Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Long Road Back to Australia - Etihad First + Lufthansa First + JL F and more!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Long Road Back to Australia - Etihad First + Lufthansa First + JL F and more!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Gotcha! From your statement, I thought you were talking about all of the lounges at DEL, not just the contract lounges. Yeah, there are some better Plaza Premium domestic lounges, than the domestic Plaza Premium lounge at DEL, so I'll give you that. Since I very rarely visit the contract lounges at DEL (I did visit one about 2 weeks ago, on a 9W J flight), I love transiting, or O/D'ing at DEL, just because of the lounges. But the new GVK F/J lounge at T2 at BOM is also awesome. I love it. Did you try it?

JW Marriott Sahar looks awesome. If I may ask, did you use MR points or cash? And do you have MR status? Would like to know how they treat their elites.
Just finishing the next flight + GVK lounge review, should be up tomorrow.

And no, for JW I paid cash, but I don't have a MR status since I always stay at different hotels each time. For a non-elite, they already treat you really well, so even if no extra attention is paid, it's already top notch.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: points traveller
looks interesting - subscribing.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
This promises to be an epic TR, looking forward to the next installments, jubbing ! ^
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i can see a great report in the works here!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Mumbai to Abu Dhabi (Jet Airways First Class 777-300ER)

Jet Airways Boeing 777-300ER
Mumbai - Abu Dhabi
Depart: 4:20am
Arrive: 6:10am
Class: First Class

Note: For another perspective, check out my previous Jet Airways First Class Report.
I appreciate when airlines give you extra amenities, especially before the flight even begins - such as Chauffeur Driven pick ups, and Etihad does this really well. Flying first, you usually get an E-Class Mercedes pick up so you do go in style.

Upon getting to the airport (literally 5 minutes later) the chauffeur informed me to enter through the last gates which is where Etihad check-in counters are located, which I did. Unfortunately it seems like there was a mix up as there were only Jet Airways counters, not Etihad, as they had moved - but for some reason no one knew where they were. So I had to trudge back to to the TV screen's to find that they had moved to the complete opposite end of the check-in area, which was slightly annoying, but it gave me a change to check out the beautifully designed Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai, as this was my first time here.

After a short wait in line, I checked my bags in and they directed me to the Express security checks. When I last flew this flight from Delhi, there was a staff member to walk me all the way through to the security clearance area, but there was no such service this time - which is fine, since it turns out that the express security check area was in a separate area from the normal security area, and I was through in a matter of seconds. Once I was done with immigration I headed for the GVK Mumbai Lounge - which was frankly one of the most gorgeous lounges I have ever seen. The business class section was utterly packed, but a staff member of the lounge showed me to the separate, and slightly private First Class area, which was nice and empty save for one other passenger.

I was seated by the friendly (and professional) wait staff in the First Class section, and given a drinks and food menu - which was a nice touch as opposed to the buffet option in the non First Class area. The only downside was that there were no real lounge areas, as it was dining tables only.

I decided since I was up, I'd start off with Champagne - a nice Moet & Chandon, which is honestly not a bad choice for a lounge, and a contract one at that.

I wasn't really hungry, but I wanted one last taste of India before I left so I ordered a favorite of mine - Gulab Jamun! If you've never tried it before, it's a must have.

It was presented in a very nice large dish, and they were hot - and tasted fresh, so they may have been made upon request. As usual, these were very delicious, and not overly sweet. Yes, I knwo Champagne + Gulab Jamun is a totally weird combo - and it exactly didn't mix well together, but when in Rome.. or Mumbai in this case.

The staff promised me they'd let me know when boarding had started, and right on cue two of them came around and told me it was time to board. I thanked them and started a 10 minute walk, rather impressed with a beautiful contract/non-airline lounge. As I got to the gate, I walked straight to the First/Business Class side to board, and entered the plane. A male cabin crew member, who looked like he was totally disinterested in his job, and the flight, showed me to my seat, and that was probably the last interaction I had with him for the entire flight, though I felt like I was asking him for a favor when I asked how long the flight was, which was odd considering how amazing Etihad teams have been in the past. Nevertheless, I settled in and tried to take some quick pictures before the apparently full First Class section filled up.

