Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?

A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?

Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

Supping some bubbles in the lounge awaiting my next flight I have some time to make a start on another trip report about some flights that may be of interest to a few.

It has been a while since my last FlyerTalk trip report. For those unfamiliar or have forgotten, I (still) don't do photos or video. Sorry if this disappoints some but I like the freedom of lugging around no gear. Besides I find that being forced to write down in words the experiences I have had leads to better enjoyment for me at least in remembering and savouring it all. Yes, I am selfish and write this as much for me as for the reader.

So cheers and I will rewind to the start of this trip, about a week and more than a few flights ago.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Index to my trip reports

If you like this report, you may be interested in some of my other trip reports.
  1. AKL-YYZ with NZ/AC in F & C - my first trip report
  2. Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI) - somewhere different
  3. Some FTers DO the Inaugural Worlds Longest Flight SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 - 2 long flights back to back
  4. 7 Crazy Days - includes an almost inaugural flight
  5. Champagne and figure eights on ice - Antarctica flightseeing
  6. a Lit.tle sPRinG.Ly JoUrney (BUDding KiwiS Can zig-ZAG around Europe) - mostly central and eastern Europe
  7. Big DO DOs - or a Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness - lots of flights
  8. Another Manic Month for Kiwi - again lots of flights
  9. Mini Tour of NZ - over 100 domestic flights in New Zealand covering all domestic routes (ongoing)
  10. Across the Globe in 5 Continents - criss-crossing the globe
  11. Auckland to National Park by Train - train in New Zealand's North Island
  12. Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again - criss-crossing the globe, but this time mainly on One World
  13. A Warm Embrace of the Tropics - short trips to the tropical South Pacific
  14. Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights - name says it all really
  15. Across the Globe in 4 Continents - around the world on star alliance, including some unusual flights
  16. Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler - a sampling of Qantas flights, domestic and international, in economy and business (ongoing)
  17. Around the World in Under 60 Hours - around the world in a weekend
  18. The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours - what a contrast, Asia and Qantas' new first class lounges
  19. Fast on the ground and in the air - it must be Shanghai – a flying visit to Shanghai + Maglev
  20. It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y – mostly One World
  21. Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes - 16 crossings of the Pacific plus some other related flights
  22. It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island - a visit to Chatham Islands coincides with New Zealand's first hijacking attempt
  23. There and back - first day Air NZ flies to Coolangatta (Gold Coast)
  24. A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C? - Axis of Evil 0 US Immigration 1
  25. Wellington to Auckland by train - self-explanatory title
  26. A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights - a double longhaul inaugural, domestic international shuttle and domestic leg of an international flight
  27. Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline - featuring new QF First on A380 special flight, "you have to get off now", and 105th different current route with NZ
  28. One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere - mostly Southern Hemisphere and mostly on One World on a mix of products
  29. Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y – starting with EK First on A380 and ending with Qantas economy, with a lot of travel mostly on *A in between
  30. An FTer flies to a Do (or Why take the nonstop when you can fly 10 flights instead?) - combining an FT Do with an aerial tour of northern Queensland
  31. The Ultimate Qantas Flight - short report on the ultimate flight
  32. Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia) - experiencing the forward cabins on Trans-Tasman flights (ongoing)
  33. 5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy - my journey to & from the *A / Airbus Mega Do
  34. NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special) - an odd collection of flight routes & schedules around the world
  35. From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight - some firsts of all types
  36. G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class - a day & night tripping around the South Pacific on Air NZ
  37. A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates - long distance in style
  38. A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business - a quick longhaul trip featuring some old and new products
  39. Star Alliance tres primo, and tres biz - a trio of first and business on Star Alliance
  40. A few flights to end 2011 - a quick trip around the world + more
  41. Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012 - a selection of my 2012 travels
  42. Sky Team madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business – mostly Sky Team
  43. Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787
  44. A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Most years I like to travel around Easter, often on a around the world ticket or an award. I find it a great time of year as the climate at most destinations is generally not too extreme - neither the height of summer nor the depth of winter. It isn't the busiest travel period so there is generally reasonable availability as long as booked a decent time in advance.

With more and more airlines serving New Zealand, and having branched out from my original Star Alliance and Oneworld frequent flyer programs to also have Skyteam, there is a multitude of options. Especially since I want to go everywhere (perhaps not some places until things have become safer). Preferably in the comfort of business or first class since I am not built for economy.

I was reminded by Blackcloud about a month ago that I still hadn't booked any travel for Easter. While I was playing around with some fares I stumbled across a fairly decent fare to New Zealand, and then saw there was also a sale from New Zealand to that destination. Great I can nest those.

