Typhoon Nepartak - China Airlines - Hong Kong to Taipei

Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Delete

Last edited by SQ9VSWU; Mar 21, 2024 at 10:27 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Club Platinum, AA, USAir, ANA,
Thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROCruiser
Thanks for sharing!
You welcome, now i need to save up for my next flight to Hong Kong from England
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I have the impressions that tropical storms (typhoons) produce less turbulence in the upper atmosphere than extra-tropical storms (e.g. over the North Atlantic).
Of course, any airline should at least stay 200-300 miles away from the core of a typhoon, however, the wind blows more constantly into one direction -> less turbulence.
In an extra-tropical storm cold and warm air mixes around the polar jetstream -> strong turbulence.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
I have the impressions that tropical storms (typhoons) produce less turbulence in the upper atmosphere than extra-tropical storms (e.g. over the North Atlantic).
Of course, any airline should at least stay 200-300 miles away from the core of a typhoon, however, the wind blows more constantly into one direction -> less turbulence.
In an extra-tropical storm cold and warm air mixes around the polar jetstream -> strong turbulence.
that's interesting thank you
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
Sounds like it could well be true. I have flown directly over typhoons twice in Asia. Definitely bumpy but nothing too severe.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Very cool. Thanks for sharing ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.