As always, Jet Airways do not have the most modern or amazing seats in the sky - but they are fairly comfortable and the warm tones are soothing. And as I always say - beat's flying in Economy! As I settled in, one of the younger female cabin crew staff asked what I would like to drink, and I just settled for a fresh-ish Orange Juice.

It was of course accompanied by the usual signed welcome letter, a hot tower, and dates. I skipped the Arabic Coffee this time. I found this flight odd, because most staff seemed to be in an unpleasant mood, without smiles or pleasantries, except for the younger female member that was interacting with my side of the cabin. None introduced themselves by name though, except the cabin crew head, a British gentleman, but he was nowhere to be seen till the end either.

I settled for a cinnamon danish and a chocolate danish for breakfast, but neither were really appetizing. I'm not a chocolate person, so I didn't like that, while the cinnamon danish was passable, though both were nice and warm. Knowing the long day ahead, I decided to take a nap before landing.

With the doors closed, the 'cabin' feels quite private and spacious as well, so I took a few pics to give an idea.

Like I said, for a 3.5 hour flight, the seats and bed are comfortable, but I highly doubt I would feel the same after 10 hours on these, if presented with that option - especially considering how old their touch screen and entertainment systems are. I did manage to get 1-1.5 hours of light sleep before I was woken up by the captain's announcement that we were landing. The Cabin Crew head came and informed me which gate to go to for the next Etihad flight, which was a personal touch at the very least.

Once we landed, at a gate this time rather than a remote stand like my previous Jet Flight to AUH, I exited the plane to a very welcome surprise, where there was a Etihad ground staff member with a placard/sign with my name on it, along with a airport staff to carry my carry-on bag! I wondered what was in store for me...

Last edited by jubbing; May 3, 2016 at 6:54 am
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What an epic way to get to Australia from India. Subscribing for more.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
looks interesting - subscribing.
Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by JohnRain
This promises to be an epic TR, looking forward to the next installments, jubbing ! ^
Cheers for reading Mr. JohnRain

Originally Posted by aidy
i can see a great report in the works here!
Working towards that, cheers!

Originally Posted by avneeshj
What an epic way to get to Australia from India. Subscribing for more.
Thanks mate, looking forward to sharing as I try to write when I can!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Great TR so far. Also this...

Originally Posted by jubbing
I found this flight odd, because most staff seemed to be in an unpleasant mood, without smiles or pleasantries...
That perfectly describes the crew I had on both of my Jet Airways operated Etihad flights last year.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Abu Dhabi to London (Etihad First Class A380)

Etihad A380
Abu Dhabi - London
Depart: 8:30am
Arrive: 1:32pm
Class: First Class Apartment

Don't forget to check out my other Etihad A380 Reports for a different perspective:

Continuing on the previous Jet Airways First Class Trip Report, I mentioned that I arrived to a Etihad ground staff member waiting for me with a placard/sign with my name on it, along with a airport staff, as I discovered, to carry my carry-on bag! I couldn't fathom why I was getting the special treatment and there was no one else from First Class getting the same treatment, so I walked up to them and with a smile told her that I was indeed the person she was waiting for. She introduced herself as Svetlana and told me she was there to assist me in any way possible till my flight boarded in 2 hours, and would lead me to the lounge. The other staff member insisted that I hand over my bag to carry, and although I didn't really him, he seemed like he really wanted to carry the bag, so I went along with it.

As it turns out, I had reached out to the very helpful Etihad PR team a few weeks prior to this flight to request a viewing of The Residence while on board, and their acceptance (after a lot of questions & discussions mind you!) had apparently got me upgraded in status - to have a personal assistant till my next flight! Svetlana was polite and friendly, and we chatted away as we walked towards the lounge, and she told me she would be personally taking me on board so we could do a Residence tour prior to the flight take off, should the go ahead be given by security teams. Fair enough I thought. As we got to the lounge - she took me straight to the First Class section, and gave me a quick recap of the facilities and asked if I would want to book a quick 15-min massage (included for those travelling in First!). I happily obliged and she sent someone to assist with the request right away before heading off to check with ground staff, though unfortunately due to the early boarding, the massage's were full so I told them I would take a rain-check for the next time.

