Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A magical trip to Iceland on the WOW air inaugural (WW/FI/AS Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A magical trip to Iceland on the WOW air inaugural (WW/FI/AS Y)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:47 pm

Great TR and photos! I've long been thinking of flying FI Y+ and visiting the Blue Lagoon. Great review of the restaurant there and food pix!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP
How did you get around KEF and to get to the view points? Rental car or cab? What's the approximate transporting costs?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by puls
The Centurion, SFO
The sparkling water tap was key. We must have filled four bottles to last us the flight.
Originally Posted by puls
WOW air 162, San Francisco International (SFO) to Keflavík International (KEF)
June 10th, 2016
12:50 pm–4:10 am (+1)
Airbus A330-300 EC-MIO
Seats 1H/K (non-existent class)
Once we finally made it to the plane, we were greeted with a big surprise: this wet-leased plane had no A/C/H/K seats in row 1, so our assigned seats didn't exist. We mentioned this to a flight attendant, who was profusely apologetic and handed our boarding passes over to the Air Europa purser to find us new seats.
Seats had neither IFE nor recline, but they did have power and 33 or maybe 34 inches of pitch. Not bad. Granted, this wet-lease was not WOW's own configuration, but why would Air Europa purchase such cheap non-reclining slimline seats and then put so few of them on the plane?
Ah, that was you folks that didn't have seats! I was on the inaugural as well. I too filled up my water bottle at the Centurion prior to boarding. Not even water is complimentary on WOW, although I heard someone managed to get some hot water for free because there was no item that the FAs could figure out to charge for just hot water without tea or coffee or anything.

The seats on the Air Europa aircraft do actually recline, but it was about 4 hours into the flight before I figured out where the control was - it's a small lever underneath the seat cushion. On the three seats I checked, it was on the right hand side close to the edge, but I don't know if it's different on other seats. I too thought the legroom was actually quite generous for a LCC. I probably wouldn't splurge on the XL seats, but might spend the money for a seat assignment just to make sure I don't end up in a middle.

On my return flight, also WOW, I used one of the kiosks to checkin and thus there wasn't even an opportunity for someone to weigh my carryon.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Thanks so much for sharing. Iceland is definitely #1 on my list of places I want to go.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Thanks so much for posting this - I haven't really seen any Iceland reviews here. I'll be taking a group of about 35 people there for my "Last Country Trip" in a couple months so great to have this preview!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report and interesting to read and see photos of your experience with Wow! I certainly thought "Wow" when I saw your food on your flight to KEF for $31 ... Expensive prices!

My family and I visited Iceland and the Blue Lagoon in 1996 - so it was good to see photos again, as I don't remember much of it now, 20 years later.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Sweet.

Thanks for an excellent trip report!
Thanks for reading, HomerJay!

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Great TR and photos! I've long been thinking of flying FI Y+ and visiting the Blue Lagoon. Great review of the restaurant there and food pix!
Thanks, iluvdoco! The Blue Lagoon also makes a great layover stop, just a quick bus ride from KEF.

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
How did you get around KEF and to get to the view points? Rental car or cab? What's the approximate transporting costs?
We took tours everywhere. Cabs are pretty nominally priced, but the airport is really quite far from the city, so you're talking a ton of money for a cab ride. Rental cars are the way to go if you're going around the country, but as long as we were staying in Reykjavík, it didn't make sense.

The Flybus is 2200 ISK ($18) one way or 4000 ISK ($32) round trip. The tours were quite a bit more.

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Ah, that was you folks that didn't have seats! I was on the inaugural as well. I too filled up my water bottle at the Centurion prior to boarding.
Thanks for reading, rob_flies_ua. After half a million miles of flying, there are fewer and fewer things that I've never seen before on a plane. This was definitely one of those cases.

Originally Posted by BThumme
Thanks so much for sharing. Iceland is definitely #1 on my list of places I want to go.
Thanks for reading, BThumme. We met several friends from the US in Iceland; seems like everybody is going these days!

