Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chasing Cherry Blossoms - Tokyo March 2016 - UA 777 Y & 787 J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:38 pm
brg

Originally Posted by reverted
Despite popular belief, and thank whatever higher power you may believe in, Japan/Tokyo is pretty affordable.
It is all relative. Before the Hilton Honors devaluation, it certainly was affordable even in a good hotel with lounge access (certainly cut down on the cost of food).
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Part 6 - Tsukiji, Ginza and Asakusa

Full post can be found HERE

Our next day in Tokyo included Tsukiji Fish Market followed by a short hop over to Ginza for sushi then off to Asakusa for Kaminarimon and Sensoji Temple.

TSUKIJI FISH MARKET

After hopping off the Metro, it wasn't too hard to wander off and know that you are in the market. We were greeted with a huge crowd of people wandering through the outer market!

Single file line please!

Tsukiji Fish Market is separated into an inner and outer market. The inner market is the site of the famous tuna auctions but that requires you to arrive hours before the crack of dawn to wait. There is a cap of people they allow into the auctions.

One of my favorite parts of the outer market is the snack stands! In particular, I love getting a block of tamago (egg omelette) and nibbling at it while exploring. We were able to find a stand and watch someone making these omelettes!

Truly amazing to see it go from this...

Into this! And only for 100 Yen!

Here's a couple of the pics I grabbed two years ago from parts of the market:

GINZA & SUSHI FOR LUNCH

Being situated pretty closely together, we decided to walk over from Tsukiji to Ginza/our lunch spot. It took about 10-15 minutes. With some recommendation from friends, we chose to have lunch at Umegaoka Sushi no Midori. I know it's blasphemous to go to Tsukiji and NOT get sushi there, but the lines (like the crowds) were ridiculous for places like Sushi Daiwa.

We arrived around 30 minutes after the restaurant opened and there was quite a crowd already staked out already. After what seemed like an eternity, we were beckoned inside. And the magic started..

Sitting at the sushi counter for front line sushi action

We ended up ordering sushi sets/platters which cost 2800Y each (~$25USD at the time) and it was quite a steal and great bang for our buck! Just enjoy the pics. Not for the empty of stomach

Starter salad with delicious chawan mushi - steamed egg custard

Sushi platter with the BEST unagi (eel) I've ever had

For dessert, a seasonal house-made ice cream

ASAKUSA

After stuffing my face with more sushi than I care to count, it was time to walk off some of that delicious meal. Next stop was heading to Asakusa for the famous Sensoji Temple. The temple are was quite crowded. It is one of Tokyo's most popular temples afterall.

Enjoy the pics!

Crowds of people in front of the main worship hall

Bathing myself in the incense smoke, hoping for some good fortune/luck

Chouchin - Japanese good luck lanterns

No trip to Japan is complete without lots of soft cream! Here's vanilla & matcha flavor

Some of trinkets you can find at Nakamise - the line of shops that lead up to Sensoji Temple

After finishing our rounds at Sensoji, we hopped over to the Asakusa Tourist Information Center, which has an open-air observation deck and cafe on the top floor. And it’s free! You are able to get some amazing views of Sensoji as well as the rest of Tokyo!

Somewhat aerial view of Kaminarimon > Nakamise > Sensoji Temple

Panoramic views of Asakusa, Tokyo and beyond!

That wraps up another day in Tokyo. Our next day would remind me of the real reason I came to Tokyo this trip, cherry blossoms! We finish our time in Tokyo with an extended visit to Shinjuku Gyoen for sakura and so much more!

