Search

Visiting the Faroe Islands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:17 pm

Awesome TR. Very much enjoyed it.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Re-reading the TR today, again amazed at the pics of beautiful sights presented to us .

This TR stands out to many others for:
1. An exciting and unusual destination, far away from unreachable, requiring no tedious visa procedures before travelling.
2. OP made a good research before travelling, thus beeing prepared for most things happening when not on your own ground.
3. An open mind to try previously unknown, in some eyes strange, food traditions, instead of some TRs I've read, where the visitor to a previously unknown country complains about not beeing able to get the usual breakfast items.

"TR of the year" ?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: EB
Originally Posted by kaszeta
I'm told that yes, indeed, we were somewhat lucky compared to typical July weather.

And particularly during non-summer visits, the Faroes have some legendarily bad weather, especially with heavy winds (and don't let the pictures fool you, two of those "nice" days also had gusting winds over 70 mph!).

Those wanting to see what the Faroes can be like at bad times, google "Smyril" or "Norrona" to see either of those ferries in rough seas.
We were there in May, so maybe July is better. Will deafo return one day!

Totally know what you mean about the ferries in rough seas - my husband is a nautical officer that sails all across the atlantic all year round. He often sends me some "interesting" videos of the weather they experience
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The Faroe Islands is one of my favorite places I've ever been. I went in October 2014 for an extended weekend (4 nights) -- something which is eminently doable for Americans if your city is an Iceland Air gateway. I arrived in KEF and had around 4 hours between flights to make my way to RKV in a taxi (note: that ride is about $120 USD one way; there are cheaper ways to do it via bus). On the way back, I had a similar layover but Atlantic Airways actually flew into KEF that day.

I have never smelled air so clean and fresh as in the Faroe Islands. An awesome and unique destination. Once was enough though, at least for me.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I would do this in a heartbeat, except the picky eater in me curled up into a small ball while reading about the food. If I would probably have to live off salmon if possible.

Thanks for the great pics, enjoyed the ones of the puffins.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Thanks for a very informative, entertaining and inspiring TR. I am just intrigued by: 1) all that grass on the roofs, 2) how those votive ships hang perfectly balanced on one thread.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I arrived in KEF and had around 4 hours between flights to make my way to RKV in a taxi (note: that ride is about $120 USD one way; there are cheaper ways to do it via bus)
Yeah, if anyone here is ever finding themselves with a KEF-RKV transfer, two things to note:

1. Allow at least two hours for it.
2. Take the flybus to the Reykjavik bus terminal. From there, you can walk (10-15 minutes), take the 15 bus (sporadic), or take a taxi (cheap, since it's so short). Make sure you know which RKV terminal you want (almost always RKV West)

I have never smelled air so clean and fresh as in the Faroe Islands. An awesome and unique destination. Once was enough though, at least for me.
I figure one more trip and I will have seen most everything, although I could see it being a fun place to just kick back and relax if I could find a cheap weekly airbnb.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:36 am

Thanks for all your effort for this fantastic TR! Definitely put this onto my bucket list!

Since several other diners have taken pictures of the dish, I'll have to find one of theirs for my review. (You can look here for another diner's photo a week later), although I can't seem to deep-link it: http://www.lifeandall.org/?p=283 )
Unfortunately the above link is dead. Do you have an update on the missing pic?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks for all your effort for this fantastic TR! Definitely put this onto my bucket list!

Unfortunately the above link is dead. Do you have an update on the missing pic?
http://www.lifeandall.org/?p=2832 is the full link.

And since their visit was just about concurrent with ours, that blog has similar pictures of the various sites. And a few I didn't get to, like Villingdalsfjall:

Last edited by kaszeta; Aug 30, 2016 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:01 am

Thanks! The juices look great. Did you try most of them?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks! The juices look great. Did you try most of them?
I didn't, since I did the wine pairing, which was excellent.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Thank you for posting this - I hope to visit the Faroes next year.

In addition to the Bradt guide, do you know of any specific resources for hiking? Partly because I have very little sense of location, I really need almost step-by-step trail guidance, including just to find the trailhead, and I like to know in advance how difficult the trail is likely to be.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Thank you for posting this - I hope to visit the Faroes next year.

In addition to the Bradt guide, do you know of any specific resources for hiking? Partly because I have very little sense of location, I really need almost step-by-step trail guidance, including just to find the trailhead, and I like to know in advance how difficult the trail is likely to be.
Most of my actual hiking was done with VisitFaroeIslands.com hiking guide (download from their website):

http://visitfaroeislands.plantaps.ne...compressed.pdf

(You can also email them and they'll mail a copy to you, or buy one there for 15 DKK)

Most of the hikes there have a distinctly informal nature to them. Since there are no trees, many of the hikes are "Start here. See that hill? Walk up it by whatever means seem most expedient". Which means a lot of walking across sheep pastures...
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Most of my actual hiking was done with VisitFaroeIslands.com hiking guide (download from their website):

http://visitfaroeislands.plantaps.ne...compressed.pdf

(You can also email them and they'll mail a copy to you, or buy one there for 15 DKK)

Most of the hikes there have a distinctly informal nature to them. Since there are no trees, many of the hikes are "Start here. See that hill? Walk up it by whatever means seem most expedient". Which means a lot of walking across sheep pastures...
Thanks for the reply.

FWIW, one of my friends has been trying to persuade me not to do any of this--she thinks it's all beyond my capacity. I don't know her source of information, but she says that Faroes hikes entail a 3,000-foot gain of elevation and last a minimum of six hours. I told her that I know my limits.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Thank you so much for the wonderful report.

Your consistently seamless integration of the visual and the verbal is about the best I've ever seen -- anywhere.

I'm really glad I braved the rather forbidding "Ultima Thule" sounding title and decided to read!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.