Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Our week in Ireland via Air France La Première

Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by palermo
re your quote:

"Ordinarily I would blur faces of other First Class pax, but these two going back home to France were Business Class passengers at best. Not sure how they got in and why they were allowed to stay, perhaps friends and family, but they had grabbed the best seats and were happily stuffing their faces most of the time we were there."

sfo777:

Did you mean to sound so shallow and snob?

Why you would only blur first class passengers faces ? Is the right to privacy not included in J or Y fares anymore?

To the point, you should blur all faces? You could get sued in most of europe and FT should enforce that.

While I have enjoyed some of your trip reports that comment + pic is plain wrong .
I also wondered why on earth some passengers deserve the blurring whilst others are so unfortunate to travel on the same day as SFO777 and have their faces published with less than favourable comments to boot. Never mind all the high end first class travel, this was very much lacking class.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:58 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Looking forward (as always)
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by view
I also wondered why on earth some passengers deserve the blurring whilst others are so unfortunate to travel on the same day as SFO777 and have their faces published with less than favourable comments to boot. Never mind all the high end first class travel, this was very much lacking class.
^^^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Carq
Mind your own business? Totally unnecessary and classless.

+1.
Of the top10 most read reports here on FT, I think you wrote at least 5. But you didn’t use this entitled tone before, which just makes you look like snob or rude.
Agree -- generally love these reports, but was not a fan of casual shaming of people just sitting on their own, doing their own thing, because they don't look the way you'd like them to. It's your writing, and you can do whatever you want with these reports, but for what it's worth -- agree with the other posters saying the shift in tone from good-natured to not is considerably less attractive. Maybe there's an audience who will love it, though.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:26 am

Do enjoy these reports but hard to tolerate the snobbish and elitist undertones with this one. Tut Tut! Who gave you the right to publish faces of other passengers?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Another SFO777 La Prem report, can't wait for this! ^

I never find myself on AF, however after the new La Prem reports I've seen it's definitely up there on my list next time I'm going to an AF destination.

Why you would only blur first class passengers faces ? Is the right to privacy not included in J or Y fares anymore?
One gives up their right to privacy the moment they step into public. My guess is that the OP blurs the faces of F customers as a courtesy (he absolutely is not legally required to) simply because in a small lounge space like that there's very few of them and they stand out clearly. Conversely, when you photograph a sprawling J lounge or gatehouse, people tend to disappear into the crowd and go unnoticed.

Originally Posted by Carq
Totally unnecessary and classless.
Are we talking about that particular individual's choice of attire?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Enjoying the review. Can't wait to see Mrs. SFO777 on an ARJ though I love them.

Lots of comments defending the girl with unusual fashion habits & the nonblurred faces but is anyone going to defend the beans from SFO777?!? He tossed those aside with shame and impunity it seems
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Some of the comments here, yowza! I didn't realize FT had become a stomping ground for the folks on the message boards over at salon.com...

Looking forward to the report, SFO777; AF is my personal favorite these days although we only get J service from BOS. Also curious to hear your thoughts on the Emerald Island. Frankly, I didn't enjoy Dublin at all (mediocre food and bland hotels), but we did do a golf trip to Northern Ireland about two years ago. Portrush was spectacular as was County Down. And I hardly ever golf! Enjoy and thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
Ordinarily I would blur faces of other First Class pax, but these two going back home to France were Business Class passengers at best.
You never know..... You may know this feeling: Please let them be in J, please. And when you sat down in the cabin the are in the seats next to you.....
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I have to laugh at the ignorance of a few of the comments. People who evidently know little or nothing about law comment about it anyway. Well, this is a free country, and this forum doesn't have admission standards either. This ain't the Ivy League, in other words.

And the USA (even including California) ain't the EU.

In the USA there's generally no such thing as invasion of privacy or appropriation for non-commercial use.

I'm not saying that that would be 100% impossible to prove here. (Weird stuff can happen in court!) But likely as a practical matter in this context and given the use here?

Nope. Double nope, in fact. Screw it, let's just say, "Triple nope!"

Oh, and by the way, Mrs. SFO777 is right about United Express First. It's basically just an expensive way of buying a pass to the open bar.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Aug 24, 2016 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
SFO777 is entitled to his opinion just as anyone on this board is. We may not like it but he is entitled to say it.

I'm sure there's a board somewhere in which Mrs SFO777 is getting just as much slack for wearing a raincoat and trainers to travel international first class.

If you don't like what is being written, you don't have to continue reading.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Whoa, I went out for a day of touring in Ireland and missed out on all of the fun here.

Sorry guys and gals if you don't like my style, but I tell it like I see and don't really worry about being PC about it. IMO, anyone out in public should have no expectation of privacy. Similarly, I have no expectation of privacy when I'm in public. That's why I only wear my blue hair and rabbit ears when I'm at home with Mrs. SFO.

As the for the lounge pic, I did think a bit before I posted the pic but decided what the heck. I knew the cabin was only 4 F pax as we were told by two AF agents that there were just 4 of us, Mrs. SFO and me and 2 singletons. So the other couple in the lounge were not F pax. Not sure why they were in the lounge but IMO paying pax trump friends and family unless it's a published airline/alliance benefit. Sorry if you disagree. Snobbish? Maybe. Elitist? Perhaps. Am I going to cancel out your vote in November? Absolutely.