Full post can be found HERE
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by reverted
One of my favorite parts of the outer market is the snack stands! In particular, I love getting a block of tamago (egg omelette) and nibbling at it while exploring.
Just curious, do the locals do this at the market too? One of the paradoxes for me about Japan is that there is so much awesome quick/street food but you aren't supposed to eat it on the street, at least in my understanding (with ice cream being the exception)...I just have memories of walking around with handfuls of food looking for someplace to hide and eat...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Japan is just so beautiful and the culture is so interesting that it is one of my most visited countries
Old May 3, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Just curious, do the locals do this at the market too? One of the paradoxes for me about Japan is that there is so much awesome quick/street food but you aren't supposed to eat it on the street, at least in my understanding (with ice cream being the exception)...I just have memories of walking around with handfuls of food looking for someplace to hide and eat...
Apologies for the late reply. Was out on another trip. It's probably the American in me that I didn't even think twice about walking and eating. For locals, I think they may consider it rude/improper to do so. It may either be out of respect for others (lest they spill) or to help keep streets as clean as they already are.

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Japan is just so beautiful and the culture is so interesting that it is one of my most visited countries
Thank you! It is truly a beautiful country with a great mix of culture.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great TR, thanks for sharing. I really like the
biggest selection of Kit Kats
that is a lot of Kit Kats!!!
Old May 3, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Part 7 - Harajuku and Shinjuku Gyoen Sakura

FULL POST + few more pics: here

For our last day in Tokyo, it was time to go back on the hunt for those sweet sweet sakura (cherry blossoms) that were popping up all over Tokyo. Since it was our last day, I knew we had to make this one count, so we decided to head over to the Shinjuku ward to view the Shinjuku Gyoen sakura! Since it was Sunday, I also recommended that we explore Harajuku and immerse ourselves in Tokyo youth culture.

Entrance to Takeshita Street

Stepping out of the train station, you’re thrown right into the entrance of Takeshita Street which is a focal point of Harajuku and is lined with tons of trendy shops as well as fun restaurants, cafes and food stands.

One of the more interesting characters in Harajuku (2 years ago)

The sheer number of people going up, down and through Takeshita Street were claustrophobia-inducing but it was quite an experience shopping around.

First in line for Gyoza Rou!

After browsing and people watching, it was time for lunch and we headed off to Gyoza Rou for the quick and cheap meal. It's a no frills and good value meal and very tasty!

Our cheap and delicious meal

The dumplings come two ways - boiled and fried. A serving of 6 for only 290 Yen! You can also get sides of cucumbers, bean sprouts and rice.

Next up was Meiji Shrine, a popular Shinto shrine that is dedicated to the late Emperor Meiji. Its south entrance is very close to the Harajuku JR station. From the south entrance, it’s about a 15 minute walk until you get to the actual shrine.

South entrance gate

Wall of sake containers

The grounds of the shrine are kept in excellent condition and the shrine is a very serene place surrounded by trees.

While we were exploring Meiji, there were not one but two wedding ceremonies and processions taking place! Each procession was led by Shinto priests and maidens followed by the bride and groom and then by the family.

After being templed out for the afternoon, it was time to move on and out from Harajuku and over to Shinjuku for a peak at the Shinjuku Gyoen sakura!

Shinjuku Gyoen is a quick walk from the very busy Shinjuku Station. It’s a huge park. Enormous. Supposedly, it houses over 1000 cherry trees of over a dozen variety! It’s quite a sight to see.

It's very well kept, probably due to the fact that there is an entrance fee.

Here's the pictures!

Pictures cannot really capture how beautiful it is to see and experience sakura blooming in person. People also picnic all throughout the park and under the sakura. I’m talking full on picnicking. Several groups had brought pots and pans worth of food to share with their party.

For dinner, we headed over to Shinjuku Island Tower for Ippudo Ramen for itis famous tonkotsu broth. There are lots of locations throughout Tokyo with one even in NYC.

A LOVE sculpture in Shinjuku by Robert Indiana

Ramen dinner with a side of more gyoza and a frosty beer

To be completely honest, I think Ippudo is only okay. It's a solid ramen option but it isn't the best ramen I've ever had. I still prefer Rokurinsha at Tokyo Station. I originally wanted to try Fuunji Ramen but they were closed on the day we had open. Next time!

That's my last day in Tokyo! Before heading home, we are doing a one day trip up to Nikko so stay tuned for the experience at the ryokan and the trek up to the Tochigi prefecture.

