Search

Singapore to Washington DC on SQ Business & Virgin Atlantic Upper Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
You mean their marketing campaigns? Haha.
yes

Becasue BA and AA were flying 777s and 767
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

IAD Airport

The reason I flew all the way to Washington DC was to attend a conference for work purposes. I took the opportunity to arrive a couple of days early and spend the weekend in DC. The last time I came to DC was about 15 years ago. I will share some videos of the hotels I stayed at and what I saw later. But first, let me fast forward to the journey back home.

Scared of missing my flight (and reading from news sources on how long TSA lines at US airports could be), I arrived at Dulles very early, even before the check-in counters for my return flight VS22 opened. I recall the counters opened close to 1500hrs (for the 1855 flight) and I got to the terminal by 1430hrs. Check in was pretty smooth.

After checking in, I immediately headed to clear immigration and security. Fortunately, this time round, things were very smooth. There was a line for security, however, I don't think it took more than 20 minutes. I was mentally prepared to take the Star Wars like vehicle again, but this time round it was an underground train.

I would make my way to Gates A, the train ride was very fast.

Once I got to Terminal A, I was relaxed. It was time to find the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse and relax a bit. I had a good 2.5 hours before the flight. I kept walking and I nearly missed the lounge entrance. Later on, when I spoke to the guy at the reception, he asked me whether the check in staff had informed me that the lounge was just opposite Gates A32. Apparently this was the gate that Virgin Atlantic always uses, so it would be easy to get to the plane from the lounge. I replied that nobody told me where the lounge was. Perhaps the check in staff assumed I knew. No matter, I found it!

This is a short video of checking in and getting myself to the lounge. Now time to get some rest, some food, and catch up on some work!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Feast in Washington DC Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse

I was the first passenger in that lounge that afternoon! Cool. First time in this lounge, first passenger that afternoon, and I could start my video of an empty lounge (other than lounge staff). I read that the lounge only opened at 3pm.

Another picture of the still empty lounge.

There was a Saudi Airline plane parked just outside. It looked really close. God bless you.

I figured that the Saudi Airlines would depart before I boarded my flight. So I made a video of the pushback. Fun.

Here is the dining area. I settled into one of the seats there and got some feed. Of course, you could order food from anywhere.

There was a second level to this lounge, but just a small area with some seats.

Ordered some food and drink. And the bartender was making my drink. Very nice.

The menu was interesting. There was no buffet area, rather, you ordered your food and get it delivered to you. Very cool. Here is a snapshot of 'Bigger Bites'.

My first food order was the Kashmiri Indian style curry and it was good! I like it that the serving size was not too large. Gave me space to eat more.

They had a comprehensive drinks menu. What caught my attention was all these interesting beers and I had to try one!

I tried the Flying Dog Seasonal Single Hop Imperial IPA Frederick, MD, 10% to 12%. It was really good! Never had this before. Looked like this.

There was other food as well, including light bites, which I tried some too.

Even though I arrived early, time flew by quickly. I was making the video of the lounge, plus the Saudi Airlines pushback, plus all the food (yeah I had plenty, see the video), plus surfing the internet and checking my emails. Suddenly I realised that the lounge was very empty though the receptionist hadn't made the final call. Checking my watch, I realised that it was close to take-off time so it was time to pack up and board the plane. Very good and enjoyable lounge. Well done Virgin Atlantic! Here is the lounge video showing my feast.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:48 am
Original Poster

This is the plane that would bring me to London Heathrow.

So, I boarded the plane. Economy class passengers were still boarding but I took the priority queue. The boarding was via the middle door, so when I got in, it was the bar area. I turned left and headed into the Upper Class cabin. I realised that most Upper Class passengers had boarded. My seat today was 1A and I knew that this was the window seat right at the front of the cabin. But when I got there, I found a passenger sitting comfortably on my seat. I was pretty sure he was in the wrong seat, but instead of asking the passenger, I asked the cabin crew for help. The male flight attendant saw my boarding pass, and then asked the guy seated in my seat for this boarding pass, which was duly presented. Turned out that this chap had Seat 2A, i.e. one behind me. But there was another chap seated in 2A! Turned out that the latter chap was supposed to be in 3A. So both of them had to move. All was fine, we all settled into our new seats, but not before the chap behind me had to make some space in the overhead compartment for my bag. He deposited his shoes overhead, but there was just no more space for my cabin bag, so he took the down.

This picture shows you my view from Seat 1A. Notice the position of the bottle of water. That is where the cabin crew puts the water bottle before we board. Well, the placement of this bottle suggests that there is very little space in the seat. As per previous flight, I put it in my shoe.

Announcement in progress. This is how the side console looks like, with the controls for the seats. The device can also be taken out from the rest, and both the handheld and the main screen were touchscreens.

I had plenty to eat in the Clubhouse, so I wasn't feeling hungry. Still, it was time to check the menu. Here were the starters.

Next, the mains. There were 4 choices to choose from. Decisions, decisions.

