Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 13, 00, 8:38 pm   #1

That's no 777, that's a DC-10

March is my month to go ORD/DFW...with connections to cities too small to mention. (No Admiral's Club, No FC checkin).

I booked myself on the 17:30 from ORD to DFW just because it was a 777. All the other equipment on that run are Super 80s with one 757 tossed in. The 777 was going to be a great flight...three classs configuration and two classes of fares. My coach ticket and Platinum status would get me a business class type seat, with coach service.

The crew was late, so we did not board until after the scheduled departure time. So, imagine my surprise when I boarded a DC10. And one with a Hawaii configuration. (Old seats, lots of them, and no Airphones.) But then we sat. The pilot announced that the 18:00 flight was cancelled and we were waiting for those people and their baggage. I kissed my 46 minute connection at DFW goodbye. I picked up my cell phone and called AA to confirm a seat on the later (and last connection) to Amarillo.

Chatting with the FAs during meal service, I found out that this 777 flight is often replaced. I figured it could not have been a last minute change because that is a Dallas based airplane.

So, I missed my ride on the 777 (been on a UA777), got stuck in a crowded coach section, left late so AA could cancel the next flight and pile all those people in our airboat.

I got to my hotel at 1:15 Monday morning. And I needed to be bright and cheerful before 8 am. At least the Residence Inn here is very nice. I slept well. Three more nights, and I get to reverse the trip.. But this time I know I am on a Super 80.