real time trip report - FRA-to all over North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 1999, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

I have started a 15-20 leg trip that I will 'book on the fly'. I will start at FRA and end there as well.

I will post updates as to how the trip goes along the way. Any advice or questions are more than welcome during the threads duration!

Cheers! Dorian
Old Jul 23, 1999, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
DISCOUNT ON THE FLY!

Hopped on an ICE train this morning for the new (yet still under constrution) FRA train station. It seems to have great promise...bringing high-speed train service to a strained airport.

I booked my first ticket last night at the SE desk (internation 800#). Last seat on FRA-YYZ AC873 13:10-15:45. Full fare J class ticket...around CDN$4500.

Arrived at the FRA AC ticket counter to pay for the ticket. Agent 'knew' me and tried to get the fare down (do the staff know we have the Service Excellence coupons!!!????).

Now here is a new trick for me!!! She booked me on the late flight in C class (discounted J class). After ticketing she cancelled that and moved me to the 13:15 flight into my 'old' seat. Saved me over CDN$1500! Unbelievable! Is this cheating her own system?? She was going on and on how important SE's were and that is why she wanted to help me out.

Obviously I had to give her a Service Excellence coupon (for sure she knew exactly what it was).

Headed to the Biz. Class check-in. Check-in agent looked at my ticket and said I was too early for tonights flight. I informed her I had been moved to the 'earlier' flight. She checked....no problem.

Check-in was quick and non-eventful.

Typically the X-ray lineup was long. All three classes at each lineup. Why even put them on the screen....why not just write 'everyone'!

Made my way (out of the way) to the Senator lounge. Just had to give this a try and see why it is a 'level up' from the LH Business Lounge.

Showed the desk my ticket. 'I'm sorry you must be looking for the Business Lounge'. I said no I am looking for this lounge. She then wanted to know what 'class' of FF I was. Showed her my SE card. No problem at all.

Result: I like the Biz. lounge better. Really there are almost the same but the Biz. lounge is far larger. I can find almost no difference....maybe less busy?

REVISION: Okay, I found the difference. They had types of little sandwiches. They were quite good and made very recently. Maybe the Senator lounge was a bit better....especially due to the fewer # of people. Flying AC FRA-YYZ from gate 48 (usual gate) the Senator lounge is not so convenient. Maybe only if you are hungry! ;-)

Well, that is the 1st installment....sorry it is so long. I hope someone finds this report atleast marginally interesting.

Next report: YYZ

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 07-24-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 07-27-1999).]

Old Jul 23, 1999, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

SOMETHING SMELLS FUNNY!

So....headed to the gate at FRA. No problems there at all...walked up 30 minutes before departure....walked right on the plane.

Plane was a 747-400 and asked for the 'captain kirk' seat. 4f or something like that....all by itself..middle aisle lower level. Had to move upstairs after the bad b.o. arrived.

Overall the flight was VERY good. Great service....for sure they knew I was SE that had moved to the top deck...heard them telling eachother. Am I paranoid about these Service Excellence certificates?

I have been reading so much about AC's revised food program. Well I definitely have not seen it yet. I was in NA last week for 2 weeks and had several flight....didn't see it then either. The food on the FRA-YYZ flight was exactly as every time before on that segment. Along with typical 'afternoon tea' and ice cream & cookies, etc.

Pilot was hilarious! Haven't heard commentary like that in a while! On taxi at YYZ..."Ladies and Gentlemen, the aiport designers planned a traffic jam for this area and it seems to be working very well." Another great one on taxi "Ladies & Gentlemen, we are going to have to wait here for a few minutes. The brilliant ground controller put the tail of a 767 in front of us. If we pull ahead we will rip off his tail. We checked the rule book and this is not allowed."

Got the passport harrassment upon deplaning....first off though which was nice! First to the customs desk as well. I love the way the staff is leisuring around talking....then they see the first passenger from a 747 and it is a scramble to their posts!

At YYZ went to the Hertz Gold counter. Had booked (as usual) over the internet and requested the SE double upgrade. Get to the counter...3 staff sleeping. My car is ready to go...not upgraded....asked if they had any vehicles to upgrade to. "Yes, do you have a coupon?" I said my FF card got me a double upgrade. 'Senior' staff member yelled across..."no such thing as a double upgrade!" Well, you can see how this is going! Got upgraded and got going. Ended up getting a new Volvo S70...nice enough car....

Staying @ friends in Ontario for the weekend.

Next update? Maybe to Wisconsin or Portland, OR.

Dorian

Old Jul 23, 1999, 7:36 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I just want you to know these posts aren't going unread and are very good ... keep them coming!
Old Jul 24, 1999, 7:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Also give us the lowdown on the "new cuisine" on any AC flights you take in North America. Happy travels.
Old Jul 24, 1999, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much to both of you....I was actually thinking of not continuing....started to 'feel' (though I really do not know why) that maybe the posts were bothersome to people....

I appreciate the motivation!

I have also gone back and revised each post now that I have more time.

I will also try and post while in-flight....maybe a PDX-BOS flight or YYZ-SJC.

Also, just rec'd. my Hilton Gold card so maybe I will be posting on my stays at some Hiltons around the U.S.
Dorian

Old Jul 24, 1999, 9:02 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
I echo Beckles & BB. Great posts....keep them coming.

Bon Voyage!
Old Jul 24, 1999, 11:22 pm

please carry on. am enjoying your report while wondering where you will land next.
Old Jul 24, 1999, 11:31 pm

great reports so far...thanks
Old Jul 25, 1999, 5:56 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I'm enjoying your report. it looks like an interesting trip.
Old Jul 25, 1999, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you all...you are terrific motivation to post in real-time for this crazy and unplanned trip.

Dorian
Old Jul 25, 1999, 12:25 pm
Commander Catcop

This is a great report, and doing it in real time is making it more exciting.

And just a piece of advice: IF you are happy with what you are doing (like posting your trip reports) JUST DO IT! You will always have someone who will support you.
Old Jul 25, 1999, 2:07 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Cool concept...I'll be looking forward to the rest of the posts. One thing though: For those of us curious about your scheduled itinerary, is it possible to post it somewhere (at least what you have in mind - I know you're booking this on the fly).

Is this trip business or pleasure?

Happy flying,

;-)

-Scott

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 07-25-1999).]
Old Jul 25, 1999, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

WHERE THE HELL AM I ?!

Ok, good point....this is where I should try and go this biz. trip (not all locations necessary):

Port Hawkesbury, ON
Belmont, NH
Farmington, NH
Taunton, MA
Salisbury, NC
Austell, GA
West Monroe, LA
Minden, LA
Los Gatos, CA
Springfield, OR
Portland, OR
Vancouver, BC
Neenha, WI
Appleton, WI

I don't have to 'hit' all locations....just as many as I can do by mid-August.

I will post later on my (moderately) interesting conversations with the SE revenue desk regarding flight prices to WI.

Dorian

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 07-25-1999).]

Old Jul 25, 1999, 7:21 pm

Dorian...if you make it to PDX on your trip, there are a couple of FT'ers here (essxjay & me that I know of). We might be able to have a mini-meet.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-25-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.