I have to say, it did feel like a VIP treatment, and I was very happy on how to Abu Dhabi ground experience was going, and Svetlana was very helpful. As for the lounge, it's a nice enough lounge - but it's certainly not a First Class lounge (keeping in mind that this is a Business Class lounge with a roped off area for First Class members).

The lounge was rather empty when I arrived, but filled up a little shortly after. The waiter came around to take my order, and I ordered a lovely cappuccino, asked for the wi-fi password, and got myself some yogurt as well. The Etihad lounge doesn't really feature a restaurant or food to order, but works on more of a buffet pick and choose concept, and since nothing seemed particularly appetizing, I figured I would save my appetite for the food on the upcoming flight.

Svetlana shortly returned to let me know that unfortunately someone had booked The Residence last minute, so they would try to get me on early to have a tour, but it depended on when they were given the go ahead - which turned out to be only once boarding started, so The Residence tour wasn't exactly looking promising at this point. Nevertheless, she said since boarding had started, she would try and speak to the crew on board to see if we could organize one post landing in London. By this time we carried on towards the Boarding Gate with the same VIP party, complete with a different staff member to carry my bag, which once again I appreciated.

Just post the security check and prior to the plane, she introduced me to the butler, who was waiting for The Residence flyer, and confirmed if it would be possible to have a Residence tour post landing, and he told me that if I could wait in London, he would do his best to set up the Residence for me. It was at this point, that I realized the Butler was none other than Stephan (not the right name, I forgot his name again!) the amazing crew member who was attending to me in the Apartment when I flew with Etihad last year! Though unfortunately he didn't remember me - which is fair, considering the time gap.

Nevertheless, Svetlana led me onto the plane herself and directly to my seat, 4k - a forward facing window seat, which again was quite cool - and as always, you're in awe of just how large the Apartment really is. I thanked her for help on ground, as she made it an exceptional 2 hours in Abu Dhabi, and settled in my seat. Judy, the British flight attended came to introduce herself, and she was quite friendly and helpful as well - so I knew I was in for a great flight. I settled for a Champagne to start the trip, a usual tradition of mine, and got to taking photos of the cabin before it filled up.

As far as entrances go for First Class - no airline even comes close, it's such an amazing cabin area. Of course, that might also have something to do with the fact that no one has cabin's as big as Etihad on First. I moved on to take pictures of the Apartments themselves, and went through a few of them before people sat in them, though there were already one or two people who had boarded first.

I even took a small GIF of the Apartment to really visualize the size below.

We were delayed by about 25 minutes due to an ill passanger in Economy, who had to be removed along with their bag before we took out - and soon we were on our way to London. During this time, the other Apartment crew introduced themselves - Nitin the on board Chef, and John the other crew member working with Judy. Nitin was friendly, helpful and a stark contrast to the Chef I had on my last Apartment flight, while John was extremely professional, but that came across as stuck up and I almost didn't want to ask him for anything because of how he came off - so I hope I was wrong in assuming the 'stuck up' nature. Though admittedly he did warm up as the flight went on. Or maybe I got tipsier!

I gave the Lunch (or I guess Brunch since it would be 10am by the time I started eating) orders to Nitin, with some wine and champagne pairings, while I flipped through Etihad's wide range of movies on hand. It's not in the same league as Emirates, but it'll do for a 7 hour flight. Controlled by the controller on the side, with a lovely touch screen on it. As far as the tv goes, 24" is fairly massive for First Class, and it's quite pleasant to watch on as well.

Once we were up in the air, it was time for Etihad's Bollinger La Grande Annee (a nice enough Champagne), which John 'professionally' poured - one thing about John is he really knew his drinks and their descriptions, tastes, and combinations.

Soon after, it was time to start the long (because of how much I ordered!) Brunch to Lunch service. Considering I wouldn't get to Frankfurt to late, I knew this would be my only chance to eat, so when in Rome �� (I apologize in advance for my feet in the pics, but I was in full relax mode!)

