Reload this Page >

BC Wine Trip- Spitoon Version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BC Wine Trip- Spitoon Version

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:58 am

What were you favourite wineries you visited? Also are these guys allowed to ship out east now?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Thanks for the report! I enjoyed reading it! I'm going to keep my eye out for those small family-run wineries the next time in out there.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
FWIW, Dirty Laundry used to be called Scherzinger untl it was bought by the current owners and renamed. Lots of funny names being used for marketing.

Next time you're in town, if again, I have a few recs.

Vibrant Vines in "East" Kelowna had a great merlot when I tried it last year. Very fruity, big and without overly tannic from too muc extraction as I find most B.C. reds to exhibit. Just ignore the fancy 3-D labels as the wines can stand by themselves w/o that gimmick. Unfortunately the winery increased bottle price by well over $15.

Another one, big further away, is Privato on the north side of Kamloops. Not Okanagan but they have managed to source a pinot noir from the Vernon area. Best pinot noir I've had in B.C. Had the cherry nose and a good taste - something lacking in B.C. pinot noirs, and again not overly tannic as most.
Maybe the name change explains the weird castle thing from Road 13?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Nice to see some of the local area featured here on Flyertalk. I am a bit biased since I got married on the patio at Spirit Ridge at Nk'Mip winery in Osoyoos in September a few years back.

As you have aptly described, there are stacks of wineries to choose from. Raudz, as recommended upthread, also has a great reputation, although I tend to visit Bouchons in Kelowna proper when traveling to this area for work. The Old Vines Restaurant at Quails Gate is excellent, as is the patio at Mission Hill (seasonal).

Hope you come back soon!
Def. want to get back. There were some wineries I didn't get a chance to visit partially due to time or lack of signage. Also as a solo traveller and not being able to drink more than a drop or 2 here and there, it didn't really let me enjoy the wines.
Originally Posted by offerendum
That means it will be 100% supersafe
Of course!
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I agree so much with this. Despite growing up in Canada and living there until high school I've visited about as many continents for vacation as I have cities in Canada. Vacations as a kid were always to outside the country and now other places just rank higher on the priority list, though with the USD/CAD exchange being what it is, now wouldn't be a bad time to come back.
Same here. Parents would take us around the US (Eastern) and one regret my parents mention that they have is not exploring more of Canada.
They were living in Canada almost 30 yrs before they went to Montreal the 1st time.

I was lucky enough to have spent a month out east in a French immersion program set up by the govt. during university so it gave me a chance to explore the maritimes.

I also have a book on Canadian destinations called "Unforgettable Canada" so that's been an inspiration on a lot of travel spots within Canada.
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
What were you favourite wineries you visited? Also are these guys allowed to ship out east now?
I got a mixed reaction when I asked about this, but for the most part yes.

Wineries like See Ya Later said they can't ship to ON (likely to avoid pissing off the LCBO)
See ya Later is owned by Constellation which also owns Jackston Triggs and Inniskillin. They also said (J.Triggs) that they can't ship their BC wines out east.
I don't believe Mission Hill and Quail's Gate were willing to ship though. Said get it locally.

For the most part though, most were willing to ship out east to ON. Some had case minimums, but with the exception of the 3 above most were open to doing it.

As for fave wines overall... Road 13, Mission Hill, Silkscarf were probably the best ones overall.

In general though, I find BC does more full bodied reds compared to ON esp those done in northern Rhone style, but whites are better here in ON.
The best whites I felt were the Gewurztraminer though. All were consistently great regardless of where they were.
Originally Posted by radnub
Thanks for the report! I enjoyed reading it! I'm going to keep my eye out for those small family-run wineries the next time in out there.
Check out Beaumont, Thorhaven and Silkscarf, but overall most were smaller producers that I visited.

All in all, I tried about 70-80 wines over the course of the weekend.

Last edited by iceblueshoes; Sep 14, 2016 at 4:33 am Reason: Dirty Laundry does ship out east!
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Maybe the name change explains the weird castle thing from Road 13?
The Road 13 winery? I've had the wine and seem to remember I had its wines when it used to be Golden Mile Cellars. Can't keep up with all the new wineries (e.g., The Hatch wasn't even built 2 years ago when I was doing a house sit down the road behind Quails Gate) and changes in existing ones. Lots of changed and not for the better. I've been touring the Okanagan for almost 20 years and have seen Mission Hill grow into the monstrosity that it is. Most were a lot smaller. winebc.com says there are 173 licensed wineries in the Okanagan now. Some make good wines, some still making iffy ones unfortunately. Still a learning process of what grape varietals

Highly recommend Naramata next time you're in the area. The warmth and sunshine seems to make the red grapes more ripe over there.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
The Road 13 winery? I've had the wine and seem to remember I had its wines when it used to be Golden Mile Cellars. Can't keep up with all the new wineries (e.g., The Hatch wasn't even built 2 years ago when I was doing a house sit down the road behind Quails Gate) and changes in existing ones. Lots of changed and not for the better. I've been touring the Okanagan for almost 20 years and have seen Mission Hill grow into the monstrosity that it is. Most were a lot smaller. winebc.com says there are 173 licensed wineries in the Okanagan now. Some make good wines, some still making iffy ones unfortunately. Still a learning process of what grape varietals

Highly recommend Naramata next time you're in the area. The warmth and sunshine seems to make the red grapes more ripe over there.
Even here in Niagara it's hard to keep up and I've only ever been to Prince Edward County once and that's an up and coming region too.

