Search

Safari in south Africa - BA: ABZ-LHR-JNB-CPT-PLZ-CPT-JNB-LHR-ABZ - BA Y,F,C

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Safari in south Africa - BA: ABZ-LHR-JNB-CPT-PLZ-CPT-JNB-LHR-ABZ - BA Y,F,C

Hello again....

I had another Amex 2-4-1 voucher burning a hole in my pocket. That's what buying your first place does to you - you sh!t money like it's going out of fashion. But luckily for me, I put most of it on the trusted Amex and got a 2-4-1 voucher. So me and a 'friend' decided that we would head to South Africa for safari. I originally booked us LHR-CPT in J but a few weeks after I booked, two tickets in F to JNB opened up. I didn't hesitate in booking them and then adding on a JNB-CPT return ticket. All was going swimmingly. Until the 'friend' decided that he didn't like that I was speaking to another 'friend'. And friend 1 got very jealous (in December) and said that he wouldn't speak to me until the trip. "Fine" I said....."but don't expect me to be spending all of my time with you on holidays if you won't be speaking to me".

Well that seemed to bother him. He's 26 but can't spend time by himself. He thinks it's weird that I go on weekends away myself and eat by myself in restaurants. He hated the idea of having to spend time himself. So we left it for a while. He became more of an issue and then decided that he wasn't coming. Fine. No skin off my nose. I did try to see if I could change the name on the Amex 2-4-1 voucher but BA said no. They did, however, give me the voucher back along with the Avios I had used to upgrade him - thanks BA!

So fast forward a few months and I am in need of a holiday. Oil and gas has gone t!ts up recently but the company I work with has a small legal team so we are all kept very busy. That and the fact that I have just finished painting my flat myself meant that I needed a break.

Monday - day off work. I spent it with my best friend and her toddler making pizzas. It was great.

Tuesday - wake up excited! Finished throwing a few things into the case (which included a mini case within the big case in case I buy some stuff while in South Africa) and headed into town.

Bye flat!

I had a hoodie (which I thought would come in useful for safari) but wanted to buy another one so stopped off at the sopping centre which is right by the airport bus stop. Hoodie collected, I hopped on the bus and paid my £2.90 to the airport seeing the sights on the way.

Welcome to Aberdeen "International" Airport....

Check in - meh. "Sorry, you're 5 minutes early so I can't take your bag yet"......Wow, seriously?! Yes. They were supposedly waiting to finish the flight leaving before mine but nobody else turned up to check bags in. Anyway, it was doors shut for me for 5 mins....

But before long, I was checked in. Fast track security was fast as always.....I would have hated to have had to wait in the normal queue - a Thomson flight to Tenerife was on their way through security......eeeeeeek! And I was into the BA lounge. It's a lovely lounge in Aberdeen. The staff are always pleasant and friendly. It's a great way to spend some time before the flight.

Yes, there's no hot food (bar the soup) but I don't mind that too much. I grabbed some soup and sandwiches and settled down in my usual spot at the back to people watch and listen to some music.

And after just over an hour of chilling, it was time to board. Priority boarding was forcefully enforced by the gate ladies. I was on within a shot and took my seat in 1F. A nice CSM (I think that's his title) today - "CP" who offered to take my jacket before I had even sat down.

BA1309, ABZ-LHR, G-EUPP

Gooooooooooodbye rainy Aberdeen!

We had a wee while to wait until ATC let us push back and then quite a wait holding before we got on to the runway.

ABZ is in the middle of an industrial estate as you can see just after we take off.

After a bumpy 5 mins to so passing through the cloud, we were greeted with some nice views.

And then the cabin service started. Usual offering on this times domestic flight - drinks and nibbles.

And after not a long time at all, we were approaching Heathrow over the city. Not quite the usual approach though, as I didn't get any shots of Parliament. We were just slightly to the right of it I think.

Hello Queen!!

And after an hour and 5 mins, we were in London. A nice flight with BA with some friendly crew (who offered a top up without having to be asked).

I'm currently sitting in the CCR with an hour or so before boarding my flight to JNB and will update soon.....

Follow me on Instagram for some more pics - @stu19855

Last edited by stu1985; Jul 29, 2016 at 6:49 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:16 pm

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy! Look forward to following on here and also Instagram
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks ellielovesem. Another part coming soon!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I settled down on the terrace at the CCR and ordered an Espresso Martini from the cocktail list. There was a very friendly waiter who was running around taking orders and making sure everything was ok for everyone. The terrace really is quite peaceful - you can just hear the hubbub coming from down below at the departures area.

