Reload this Page >

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:53 am

We only got a Pain au chocolat and some coffee yesterday in the back on our CDG-DUB Cityjet flight.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nequine
I am not sure whether that is a good thing having First so open as your pics suggest or not when compared to Emirates and their suites. I liked the amount of light the cabin got and it seemed so very open and not cramped which Emirates looks like in comparison.
Enjoying your trip report so far.
Thank you nequine. Agree. Since there were only 2 other pax and they were both in front of us, we didn't feel that privacy was a big deal. Would have been another story if the cabin had been full.

Originally Posted by MikeFly
Agree that is one lame looking F bar; granted my only comparison is the EK F bar. As much as I like the concept of an F bar, my experience on dozens of EK flights, is that it is rarely if ever used by any of the F passengers. I usually find the other F passengers back at the Biz bar. In F, I appreciate the attentive (not obtrusive) bar service provided by the attendants on CX, LH etc.
Your trip reports of La Premiere make me want to fly it - I just can't bring myself to spend the money on a flight that will not net me anything other than the experience. Hello my name is MikeFly and I'm an addict...
Thanks MikeFly. I agree with you about those small lame F bars. What's the point since your FA will bring anything you want to your seat?

Originally Posted by cmd320
Looks like a pretty solid La Prem flight, though I'd have to agree that the A380 cabin leaves a lot to be desired when compared with that 77W cabin. Hopefully AF can get these A380s brought up to that standard quickly because as an aircraft I certainly prefer the A380, but that 77W F product is clearly better. I must say I'm a big fan of the AF china and glassware. It all looks very clean, elegant, yet modern and attractive. Especially like those dinner plates with the winged-seahorse logo. Very classy. ^
Indeed, the dinner and glassware are beautiful. I would not fly the A380 again unless LH F or AF 77W was not an option.

Originally Posted by Billiken
SFO777:
Great trip report, as usual.
You need to wear a CLE Cavaliers shirt whenever transiting the Bay Area.
Wishful (hopeful) thinking on the CLE news yesterday:
In October, game 1 of the 2016 World Series is the same night as the Cavs home opener.
Thanks very much Billiken. Yeah, I think I'll pass on wearing any of now 5 CAVS shirts in the Bay Area. OMG, another potential big Cleveland sports day. I've circled that day on my calendar. The Cavs get their rings, raise the NBA Championship banner and the Indians host Game 1 of the World Series. Could it really be possible??

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Try not to faint SFO777 but that upstairs area on the AF380 is an "art gallery".
Say what?? Really?

Originally Posted by stu1985
Love the AF glasses!
Why would you pass on breakfast!? We wanted to see what it was like!
Did you see all I ate for dinner??

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
We were in Premium Voyageur on the A380 a couple years ago (which is on the upper deck) and husband's ambien apparently wasn't working as he was up chatting with the FAs in the middle of the night and they gave him a tour -including the "art gallery". He would agree it was a waste of space - but he's still happy he got to check it out
So it is really true? Go figure. I think someone on the design team was drinking a little too much wine that day.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I am dreaming of that Lava cake. I wish I knew who the caterer is.
Please keep up with your comments. I find them amusing. I like your sense of humour.
Thanks Bretteee.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Totally agree. The seat looks more like a business class seat on Qatar's A350, A380 and B787. The AF's F cabin is simply way too open! Having read so many of your reports and enjoyed reading them, I get used to your sense of humor, sarcasm, direct remarks and fun photos. I think that is your trade-mark here in FT trip report forum. If you ever changed your style, I might go read something else.
Thank you allset2travel. And I promise not to change my style and not to stop upsetting the PC weenies here.

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Great TR as always SFO777. I look forward to reading the "on the ground" parts of your report. My wife, 1-year-old son and I went to Ireland in June...flew into DUB, rented a car and spent 10 days touring Northern Ireland and Donegal. We slummed it in EI and DL Y class, however.
I will be curious to read your experience with "Platinum Services" if you choose to use it for your return out of DUB. I called last week to inquire about using them on an upcoming Ireland trip with my father (who is 90 and can't walk long distances), and they quoted a very reasonable €240 for two passengers. Not sure if this will help much with the US CBP lines, though.
As for Mrs. SFO and her disdain for United Express... she's got it good in SNA with all 2-class aircraft. Here in RIC almost all the "United" flights are still on 50-seat RJs which I avoid with a passion!
Thanks very much wahooflyer. I spoke with Platinum Services and decided not to use them, primarily due to CBP PreClearance. They can't drive to those planes and only walk you to the gate, which I can probably figure out. And a big shout-out to pacenotes for suggesting the service and PMing about the security and CBP process at that hour of the day.

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Thanks for another great report SFO777. I'm only partially through but already enjoying it.
Thank you jacobac00.

