Wiki Posts
Search

1/2 of ATL-KUL RTW (long like the trip), meeting Rudi and Stimpy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 1999, 10:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thumbs up 1/2 of ATL-KUL RTW (long like the trip), meeting Rudi and Stimpy

Trip started with me losing passport and ticket in move from TPA to ATL. After excellent experience with UA city ticket office in ATL, got ticket reissued. Had to go to Washington to get new passport--got appointment at 8am the day I was leaving. 6/23 ATLIAD on UA-tried to get into RCC with my next day (under 24 hrs) ticket IAD-MXP. They refused. I had originally booked an upgrade (the $3699 business class RTW tickets UA/TG don't include upgrades in the US) using a certificate, but had lost the certs in the move also. Had been given a seat on the flight, but it was overbooked. Offering $200 to go 1 hr later on USAir--they were doing a good job of calling out people who it made sense to rebook (ATL-IAD-LAX to a nonstop ATL/LAX on DL) and strongly encouraging them to change. Anyway, they called my name and upgraded me WITHOUT CERTIFICATES!!! Amazing. Choice of chicken or crabcake for dinner. Left 1/2 hr late, only about 5 minutes late arriving.

Hertz gold car, stayed DT Washington (Red Roof Inn--neat location next to Chinatown, parking underneath hotel for $7).

No problem getting passport.

Drove back to IAD for flt to MXP. Checkin 5 minutes in PremEx line. Give her certificate got from Randy (thanks) to get upgraded. Time in brand new RCC to catch up on things. Walked to gate, heard name called for upgraded seat. Sat 1A in full plane. F/C in 767 is pretty disappointing--certainly not worth $$ or miles over B/C. Buffet dinner service (bleu cheese crusted filet mignon was GREAT), nice amenity kit, cold breakfast plate, a little sleep. Arrived on time to Malpensa2000 (new airport)--had a bus gate.

Used Arrivals service as I had about 6 hours before taking train to Zurich and meeting Rudi. They use a local hotel (Villa Malpensa) and give you a certificate for a day room and a separate certificate for a ride over there (not provided by the hotel). A little trouble making connection for the driver, but worked out OK. Rather rustic hotel (didn't see much business center type functionality) but fine for the purpose. Took Malpensa Express train to downtown, switched to subway for ride to Central Station. Got train to Zurich--painless except for the line at the ticket counter. (I know why I prefer to vacation off season).

Had a wonderful meeting with Stimpy, Rudi and Gisela at Rudi's lovely house near Zurich, then went for dinner (veal in the Zurich style and fabulous chocolate mousse) and a wonderful stroll through the Old Town.
Stayed Arabella-long night so slept late.

Train to ZRH for flight on TG thru Bangkok to KUL.
TG checkin was immediate, had choice of shared lounge or Senator lounge (from Prem Ex). TG was an excellent flight--nearly empty business class on MD11 (noted one person in F/C, about 15 in B/C, quite full in coach). Old-style seats with footrests that swing down from seat ahead, which was disappointing (I don't think the MD-11s will be in TG's fleet very long), but with the benefit on an empty flight that the armrests between the 2-seat sets can be removed so you can really stretch out. 4 dinner choices (2 western, 2 Thai. Pork curry was terrific. Best Garlic bread I think I have ever had, 2 b'fast (cold/hot). Connect at BKK to KUL (2 hour flight-complete breakfast--amazing service, 1/2 full B/C on A-330 Sunday morning.

KUL airport is a full hour from DT Kuala Lumpur--a $30 cabride, but you drive FOREVER. Stayed at Renaissance--nice hotel (especially for $70/night)!

Second half next installment!
Old Jul 7, 1999, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smile

Excellent report! Looking forward to Part 2!
Old Jul 7, 1999, 11:54 am
Original Member

Question

Are you still in KL? I will be arriving there this evening.

------------------
Cheers,
Hong Kong Flyer
Soon to be London Flyer

Old Jul 7, 1999, 6:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Thumbs up

and looking forward for the continuation
Old Jul 8, 1999, 11:12 am
Commander Catcop

A four PAWS up report... and I'm glad you got to meet Rudi and Stimpy.

I hope all your travels go well... and your cat doesn't scratch you to death when you get home!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jul 8, 1999, 5:13 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks jamiel! Yes the new airport is huge and way, WAY out of town! It seems that one hotel in KL is cheaper than the next! I visited the KL Renaissance accross from the KL visitors center when they had the big political announcement regarding Ibrahim's wife running for office now that her husband is imprisoned! Huge crowds, no press coverage! I do love KL and hope you enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 9, 1999, 3:49 pm

jamiel, is there a reason you didn't go for the FC RTW fare? Maybe the answer is your comment about the IAD/MXP FC experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.