A few days before I left, my boiler went A over T so I had been having washes each day in the sink which wasn't ideal. I was therefore craving a proper hot shower. I headed over to the spa and was given a cubicle straight away. That shower felt GREAT!

After freshening up and after a modest light lunch in the lounge in ABZ, I was feeling quite peckish so I headed to the restaurant in the CCR where I was promptly sat down in a booth and presented with the menu.

The same waiter who had been running around was now in the restaurant taking orders. He promptly filled me up with some of the fizzy stuff and took my order. I wasn't expecting too much from the CCR - I had heard mixed reports. So I was very, very pleasantly surprised when I had the food. It was brilliant.

The steak was wonderful - cooked just right - nice and pink in the middle. If only BA could do that in the air then I would be a happy chap haha!

I had told myself that I wasn't having dessert but the waiter guy was very persuasive. I'm glad he was actually because the Banoffee mousse was out of this world! At a big push, I would say that it was definitely the best part of the whole meal.

*drools*

After a double espresso, I was suitably stuffed so recanted to one of the sofas where I chilled for a while. I grabbed a B747 cocktail (I think that's what it was called) and listened to some music before I headed across to the spa again for the back massage which I had pre-booked with YouFirst a month in advance.

I filled out the usual questionnaire thingy before the lovely Becky came to take me through for the massage. The massage itself was great. My back had been giving me problems for a wee while and she managed to click it a good few times. I felt like a new man after she had finished with me and I was very relaxed.

Headed back across to my spot on the terrace and was topped up with some fizz! Life is good...

The sun was starting to set and it made for some pretty views out of the windows.

I needed some power so went in to the sofas and......I met the lovely Ann. She's well known amongst the more frequent fliers on the BA forum. She's a great older lady with a wicked sense of humour. She saw me sitting and came over and asked "Now, you don't have a drink there. What would you like?". I decided I would try the rose champagne and she said she would go open a bottle. I said not to bother and that I would have the white to which came the reply: "Oh darling, there will be many more having it than just you!". She was great. So after a wee glass of the pink stuff, it was time to head over to the C gates. I was going to walk in order to work off some of that lunch but when it came to it, I was too lazy and took the train across. When I arrived at the gate, there was a mass of people sitting around but no boarding yet. A few lice had taken up their places in the priority queue just in case the plane left without them......

More pics on Instagram - @stu19855

Last edited by stu1985; Apr 6, 2016 at 11:07 am
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Enjoying this stu1985 with nice photos, narrative and an interesting background to the holiday!

I never tire if reading BA TR's and a great feeling leaving home and saying bye bye. I really do get that and a F trip too! ^

Look forward to reading this as it goes along! ^
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Nice. I am fond of an espresso martini myself.

Looking forward to seeing more.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Loving the TR so far stu1985, can't wait for the rest
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:08 pm

I'll be going on safari in 6 months time, so I'm looking forward to more of this report!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
I am looking forward to the rest. Pity about the rocky start, hope it will all pan out.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Enjoying this stu1985 with nice photos, narrative and an interesting background to the holiday!

I never tire if reading BA TR's and a great feeling leaving home and saying bye bye. I really do get that and a F trip too! ^

Look forward to reading this as it goes along! ^
Thanks PETER01. Just heading to JNB soon for my flight down to CPT. Looking forward to Club on Comair

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Nice. I am fond of an espresso martini myself.

Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks for reading Speedbird876......the espresso martini was great!

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
Loving the TR so far stu1985, can't wait for the rest
Thanks Grand Annee! Will try update later today.

Originally Posted by Chancensam
I'll be going on safari in 6 months time, so I'm looking forward to more of this report!
Enjoy safari when you go Chancensam - I'm looking forward to it!

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
I am looking forward to the rest. Pity about the rocky start, hope it will all pan out.
Thanks for reading roadwarrier. All the best trips start off on the rocks
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Starbucks Gold, CO Op gold
Nice report Stu, I especially love the backstory with the friend situation. People in Aberdeen can be rather immature.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:41 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Do like your trip reports Stu. This one is looking good so far. Following you on instagram now - stalker alert!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I'm hooked keep up the good work and thanks
John
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Omar84
Nice report Stu, I especially love the backstory with the friend situation. People in Aberdeen can be rather immature.
Oh - he wasn't from Aberdeen......he was Welsh! Anyway, I'm well rid of him thankfully!

