Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

To The Frontlines Against ISIS

To The Frontlines Against ISIS

Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Without a doubt the best trip report I've had the pleasure of reading on FlyerTalk. Absolutely incredible pictures.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Wow! Incredible, amasing... I still hope you will end up writing a book, actually books.!!This trip alone deserves one.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Great report and thank you mainly for showing people going about their daily lives as we all do. Most of your photos match my own memories from traveling around the ME and Central Asia, but in order to do that I have to forget about the awful atrocities that have been going on in Syria and Iraq and just see it as another place in the world, inhabited by our brothers and sisters.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I always appreciate your TRs and the wonderful photos you always take of the "everyday people" wherever you are. "Everyday" takes on a whole new meaning in this one - but it's great to see the smiles and the resolute gazes amidst all that s happening there. Truly thank you for a view into this area. Travel safely
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:28 pm

On the one hand that's pretty cool, on the other I always wonder with trips like that what happens if the traveler gets captured. Do soldiers have to risk their lives to save a dude who's there to write a trip report?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for sharing!

This is something that the majority of us will never experience. Glad you are back safe.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Crikey!

It's going to be hard to go back to reading the litanies of luxury found in the majority of FT trip reports after having experienced your Syrian adventure, even indirectly.

Your reportage is in a class by itself. ^
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:41 pm

This is wonderful, thank you so much. Beautiful photos, and I learned a lot!
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH FTL, QR Silver, Hilton Diamond
Incredible, fantastic trip report! Thanks for sharing! Surreal world between civil war, death and normal life...good-looking people, smiles and warmth... Your trip report is much more valuable as most of the "regular" newspaper articles or TV reports. Thanks again and travel safely!
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Wow, amazing TR! The photographs left me speechless.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:06 pm

Truly amazing, DanielW. This is probably the first TR that I've read through in it's entirety instead of just flipping through the pics and skimming. It's one thing to look at news stories, with which one gains a sort of numbness to what is happening there, but to be able to see these towns in their entirety as well as the people who live there is a privilege. Thank you.

Also, I knew Kurdish women were fighting, but didn't realize the extent to which they were. Nice to see the equality.

Originally Posted by DanielW
the US has decided to ignore Turkey
Unfortunate that it took this long, but hopefully other countries do so as well.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:26 pm

^^
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
This was intense. Speechless.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:40 pm

This is by far the best TR I've read, you really should be working for national geographic! Makes you really appreciate living in a first world country where you only worry about gate lice and economy seats.

I'm quite surprised how organized ISIS is with ID cards and organizational rules and structure.
Do you get a pleasant VIP meeting every time you go to a western country now that you have a syrian stamp on your passport?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Thank you for sharing such an amazing report and its adjoining pictorial that both educated and humanized the conflict for me. I got a greater understanding about the factions fighting against ISIS in your TR than from the daily news media. ^
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Do you think you will get a call from the US government?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.