I check out the Amenity kit, very similar to the one I received on the LHR-IAD leg.

Even though the seat was angled inwards (towards the cabin), I could turn and video the outside as the plane pushbacked and started to taxi. Caught this Air France plane moving past. Serial number F-GSQC. It is a Boeing 777-328 ( first flight May 2004), according to FlightRadar24.

A good front look at these vehicles to ferry arriving passengers to the immigration hall. Reminds me of Star Wars.

Spotted this United Express turboprop serial number N366PH. It is a Bombardier Dash Q200 (Feb 1998/18 years).

Spotted this unmarked plane and i had to zoom in and try to get some info. Only upon return and staring at the video clip from my computer, I could see the registration number which was N423AX. According to planespotters, it is a Boeing 767-324, first flight 12 Jan 1996, i.e. 20 years old.

Spotted this Delta plane, serial number N186GJ - Canadair CRJ-900LR, first flight Feb 2008. Seating capacity is 76 to 90. I think this plane was also waiting to takeoff, but we were first.

Didn't occur to me earlier, but I suddenly noticed that the privacy screens were not 100% opaque. The similar screens on my flight from LHR-IAD were opaque, so I am not sure why they changed the design on this aircraft, which seemed to be newer in terms of fittings.

Alright, let's sit back, relax and enjoy the takeoff, as in this video.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Meals

We were now in the air, and on our way to London Heathrow.

And I decided to watch Star Wars Episode VII, again.

When I started the movie, Richard Branson appeared.

Started with some red wine and chips. Wine was good!

For the starter, I opted for the creamy spring onion soup. Good taste. Portion wasn't too big, which suited me very fine.

Now, this was my main. I decided to try the Togarashi Salmon salad because the description was very interesting. I am so glad I tried! It was a beautiful Japanese inspired dish that was so suited to my taste. The dish had a very good balance. The salad and noodles were cold, but the salmon was warm. The mix was perfect. I certainly didn't expect this from Virgin Atlantic. Very well done!

For the dessert, I chose the duo of mousses. Not bad too.

It was a full dinner and I managed to eat a good amount, even though I had so much food in the lounge earlier. Shucks, I need to work out so hard to 'pay' for all this indulgence when I get home. Thereafter, I converted the seat into a bed (I knew how to do it now) and settled down for some sleep.

I probably slept for about 3 hours and it was about 1hr 20 min of the flight to go when I was served with my hot breakfast. I was pretty full then, and I couldn't eat much at all. So I left most of the food.

We didn't have to circle around much in the air (Heathrow could get busy and planes get put on a holding pattern) and the landing was pretty smooth. On the ground, I spotted this Virgin plane. This time it was a 4-engine jet.

Here is the video, part 2 of the return Virgin Atlantic leg, covering the meals.

We got to our gate and I disembarked. Overall, it was another pleasant flight on Virgin Atlantic. The Japanese salmon dish was awesome!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

SilverKris Lounge London Heathrow

From Terminal 3, I had to find my way to Terminal 2. I must have been rather tired because right now, I can't even recall what the process was like, though probably I had to take a bus to get to Terminal 2. All I remember was that the process was smooth and even though there was some walking to do, I managed to get to Terminal 2B quite quickly and found my way to the Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge. I also remembered that I took a shower in the lounge, before getting some light food to eat. They had 2 or 3 shower rooms, and all were empty when I got there. Felt better and more refreshed after a warm shower.

Here are some pictures (screengrabs from my video). Terminal 2 is the Star Alliance Terminal.

There was a small bar area, but nobody was manning it. Perhaps too early for a drink?

Copies of local Singapore papers (Straits Times, Lianhe Zaobao) were available.

This was breakfast time. There was a decent spread of hot food, including the usual western fare as well as Asian/Singaporean food - chicken congee and Nasi Lemak. I wasn't feeling hungry so I just had some congee, which was quite bland but that was the whole idea!

Soon enough, the lounge staff made a final boarding call for my SQ flight back to Singapore. And a group of passengers, upon hearing the announcement, headed out to the gates together. Overall, I had a pleasant time in the lounge. Felt better after a shower. Here is a short video of the SilverKris Lounge at LHR Terminal 2B (Business Class section).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:29 am
Original Poster

SQ 305 - LHR to SIN - Seat 11K

The registration of the SQ Boeing 777 was 9V-SWK, a retrofitted Boeing 777 with the New Business class product. According to flightradar24, this aircraft first flew in June 2007

I managed to snag seat 11K on this flight. Fortunate. For some reason, when I was choosing my seat, 11K was available. Perhaps somebody had just given up this seat! It is a window seat right at the front of the Business class cabin.

Seat 11K (and the entire Row 11) has additional legroom because there is no seat in front of us. This picture shows you the additional legroom and space. Certainly felt like my own private pod.

The cabin in front of us was the First Class cabin. 4 seats only. As the curtains had to be drawn for takeoff and landing, I could see the First class cabins from my seat.

