif Kasim II, a Malay sultan of Siak Sultanate and one of Indonesian national heroes). The airport is mainly serving domestic flights, but there are also international flights to Kuala Lumpur (AirAsia), Malacca (Malindo Air), and Singapore (SilkAir and Jetstar).

Well, the journey was also my first journey with Garuda Indonesia after 9 years. The last time I boarded our national flag carrier was at 2007, from Lombok's old Selaparang Airport to Jakarta. Since then, I'd never used the carrier again. Simple reason: expensive ticket prices. Hahaha.

August 18th 2016, I took a bus to Soekarno-Hatta Airport. Just a month before the journey, Garuda Indonesia moved its domestic flight operation, from Terminal 2F to the new Terminal 3 of the airport which was not 100% complete.

Our flight code was GA178, scheduled to depart at 16.05.

I proceed directly to check in counter. All counters were occupied by Garuda, since it was only carrier operating at this new terminal. Then I got my powerful card to fly.

These pictures are taken on my way to the boarding gate. Well, there have been so many dissatisfactions about the new terminal, but I'm still optimistic. Its status is still in trial and the grand opening will take place next year in 2017. There are still many developments to go.

An Airbus A330 of Garuda could be seen.

We would board through Gate 14. Then the public announcement explained that our flight was delayed for about 10 minutes. Alright.

I was a little bit shocked to know that we will board by bus, without using aerobridges.

This was the aircraft, with registration code PK-GMH, painted in Skyteam Livery. As an only airlines joining one of three big alliances, I always proud that our national flag carrier was a member of Skyteam.

I was greeted by Garuda cabin crews politely. Before reaching my seat, I had to pass business class cabin, and I was impressed.

Then the economy class.

The seat pitch was wide enough for my legs.

All passengers had embarked, and doors were closed. Cabin crews started to give us some candies. Oh, I miss this candies so much. Before my father's retirement from his job, he boarded Garuda frequently and gave me Garuda's candies.

The IFE started showing flight safety instructions. The video was bilingual in English and Indonesian, with Arabic subtitle.

As usual, while waiting to take off, I took Rosary prayer to make me feel safe. At 16.40, the aircraft flew the sky smoothly without any turbulences, after waiting for the queue before take off. Then I checked the lavatory.

These were safety card, "Stars" IFE directory, "Arcade" in-flight shopping catalogue, and "Colours" magazine. All of them were bilingual in English and bahasa Indonesia. I was so happy that the "Colours" magazine had an article about my hometown at the side of Lake Toba, North Sumatra.

It was time for cabin crews to serve foods and drinks. The food set contained a fried chicken kway teow (rice noodles) with vegetables, an orange jelly, and a guava juice. The kway teow was great, and I think it was better than the fried noodles served in KLM which I boarded to Kuala Lumpur at July 24th.

After enjoying my meals, I explored the IFE. There were great selections of Indonesian, American, and Asian movies. "Batman v Superman" was the headline. There were also music channels, flight routes, and others.

As usual, I was not too interested in movies. I decided to turn off the IFE and listening musics from my cellphone, while enjoying great views outside. Everytime I see clouds like this on board, I feel like seeing some "cotton candies" that makes me hungry. Hahahaha.

Finally at 18.15 our aircraft landed smoothly and safely at Sultan Syarif Kasim II Airport, Pekanbaru, without any turbulences. Our aircraft parked at the right side of Lion Air.

And these were my final shot of the PK-GMH. The situation was not suitable to take pictures better than these.

Soon after taking my bag at the baggage carousel, we were welcomed by heavy rain outside the terminal building.

And these were some pictures of Pekanbaru city.
Governor office.

Bank Riau head office.

Jenderal Sudirman Road, main business center of Pekanbaru.

Idrus Tintin Hall.

OK, that's my report for now. I'm surprised with the improvement of Garuda Indonesia, our national flag carrier and a member of Skyteam. There has been so many changes after my last flight with it at 2007. Cabin crews were polite and friendly. The food, chicken fried kway teow, was great and delicious. IFE content had good selections, but it lacked USB connection and the screen was less sensitive. Soekarno-Hatta Airport's Terminal 3 is still under development. Actually it was forced to be opened, since the infrastructures were not ready enough. I can't wait longer for its grand opening that is scheduled next year in 2017. Pekanbaru Airport is good and clean enough, but my friends tell me that it has been overcrowded and needs to be expanded.

Once again, sorry for my bad English. Any suggestions and feedbacks are welcomed. Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
awesome TR

Always love hearing about Garuda

Have travelled often on Garuda internationally and some domestic routes and they are much improved.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
awesome TR

Always love hearing about Garuda

Have travelled often on Garuda internationally and some domestic routes and they are much improved.
Thanks for reading, Sir. Well, as a flag carrier, Garuda has made me as an Indonesian very proud of our aviation industry.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:27 am

Great to see Garuda has improved it's product!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Great to see Garuda has improved it's product!
Personally for me who had not boarded our flag carrier for 7 years, they have improved their quality dramatically.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks a lot! Quality Looks indeed good for a domestic.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I think it was in 2008 when I last flew that route with Garuda. I thought it was good even then. Do they still have Eau de Cologne in the lavatories?

Also, hope that the new terminal in Jakarta will be as nice and the old one which had all the nice plantations outside.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks a lot! Quality Looks indeed good for a domestic.
Well, Garuda is the best and also the most expensive carriers of Indonesian domestic flights.

Originally Posted by tsastor
I think it was in 2008 when I last flew that route with Garuda. I thought it was good even then. Do they still have Eau de Cologne in the lavatories?

Also, hope that the new terminal in Jakarta will be as nice and the old one which had all the nice plantations outside.
Oh, I forgot to check the Eau de Cologne.

Yeah, there are still developments of the new terminal. It is not fully complete.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by anak_negeri
Well, Garuda is the best and also the most expensive carriers of Indonesian domestic flights.
Doesn´t mean much Lufthansa is also the most expensive and probably best carrier in Germany and quality on domestic and European flights is nevertheless subsurface. I´m always impressed by the Performance Asian carriers offers on domestic flights.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:43 am

While I still hold some reservations with CGK T3 and - like you - hope for huge upgrade until fully open for intl flight, my initial impression isn't positive after first try. Talk about disappointment.

In other side, how long did it take to go to Medan from Pekanbaru? Did you take a bus ride or just drive along the way?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari

In other side, how long did it take to go to Medan from Pekanbaru? Did you take a bus ride or just drive along the way?
The Pekanbaru-Medan journey took about 13 hours by bus.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Great report thank you!

Question....were you flying a 738 or 332? The safety card said the former but your 41 something seat assignment on your BP says latter. Perhaps I'm confused.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Great report thank you!

Question....were you flying a 738 or 332? The safety card said the former but your 41 something seat assignment on your BP says latter. Perhaps I'm confused.
It was 738, the one with Skyteam livery.

I'm also confused why it was "K" seat. And actually it was at the aisle side.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
thanks for posting this TR!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
thanks for posting this TR!
Thanks for reading, sir.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.