FULL POST + few more pics: here
Old May 10, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Thanks again, I've caught up on your TR - looking forward to the next part!
Old May 13, 2016, 1:25 am

I absolutely love cherry blossoms! Great report!!!
Old May 26, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Part 8 - Nikko, Nikko, Nikko

For a complete post, go here.

Our last day in Tokyo was filled with lots of cherry blossom goodness, but it was time to trade in those Tokyo skyscrapers and travel up north into the Tochigi Prefecture for a one night stay in Nikko.

GETTING TO NIKKO

Nikko is about 2-3 hours away from Tokyo. For this trip, we picked to use Tobu Railways to journey up north. The railway offers various passes that include roundtrip travel to and from Asakusa.

Our ride out of Tokyo

We chose to use the railway’s 2 Day Nikko pass and paid extra each way to ride the Limited Express Spacia trains! Riding on the limited express trains, it only takes 110 minutes from Tokyo to Nikko!

The trains, like everything else in Tokyo, were clean and on-time! It was a very comfortable train ride and before I even knew it, we were hopping off in Nikko.

We arrived at Asakusa Station pretty early so we walked over to the department store connected with the station to find lunch. For lunch I grabbed a sushi bento and croquettes from two different food stands. It was an even better meal because I got to eat it on a train!

NIKKO WORLD HERITAGE SITES

The temples located in Nikko are actually all UNESCO World Heritage Sites meaning they are considered to be of great cultural significance. The temples actually close at 3pm so we had to quickly make our way and explore!

After some exploring of the town, we stopped for a quick snack. Grilled mochi with miso glaze! Yummmm

But onto the temples! Lucky for us, the walk/trail that leads to all of the major shrines and temples are a quick walk and easily accessible from anywhere in the town.

The walk/path to the temples were very scenic and beautifully framed within the natural setting of Nikko. The temples were closing down so we were not able to go inside any of them, just observe from afar. (The entrance fees are pretty damn high, so it wasn't a total bummer we couldn't go inside.)

Enjoy some of the pics of the temple trail that included Rinnoji and Futarasan (More pics here)

At Futarasan, I was able to get my annual omikuji, a Japanese fortune that you usually get from a Shinto or Buddhist shrine. The fortunes have your outlook on various aspects of your life such as travel, love, school and work.

If you didn't like what you read on your fortune, you tie it up on a tree (or in the structure pictured above) to prevent it from coming true!

RYOKAN-ING IT UP

For our one night stay, we decided on staying in a ryokan (Japanese B&B or inn) that came with meals and had an onsen (hot spring)! It would be the perfect way to wind down and relax to end our Japan trip.

We ended up picking Kozuchi no Yado Tsurukame Daikichi. The room included roundtrip shuttling to and from the train station as well and dinner and breakfast.

The room was quite large with a wide living area. It was a welcomed change to the smaller space we had been staying in in Tokyo. Our room looked right into the Daiya River.

After settling in, it was time for quick soak at the onsen! As usual, there were separate ones for men and women.

My favorite part of this ryokan's facilities was the outdoor open-air hot spring! It was so relaxing sitting in the hot hot water and stepping out into the cold crisp air!

Next up was a wonderful ryokan kaiseki dinner! Ryokan dinners are famous for being very elaborate, beautifully presented multi-course meals that love to showcase local products and offerings.

To my surprise, when we arrived for our dinner, we were led to a private room for our meal! There was so much going on that it was pretty overwhelming but exciting at the same time.

Our waiter for the evening was great at explaining each course which included sake starter, sashimi, grilled Tochigi beef, sukiyaki, and so much more. It was a great experience sampling a little bit of everything that Nikko was able to offer for us!

Breakfast was also provided the next morning but it wasn't as extravagant as dinner.

That pretty much sums up Nikko. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has because this was a very brief sampling of what Nikko has to offer. I had a great time getting out of the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. It was a drastic change of scenery and I would highly recommend it.

For extra pics and complete post, here.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Great report, reverted - sounds like Nikko is a great day trip from Tokyo provided one gets there early enough!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.