Around the same time I starting thinking about Emirates commencing the new longest flight in the world, a nonstop from Dubai to Auckland. I have previously flown the (then) longest flight in the world on Singapore Airlines between Singapore and Los Angeles (on the inaugural flight) and later between Singapore and Newark (return on the inaugural flight in both directions). You can read about the latter in my trip report - some FTers do the inaugural world's longest flight SIN-EWR vv. The Singapore Airlines flights have since been discontinued. While the Emirates flight is shorter than those it is still very long.

I wasn't able to fit into my schedule the inaugural Emirates flight but managed to link it in with my other tickets.

Great. Over the course of a week and a half I get to fly Qantas some more (I am approaching 500,000 flown miles on them), fly the 747 once more before it disappears (as many airlines have already discontinued this aircraft), fly some more Oneworld airlines, and fly most of the way around the world (twice) in Emirates first class.

Needless to say I was looking forward to this for the few short weeks between booking and flying on these tickets.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Wellington to Sydney (WLG-SYD) on Qantas (QF) operated by Jetconnect 737-800 in business class

I like flying Qantas. A lot. Indeed there are only one or two airlines I've flown more than on Qantas. One if measured by number of flights - I have flown Air New Zealand nearly 1000 times but Qantas just under 500 times. Two if measured by distance - I have flown Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand both over 1 million miles but a little less than 500 thousand miles on Qantas.

I don't get to fly Qantas as much as I used to. Less frequency of flights and inconvenient schedules are part of the reason. I also haven't done much travel intra-Australia during the past few years whereas previously I would spend a few days to a few weeks exploring the continent whenever I got the chance.

Still, I fly enough that this flight is a familiar experience. Up at oh my god o'clock after trying and failing to get much sleep.

My phone rings. My pre-ordered taxi is early - 20 minutes before the arranged pick-up time. Ugggh. I know check-in will be open by 0400 but there is no point arriving too early since immigration doesn't open until about 0430. As it is when pre-booking the taxi strongly encourages you to select a time that is too early for check in to be open, let alone immigration. Arriving early just rubs salt in the wound. Why do I pre-book a taxi then you may ask? It is from hard experience. At that time of day many bars are just closing and it can be difficult to find a cab to hail, and if calling when ready it may take half an hour for a cab to become available. Thus, for early departures I prefer to pre-book even though it forces an earlier wake-up than is strictly necessary.

I pack and head downstairs. I don't know why I should feel guilty about making the driver wait a few minutes given he is so early, but I do. Arriving at the airport, check in hasn't yet opened so I go to my usual quiet spot and chill for a while, being careful not to fall asleep!

I wasn't sure if I would get boarding passes for all of my flights "today" given the flights are across two airlines and the third flight departs more than 24 hours from now. If not I have a long enough transit to collect them from the transfer desk without any hassle. I was handed 3 boarding passes.

By now immigration was open so I queued up for security and proceeded through smartgate, take the compulsory walk-through the duty free shop being careful not to knock over any displays and on to the lounge where I am welcomed back.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Boarding is underway so it will be tomorrow before the next instalments.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yeah! As I am basically grounded I need to have you fly in order to get my hit.
I was not expecting so many flights in particular the EK DBX-AKL one.
We should catch up when you have written most of this or will badger your to finish it.....
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

continued ...

The lounge is a shadow of what it used to be, with fairly meagre food & drink options. The computers are long gone and the tvs seem to always be on high volume. I suppose that is to keep us awake until boarding time. There is one aspect I like, which is the side door directly to the boarding gate.

I take my seat in the rear of the business class cabin. I can't remember the last time, when flying Qantas trans-Tasman in business class, I haven't been in the first row which I'm normally assigned due to my status. The passenger who had the seat beside me temporarily holds up boarding. It seems she is travelling with the couple in row 1 and insists on sitting beside or behind them to help with their infant. The last business class passenger to board was harassed to swap seats.

The seats are comfy, plenty of width but not a huge amount of legroom. Since I tend to eat slowly, if not seated in row 1 I have to watch out for the passenger in front reclining when they've finished their meal. More than once I've copped a spilled drink - okay if it is water, not so good if red wine or hot coffee. The seat is like most domestic first class seats in USA.

A disadvantage of sitting in business class is the monitors are in the armrest of the seat and thus you can't take advantage of the IFE being available until after the initial climb. It wasn't that long ago that IFE wasn't switched on until after the initial climb but nowadays many airlines provide it right from boarding.

The flight was uneventful. I had a quick bite to eat before napping, being aware that as well as the early start to the day I had a red eye tonight so would need to grab some sleep when I could. We did the obligatory loops out to sea before landing on the farthest runway from the terminal.

