Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Garuda Indonesia First Class: Was it as “Good” as Five Stars? Almost… LHR-CGK-SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Garuda Indonesia First Class: Was it as “Good” as Five Stars? Almost… LHR-CGK-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
A bit too much purple in the first lounge.

The hard product in F looks very similar to SQ but actually looks more private.

Great trip report. Makes me hungry and wanting to go away tomorrow. Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Excellent report, Carfield. I love how you capture the nuances of what elevates service into higher realms.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Looks like a very balanced product. I'll be taking the same route sans the CGK-SIN leg in the fall so thanks for the report Carfield!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
thanks for the report Carfield ^
^ Very nice.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Amazing report!!!!!

Does anyone know if Garuda doesn't sell F CGK - SIN anymore? ExpertFlyer shows a 3-class 777 on two daily flights but even GA's web site won't let you book F.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
An interesting cultural difference. The American feels uncomfortable being helped to do something, they can easily do themselves. They feel that it is somehow disrespectful to the agent.

The European feels that by carrying the bag himself that he is disrespectful to the agent, implying that the agent is incapable of doing his/her job or that his/her job is unnecessary.

Not saying either is right or wrong, it is just a difference of perspective.

Having made my cultural literacy comment for the day, let me just say:

Thank you, Carfield for an interesting trip report about a lesser covered airline in FT. I have never flown Garuda due to lingering doubts about their safety, but your report might tempt me to give them a try.
Garuda Pilots do their simulator training and refreshers in Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific.

I agree that things had got a bit lax with safety around the 2000 mark - but in the last 5 years there has been a HUGE improvement with safety awareness and customer service.

I have been a regular FF on Garuda since Ansett ended service in 2000, and have flown Garuda frequently between Australia and Indonesia (where we have a holiday home on the Balinese island), I have also done numerous intra Asian flights and domestic flights on Garuda.

I prefer the Garuda Business product over the Emirates product.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Garuda Pilots do their simulator training and refreshers in Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific.

I agree that things had got a bit lax with safety around the 2000 mark - but in the last 5 years there has been a HUGE improvement with safety awareness and customer service.

I have been a regular FF on Garuda since Ansett ended service in 2000, and have flown Garuda frequently between Australia and Indonesia (where we have a holiday home on the Balinese island), I have also done numerous intra Asian flights and domestic flights on Garuda.

I prefer the Garuda Business product over the Emirates product.
I know that Garuda has improved in this area, hence my use of the term 'lingering'. I can't say that those doubts have any real basis in reality.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:56 am

Great report, thank you - looks absolutely amazing. They've reduced the pricing on the soft product I think? Less caviar, less expensive wines. Food still looks great but not as great as before - is that fair?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Thanks Carfield for the TR.

A shame that the things that differentiated this F Class from others and put it over the top (the email requests before flights) and the 3 different Menus offered in First, and First Class drinks menu have all been removed/cost cut.

Makes it a slightly less compelling option over other F carriers. YMMV.

Hopefully Garuda will reinstate the above but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Very nice report. Garuda is a great airline, its moment to shine will come soon. Waiting for them to fly to N. America.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Thank you for another impressive TR, with great pics
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Thanks for this comprehensive report of my 'home' airline! It was great to see Garuda Indonesia improve so much, though I have yet to take their F class before.

IMO, they are still a notch below the other Asian carriers like SQ/CX/NH due to the limited F itineraries and destinations.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:47 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Nice photos and TR. Apart from using $$, any way of flying GA F with FF miles?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kpc
Nice photos and TR. Apart from using $$, any way of flying GA F with FF miles?
In theory, yes. But from a practical standpoint, no. Ignoring the high number of miles required for a GA First Class mileage ticket, the requirement to present yourself not once, but twice at a Garuda ticket office to makes it impractical for most of us to even think about redeeming miles.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:09 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
In theory, yes. But from a practical standpoint, no. Ignoring the high number of miles required for a GA First Class mileage ticket, the requirement to present yourself not once, but twice at a Garuda ticket office to makes it impractical for most of us to even think about redeeming miles.
I found this article from a couple years back: http://www.ausbt.com.au/the-garudami...-aussie-flyers
There is a Garuda office in Sydney

...and another article: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/07/maxi...and-transfers/

Last edited by kpc; Sep 3, 2016 at 6:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.