Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Running to meet the United 1K Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by gaobest
I only have one question - why do you want UAL status?
Maybe the discounted United Club membership fee?

Isn't the best status to just not fly ual? With VX and b6 and everyone else flying out of Southern California airports, I can't understand where United serves for nonstops.
Come on now, UA has definitely improved over the last year or so. Much better experience than AA, for certain. As for VX, doesn't the novelty of their service kind of wear off? Ditto for B6, and that's coming from a BOS-based flyer.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767

Come on now, UA has definitely improved over the last year or so. Much better experience than AA, for certain. As for VX, doesn't the novelty of their service kind of wear off? Ditto for B6, and that's coming from a BOS-based flyer.
I agree about UA improvements but surely UA F is still worse than VX Y, at least for soft product. And with CPU barely guaranteed, it's hard to imagine why UA 1K status is worth getting, and then having to maintain each future year, even if it's only 50K or 25K miles BIS to get 1K. How is UAL better than VX or B6 other than nonstop routes - and when UAL is needed, doesn't paid F offer the same service as being 1K? Imagine paying for E+ and not getting the CPU - it's not worth the risk and I doubt Sfo777 is going to do that. He'd just buy paid F in the first place.

Also I'm speaking specifically for sfo777 - a person who prefers LH & AF for ex-USA intl travel, and who uses Jetsmarter for domestic. For his other USA travel, does he really want UAL ps for EWR? I just can't see the point of UAL status for this specific traveler, based on the TRs that I've read.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAL250
Thanks for sharing another great TR SFO777. I very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to the second installment. Also love seeing The Bahamas showing news about Trump! I saw him on the news in Norway. He really is making everyone around the world take notice!
Thank you UAL250.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Do you find it easier to do MR out of LAX than out of DEN?
Good question. I found DEN pretty good for MRs since I could typically add DEN-LAX-DEN as a freebie on a lot of them. But there are certainly a lot more options out of LAX. The trade off is the PIA drive on the 405. I have to leave home 2+ hours before departure. In DEN, I could leave 75 minutes before and still have time to spare.

Thanks for sharing, SFO777. I'm not flying as much this year, but I have to say that I have had two wonderful experiences each way on UA's PS EWR to SFO late last month and earlier this month. Another booked for August. I thought J service would take a hit after leaving JFK, but it's really nice. Since you're in LAX now, I would recommend it if you're heading in this direction. And with the Polaris debut, I can't say that I'll be mileage running to save my EXP status. Thanks again!
Thanks so much CHOPCHOP767. Good suggestion on the PS service. I need try it as well at B6 Mint.

Great TR as always. I only have one question - why do you want UAL status? With Jetsmarter and premium MR deals, I can't comprehend what ual serves, or why you can't just buy paid F if ual is the only option. On my most recent ual flight in 2015, I just torched 100,000 miles (F per pax) for a 2-day ord/PDX wedding trip. I almost was going to do a similar award this year but cancelled instead.
Isn't the best status to just not fly ual? With VX and b6 and everyone else flying out of Southern California airports, I can't understand where United uniquely serves for nonstops. I travel very little but I think I could go anywhere from SFO that didn't require ual. I'm planning to use my ual miles for partner airlines at some point in the future. And I still love love love the Cavs TR. can't get enough of it!!! Those pictures...
Thanks very much gaobest. Yeah, still basking in the Cavs championship! And now the Indians are on a 13 game winning streak. They haven't lost since the Cavs won Game 6.

Good points about UA and LAX. But even if I play the field, 1K status is helpful. I've already save $2,000 in award change fees in the last month alone! Also, I did not renew JetSmarter. So it's back to commercial for now. If I use closer SNA, I pretty much have to connect on any airline. AA is now my last choice as service has really taken a hit. I like UA service, website is easy to use and award availability is excellent once you know this tricks.

AA is just terrible these days. I haven't flown VX enough for it to wear off but their F cabin on short hauls is hard to beat.

I agree about UA improvements but surely UA F is still worse than VX Y, at least for soft product. And with CPU barely guaranteed, it's hard to imagine why UA 1K status is worth getting, and then having to maintain each future year, even if it's only 50K or 25K miles BIS to get 1K. How is UAL better than VX or B6 other than nonstop routes - and when UAL is needed, doesn't paid F offer the same service as being 1K? Imagine paying for E+ and not getting the CPU - it's not worth the risk and I doubt Sfo777 is going to do that. He'd just buy paid F in the first place. Also I'm speaking specifically for sfo777 - a person who prefers LH & AF for ex-USA intl travel, and who uses Jetsmarter for domestic. For his other USA travel, does he really want UAL ps for EWR? I just can't see the point of UAL status for this specific traveler, based on the TRs that I've read.
Thanks gaobest. But... UA F worse than VX Y?? What are smoking today?
As I noted above, there are other benefits to having 1K status. I'll see how much benefit I get in the next 18 months and then re-assess.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with your reviews w/ UA F. Might have to give them a try again but I'm happy with the service on AS.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for another entertaining TR! I always enjoy them, especially your domestic MRs

