Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Penultimate Country? CriMeA River! Putin on the Ritz: Turkmenistan, Siberia, Malaysia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Penultimate Country? CriMeA River! Putin on the Ritz: Turkmenistan, Siberia, Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I don't know what date you are flying, but a random Kayak search brought up http://www.linearair.com/ Could be an interesting option.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by wrp96
I don't know what date you are flying, but a random Kayak search brought up http://www.linearair.com/ Could be an interesting option.
That's more like it...alas...$5,000 is a bit out of my budget for a one hour flight

Current plan is to try and non-rev it on Delta, with a backup plan on AA 30 minutes later ^
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
It's all about tradeoffs. One thing I want to blog about when I finish Iceland is finding balance in life, and working to live, not living to work. I feel I've made lots of mistakes on this front, but also have a lot of good lessons to share.

Biggest lesson: life is short, don't spend it on the couch
That's a very honest thing to write on a mostly anonymous forum which has a lot of bragging - and you are absolutely right about the life lesson!

I'm really looking forward to the report, like I enjoyed reading all the last chapters. I guess for a lot of us followers feel like watching Game of Thrones. Excited to see the end of the season, sad that the whole series are almost over. Safe travels!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
My outbound to meet up is ex-IST, this should get interesting...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I'd sooner walk over a pile of broken glass than take a bus....
Depends on the bus

P.S. I always took a car
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
My outbound to meet up is ex-IST, this should get interesting...

Shocking news ...... Condolences to the families affected.

Safe travels - I have transited IST so many times.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:11 pm

Give my regards to Artem & Serdar. Make sure Ian doesn't push you into the Darvaza Crater too, last thing you want on your obituary is 'he almost traveled to every country in the world'.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by roadwarrier

Shocking news ...... Condolences to the families affected.

Safe travels - I have transited IST so many times.
Same. Flights appear to be running though, and AA/BA wanted an extra $1,100 to route me to Moscow (to catch an S7 flight into ASB) instead, so I'm off on my PHL-LHR-IST routing tonight.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
One word of caution here:
5. Ashgabad to Crimea with S7, first day in Yalta
6. Exploring Crimea
7. Simferopol to Novosibirsk in S7 Business Class, exploring Novosibirsk
Without a special permit by the Ukrainian government, you will be barred from entering Ukraine. You'll be officially notified about that at a border checkpoint.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
One word of caution here:

Without a special permit by the Ukrainian government, you will be barred from entering Ukraine. You'll be officially notified about that at a border checkpoint.
We enter Russia at DME and exit from SVO and OVB, respectively.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by warakorn
...and how do you think Ukraine will know, since all flights into Crimea are domestic?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
This should be good! Safe travels.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Various
...and how do you think Ukraine will know, since all flights into Crimea are domestic?
Let's hope they don't read Flyertalk then
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: QRPC Polonium
It's all about tradeoffs. One thing I want to blog about when I finish Iceland is finding balance in life, and working to live, not living to work. I feel I've made lots of mistakes on this front, but also have a lot of good lessons to share.

Biggest lesson: life is short, don't spend it on the couch
The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work.
(quoting Dilbert)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
We enter Russia at DME and exit from SVO and OVB, respectively.
Well just in case one of your future trips will take you to Ukraine - you might get into trouble at a Ukrainian border checkpoint. The law says you will be only notified at the actual border crossing. Being denied entry is one thing - facing the prospect of criminal prosecution is another thing.

I do not want to get involved into politics here. This is not my personal opinion, which is irrelevant at this point.
However, the Ukrainian secret service SBU (plus with assistance from other Western intelligence services) is actively seeking out the identities of people entering Crimea via air or Kerch without that aforementioned permit.

For an intelligence service to find out the identity with that blog should be easy.
http://www.jasonaroundtheworld.com/about-me/

I am not saying you shouldnt travel to Crimea.
All I am saying is you should not try to enter Ukraine, before the political conflict around Crimea is not resolved between Ukraine and Russia.

Let's hope they don't read Flyertalk then
A google alert on certain key words is all they need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.