I started out with Etihad's specialty - The Steak Sandwich. It was beautifully prepared by Nitin, the chef, and while I wasn't a fan of the egg, once removed, everything else was delicious. The fries, thickly cut, were quite yummy as well, though a little more crisp wouldn't go amiss, though overall - it's still one of Etihad's best dishes.

By this time John came around and asked if I would like any specialty cocktails made, off the menu, so I ordered a vodka sunsrise, though John said he would make it his way as a surprise. I had asked for a 1 hour respite from the food to let the 'starter' settle in.

For what it's worth - it wasn't bad. Not amazing, but the traditional style would have been preferred, but I'm game to try new things. Anyways, while I enjoyed my drinks, and finished watching the Family Guy Star Wars crossover movie, my amuse-bouche arrived. I have no idea what it was, but I was recommended a White Chardonnay to start with, so I did (mind you I was already 2 champagnes and a cocktail down at this point.. so lotta mixing going on).

I guess it was a fine start. Soon after, the scallops arrived and I was looking forward to these, since I almost never order seafood in the air.

They were quite delicious, if not a touch under seasoned, and the White pairing was perfect with these. Definitely a decent choice, with a side of peach mustard I believe. This was followed shortly by my main course, the beef fillet with potatoes and crispy fried duck.

While the sides were delicious, the beef was a little tough, though I would chalk that up to the case with most beef on planes, rather than Nitin messing up the food. Taste wise it was slightly above average, but not the best meal I've had on Etihad.

At this point I noticed we were somewhere over the Alps, and the snow covered peaks made for some excellent in flight pics. I have to point out that by this point, the head of the cabin crew (who was working Economy) came up and checked in with me twice, saying that they would do their best to ready The Residence for me once we landed, which was a nice touch. Stephan, the Butler even came up to me to check if I was enjoying the flight (I figure The Residence flyer was asleep at this point), and told me that he would do his best to tidy the Residence as well. It really was an amazing staff on board.

By this time, Nitin and I were having a discussion over the Salmon versus the Lamb Biryani for the main course, and while I had mentioned Salmon as my preference, I think there was so much discussions going on, he may have misunderstood (I swear I wasn't drunk!) because the Biryani came out instead. No worries, I'm by this point into another glass of Red Wine and many drinks in, so live and let live!

How did it taste? Quite delicious, and preferable to the Steak at this point! Though I really hate raisins/sultanas with rice, so I didn't really like those, but aside fro that - it was a fantastic dish overall, so I wasn't complaining.

At this point I had forgotten dessert was also on order, with Judy brought out shortly - and while I was literally stuffed with alcohol and food, I thought I would take one for the team to give it a taste test ��

Out came the Cheesecake... which was unfortunately delicious as well, because I couldn't finish more than half. Although surprisingly there was no presentation to this at all, apart from a cake on a plate.

Realizing that I was too full to really enjoy, I asked for the shower to be set up- easily the most amazing experience in the sky I've had, and it's just as giddying a feeling as the first time you try showering at 40,000 ft. It seems the women First crew handle setting up the shower, as Judy prepared the shower for me (much like Neha on the previous flight).

This definitely helped freshen me up, and wash away some of the alcohol. Though who knows why because as soon as the shower was done, I was back with another glass of Red. Sigh.

At this point, I asked Judy to make the bed in 5C just so I could get some pictures, which she was more than happy to oblige with. I wasn't feeling sleepy so I figure I would utilize the time to take some proper photos with my DSLR of the bed and Apartment.

By this time, we were on the decent to London, so I decided to pull up the tail camera for some great views and was also treated to a lovely view of London on landing!

Once we landed, I waited till the whole plane had de-boarded, while I waited for Stephan to organize The Residence for my tour! While I waited, it was rather interesting to see the First Class Crew Members tidying up and cleaning everything up before the cleaning crew came on board to perfect the Apartment's, and I chatted with Nitin & Judy while they went about packing everything up.

