Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Simply amazing pictures
Thanks very much Loose Cannon and offerendum.

Originally Posted by wrp96
Congrats Mrs. SFO777 on your halibut. So SFO777, where was yours?
Thank you wrp96. LOL, hard to take a pic and reel in a 70 pounder, the biggest on one of the day.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
This looks like one of those trips where you will sleep really well at night after a full day out. Never thought about a fishing trip myself, but maybe I should consider it...
Indeed, we were in bed early to at least have a chance on being awake at 4am.

Originally Posted by nemme99
Beautiful photos! Do you pack up the fish and check a freezer on the plane ride back?
Thanks nemme99. Our host Bob cut, vacuum packed and froze the fish. The FedEx'd it to us a couple days after we got home.

Originally Posted by Martina70
Great report..I can't believe I saw a picture of Mrs. SFO using a porta potty ..I wonder if that pic will make it into the Christmas newsletter
Nice catch on the halibut..my favorite fish. Given that you are near by, it might interest you to know that apparently you can catch halibut of the San Clemente pier and you don't need a license for it.
Thank you Martina70. LOL, yeah she was not too happy about the porta potty. But when nature calls and you're out of good options... We have 40 lbs of halibut in the freezer so I don't think we need any more right now.

Originally Posted by mkjr
did they flash freeze the extra halibut for you?
Not sure about the flash freeze part, but the fish was cut into meal-for-2 size packs and rock hard frozen when it arrived at our place.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Love the trip report. I head up to Anchorage and the surrounding areas every year in August for a weekend. Leave in two weeks and can't wait!
Thanks very much MAH4546. What a great summer routine. Enjoy your visit. Hope the weather is as good for you as we had it.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Fantastic. Makes me want to go.
Thank you Bretteee. You won't be disappointed if you decide to go.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
First no PDBs on Alaska? Then no PDB from Bill and Beth? LOL! I've only been to Anchorage, but did enjoy the Crow's Nest at the Captain Cook Hotel, if only for the fact that they knew what a kir royale was. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!
LOL. Thanks CHOPCHOP767. We really enjoyed the spectacular scenery outside of Anchorage.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Oh those fishing trips looked really good, and so glad you all managed to catch some fish, those halibut looked really good, and I bet very tasty, love halibut. Also glad the salmon came in willingly for you all, there were times whilst cooking those fish I wish I had been around to help out, fish is almost my stable diet.^
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:03 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Thank you SFO777!

Fantastic scenery, MrsJones is very keen to visit Alaska, and this report might just tip her over the edge! Also full marks to Mrs SFO777 for keeping it stylish and fishing in a Moncler coat!

The photos from your scenic flights were very striking, and really hit a chord as I haven't been there since climbing Denali in 2003. In case you were wondering, this is what the top looks like!

Great report.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yet another wonderful SFO777 trip report!

And it certainly brought back fond memories for yours truly: from the mid 1980's to the early 1990's, I worked for Era Aviation, a fixed wing and helicopter operator that was based in Anchorage back then. Era also operated scheduled pax service with turboprop equipment on behalf of Alaska Airlines via a code sharing arrangement.

I was actually living on the central coast of California near San Luis Obispo at the time but commuted to Alaska on a regular basis. This was back when AS was operating the B727-200 featuring truly delicious meals in the front cabin not to mention proper legroom in F. I was able to visit many different areas of Alaska on business over the years besides Anchorage including Cordova, Homer, Kenai, Kodiak, Juneau, Fairbanks, Barrow and Prudhoe Bay. And there was always time for fun such as fishing for halibut and salmon, hiking in the wilderness and also landing on glaciers in a helicopter.

I also think we may have had an FT first here, folks: Mr. and Mrs. SFO777 at a McDonalds!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:59 pm

Amazing report!!!