Maybe it's just me, but the current rendition of UA catering in domestic F seems very reminiscent of the meals served by legacy AA.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by WhoMovedMyPlane
Maybe it's just me, but the current rendition of UA catering in domestic F seems very reminiscent of the meals served by legacy AA.
Agreed, except it also seems that AA F meals now are worse than legacy UA Y, or the equivalent of UA international Y meals. I was stunned last year to experience meals in F on both UA and AA.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

A month later, I'm heading out another round of the same to complete my 1K Challenge.
This morning, I'm on United's 8am LAX-HNL flight.
On my drive up the 405, one of the best vanity plates I've seen in a long time.

Ugh, I'm really starting to detest the drive to/from LAX. Was a lot easier this morning using Century Blvd. instead of the 105 connector.
PreCheck was easy with only a few people in front and a very efficient TSA ID checker.

Heading to Gate 77.

And the United Club at Gate 75. Classy entrance.

And after all that, I was denied entry because my GA claimed my international flight EWR-NAS was more than 24 hours later.
And my Copa *G card still hasn't arrived. So down to the gate to wait 20 minutes for boarding.

Today's lengthy upgrade list. With one empty seat, good luck on that one.

Yeah, let's take up 4 seats at the gate… because I'm special.

LAX-HNL
UA 1158
777-200 Hawaii configuration
8:00a-10:45a
July 25, 2016
First Class

United's domestic (Hawaii) 777 configuration with 2-3-2 First Class cabin seating.
Unless you are stuck in the middle of the middle 3 next to strangers, it's not a bad way to get to the islands.
Indeed, other than DL's 763, it's way better than narrow body 738s that UA flies the rest of the day,
And miles better than AA's stupid A321s.

Lots of leg room...

Breakfast options were Hawaiian scrambled eggs, french toast or fruit plate. I opted for the excellent scrambled eggs, which got me a variation of the fruit plate.

On this flight, UA hands out portable video players with movies, although the selection was pretty limited. I didn't watch as I worked most of the way and/or chatted with a pleasant older HNL-based attorney, apparently a regular on this flight as the entire crew knew him.

We arrived on time at Gate 9 and I went up the adjacent escalator to the United Club. Looks just the same as last month.

And before a couple of flights departed.

And the same depressing and dark business center.

Same old food selections.

This was new but perhaps it the early morning stuff which was pretty much picked over.

I worked for couple of hours and then at around T-45, I decided to head for my gate.
It was then that it finally dawned on me that our flight was departing not from the main United concourse but rather from Gate 15, which is half way to Kauai from the United Club.

With construction finished, the garden is back to its usual beautiful norm.

HNL-EWR
UA 14
767-400
2:45p-6:30a +1
July 25, 2016
Dinner, Ambien and Breakfast

By the time I got to the gate, I was pretty much the last F passenger to board this older but still comfortable Continental 764.

Excellent crew and the best domestic meal in the last couple of years.
Today's choices options were Choice of chicken katsu, short rib or butternut squash ravioli.

While the salad was just a meh...

The short rib was out of this world delicious. Accompanied by wasabi mash potatoes and sweet and sour stir fry veggies, this was one the best domestic dishes of the last couple of years.

The lemon sorbet was refreshing, it's not really dessert. Just saying.

I popped an Ambien during dinner and went lie flat and to sleep shortly after dinner. Had a great 6 hours of sleep and awoke at around 60 minutes from landing, during breakfast service. I wasn't really hungry so I just picked at it.

Older and wiser, I headed directly to the United Club near the C-100 gates and put my name on the list for a shower. About an hour later, it was my turn. While the shower was welcome, this handicapped version was pretty sterile and depressing.

Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with your reviews w/ UA F. Might have to give them a try again but I'm happy with the service on AS.
Thank you Jimgotkp. I had three Alaska flights a couple of weeks ago and AS food leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

Originally Posted by WhoMovedMyPlane
Thanks for another entertaining TR! I always enjoy them, especially your domestic MRs
Thanks so much WhoMovedMyPlane. That's exactly what I've thought. Like the old AA. It's depressing how fast AA has declined.

Agreed, except it also seems that AA F meals now are worse than legacy UA Y, or the equivalent of UA international Y meals. I was stunned last year to experience meals in F on both UA and AA.
Indeed. Thank you gaobest.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Wow, UA definitely has definitely upped its domestic meals. That short rib looked a bit overcooked, but nevertheless decent for the longest domestic US flight. Shame UA doesn't provide menus on the long haul Hawaiian flights. Did they offer pre-departure mai tais? I know Delta still does, even on the morning LAX-HNL. Once UA refits the domestic 777 fleet to include the old PMUA Business Class seats, won't be a bad way at all to travel to the islands, unless you're stuck in the 3-4-3 rear.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At around T-45, I headed to Gate 109.