And thanks to CHOPCHOP767 for my favorite line of the day...
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
... I didn't realize FT had become a stomping ground for the folks on the message boards over at salon.com...
^

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Speaking of authentic macarons, Ladurée is opening in LA (in the Grove) - maybe the next time you fly out of LAX!
Thanks Non-NonRev. We've been talking about going back to The Grove. Will have to check it our when they open.

Originally Posted by benjahman
Really looking forward to this one. Ireland is on my must see list. LOL'd at Mrs. SFO777's comments. Keep it coming! Thanks for sharing. ^
Thank you benjahman. Indeed, she's one of a kind.

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
This is pure gold already! I hope the trip is fabulous and can't wait to read more
Thanks so much CappuccinoAddict.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Welcome back to the nose of the plane SFO777, and thanks for something to look forward to this week ^^. If you have time I have a bottle of scotch stuck in a store in Dublin that won't ship to the US. I'll share if you carry it home . Have a great trip!
Thank you very much Madone59. LOL on the scotch. Not sure you'd get the full bottle by the time we get back to SoCal.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Another great start to no doubt another great TR, SFO777.
I'm flying from Paris to Dublin tomorrow too, although I don't think the Air France CityJet I'll be on will quite match La Première.
Thanks DanielW. Funny you should say that since we did fly CityJet, but we got a limo ride to the plane.

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Not sure if you are still on holiday but hope you use Premier services on your way back. That is right up your street.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ba-f-aa-f.html
Thank you pacenotes for a great TR and the suggestion. I emailed them this morning after I read your post. My only concern is how they deal with CBP Preclearance. They say they work with them and I'm sure they do but I'm going to call them and get some reassurance. Great idea!

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I'm secretly hoping Mrs SFO777 ends up in one of these. The comments should be great...
Indeed she did and didn't complain. We were in the bulkhead and there was loads of legroom.

Originally Posted by MikeFly
The beginnings of a great report - Thanks SFO777!
A side comment - I appreciate the photography and writing style that SFO777 exhibits, especially the occasional flashes of sarcasm. Looking forward to the rest.
Thanks so much MikeFly.

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Looking forward (as always)
Thanks briantoronto.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Another SFO777 La Prem report, can't wait for this! ^ I never find myself on AF, however after the new La Prem reports I've seen it's definitely up there on my list next time I'm going to an AF destination.
Thanks so much cmd320. AF is definitely becoming more aggressive on pricing the F cabin. I've seen advance purchase fares of less than $4K RT from MIA to Spain/Portugal.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Enjoying the review. Can't wait to see Mrs. SFO777 on an ARJ though I love them.
Coming soon. Thank you Yoshi212.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Looking forward to the report, SFO777; AF is my personal favorite these days although we only get J service from BOS. Also curious to hear your thoughts on the Emerald Island. Frankly, I didn't enjoy Dublin at all (mediocre food and bland hotels), but we did do a golf trip to Northern Ireland about two years ago. Portrush was spectacular as was County Down. And I hardly ever golf! Enjoy and thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much CHOPCHOP767. I'm enjoying Ireland so far, Mrs. SFO not quite as much. But the accommodations we had the first two nights (Ballyfin) were just spectacular. The service was so incredibly good, indeed may the best service anywhere, that it may be one of the best hotels we've ever visited.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Oh, and by the way, Mrs. SFO777 is right about United Express First. It's basically just an expensive way of buying a pass to the open bar.
Yeah, she's usually right about a lot of things. Thanks FallenPlat.

Originally Posted by stu1985
I'm sure there's a board somewhere in which Mrs SFO777 is getting just as much slack for wearing a raincoat and trainers to travel international first class.
Hey, whoa. Now there's where I draw the line.
Come on now stu1985, where's your fashion eye. That "raincoat" was a Loro Piana jacket and the "trainers" were slim fit white AG Jeans.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 24, 2016 at 11:20 am
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
@Fallenplat

Just to finish this on my end. Even if it were not illegal in the US, it is morally wrong and borderling bulling behaviour. Funnily enough, we have never seen a picture of the OP.

As for the legal bit, as you may have read, I clearly noted that my comment re legal implications was EU focused.

I am not going to engage in any further discussion re this matter but I am fully convinced the posts should be edited and the relevant pics should be deleted.

Last edited by palermo; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:16 pm Reason: quote was to incorrect post
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Hey, whoa. Now there's where I draw the line.
Come on now stu1985, where's your fashion eye. That "raincoat" was a Loro Piana jacket and the "trainers" were slim fit white AG Jeans.
I thought that would be the case. Cant wait to read the AF F part. I've got an AF J flight to Douala coming up and I can't wait - last time I did it, the food was amazing. Can only imagine what F is like.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:42 am

Just to finish this on my end. Even if it were not illegal in the US, it is morally wrong and borderling bulling behaviour. Funnily enough, we have never seen a picture of the OP.

As for the legal bit, as you may have read, I clearly noted that my comment re legal implications was EU focused.

I am not going to engage in any further discussion re this matter but I am fully convinced the posts should be edited and the relevant pics should be deleted.
Whooooa there cowboy, I was not giving any commentary on the legality of anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.