But what happened to the 9 salmons and 6 halibuts you had caught? You couldn't have eaten them all on the trip. Do they smoke and deliver the fish to your home, or is your catch still being served in local restaurants?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Another great SFO777 report. Thanks as always for taking the time to share

While the AS F pitch and food are rough, I felt since no one else spoke up to your comment about the booze that I'd point out that it comes from a local Seattle boutique distillery which is an outgrowth of a good cocktail bar (I went there a number of times when I lived a few blocks away...)

AS at least used to also serve soda and other drinks from local SEA companies as well. despite it probably being cheaper for them to use national brands. So ^ for that.

Side note: The worst AS catering I ever saw was about 10 years ago on a SEA-LAX flight.... The FA showed me the crew meal loaded for the FAs, which was -- I kid you not -- literally just an uncooked potato. As if it weren't pathetic in every way, the airplane ovens weren't powerful enough to cook them in the just over 2 hours of flight time.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:16 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Beautiful scenery with the flights and wonderful fish. ^

It makes you wonder how the eccentric catering on Alaska reflects the culture of it's homeland state, it at all. MrsWT73 doesn't enjoy the Alaska catering either since we use them from Bellingham, Washington.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Heading home...

OMG, what a treat to not have to get up at 4am! With 1:50p and 2:25p flights, we left our cabin at just before 9am.

After check-in, we headed for the Alaska Board Room.

A nice selection of Alaska beers.

Great plane spotting with lots of 747 cargo planes stopping at ANC for refueling.

Anchorage-LAX
AS 142
737-900
2:25p-8:45p
July 17, 2016
Seats 2AC

The good news is that this 5+ hour flight has enhanced service compared to shorter SEA-ANC inbound flight... for what it's worth.

Pleasant FA Chad although dinner service took a painfully slow two hours.
Menu sighting, although in an apparent ridiculous cost saving move, only one menu was handed out per two seats.

With no IFE, Alaska hands out digi-players, $10 in Economy, free in First.

Arugula salad with grilled pear salad was OK although Mrs. SFO777 was not impressed and only took a few bites.

Choice of chicken or cod. Cod? Really? I guess that halibut and salmon were too expensive for AS' catering budget. We both went with the chicken unaware that chicken was nearly entirely chicken thighs. There was so little breast meat that one breast was more than enough for for the entire cabin. Strange institutional taste to the chicken. The creamed spinach was mostly thin cream. And Mrs. SFO777 insisted that the tasteless mashed potatoes were powdered.

Dessert? Wow, AS went all out. A single bite cupcake and a single strawberry. The mini-cupcake was excellent but seriously?? Yo, Alaska, one tiny bite is not dessert.

Then there was the annoying constant parade of Y pax to the F lavatory despite a useless announcement about "F lavs for F pax only". On time arrival was the best part of the flight as Mrs. SFO777 provided her usual unfiltered opinion... " What a piece of **** airline with crap food" and "I never want to fly this airline again. Ever." Yikes.

Two days after we got home, our 80 lbs shipment of halibut and salmon arrived!!

Mrs. SFO777 served the amazing halibut the first night.

And delicious salmon cakes the next.

Looks like we'll be having lots of halibut and salmon this year! Thanks for following along on this report.

For an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Oh those fishing trips looked really good, and so glad you all managed to catch some fish, those halibut looked really good, and I bet very tasty, love halibut. Also glad the salmon came in willingly for you all, there were times whilst cooking those fish I wish I had been around to help out, fish is almost my stable diet.^
Thank you BA5E. The halibut and salmon have been very tasty.

Originally Posted by MrAndMrsJones
Thank you SFO777!
Fantastic scenery, MrsJones is very keen to visit Alaska, and this report might just tip her over the edge! Also full marks to Mrs SFO777 for keeping it stylish and fishing in a Moncler coat!
The photos from your scenic flights were very striking, and really hit a chord as I haven't been there since climbing Denali in 2003. In case you were wondering, this is what the top looks like!
Thanks so much MrAndMrsJones. Mrs. SFO777 compliments your fashion knowledge and good eye on her coat.
Wow, what a great view from the top of Denali. I think our view was a little warmer though.