For some reason Mission Hill reminded me of the the part in Prometheus when they find the alien craft.

Thanks for the Naramata tip. I definitely want to get back in the near future, but also want to check out Vancouver Island's wineries as well.
So many places, so little time!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Small update: Dirty Laundry will ship out east.
They replied to my mini-review on trip advisor when I said too bad only a few of their wines are available locally.
Even said I can join their wine club!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: FT
Great TR.

I just find the wineries try to hard with all the silly names of their wineries in BC. I have started to see it here in Ontario.

A good family friend was a pioneer in the BC wine industry....IMO one of "the pioneers"....;-) but i am biased!

Looks like he might have an interesting venture set up later this year....stay tuned!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:54 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
For what it is worth, the Mission Hill winery is about to host its first royal visit. Kate and William are scheduled to visit there on Sept 27, 2016.

William, Kate to bring Prince George, Princess Charlotte on B.C., Yukon visit

Schedule:

Sept. 27: Kelowna, for a public visit to UBC Okanagan to meet students and watch at exhibition volleyball match, followed by some wine tasting at Mission Hill Winery, and then a flight to Whitehorse that evening, where they will meet members of the Canadian Rangers and see a performance at the Kwanlin Dün Cultural Centre.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
Great TR.

I just find the wineries try to hard with all the silly names of their wineries in BC. I have started to see it here in Ontario.

A good family friend was a pioneer in the BC wine industry....IMO one of "the pioneers"....;-) but i am biased!

Looks like he might have an interesting venture set up later this year....stay tuned!
Keep us posted!

As for the names... I get what you're saying but they need weird names to stand out. It's a crowded field.

It would be great to start up a travelling flyertalk wine exchange program, but ya... it's probably a pipe dream...

Crazy thing is a winery costs the same as a house in Toronto...
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
For what it is worth, the Mission Hill winery is about to host its first royal visit. Kate and William are scheduled to visit there on Sept 27, 2016.

William, Kate to bring Prince George, Princess Charlotte on B.C., Yukon visit

Schedule:

Sept. 27: Kelowna, for a public visit to UBC Okanagan to meet students and watch at exhibition volleyball match, followed by some wine tasting at Mission Hill Winery, and then a flight to Whitehorse that evening, where they will meet members of the Canadian Rangers and see a performance at the Kwanlin Dün Cultural Centre.
Regardless of whether or not one likes the monarchy, that's good press for Mission Hill.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Crazy thing is a winery costs the same as a house in Toronto...
Cost of land is high in these parts (pretty sure it's more than $200k/acre for ag land).

Cost of establishing the vineyards is also high.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/far...a_planting.pdf

Regardless of whether or not one likes the monarchy, that's good press for Mission Hill.
FWIW, the PM made an unofficial appearance there at the beginning of his summer vacation.
http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Ke...inery-visitors
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:48 pm

Brings back memories of wine-tasting when I was backpacking through BC many years back.

You are right. Quail's gate still don't ship abroad. Sad.

Hope to have reacquaint myself with the BC wine tasting on my next trip to that part of the world.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Cost of land is high in these parts (pretty sure it's more than $200k/acre for ag land).

Cost of establishing the vineyards is also high.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/far...a_planting.pdf

FWIW, the PM made an unofficial appearance there at the beginning of his summer vacation.
http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Ke...inery-visitors
I was referring to Toronto vs. Niagara, but yes, the size of the land let alone, vineyard is a huge factor. Not to mention if it's just the land/vines and the equipment itself.

I'm sure it was just a campaign stop
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Brings back memories of wine-tasting when I was backpacking through BC many years back.

You are right. Quail's gate still don't ship abroad. Sad.

Hope to have reacquaint myself with the BC wine tasting on my next trip to that part of the world.
But there are plenty other great ones that will ship abroad!

What's even worst is that there are plenty that won't even ship to another province!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
...plus it would give me a chance to explore the Okanagan and Osoyoos, which is the only desert in Canada...
With respect, the Carcross Desert up in the Yukon is the real deal, albeit small.

Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
With respect, the Carcross Desert up in the Yukon is the real deal, albeit small.
There are the whips for
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, Nexus
Leaving a bit later than I’d originally had hoped (wine does that to ya), I headed out with my original goal to get to West Kelowna via the Yellowhead Highway (#5) into the Okanagan. But first, I had the crazy goal of getting to Sasquatch Provincial Park near Henderson Springs. Unfortunately the weather was pretty bad, and I had set myself a goal of being in Kelowna by 2pm.
I did see Bigfoot though as I did make it as far as Henderson Springs for about 5mins.

Henderson Springs does look nice though. I wouldn’t mind going back in the future at some point.
!
(Harrison Hot Springs)!

Also, I think your photos of "Stanley Park" are actually of the UBC endowment lands. The clothing option beach is Wreck Beach and that is up at UBC. The vantage point from your photo definitely looks UBC to me.

Great report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.