Wiki Posts
Search

A day trip to Iguazu Falls on LATAM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Looks like a great day trip from the Capital, Calchas.
It was.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I went in 1976 from BA like you.

To get to the falls in Brazil we had to take a small boat.

It looks a lot more fun today and based on your pictures I would not mind returning.

I was there in their winter though and weather was pleasant.
Well it was very pleasant when I was there as well, but possibly I was lucky weatherwise.

There is a formal border crossing with Brazil in the nearby town of Puerto Iguazu.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:37 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
In the best LAN tradition no LATAM domestic lounge at AEP, right?

BTW... Nice report - thanks for sharing...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Great report!!!!!

I did this trip last year. AEP -Iguazu with LAN (one-class A320) and back to EZE in Aerolineas domestic J which was a joke. I have to admit that LAN delivered a much better experience in Y than Aerolineas did in its horrible Club Economy domestic J product.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:37 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by fly747first
Great report!!!!!

I did this trip last year. AEP -Iguazu with LAN (one-class A320) and back to EZE in Aerolineas domestic J which was a joke..
This is not J - it is just slightly upgraded Economy Class. If you have Oro or Platino status with their FF, you will be upgraded for free at check-in or gate.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TPJ
This is not J - it is just slightly upgraded Economy Class. If you have Oro or Platino status with their FF, you will be upgraded for free at check-in or gate.
It's still the highest class of service offered within Argentina and so many other airlines out there provide free upgrades to its elite frequent flyers.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
In the best LAN tradition no LATAM domestic lounge at AEP, right?

BTW... Nice report - thanks for sharing...
Thanks No lounge there, alas.

Originally Posted by fly747first
Great report!!!!!

I did this trip last year. AEP -Iguazu with LAN (one-class A320) and back to EZE in Aerolineas domestic J which was a joke. I have to admit that LAN delivered a much better experience in Y than Aerolineas did in its horrible Club Economy domestic J product.
I was quite happy with LAN's Y, particularly with a blocked seat.

In an update to the IGR lounge situation ...
Originally Posted by Calchas
This special lounge dragon duly appeared, but it was not good news. My particular colour of American Express card was accepted, but only the variant issued in Argentina. She agreed that this was a bit silly, and at the time I made a mental note to complain to Amex (I never bothered).
While waiting for a bus yesterday I fired off a quick email to Amex complaining about the silly deal they arranged with IGR airport. Amex gave me Ł30 for my dissatisfaction, so I should have tried out the lounge on their expense!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Loved your picture and trip report. Did the one night stay at the Sheraton in 2009 and did the Brazilian and Argentinian side , we did pay for the Brazilian visa- along with the 4 wheel drive, train boat, and some great walks within the park. We also had time to catch the local bus, we followed the workers from the Sheraton into town and spent some time there as well. I have to say of Niagara, Victoria and Iguazu... Iguazu was the best...

But based on our two day trip, we advised our daughter to save her money by not staying at the Sheraton, and she did the one day in and out earlier this year, and got a real bonus on the Aerolineas Argentina flight, the pilot went very low over the falls, and then turned and did it for the other side of the plane, so she felt like she got the helicopter and flight all in one. She felt she had plenty of time in the single day, taking the early flight in and arriving back in BA just after dinner time... well in BA just in time for dinner.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: FT
Great TR.

I did a one night over night at the hotel cataratas on the brazil side.

I can not tell you how many people seemed to suggest it was lunacy for me to only stay on the Brazil side etc. but it looks like both sides are equally fantastic!!

I will get my act together and post a TR of a trip some time ago. I was on TR hiatus for many reasons until recently.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Loved your picture and trip report. Did the one night stay at the Sheraton in 2009 and did the Brazilian and Argentinian side , we did pay for the Brazilian visa- along with the 4 wheel drive, train boat, and some great walks within the park. We also had time to catch the local bus, we followed the workers from the Sheraton into town and spent some time there as well. I have to say of Niagara, Victoria and Iguazu... Iguazu was the best...

But based on our two day trip, we advised our daughter to save her money by not staying at the Sheraton, and she did the one day in and out earlier this year, and got a real bonus on the Aerolineas Argentina flight, the pilot went very low over the falls, and then turned and did it for the other side of the plane, so she felt like she got the helicopter and flight all in one. She felt she had plenty of time in the single day, taking the early flight in and arriving back in BA just after dinner time... well in BA just in time for dinner.
Thank you for the kind words worldiswide. I am glad your daughter also enjoyed her trip.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Great TR.

I did a one night over night at the hotel cataratas on the brazil side.

I can not tell you how many people seemed to suggest it was lunacy for me to only stay on the Brazil side etc. but it looks like both sides are equally fantastic!!

I will get my act together and post a TR of a trip some time ago. I was on TR hiatus for many reasons until recently.
Thanks mkjr. I think some people think that if you don't take your time, you cannot enjoy yourself and your surroundings. I disagree I look forward to your report.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:39 am

Amazing! This is definitely on my list of places to visit.

Thank you for sharing your experience
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Amazing! This is definitely on my list of places to visit.

Thank you for sharing your experience
Thanks for reading
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just saw this Calchas...^

Don't feel bad about the taxi fare to the falls. I'm sure there was a 'tourist tax' included but they didn't rip you off that much to be honest. If it was a choice between 'seeing the falls' in one day or not seeing them at all then you did the right thing. Last time we went we stayed three nights in Foz which was just about the right length of time to also allow seeing more of the surrounding area.
You had good weather by the look of it.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks Calchas, your great TR brought back fond memories from ten years ago. We spent in Iguazú three days so had time to visit also the Brazilian side and the amazing birds park there (Parque das Aves). We also flew LAN Argentina and of course I was excited about the alfajor I was hoping that they will also serve a proper Mate but perhaps they only do it in J But I did get to try Mate ice-cream in a park near the falls that I forgot its name...

I recall a scary landing in IGR as the runways is very short (had a similar experience in FLR...) and also remember the dogs used inspecting luggage instead of a proper X-Ray machine.

^
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Great report. It brought back happy memories of my trip to the falls in January this year. I loved it. Spectacular and interesting.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Thanks Calchas, your great TR brought back fond memories from ten years ago. We spent in Iguazú three days so had time to visit also the Brazilian side and the amazing birds park there (Parque das Aves). We also flew LAN Argentina and of course I was excited about the alfajor I was hoping that they will also serve a proper Mate but perhaps they only do it in J But I did get to try Mate ice-cream in a park near the falls that I forgot its name...

I recall a scary landing in IGR as the runways is very short (had a similar experience in FLR...) and also remember the dogs used inspecting luggage instead of a proper X-Ray machine.

^
I was charmed by the bird park and, in fact, tried to urge the OP to go there, but with one day, it wouldn't have been possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.