Unfortunately, post my Residence Tour (which will actually be in the next article), I found out that Etihad had left my bag behind in Abu Dhabi, as apparently the 2-hour stop over wasn't long enough to transfer my bag over? Alrighty then.. It took me waving my First Class ticket around for the Etihad ground team to hop around to try and see what had happened with my bag, which was a shame - and by this time I was getting late for my next flight at 4pm to Frankfurt (it was approaching 2:30pm now).

It was the a terrible way to end the flight, as I was definitely not prepared for the 3 degree weather waiting for me in Frankfurt, as I was carrying only one medium jumper with me. However, the Etihad ground team did try to work and submit the claim as fast as possible, so kudos there, but I was a little disappointed with the 52 GBP subsidy which came from misplacing the bag, but I suppose Middle Eastern Airlines don't have great policies like American & Australian airlines do (If I'm mistaken about this, please let me know!). My bag was delivered the following night, by the time I had reached Luxembourg, but it was a real blight on a fantastic as always experience. This.. and also Etihad First Class Passengers still have to pay for Wi-fi!

Last edited by jubbing; May 3, 2016 at 6:54 am
    Old May 1, 2016, 5:47 am
    Original Poster

Tour of Etihad's The Residence

Etihad's The Residence Tour - A380
    Class: Super First Class?

The Residence (Nicole Kidman Etihad ad anyone?) might just about be the grandest 'seat' on a passenger plane, and there's nothing quite like it - short of a Private Jet - hence the nickname 'Penthouse in the Sky'. When Etihad first announced it, people were both amazed and curious as to how it would be to fly with your own living room, bathroom, and bedroom on a plane, including yours truly (especially when it costs a minimum of $20,000 on long routes, and $5,500 on the upcoming Mumbai route). When I flew Etihad First Class last year, I had asked if I could see The Residence - unfortunately I was shut down because they want to keep the 'allure and prestige of it a mystery'. Alrighty then!

Well that has since changed with fellow travel blogger ThePointsGuys flying The Residence last year, and giving us a very thorough review of it, though there were others as well. However, my curiosity still remained, especially after they turned down my in flight request last year. I reached out to the Etihad PR team to help me out with this (perks of being a travel blogger I suppose!), and it really felt like I was being interviewed for a position at Etihad with the number of questions I was asked before they accepted the request - literally the day before my flight - the price of curiosity I suppose.

However as mentioned in my previous article, having a tour of the Residence got my bumped in status, and got me my own Etihad ground staff member to be my personal assist for the 2 hours I was in Abu Dhabi. To read more on that, click here. Originally I was meant to get The Residence tour while in the air from The Butler, which technically meant I'd be flying 'The Residence' for a portion of the flight (hello Residence bed!), but that all changed when someone actually booked The Residence last minute - so I had to wait till we landed in London so Stephan, the butler, could tidy up for me, and he did so with incredible haste. The only downside was that because British Security boarded the plane to check the plane post landing, I only had 10 minutes in it, but not without getting some great shots.

First, the Lounge, which is essentially two First Apartment seats side by side and also feature's a massive 32" tv screen!

Following the lounge, we moved to to private bathroom, which was rather small, but at least has it's own shower as well - I didn't ask how many showers you were restricted to though!

Then we moved to the bedroom, the coolest feature of them all! This was obviously a feature I was looking forward to most, as it was the most unique feature of any plane out there (again, non Jets). It was quite constricting, so those who are claustrophobic may struggle a little here, but it's definately not as small as I had assumed either! For those who like watching TV before bed, there's also a 24" TV in here as well, so fear not!

One thing that did surprise me was just how small the total area was, when compared to how they market it. Understandable though as there's only so much spare space on a plane, even as large as the A380, but they do a very good job of making it seem larger in the ads.

Of course, Stephan insisted I try the bed out, to see how soft it was. It certainly was comfortable, and the Egyptian Cotton sheets didn't hurt either. Stephan told me the Arabic gentleman who had just flow The Residence had exclaimed it was more comfortable than many private jet's he had flown on, so certainly a compliment on the bedding side.

And a picture, just for proof, complete with Face blur magic!