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Thanks so much for posting this - I haven't really seen any Iceland reviews here. I'll be taking a group of about 35 people there for my "Last Country Trip" in a couple months so great to have this preview!
Thanks, ironmanjt! I take it you're referring to "last country" as in the last country in the world you haven't visited? Dare I offer my congratulations in advance?

Originally Posted by 757
Great report and interesting to read and see photos of your experience with Wow! I certainly thought "Wow" when I saw your food on your flight to KEF for $31 ... Expensive prices!

My family and I visited Iceland and the Blue Lagoon in 1996 - so it was good to see photos again, as I don't remember much of it now, 20 years later.
Thanks, 757! Everything is super expensive in Iceland, given the relative collapse of their currency half a decade ago and their total reliance on imports. It wasn't just on the flight there.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:56 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Great report!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:59 am

An excellent and very insightful TR, puls. I'm tagging along for ironmanjt's Iceland trip on my way back from Greenland so it is very helpful. The Blue Lagoon looks a treat, although I've settled for the mere 55 euro Blue Lagoon package .
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:32 am

Thank you for the trip report. I also got one of the intro $99 fares from WOW but, I don't fly until September. And like you I'm flying Icelandair back. I've been curious about the WOW experience from SFO. Especially in regards to seating. Looks like I may just pay for a regular assigned seat. I'm taking it as a personal challenge to only take 11 lbs though. Of course I'm bringing a coat with lots of pockets.
I'm curious if you just stayed at the airport until you caught the bus to the Blue Lagoon? The 4 am arrival has me stressing out more that it probably should.
I didn't know the Centurion had a sparkling water tap! I guess I never get water there. I am going to need to find that.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Iceland is beautiful, no question! I must visit in the future.....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by andset1191
Great report!
Thanks, andset1191!

Originally Posted by DanielW
An excellent and very insightful TR, puls. I'm tagging along for ironmanjt's Iceland trip on my way back from Greenland so it is very helpful. The Blue Lagoon looks a treat, although I've settled for the mere 55 euro Blue Lagoon package .
Thanks for the comment, DanielW! The trip was a lot of fun, though really I've got nothing on your amazing TRs that come in over and over.

Originally Posted by miko2a
Thank you for the trip report. I also got one of the intro $99 fares from WOW but, I don't fly until September. And like you I'm flying Icelandair back. I've been curious about the WOW experience from SFO. Especially in regards to seating. Looks like I may just pay for a regular assigned seat. I'm taking it as a personal challenge to only take 11 lbs though. Of course I'm bringing a coat with lots of pockets.
I'm curious if you just stayed at the airport until you caught the bus to the Blue Lagoon? The 4 am arrival has me stressing out more that it probably should.
I didn't know the Centurion had a sparkling water tap! I guess I never get water there. I am going to need to find that.
Hi miko2a, and thanks for reading. We did just stay at the airport until the first bus to the Blue Lagoon. It was a couple boring hours of trying to keep our eyes open, to be sure, but KEF is far from a quiet place at that hour. There's a juice bar/coffee shop where we plopped down and had some smoothies and coffee while we waited; there's also a couple of other options for where to hang out.

We weren't the only people coming off of super early US arrivals and waiting for the Blue Lagoon bus, either; there were probably a couple dozen other people doing the same thing.

It's hard to say what the seating will be like on your plane, especially if they're still using a different seating chart on each of their planes.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Iceland is beautiful, no question! I must visit in the future.....
Thanks for reading, offerendum! I must visit in the future, too.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Great Pics & Thanks

Thanks for the great report and pictures.
My wife and I were in KEF in mid-March.

Was great to see your pictures of places that, when we saw them, were covered with ice and snow.

(We did not go to the Blue Lagoon.)

Iceland is on our "Return List" with a side trip to the Faroe Islands.

Thanks again!!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Great report.
Thanks for posting!

Wow doesn't look so bad, although no recline on a long sector makes me shudder.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:34 pm

Fantastic trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.