House Hunting in Orange County via AA and UA First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

House Hunting in Orange County via AA and UA First Class

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Today was my first day of work at DIA (I took the A train). Even though I got off at 10am, a friend was flying home to IND later in the afternoon. I took a 2nd trip out to DIA at 4. We had dinner at Root Down based on your recommendation. It was pretty good. I had the burger with bacon & cheese. My friend had the Colorado Lamb sliders. I loved the sweet potato fries with the mustard looking dipping sauce. The parties on either side had the bento box like your wife had. By the way, I am working right next to the AA Lounge on the A Concourse.

Last edited by HawaiiTrvlr; May 3, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Interesting and different TR! Hopefully you are under contract. I must admit I just spent some non-trivial time on Zillow and Redfin looking at the area. I think the DC real estate market has finally gotten to me since I found myself looking at the low-single-digit $M listings and thinking they were pretty good for what you get.
Thank you arlflyer. It is an interesting exercise to check out prices. There is an awful lot on the market and some have been there for a long, long time. Glad we're only renting so we can see how we like the place and take our time buying something.

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Great report as usual! And thanks for the house pics, as a real estate geek, I'm always interested in seeing houses around the globe. Hopefully you get really nice place down in OC!
Thanks very much DALtoAAL.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Today was my first day of work at DIA (I took the A train). Even though I got off at 10am, a friend was flying home to IND later in the afternoon. I took a 2nd trip out to DIA at 4. We had dinner at Root Down based on your recommendation. It was pretty good. I had the burger with bacon & cheese. My friend had the Colorado Lamb sliders. I loved the sweet potato fries with the mustard looking dipping sauce. The parties on either side had the bento box like your wife had. By the way, I am working right next to the AA Lounge on the A Concourse.
Thanks so much HawaiiTrvlr. Glad you enjoy. By right next door, do you mean in the USO or SkyClub renovation?? Those are the only things I can think of right next door.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by SFO777
. . . Glad we're only renting so we can see how we like the place and take our time buying something. . .
If you don't mind relinquishing a view for walkability, check out Corona Del Mar, Balboa Island & Lido Island. 10" from SNA. 5" from Fashion Island.

More inventory & taking longer to sell. I'm NOT a realtor. ACCDraw.2 & I are in same boat as you. Waiting for sellers to get the memo, their house isn't worth "that much".
Old May 5, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Congratulations on the move. Funny, OC is on our family's shortlist for new places to move (we're done with NoVA), along with Denver, SLC, PDX, and SEA. Hope you enjoy your new home!

And thanks for the nice TR as always.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:23 am

ACCDraw – in Newport I think the best value you can get for your money is Newport Heights. Lido is nice, but in my opinion only advantageous to the heights if you can afford harbor front. Driving onto Balboa Island on a summer Saturday is miserable … a few times of that would make me hate living there. I think SFO777 is on the right track settling in south Orange County. You get a bit more for your money outside of Newport/Laguna and really the only thing you’re losing is proximity to Los Angeles. If you don’t require commuting to Los Angeles area regularly there’s really nothing in my opinion that justifies the price difference between Newport and San Clemente for example.

I think Huntington Beach is interesting too. If you’re looking $5 MM plus I certainly wouldn’t look there, but there’s good value in the $2-3 MM range. And if you’re up in Huntington Harbour you have easy access to Seal Beach and Long Beach for restaurants.

Not sure I subscribe to the idea Newport Beach housing is due for a major correction. I don’t think there’s a lot of overleveraged residents. Banks haven’t been doing the crazy loans to my knowledge. There are no new housing developments with new buyers carrying high mortgages. Most of my neighbors have lived in their houses for years and have no or minimal mortgages. I paid cash. This seems to be true of people I know from Newport Coast to West Newport. That type of environment doesn’t breed fire sales to crash home prices. If you can find a place you’d be happy living for the next 10-15 years down here, even buying now after the market has come up a bit of the lows, it’ll likely be a decent investment in the end … If you plan to live there only a couple years and then expect to be able to move up I think in most cases you’re better off renting.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thank You for another great trip report...

(not wanting to derail the thread, I sent you a PM. I hope it is helpful)
Old May 6, 2016, 5:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mrfussion
ACCDraw – in Newport I think the best value you can get for your money is Newport Heights. Lido is nice, but in my opinion only advantageous to the heights if you can afford harbor front. Driving onto Balboa Island on a summer Saturday is miserable … a few times of that would make me hate living there. I think SFO777 is on the right track settling in south Orange County. You get a bit more for your money outside of Newport/Laguna and really the only thing you’re losing is proximity to Los Angeles. If you don’t require commuting to Los Angeles area regularly there’s really nothing in my opinion that justifies the price difference between Newport and San Clemente for example.

I think Huntington Beach is interesting too. If you’re looking $5 MM plus I certainly wouldn’t look there, but there’s good value in the $2-3 MM range. And if you’re up in Huntington Harbour you have easy access to Seal Beach and Long Beach for restaurants.