My thoughts on the Residence? Wow - I can't believe how massive this is, if you were to compare it to an Economy seat. Heck, compare it to any First Class seat in the world, this is massive (though it's smaller than how they market it).

Would this be worth $20,000+? For me, absolutely not, but there are certainly those who would find that fee tolerable for peace of mind on the plane, and more importantly - privacy, because the truth is, you never have to even leave your 'Penthouse' so to speak for the entire flight if you don't want to. The addition of a Butler is fantastic, and he would really add a lot of value (And i've seen firsthand just how good they are), but like I said - it's perspective.

One thing I can say though, is that Etihad has really Re-imagined Flying, and that can only be good for consumers! With the tour done, I thanked Stephan and the rest of the crew, and made my way to baggage collection (even though Etihad had left my bag behind in Abu Dhabi as I found out), and turned back for one last look at this Super Beauty of a plane, the A380, before heading off to start my European leg.

Old May 1, 2016, 4:48 pm

Did Stephan have glasses and a Nordic/Teutonic accent? I think I had him on a previous flight and he was fantastic.
    Old May 1, 2016, 9:58 pm
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
    Did Stephan have glasses and a Nordic/Teutonic accent? I think I had him on a previous flight and he was fantastic.
    No glasses, he was Italian, so Italian accent

I just found it amazing that he was the Butler this flight, but I had him working First Class previously, so I could see his training was far ahead of other crew members.
    Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:58 am
    Original Poster

The Frankfurt Hotel (Frankfurt)

I know it's been about 2 months since my last post - but a lot had changed! I got a new job (non travel related, for now), had to change website hosts, and was just generally busy with life - but now that things have settled in I'm back to writing yay!
    The Frankfurt Hotel
    Frankfurt, Germany

From London, I took an Economy British Airways flight to Frankfurt, which I had intended to review. Except when Etihad lost my bag, I had to fill out the claim forms and rush to Terminal 5 (from 4) and literally made it by the skin of my teeth. Thus, I passed out and napped the entire flight, so I really didn't take any pictures nor do I remember much of the flight (fair enough considering it was my first Economy flight in over 2 years!). You can always read how poor British Airways Inter-Europe Business Class was last year.

Anyways having landed in Frankfurt, I took my carry on, and made my way to the bus, which took me to the Train station (way to have a weird setup Frankfurt!). It was cold, a very cold 3 degrees, which was a shame since I only had the one jacket with me at the time. Having made my way from the station to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, the main station in the city, I walked over to the hotel, easily called The Frankfurt, which was literally a 5 minute walk. Perfect, since I was already feeling the cold, enhanced by the recent rain.

Unfortunately due to the short time I was there, I didn't really grab a lobby picture, so I pulled it from their website to give you an idea of the levels.

It was nice, but small as far as lobbies went. I had gone ahead and booked a Single Room for $92 USD, which I thought was fine for the area it was in. Upon arriving at the hotel, I checked in, and the staff were indifferent to me being there. That's either the German in them or how they operate, but I just wanted to get to my room. The Manager informed me that they'd upgrade me to their Double Room, I guess since the hotel was empty. Oh and they also asked for a good rating on Booking.com so that'll do it I suppose.

They gave me the card, the wi-fi code and I headed up to check out this 'Double Room'.

It was essentially two single beds, put together to form a double. It was also slightly larger than a single room at 25 square meters, a decent size when you consider the price I paid, then got upgraded.

It did feature a massive 55-inch TV, and usually hotels don't go over 46" so this was a nice mix. Can't say I was a fan of the overall 'green theme', but it went with their Green environment theme, where all the lights outside were automatic sensors rather than 'always on'.

The bathroom itself was fairly basic, but clean and more importantly warm, and the shower was amazing too.

At this point I was hungry so I decided to venture out, despite the cold weather, to get my German food on. I went to the reception to ask for some restaurant suggestions, and to my disappointment they suggested I go around to corner street so I could find some 'Pakistan and Indian food', which could have been racist if I didn't already know that Indians (many, not all) love to go and eat Indian food when out of India - hence a true Stereotype. The only problem was that I'm not Indian (not by Nationality), nor do I sound it, though I guess they were going visually! "Er, maybe some good German food instead?". That did the trick, as they lit up at the fact I wanted German food rather than Indian food - again, not Indian mate! Either way, they guided me to 'Basseler Eck', a proper German restaurant which I made it to after a 10-12 minute walk just as it started raining.

