Reload this Page >

FIN. (and thanks for all the fish)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FIN. (and thanks for all the fish)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:38 pm

I was hoping to catch you before you planned Iceland but here goes....

I would skip Blue Lagoon and replace with trip to:

Seljalandsfoss (hike behind and continue to Glufrafoss)
Then hike to pool: Seljavallalaug

Google...both are easy to find

Just returned with kids 15 and 9. Was amazing.

Hope you have a great time!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Iceland is a non stop flight for me to join, the logistics of this are nothing compared to some of the other debacles we've been on.
Yeah, I hardly doubt we'll have to hire any non-English-speaking Puegeot drivers there, or visit any voodoo markets...

Originally Posted by sdfamily
I would skip Blue Lagoon and replace with trip to:
You've clearly never herded a group of 40 people around, several of whom could count their trips outside the US on one hand They want to see the sights everyone has told them about, and with a large group...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

I hope folks don't expect to eat together unless you're planning picnics. Most restaurants don't have a lot of tables.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I hope folks don't expect to eat together unless you're planning picnics. Most restaurants don't have a lot of tables.
Nope, I've been very clear with people dinners are small group affairs. Maybe some group evening cocktails, but not dinners....
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:57 pm

Congrats on nearing the end of this epic adventure!

My bags are all packed and off to the airport in a few hours and will hopefully get to congratulate you in person soon too.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Brilliant ^^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Congratulations! We've been lucky enough to have been a part of all this through your TRs.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:00 am

Jason, congratulation on this achievement. Real inspiration. Hopefully after this, you'd still tell us the tales of cool places.

I take a look on your map and can't believe it that you were only been through CGK and DPS of Indonesian airports. Then I sneak into the blog of yours: only 24 hours in Bali. We have over 17,000 islands!

Now that the big goal is imminent, I hope you can discover more great details in this world we live in.

Again, congratulations.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
So you'll end your quest at 196 and not pursue the others you identified in 2013?
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I like the UN list (plus Vatican City obviously) of 194, and think it's a no-brainer to add Kosovo and Palestine since they're both recognized by at least half of UN members...so to me that makes a "must do" list of 196.

There's another 19 places I think are pretty independent, based on independent border controls, currencies, judiciaries, and parliaments:

Abkhazia, Aruba, Cayman Islands, Cook Islands, Curacao, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Isle of Man, Jersey, Macau, Nagorno-Karabach, Niue, Somaliland, South Ossetia, Taiwan, Tokelau, Transdniester, Turkish Cyprus, Western Sahara

So that list of 215 is what I'm working off currently
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Now that the big goal is imminent, I hope you can discover more great details in this world we live in.
Absolutely, and this is one of my big wishes going forward. I'm fortunate to have discovered the places I'm interested in exploring more in depth, and Indonesia is definitely among those!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
So you'll end your quest at 196 and not pursue the others you identified in 2013?
Absolutely want to get to those others, just in no rush to do them. However, there's already talks of trips to Western Sahara, South Ossetia, and Abkhazia in 2017...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Congratulations! Excellent Adams reference too!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Iceland is a non stop flight for me to join, the logistics of this are nothing compared to some of the other debacles we've been on.
I am sure it could be a huge bash! Hell it is shorter for me to fly to KEF than to my home town.

Just remember to bring duty free. Booze is expensive....

I will keep reading updates while flying over to TPE/HKG....speaking of hot...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:45 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Congrats and looking forward to the report!

BTW, have you made it to Antarctica? Kinda crazy if you have made it to every country, but not every continent...
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: EK
Greenland

Greenland have some independence from Denmark, and in all cases a certain cultural identity. You must add it to your remaining list.
I wish you'll write a book (many text, few photos), the one that you can read under the order that you wish, by selecting chapter/country.....
Thank you for sharing, and please keep traveling.
PS: your Flightmemory Map have one main missing route: the transpolar one (SYDEZE or AUKEZE).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.