Lots of unhappy folks delayed by last night's epic storms.

EWR-NAS
UA 1458
A319
9:00a-12:10p (sked)
9:45a-12:30p (actual)
July 26, 2016
Breakfast

Bad luck today as the Nassau flight is on one of Jeff's penny pinching A319s, ordered without power outlets. Brilliant, yeah who need to recharge batteries these days. We were also delayed waiting for our crew who were arrived last night and couldn't legally depart at the scheduled time.

Breakfast was a choice of omelet, french toast or fruit plate.

The french toast was delicious and one of UA's best breakfast offerings.

Great scenery over the Bahamas and on our approach to Nassau.

Long customs lines this morning as we arrived at the same time as 2 other flights. Wouldn't have been so bad if the Gate Agent hadn't forgotten to unlock the door to the arrivals corridor. Add in the usual Bahamas time attitude of most of the customs agents and it took nearly 30 minutes to clear. With 60 minutes to go to departure, I hustled over to the US departures terminal. Amazingly there was no line at security, and I was thru PreClearance and in the Priority Plus Lounge in 10 minutes, where I was able to plug in and partial recharge my iPhone and laptop before yet another dark A319 flight.

NAS-IAH
UA 1455
A319
2:00p-4:00p
July 26,2016
Lunch

Another good crew for most of this flight.

Lunch choices of salmon, short ribs or some kind of pasta. I went with the salmon which was excellent.

And the usual fabulous baked on board chocolate chip cookie.

Then there was my seat-mate. A grandma with the rest of the family back in Economy.
The grandkids wanted to visit with grandma and basically stayed for half the flight. FA ignored them and I cranked up my Bose.

I passed on the United Club and decided to visit the new IAH Centurion Lounge, located in the E concourse, supposedly near Gate E5.

Of all the Centurion Lounges, I'm not giving it high marks although mostly due the out of the way location. Even though I knew the general location, there were few signs to guide one. I finally found the elevator but there was no indication in the elevator as to where to find the sucker. I eventually figured out that you had go down to the mezzanine. Of course!

But that was the easy part. That's the Lounge, waaaayy down the sterile hospital hallway.

IAH-LAX
UA 1547
737-800 BSI
6:07p-7:45p
July 26, 2016
Dinner

OK, I'm a little tired at this point and things didn't improve when Mr. DYKWIA was sitting in my 3B because his wife was in 3A. OK, it happens but don't just poach my seat and assume that I want your crappy seat. When he told me his seat was 4A, I told him "sorry, I'm not interesting in switching because I don't want a window seat". Turns out he was in actually in 4B so I swapped.

Tonight's options were jambalaya, chicken or pasta, I think. I love United's jambalaya and didn't much listen after hearing that.

Salad was the same meh I've seen over the last couple of days.

Never get tired of the baked on board chocolate chip cookie.

We arrived at LAX just before 8pm. Amazingly there was no one ahead of me at the T-7 parking kiosk. Traffic was reasonable on the 405 and I was home by 9:15p. Two days later, all flights had posted and I am officially 1K into 2018. Hasta la vista USdbaAA. Thanks for following this report.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
SFO777, have you experienced the new interior A319/320 aircraft yet? Power outlets and very nice (and large) tray tables, with a place to prop up an iPad to watch movies/etc. Hopefully you can get one of those soon, as they are much better than the "old" Airbus interiors.

Once again, Oscar proving he is 100x better than Smisek.

Thanks for detailing your MR. I enjoyed following along.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAL250
SFO777, have you experienced the new interior A319/320 aircraft yet? Power outlets and very nice (and large) tray tables, with a place to prop up an iPad to watch movies/etc. Hopefully you can get one of those soon, as they are much better than the "old" Airbus interiors.
Once again, Oscar proving he is 100x better than Smisek.
Thanks for detailing your MR. I enjoyed following along.
Thanks very much UAL250. Yes, I did get that new interior a few months ago. Very nice improvement, although I'm not a big fan of those slider seats.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Fantastic report, as always! 😉

The slider seats do induce "bun rot", but on the positive side the person cannot "slam-recline" their seatback into your laptop screen.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
AA first class meal service to Hawaii, given your pics, is superior to both UA and DL (especially because of that Hawaiian roll). That being sad, AA does need lie flat seats to be competitive, especially given that even HA is going that way...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks very much UAL250. Yes, I did get that new interior a few months ago. Very nice improvement, although I'm not a big fan of those slider seats.
I was thinking of asking the same question after I read about your experiences on the 'dark' A319/320s. I do agree with you about the slider seats, but the functionality is fantastic and I think UA did a decent job aesthetically. Then again, was never really a fan of CO's interiors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.