It was a cosy, no fancy, family run small restaurant that was apparently frequented by Airline staff often. I took a table to myself and ordered a Beer and Pork, a traditional German Meal, and while I wasn't in a talking mood after the day I'd had - I was happy to listen to my next table talk about their lives - and I eventually pegged them for Emirates Crew members (2 ladies, 1 gentleman) with how much they spoke of Dubai, amongst other things. Eventually the meal came, and while the picture isn't great, it was satisfying, along with the eavesdropping. For once, it was pleasant to just eat and listen, along with German music playing softly in the background, really bringing out the family run business feel.

With that done, I headed back to the hotel. It was raining now, so I had to run where I could to shelter, and eventually got back, took a shower, and hopped into bed, as I had to get to Luxembourg in the morning! The bedding itself wasn't too comfortable, I was so tired I really didn't care.

Morning involved a mad dash through breakfast (hence no pictures) which was included, as I was running a tad late for the bus, and I checked out as a formality. As it turns out, so late I couldn't locate the bus area first, then the bus - so I eventually found out I had actually missed the bus! 30 minutes of searching yielded nothing - so I had to eventually buy another ticket, which involved a transfer of 3 trains and a bus - but it got me there just 50 minutes later than the bus.

Oh well, a great way to start the adventure in Europe, good thing I didn't have any suitcases to drag around
    Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:28 am
    Original Poster

Park Inn by Radisson (Luxembourg 1)

Park inn by Radisson
    Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

As mentioned, I had accidentally missed or not found (or it was late who knows anymore) the direct bus to Luxembourg, so instead I went and splashed another 50 euros on a 3 trains plus a bus which actually got me there in less time than the direct bus (!). With Etihad having lost my suitcases, I had only my carry on luggage to carry on - which was the silver lining as it would have been tough to drag them around with all my buses.

I made a good friend on (one of) the train, a Mexican fellow who was studying in Germany - so that was another bonus, and despite the rather crappy weather, the scenery was still gorgeous! Having taken the final bus from Trier to Luxembourg, I finally had arrived, and it was a short 10 minute walk to the Park Inn. Originally I had wanted to book the Sofitel for my entire trip here, but their location wasn't amazing - so I chose something in the city center to get myself acquainted with the city itself.

Upon check in - I had a few forms to fill out, but the ladies at the reception were incredibly fun and friendly, so I knew I was at the right place. But I was running low on daylight so I rushed to my room to drop my things, and head out.

This will be a short review but I did manage to take a few pics before I left.

The room itself is nothing special - it's comfortable but a tiny bit tight at 18 meters squared, but perfect for one person. Wi-fi is free and fast, so I had no complaints there either. Though the view is just of other buildings.

But - you are in the hub of Luxembourg and it's small enough that you could walk to the city center within 15 minutes on a medium paced walk. As for Luxembourg itself, I took a few pictures I thought I would share since there's not too much time spent at this hotel. Granted it wasn't the prettiest of days, overcast and slightly rainy as well - the city was almost empty on a Friday as well.

My (short) thoughts on Luxembourg initially while travelling alone? Very lonely and boring - it's not a great solo trip location - but people have told me it is a great place to visit in the summer, so perhaps one day I'll give it a shot! Other than this, I had a fairly comfortable sleep, but the greatest story was that before I retired, my suitcase had arrived via Luxair express - hooray to fresh clothes! Still - I was looking forward to checking out the Sofitel, where I'd be staying the next 3 days.

For $131 a night, it's not a bad choice if you're looking for a 3 star hotel in Luxembourg - though if you book well in advance, that could be even cheaper. Luxembourg is great for cheaper hotels and day trips in every direction - something to keep in mind.
    Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:49 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
    Hocould I miss report about the residence Am I right that itīs not open and completely closed? Is it possible to lock it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.