Not sure I subscribe to the idea Newport Beach housing is due for a major correction. I don’t think there’s a lot of overleveraged residents. Banks haven’t been doing the crazy loans to my knowledge. There are no new housing developments with new buyers carrying high mortgages. Most of my neighbors have lived in their houses for years and have no or minimal mortgages. I paid cash. This seems to be true of people I know from Newport Coast to West Newport. That type of environment doesn’t breed fire sales to crash home prices. If you can find a place you’d be happy living for the next 10-15 years down here, even buying now after the market has come up a bit of the lows, it’ll likely be a decent investment in the end … If you plan to live there only a couple years and then expect to be able to move up I think in most cases you’re better off renting.
San Clemente is very also very expensive. Our town home is only 1150 SQFT and is worth about 550K- because it has an ocean view and is near a golf course.

Needless to say, there is a lot going on in South Orange county to give prospective buyers or renters cause for caution when selecting a home. (hence my PM to the OP).
Old May 7, 2016, 10:50 am

I have a strange feeling that the OP may know a thing or two about investments, markets, and valuations, and that he will probably turn out just fine...
Old May 7, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACCDraw
If you don't mind relinquishing a view for walkability, check out Corona Del Mar, Balboa Island & Lido Island. 10" from SNA. 5" from Fashion Island. More inventory & taking longer to sell. I'm NOT a realtor. ACCDraw.2 & I are in same boat as you. Waiting for sellers to get the memo, their house isn't worth "that much".
Thanks ACCDraw. We did look at one house in Corona Del Mar and considered Balboa, but thought was a little too beachy and crowded for our tastes. No idea where housing prices are going but there did seem to be a healthy inventory of homes on the market.

Originally Posted by UAL250
Congratulations on the move. Funny, OC is on our family's shortlist for new places to move (we're done with NoVA), along with Denver, SLC, PDX, and SEA. Hope you enjoy your new home!
And thanks for the nice TR as always.
Thank you UAL250. We keep searching for the perfect place and trying them out. Looking forward to our move to OC.

Originally Posted by mrfussion

mrfussion, thanks so much for your perspective of the market. We indeed found more value the further south we went. And if you don't need to be on the water, the values seemed somewhat reasonable, relatively speaking. We found a great house with a view on a 12 month lease (with option for 2nd year).

Originally Posted by Martina70
Thank You for another great trip report...
(not wanting to derail the thread, I sent you a PM. I hope it is helpful)
Thank you Martina70 and for your PM. Will respond shortly.

Originally Posted by Martina70
San Clemente is very also very expensive. Our town home is only 1150 SQFT and is worth about 550K- because it has an ocean view and is near a golf course. Needless to say, there is a lot going on in South Orange county to give prospective buyers or renters cause for caution when selecting a home. (hence my PM to the OP).
I guess everything is relative. San Clemente prices seemed downright cheap compared to northern OC.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I have a strange feeling that the OP may know a thing or two about investments, markets, and valuations, and that he will probably turn out just fine...
LOL. Thanks arlflyer.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's funny you're moving back to CA (where I grew up), as most Californians are moving here to CO and making life hell for us 🙄😁. I'm thinking of doing the same though with how crazy the market is now, but definitely never back to CA for me, I'd go broke quickly!

Wish you both the best, keep the great TRs coming!
Old May 9, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denCSA
It's funny you're moving back to CA (where I grew up), as most Californians are moving here to CO and making life hell for us 🙄😁. I'm thinking of doing the same though with how crazy the market is now, but definitely never back to CA for me, I'd go broke quickly! Wish you both the best, keep the great TRs coming!
Thanks so much denCSA.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:00 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Very nice TR and good luck with move!

That UA club spread looks decent... surprising.

I'm in the same boat too- Moving from Chicago to Dallas later this month!
Old May 11, 2016, 2:35 pm

I lived in Southern California in the early 90s during a bad recession and saw these type of houses near Laguna Beach.

I wonder what the prices were then compared to today.

They are gorgeous but a few fall down the hills.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I do hope you don't have your shoes on the bulkhead under that blanket

The St Regis looks like a really nice property.

Glad you found a new home without delay, and hope the move has gone well!

Last edited by Genius1; Jun 11, 2016 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Very nice TR and good luck with move! That UA club spread looks decent... surprising. I'm in the same boat too- Moving from Chicago to Dallas later this month!
Thank you thetravelingRedhead. Hope you had a smooth move to Texas.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I lived in Southern California in the early 90s during a bad recession and saw these type of houses near Laguna Beach. I wonder what the prices were then compared to today. They are gorgeous but a few fall down the hills.
Thanks Bretteee. I think we both wish that we'd some Laguna real estate back in the early 90s.

Originally Posted by Genius1
I do hope you don't have your shoes on the bulkhead under that blanket The St Regis looks like a really nice property.
Glad you found a new home without delay, and hope the move has gone well!
Thanks Genius1. Not to worry. Shoes off and only socks under the blanket.
We're almost completely finished with the move... moved in 10 days ago and the boxes are all gone. The art is being hung today... by a professional since Mrs. SFO refuses to let me hang pictures. Not sure why she insisted on someone else. No one can see all those hit-and-miss holes in the wall when the picture covers them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.