Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

a FUNny thing happened going to and from Tuvalu...Cathay F, Etihad Apts, Fiji Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

a FUNny thing happened going to and from Tuvalu...Cathay F, Etihad Apts, Fiji Biz

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Yeah for some reason the Saturday flight only goes certain times of year. Looks like it starts up Jul 2nd.
It WAS going next week....until a couple weeks ago apparently. Ugh.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think I flew to Tuvalu on a Tuesday. Then the Thursday flight didn't come back for us. There was no Saturday flight.

I thought I would be stuck there until the following Tuesday, but they sent a plane on Sunday of all days. Bring extra cash to pay your hotel for 5-7 days if you are stuck there.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I thought I would be stuck there until the following Tuesday, but they sent a plane on Sunday of all days. Bring extra cash to pay your hotel for 5-7 days if you are stuck there.
Yeah, already got enough for 5 nights...figure if they cancel the Thursday return hopefully they'll rescue us by Saturday. Alternatively, I may go back on the same plane I go on...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Wishing you good luck in Tuvalu
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:28 pm

I still reckon my suggestion for ironmanjt and hauteboy to charter a yacht together would be more reliable than Fiji Airways / Air Mess. Plus way more exciting too.

I think I flew to Tuvalu on a Tuesday. Then the Thursday flight didn't come back for us. There was no Saturday flight.

Yikes! What did you do for six days in tiny Tuvalu?! Some serious down time I guess.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:13 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
I still reckon my suggestion for ironmanjt and hauteboy to charter a yacht together would be more reliable than Fiji Airways / Air Mess. Plus way more exciting too.
I'm maybe up for that Supposedly the government got a new supply ship this year.

Definitely getting stranded on Tuvalu would be my worst case scenario. I think there is a 30AUD departure tax as well, and my hotel is priced in AUD$. Need to figure out where to get some ahead of time.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:07 am

Can't wait to read an updated thought on Fiji Biz class. I did LAX-NAN ~18 months ago and it was great.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Definitely getting stranded on Tuvalu would be my worst case scenario. I think there is a 30AUD departure tax as well, and my hotel is priced in AUD$. Need to figure out where to get some ahead of time.
It's called a bank, you should try it

...and what are they going to do if you get stranded without money? Make you stay there? Hahaha, I'm going to guess eventually they would relent and let you wire it.

Oh, and I am looking into chartering a private jet for an overnight stay worst case upon arrival in Fiji...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: trash airline program here
Originally Posted by ironmanjt

Oh, and I am looking into chartering a private jet for an overnight stay worst case upon arrival in Fiji...
I guess it may not be awfully expensive... Only 650ish miles. Maybe $5k? Although there may not be much competition for that route lol.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gripevo
I guess it may not be awfully expensive... Only 650ish miles. Maybe $5k? Although there may not be much competition for that route lol.
Looks like the Nivaga III (Tuvalu supply boat) is in Suva right now...
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...2855860/page:2
Old May 2, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Looks like the Nivaga III (Tuvalu supply boat) is in Suva right now...
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...2855860/page:2
...and this helps me how? I don't think either of us has the several weeks a boat trip would take!

...and with that, off to NAN, and hopefully I'll be on a plane to FUN in less than 4 hours!
Old May 3, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like his plane made it to Tuvalu. But the hard part is leaving . . .
Old May 3, 2016, 7:35 am

Looks like his plane made it to Tuvalu. But the hard part is leaving . . .
Yep, apparently some last minute drama, but he arrived in country #192 Ok.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:31 am

Drama? It says the flight departed right on time. Only he could create drama out of that. I await his report.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
...and this helps me how? I don't think either of us has the several weeks a boat trip would take!

...and with that, off to NAN, and hopefully I'll be on a plane to FUN in less than 4 hours!
Just listing options It's a new ship they only just got it in Feb, so it shouldn't be in too bad a condition yet.

If you get stuck there's a container ship going to Tarawa/Majuro from Funafuti apparently on May 5th.. Not sure if they take passengers though!

http://www.pdl123.co.nz/common/downl...i_schedule.pdf

edit. looks like they do. Graham Hughes took Southern Pearl to Tuvalu on his all-overland countries quest.
http://www.theodysseyexpedition.com/2011/12

Last edited by hauteboy; May 3, 2016 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.