This is what I meant by plenty of room for me to stretch my legs.

Spotted this Air Canada plane at another gate from my window. Brought back fond memories. About a year back, I flew on Air Canada from LHR to Ottawa. It was an enjoyable flight.

Checking out the menu. A full meal service, starting with canape (the satay). For the red-eye flights, I have noticed that they skip the satay, for a faster service. Four choices for mains, but I had Booked the Cook.

For breakfast, served before landing in Singapore, there were 3 choices for the mains.

Pushback was on time. As we taxi-ied, I could see many aircraft movements, on tarmac, landing etc. Just managed to get a glimpse of this British Airways Boeing 747 land. Not sure when BA's Boeing 747 will be phased out. Anybody knows?

Good weather and good visibility. A view of London after takeoff. See you again soon London!

This is the video of the first part of the LHR-SIN flight, covering the boarding up till the take-off.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Hainanese Chicken Rice

Time for some food! Lunch service would begin soon after takeoff. The Singapore Girl preparing my satay.

For my main course, I had 'Booked the Cook' and it was the Hainanese Chicken Rice! Hainanese Chicken Rice is one of Singapore's most famous hawker dish. Yes, hawker dish. BBC wrote an article "A dish worth a 15 hour flight" - http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2015...15-hour-flight. Quoting from the article, "Chicken rice is a full meal born out of the frugality that comes with strife and a battle to survive, as the Hainanese struggled to establish themselves in Singapore." And here it is.

A closer look at the sauces that came with the chicken rice dish. Black sauce, ginger with oil, and the red chilli sauce. The butter looked so out of place here.

Some readers (especially those from Singapore or Malaysia) may be wondering why in the world did I choose Hainanese chicken rice for my flight? SQ has so many wonderful gourmet choices, so why choose this chicken rice when I can easily get very good chicken rice from all over Singapore? Well, the answer was that I had wanted to try the SQ version of the Hainanese Chicken rice for a long time now. Yes, in all my previous flights, I had tried other dishes (e.g. Lobster Thermidor), but I think it was now time to try it and get it off the bucket list! No regrets. It was good! I like the white meat and I finished the chicken (goes very well with the chilli). I also finished the dessert, but didn't care too much for the cheese.

When I completed my lunch, it was about 10.5 hours to Singapore. By now, I started to feel tired (no chance to sleep much on the earlier Transatlantic flight) so it was time to convert the seat to bed mode, and go to sleep.

Slept for about 5 hours and I woke up automatically. Quite expected, as I usually can't sleep for long extended hours on a plane. I asked for the Afternoon Tea service and this is what I got. It wasn't too bad, however, the spread certainly paled in comparison to the Afternoon Tea service on Virgin Atlantic (see earlier part of this review).

After this snack, I tried to get more sleep, but I don't think I was very successful. Anyway, it was soon time for breakfast service. For the mains, I chose the Asian option, which was beef brisket noodles. Taste was good. Came with green chilli garnishing.

When we touched down in Singapore, it was still dark, early morning. The sun didn't rise till about 7am. It was a very good flight and we disembarked very smoothly.

Getting through immigration was also smooth. I decided to visit the DFS store, which is just after immigration control, to buy a bottle of something. Taxes on alcohol are high in Singapore, so there would be substantial savings. I am only allowed one bottle of hard liquor (e.g. whiskey) so I chose the Johnny Walker Gold Label. Here is the video I made. Luggage came out quickly and I walked to the taxi stand (which was very near the exit) and got onboard a taxi to go home. All very smooth and fast, thank you Changi Airport!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2

After this snack, I tried to get more sleep, but I don't think I was very successful. Anyway, it was soon time for breakfast service. For the mains, I chose the Asian option, which was beef brisket noodles. Taste was good. Came with green chilli garnishing.
Interesting lunch photo
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Interesting lunch photo
Thanks. Actually, these noodles were served as part of breakfast service, just before landing in Singapore Changi.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:21 pm

thanks for the video of the IAD Virgin Clubhouse. I often fly out of Iad but never on Virgin. I have been told the lounge is great. I will be flying QR J out of Iad in sept and they use the Virgin clubhouse. So I searched trip reports for this. Again thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmj9905
thanks for the video of the IAD Virgin Clubhouse. I often fly out of Iad but never on Virgin. I have been told the lounge is great. I will be flying QR J out of Iad in sept and they use the Virgin clubhouse. So I searched trip reports for this. Again thanks.
Thanks for your note! Hope you enjoy your flight. Yes, the Virgin Clubhouse at IAD was great. I enjoyed my time there very much. Cheers and have a great day!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The Virgin lounge in Washington doesn't look great to me. Looks like cheap student digs.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Thanks for the report. I usually fly AA/BA transatlantic but I have a trip on VS Upper Class coming in June and I thoroughly look forward to it!
Old May 1, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Thanks for the report. I usually fly AA/BA transatlantic but I have a trip on VS Upper Class coming in June and I thoroughly look forward to it!
Have a great flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.