Visiting the Faroe Islands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting the Faroe Islands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

So, that's the summary of my trip to the Faroes.

Overall, I was really pleased with my trip. It was basically what I was expecting, a variation on the same Nordic themes of Iceland, with quite a few unique cultural and natural twists.

The scenery and the birds were even more amazing in person than I was expecting from descriptions and pictures. And I'm still baffled a bit why so many people were skeptical of this trip, and why so view people go.

With that in mind, there are a few things still that I didn't get to check out on this trip:

1. Four of the inhabited islands I just didn't get to, since they required more time and ferry tickets. Suđuroy and Sandoy look particularly nice.

2. Similarly, I never made it to Gásadalur, which only became accessible by car in 2004, and it's still customary to park outside of town and walk in. It looks like a really neat little village with some great hikes (and a stunning waterfall toppling into the Atlantic)

3. I'd really like to try Cape Enniburg next time.

4. And Gjogv has several really neat looking hikes.

5. While it's fraught with schedule peril, a helicopter trip to Mykines looks like pure scenic awesomeness.

Things I'd do a bit differently:

1. Aside from maybe the first night, the Airbnb was much, much more pleasant than the hostel. I'd try to do this transition a bit sooner.

2. Book earlier. Lodging is tight on the island, book as soon as you can!

3. Pack more picnic lunches. We got tripped up a few times by limited food options. If I go back... I'll just embrace it and pack some picnic lunches up front.

4. Allow some more time for weather and lighting variations. Pretty much every hike we did had some *incredible* scenery, and spending a little more time waiting for better lighting or weather wouldn't be a bad idea.

Things I'd probably skip next time:

1. The Vestmanna cliffs were indeed awesome, but I don't think I'd need to do that trip again.

2. I'll be honest, after a while many of the villages get to the point where you are "Hey, another cute little village with a church and turf roofs!". Quite a few of these little villages were worth seeing once, but not a repeat visit.

And my one major piece of advice:

1. Schedule, schedule, schedule. Despite some of my photos, the Faroes are actually one of the rainiest places you can go (most locales there have 300+ days of rain), and, quite frankly, I had better weather than one should expect. If you go, make sure you go in June or July to make the best of the weather. Be a little careful of the festival calendar as well, since there are a few events like the Klaksvik Music Festival that can overwhelm the existing lodging infrastructure.

Overall, it was another great destination. Friendly. Scenic. Basically zero crime. Interesting but still good food. And a rich, unique culture.

Any questions?
cedric likes this.

Last edited by kaszeta; Aug 9, 2016 at 5:48 am
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Thank you for this amazing TR! I truly felt like I discovered a new corner of the world through it!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the detailed report, with gorgeous photos. I've been aware of, and on the fence with respect to the Faroe Islands for a while now, but I think you've convinced me.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gosha83
Thank you for this amazing TR! I truly felt like I discovered a new corner of the world through it!
Thanks. It's one of several obscure places that have shown up on my radar that, when I've researched them, left me wondering why they were so obscure... The Faroe Islands aren't even that hard to get to (BOS->KEF, RKV->FAE for me... less than 6 hours of flying and a nice layover in Iceland)

Last edited by kaszeta; Aug 10, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by netllama
Thanks for the detailed report, with gorgeous photos. I've been aware of, and on the fence with respect to the Faroe Islands for a while now, but I think you've convinced me.
Go. I'm somewhat sad that it took me several years to pull it off (I tried to include it in '13, '14, and '15's travel plans, but it never quite worked out).

Although do make sure you go during the summer unless you are hard-core into wind and 40 degree weather. (Heck, in July I had days like that!)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
I'm glad I read this TR; Faroe Islands had not crept up in my radar before now. Thanks Kaszeta.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by kaszeta
Despite some of my awesome photos
You shouldn't say that yourself, you should wait for others. Your pictures are awesome!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:13 am

Fantastic photos and a most interesting report.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carq
You shouldn't say that yourself, you should wait for others.
Point noted. Was trying to talk about the awesome weather, but that came out wrong...

Your pictures are awesome!
Thank you
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
What a fantastic report kaszeta with some beautiful pictures. Actually, not just some beautiful ones - they are ALL beautiful. I had never thought about visiting the Faroe Islands before but you may have just changed that!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for such a great report and the pictures.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
What an amazing TR! Thank you so much for posting this... FI has long been on my list, and your TR definitely bumped it up a few notches! ^
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Fantastic trip report. You've put so much effort in to this, well done.

The Faroes have caught my attention, to the point I'd looked at the flights from CPH last summer, wish I'd went now, especially after a fantastic trip to Iceland this year.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GK1981
especially after a fantastic trip to Iceland this year.
I swear, everyone is going to Iceland this year. I knew at least 6 other people that were in Iceland while we were passing through enroute.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:15 pm

Thanks for sharing such fantastic photos. I'd heard of the Faroes before, but had no idea how beautiful they were. You did an awesome job capturing the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.