Wiki Posts
Search

Safari in south Africa - BA: ABZ-LHR-JNB-CPT-PLZ-CPT-JNB-LHR-ABZ - BA Y,F,C

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by T8191
My TR will have to wait until January, and will be extremely boring in comparison!
I am sure that is not true!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:48 pm

Thanks stu19855. Fantastic trip report. Just getting ready to book a 3 week trip to SA for Sept. 2017 for the wife and me.

How far out were you able to get your LHR/JNB amd return tickets?

Thanks again for the great report.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind comment jmj9905. I hope you enjoy your trip to South Africa when it comes around. I booked the CW seats about 11 months in advance and managed to upgrade maybe a month or so before flying.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Roasted White chocolate sounds really amazing!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:02 am

Thanks stu19855. I appreciate the promp response.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:01 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
I've just read this TR all the way through and I'm so impressed with the detail, the quality of the photos and well, just everything.

It brought back many happy memories of our trip to Cape Town 12 years ago which was the last family holiday all 5 of us went on. We stayed in a rented villa in Hout Bay and hired a car. We went in August so the weather was a bit chilly & damp a lot of the time but we managed to do a lot of the same things as you. I notice you didn't have Robben Island in your itinerary, for me it was the best thing we did, it was so moving to be taken round by an ex prisoner and to see and hear the history of it all.

We didn't do a safari but your detail & photos make me want to do one. We said after our SA holiday that we would love to return but in their summer. We might just make that trip in the next year or so but add in a safari, especially as there's now just the two of us to consider.

Thanks you for such an amazing report, loved it!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LadyB
I've just read this TR all the way through and I'm so impressed with the detail, the quality of the photos and well, just everything.

It brought back many happy memories of our trip to Cape Town 12 years ago which was the last family holiday all 5 of us went on. We stayed in a rented villa in Hout Bay and hired a car. We went in August so the weather was a bit chilly & damp a lot of the time but we managed to do a lot of the same things as you. I notice you didn't have Robben Island in your itinerary, for me it was the best thing we did, it was so moving to be taken round by an ex prisoner and to see and hear the history of it all.

We didn't do a safari but your detail & photos make me want to do one. We said after our SA holiday that we would love to return but in their summer. We might just make that trip in the next year or so but add in a safari, especially as there's now just the two of us to consider.

Thanks you for such an amazing report, loved it!
Thanks very much LadyB for your generous comments. Im glad you enjoyed reading it!

I did have a Robben Island ticket booked for my return to Cape Town. However, bad planning on my part meant that I had to forego that trip to meet up with an ex-boss who took me out for lunch. I had told him I was available on the day I actually landed back in the UK - oops. However, that just means that I have an excuse to return. I was looking forward to the views of the city from Robben Island.

And it looks like you have an excuse to return too......safari! I hope you do - it was a brilliant experience and something I wouldn't hesitate to do again.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
stu1985 I've just booked SA for next April and have referred back to this again ! What a cracking review and if you don't mind I shall be PM'ing you some questions
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Hi mikeyfly - PM away. I will do my best to try help you!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:44 pm

Stu1985, thank you so much for this TR. My dh and I are taking a very similar trip this July. Only difference is our safari will be in Kruger.

I'm especially glad you posted your experience with a non-private tour to wine country. We were thinking it might be better to do as a group with others as it would be more fun! I pray we have as good companions as you did.

I have one question, if you can possibly remember. What tour did you book to do the cape and boulder beach? We want to do something similar but wish to book a whale watching boat trip out of Simon's town. I've read the tour descriptions on T/A and can't quite find what I want. Do you have any other recommendations for an all day driver/tour guide?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vbnet
Stu1985, thank you so much for this TR. My dh and I are taking a very similar trip this July. Only difference is our safari will be in Kruger.

I'm especially glad you posted your experience with a non-private tour to wine country. We were thinking it might be better to do as a group with others as it would be more fun! I pray we have as good companions as you did.

I have one question, if you can possibly remember. What tour did you book to do the cape and boulder beach? We want to do something similar but wish to book a whale watching boat trip out of Simon's town. I've read the tour descriptions on T/A and can't quite find what I want. Do you have any other recommendations for an all day driver/tour guide?

Thanks!
Hi vbnet! Welcome to Flyertalk and thanks for making your first post a post in my TR! Glad you enjoyed reading

I just logged into my Viator account and the tour I took was "Leisurely Cape Point Tour from Cape Town" - see if you can find that one.

I hope you have a great trip when the time comes - not long to wait now! I am sure you will have an amazing time at Kruger! ^
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
A little bit late to this, but what a lovely trip report! I really like how you express your views and your thoughts on where you have been.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevieed
A little bit late to this, but what a lovely trip report! I really like how you express your views and your thoughts on where you have been.
Thanks stevieed - better late to the party than not coming at all! Glad you enjoyed the TR - thanks for reading!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.