Originally Posted by rxfleming
Do like your trip reports Stu. This one is looking good so far. Following you on instagram now - stalker alert!
Thanks rxfleming.......stalker alert noted

Originally Posted by thejohn
I'm hooked keep up the good work and thanks
John
Thanks for reading thejohn!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Poster

BA57, LHR-JNB, G-BNLN

Boarding for Golds and First and Club was called and I was through pretty quickly and met at the door by the CSM who took me to my seat right in the nose of the 747. It was lovely being back in First. There were 7 of us tonight out of 14 seats so it was nice and quiet.

Before long, one of the amazing ladies looking after First this evening was over asking whether I would like a drink. Oh, but of course!

Menus were also passed out on the ground while boarding was being completed.

And this is when I met the wonderful Ellen. She was also looking after First class this evening. She was one of the best crew I have had the pleasure of meeting. We chatted a lot throughout the flight. She was friendly, kind, warm, engaging and the height of professional at all times. I left the flight in the morning very happy - she just made the flight that little bit more special.

Anyway, we are still on the ground. The Captain came on and you could tell he liked his job: "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome on board this British Airways flight from Heathrow to Johannesburg. You are flying on the Queen of the skies tonight, the Boeing 747"........brilliant!......."But now the bad news. We've been told that we have to wait around 90 minutes to take off because of the French ATC strike. But what we're going to do is push back and taxi to a remote part of the airport and be ready in case the take off time gets taken forward".

Cue a few groans but then I remembered that I was sat at the front of the plane. E was soon by my side suggesting a top up of Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle. Who was I to say no?!

I decided to get comfy on the ground so changed into my PJs. I arrived back at my seat to another top up of my fizz.......thanks!

Handy wee cupboard to hang your stuff up....

The delay in the end was just over an hour. Not that I was bothered. Anyway, we took off and before long, my two new best friends were up and around asking what I wanted to drink.

G&T please!

E took orders and pro-actively asked if I wanted to eat straight away or if I would like to delay a few hours. I said I would eat as soon as they were ready and she was more than happy to accommodate that request.

Table set....

Something to amuse me. It was nice enough. The wafer was a bit limp.

Starter of scallops and soup were delivered at the same time which I thought was strange. I wasn't too bothered though because the soup was piping hot so wasn't cold by the time I got to it. Both of these were amazing and especially the mushroom soup. BA do soups very, very well!

Chicken for main course - very good.

And dessert......it was BRILLIANT!

I really wanted to try the cheeses but I was stuffed. Ellen made my bed up and I slept like a baby for around 7 hours. She came by when she was I had wakened up.

E: "OMG did you sleep last night with all that turbulence?"
Me: "Erm, what turbulence?"
E: " *shocked face* You should try sleeping where we have to! I was bumping around all night. We get 3 hours break but I hardly slept at all because it was so bumpy!"

I was glad I had a nice bed in First - haha!

N dropped by and asked if I wanted breakfast. I asked how long we had left to go and she said that it was an hour and three quarters. I said that I would hold off on breakfast for a while but that I would have a double espresso. It was promptly delivered.

After half an hour of waking up (along with another double E) I ordered breakfast.

Cornflakes, smoothie and Bucks Fizz for breakfast......well, if I'm flying First then I might as well?!

N thought that I was a "full English type of guy" but I fancied the kedgeree thing. It was tasty although the eggs were cooked to buggery and back.

Afters......N just kept topping up both my drinks!

First class glass darlings.....

Hot rag before landing...

I had really enjoyed my flight. It was BA at its best. Ellen was a super star and she's already been given a Golden Ticket (just what good that does I don't know but it shows her boss that I appreciate her).

And before long we were making our approach into JNB which was VERY bumpy!

Bye plane!

MASSIVE queue at passport check. I somehow managed to get sandwiched in between a group of school kids on a sports trip. Some guy took pity on me: "Chief....you with the school?"......"No...."......."OK Chief, you come with me".....BONUS!!!!

So after being fast tracked through, my suitcase was waiting for me and I found the guy with my name on his board and jumped in the car to the Crowne Plaza.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.