Originally Posted by jlemon
Yet another wonderful SFO777 trip report!
And it certainly brought back fond memories for yours truly: from the mid 1980's to the early 1990's, I worked for Era Aviation, a fixed wing and helicopter operator that was based in Anchorage back then. Era also operated scheduled pax service with turboprop equipment on behalf of Alaska Airlines via a code sharing arrangement.
I was actually living on the central coast of California near San Luis Obispo at the time but commuted to Alaska on a regular basis. This was back when AS was operating the B727-200 featuring truly delicious meals in the front cabin not to mention proper legroom in F. I was able to visit many different areas of Alaska on business over the years besides Anchorage including Cordova, Homer, Kenai, Kodiak, Juneau, Fairbanks, Barrow and Prudhoe Bay. And there was always time for fun such as fishing for halibut and salmon, hiking in the wilderness and also landing on glaciers in a helicopter.
I also think we may have had an FT first here, folks: Mr. and Mrs. SFO777 at a McDonalds!
Thank you very much jlemon. That must have been a wonderful experience back. I loved those old 727-200s. Such a quite and comfy ride up front.

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Amazing report!!!
But what happened to the 9 salmons and 6 halibuts you had caught? You couldn't have eaten them all on the trip. Do they smoke and deliver the fish to your home, or is your catch still being served in local restaurants?
Thank you cockpitvisit. Our portion was 6 salmon and 2 halibut. Bob (of Bob's Cabin) cut it all up, shrink wrapped them, froze them and FedEx'd them to us in SoCal.

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Another great SFO777 report. Thanks as always for taking the time to share
While the AS F pitch and food are rough, I felt since no one else spoke up to your comment about the booze that I'd point out that it comes from a local Seattle boutique distillery which is an outgrowth of a good cocktail bar (I went there a number of times when I lived a few blocks away...)
AS at least used to also serve soda and other drinks from local SEA companies as well. despite it probably being cheaper for them to use national brands. So ^ for that.
Side note: The worst AS catering I ever saw was about 10 years ago on a SEA-LAX flight.... The FA showed me the crew meal loaded for the FAs, which was -- I kid you not -- literally just an uncooked potato. As if it weren't pathetic in every way, the airplane ovens weren't powerful enough to cook them in the just over 2 hours of flight time.
An uncooked potato? Yikes.

Thanks Tracer_SEA and for your comments. I'd never heard of that brand of gin and it makes perfect sense to feature local suppliers. It was actually pretty good, as were the Alaskan beers we enjoyed along the trip.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Beautiful scenery with the flights and wonderful fish. ^ It makes you wonder how the eccentric catering on Alaska reflects the culture of it's homeland state, it at all. MrsWT73 doesn't enjoy the Alaska catering either since we use them from Bellingham, Washington.
Thank you worldtraveller73. Eccentric is one way to describe AS catering. The word I was thinking of was cheap. We're with MrsWT73.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Looks fantastic however I am convinced you can make a trip to even a garbage dump look amazing.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:44 am

What an enjoyable report to read. Really beautiful to boot. Thanks for sharing SFO777.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great end to your trip to Alaska! I've really enjoyed following along with your travels. I would love to visit Alaska sometime.

AS F looks okay on the way home, but that desert is incredibly small ... Wow!

Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Very much enjoyed this report SFO777. Haven't flown AS in a long time and it doesn't look as though I'll be planning to anytime soon either. Jealous of that stash of fresh fish you returned home. Nothing like some wild caught Alaskan Salmon!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL, AA
ACCDraw.2 REALLY thinks I'd like this kind of fishing trip. Vraiment?
Agree with Mrs SFO777 on AS food, blechh.

Thanks for the great TR.

Last edited by ACCDraw; Aug 3, 2016 at 7:56 pm Reason: AK to AS
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Very nice TR ... and a bit more adventurous than our recent trip to ANC [TR in my signature].

But you have persuaded me never to bother flying AS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.