Originally Posted by fivevsone
Thanks for the great report SFO777. Love seeing the pics, and love your style.
Thanks very much fivevsone. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Does anyone know the retrofit schedule for the AF A380s? Definitely need a new business and first. I would not waste the $.
I haven't heard whether there are plans or if there is even is a schedule for retrofitting the A380s.
The hard product is so vastly different from the incredible 77W cabin that I would agree about avoiding the A380.

Originally Posted by MickV
Looking forward to the review of the Hibernian. It looks fantastic! Slightly put out that you didn't organise your trip around the BA Belfast Do considering your love for BA!!
Oh, the BA Do is so tempting.
Unfortunately, Belmond cancelled the first 3 weeks of the Hibernian including our week 3 trip.

Originally Posted by abeyro
I would have investigated this mistery deeper.
Out of cognitive curiocity
And with the hope to hear the following explanation:
FA: Excuzes-moi. No duck. It's beacause of our Sunday Rule.
SFO777: Sunday rule?
FA: Yes, on Sundays we load 2 ducks but are permitted to serve one only.
I was pretty shocked since I thought that we were the 2nd and 3rd asked.
So who knows what the deal was. Mrs. SFO777 said she thought it was probably because I seemed the most approachable.
In the end, the chicken was excellent. Still strange though.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Very simple: Frensh service! 1 pilot and stewardess liked duck, so it was out
OK, now that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Maybe the second duck was on strike?
But this makes even more sense.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Great TR. It made me remember to check ex-OSL prices as you suggested to me long ago. I'm seeing some OSL-BOS (via CDG and JFK) for ~$3500 RT. I may be flying La Premiere sometime after all.
Thank you PWMTrav. That fare is less than we paid last year. ^

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Just read your Ballyfin review! great stuff.. that's been on the list of places to try for a while. thanks!
FDW
Thanks very much FlyingDoctorWu. We just got to Ashford Castle and, while an imposing facility, the level of service here is not even close to the extraordinary level we experienced at Ballyfin. That and the fact that our lunch was virtually inedible makes it not a good start at Ashford.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thank you PWMTrav. That fare is less than we paid last year. ^
The real benefit to buying a reverse itinerary (in addition to price, obviously) is that you always have that open-ended ticket to Europe just hanging out there. Can't waste that, might as well book another one, right?

Unfortunately the fare I'm finding is difficult to book. Found on Google Flights, but Air France's website won't price it. If I figure it out, I'll share.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The real benefit to buying a reverse itinerary (in addition to price, obviously) is that you always have that open-ended ticket to Europe just hanging out there. Can't waste that, might as well book another one, right? Unfortunately the fare I'm finding is difficult to book. Found on Google Flights, but Air France's website won't price it. If I figure it out, I'll share.
Did you try an OTA? AF.com has a lot of quirks.

The fare we bought include no fee changes so we were able to change dates on the return when we knew our plans. Also, changes the return from ex-BOS to ex-SFO by paying a $300 or so price differential.

You can probably do a one way in the low $2,000 range by buying a cheap throwaway Y ticket on the return.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:10 pm

The fare we bought include no fee changes so we were able to change dates on the return when we knew our plans. Also, changes the return from ex-BOS to ex-SFO by paying a $300 or so price differential.

You can probably do a one way in the low $2,000 range by buying a cheap throwaway Y ticket on the return.
I'll give that a try, particularly to see if I can find something similar to switch to a west coast arrival. Might as well fly a few hours longer in F and visit some family out there. Unfortunately, I will probably catch the same heat for putting us on a regional jet from SFO to one of the southern california airports
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Mr. and Mrs. SFO sitting in a row with three seats!!?? What's next, cats having puppies?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:34 pm

And I promise not to change my style and not to stop upsetting the PC weenies here.
And make America great again?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
My Goodness! Seems like every time I check in at the Trip Reports Forum, you and Mrs. 777 are gallivanting off to somewhere new and exciting - in a style that many can only dream of. Thank you once again for a very nicely presented look at First Class travel at its finest. ^^
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold

The throwaway Y ticket sounds intriguing. It there a way to do that thru GF or ITA?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
That lounge in Paris looked great!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:10 am

Could the duck have gone to one of the pilots?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:46 am

Thank you SFO777 for another great report! I'm curious about this dish - are those cubes and two slivers cheese ?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Excellent trip report as always. Definitely ruffled some feathers at the outset.

Ballyfin looks amazing and has been placed on my bucket list.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Well Ballyfin goes on the bucket list. Looks like an amazing place. Thanks for sharing as always SFO777! Looking forward to the rest.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Loving the report & looking forward to reading your opinions on our lovely country. In stitches at the Outraged of Oregon and the other moral majority who really should get over themselves, bless.

We're well used to crossing live runways at DUB Terminal 1 as most of the aircraft don't land at an airbridge. At least it wasn't raining...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.