The international terminal is very busy at this early time of day and so often this flight gets either a gate in the furthest pier from the Qantas lounge (i.e. a high numbered gate) or a remote stand. Today it was a remote stand by the cargo area. Unlike some airlines, there is no separate bus for business class passengers. At least it was not raining or cold, and I don't have a tight connection so the added delays with the bus merely slightly reduces drinking time in the lounge.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
New Zealand to Australia
March 2016

Breakfast

Orange juice

Strawberry energiser

Warm bakery

Seasonal fruit salad

Continental Breakfast

Brookfarm macadamia muesli with cranberries

Hot Breakfast

Prosciutto, parmesan and basil omelette with sauteed mushrooms and roast tomatoes

Buttermilk pancakes with roast pears, blueberries and lemon curd

Beverages

Champagne

Today's menu features Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve, Duval-Leroy Brut, Jacquart Brut Mosalque or Taittinger Cuvee Prestige Brut.

Australian and New Zealand Wine

A selection of premium Australian and New Zealand wines.

Aperitif

Bloody Mary
Campari and Soda
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Absolut Vodka, Sweden
Beefeater 24 London Dry Gin, England
Bacardi White Rum, Puerto Rico
Bundaberg Dark Rum, Australia
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, USA
Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky, Scotland
The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland
Jameson Irish Whiskey, Ireland

Cognac & Liqueurs

Marteli VSOP Old Fine Cognac, France
Cointreau, France
Irish Cream Liqueur, Ireland

Beers

A selection of premium and popular Australian beer.

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Australian dessert and fortified wine is available for your enjoyment.

Non Alcoholic

Juice
Soft drink
Mineral water

Hot Drinks

FIX Coffee
Selection of fine Dilmah tea
Vittoria Chocochino hot chocolate

J_TAS_BF_1_NZ-AUS_MAR16
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney transit

There was a queue, or rather two lines of queues, at transfer security, but it was moving quickly enough. I picked the line that was not getting the nudeoscope. Since I was not first through (which is often the case) I also avoided the non-random explosives test. Up the lift 2 floors for the lounge.

The Qantas first class lounge is pretty good, and they have some great staff. As usual I was welcomed back before I even had a chance to show my boarding pass.

I was grabbing a(nother) drink of bubbles when wijomas found me. The champagne selection today was Veuve Clicquot, G.H. Mumm's Rose and Taittinger. The Perrier Jouet mentioned on the menu was not available. Overall the bubbles offering seems not as nice as on previous visits.

Since I'd eaten onboard the previous flight I didn't bother with eating in the lounge. The lounge food is generally better, and with more options. If I skip breakfast onboard then I'll eat in the lounge. But not today, especially as lunch is served quite early on my onward flight. The breakfast menu lasts until 11:30am (in practice midday). When this lounge first opened breakfast was only until 10 or 10:30am before the all day menu takes over.

I had a shower to freshen up. I tend to take these whenever I get the chance because you don't know what mishaps may arise that foul up travel plans so that another shower is not possible until much later on. Besides which, a shower rejuvenates my mind as well my body.

A couple of glasses later it was time to leave for the gate.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 2, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
Sydney First Class Lounge
March 2016

Autumn Breakfast Menu

Breakfast available until 11:30 am

Seasonal fruit salad

House toasted muesli

Bircher muesli

Shaw River buffalo milk yoghurt with honey, apple, lemon and hazelnuts

Buttermilk pancakes with cinnamon poached plums and mascarpone

Sweet corn fritters with bacon, avocado, creme fraiche & tomato jam

Wholegrain toasted sandwich with bacon, lettuce, tomato & aioli

Bread

Your selection of toasted Brasserie Bread with condiments

Sourdough, quinoa & soya, granary, ciabatta or fruit bread

Raspberry, apricot and strawberry jam

Orange marmalade, honey or Vegemite

Free Range Organic Eggs

Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon or leg ham

Whole egg omelette with leg ham, mushroom and thyme

Egg white omelette with spinach, ricotta & basil

Signature Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried with bacon, pork chipolata, hash brown and roast tomato

Light Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried with wilted spinach, field mushrooms and roast tomato

Eggs Only Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried on toast

Available from 11 AM

Seasonal soup of the day

Buffalo mozzarella with heirloom tomatoes, basil and balsamic

Salt & pepper squid with green chilli dipping sauce & aioli

Club sandwich with chicken, slow roasted tomatoes, bacon & aioli

Grass fed beef minute steak with tarragon - shallot butter and chips

Mixed leaves with palm sugar vinaigrette

Bowl of chips

Beverages

Coffee

Cinque Stelle by Vittoria

Tea by T2

English breakfast
Earl grey
Peppermint
Chamomile
Sencha
China Jasmine
Chai
Lemongrass & ginger

Cold Drinks

Fruit energiser

Freshly squeezed orange juice

Cocktails Non Alcoholic

House lemonade - from Spice Temple Sydney & Melbourne

Passion Club - lychee puree, grapefruit juice, passionfruit & lime juice

Ginger soda - pineapple, lime juice, ginger beer & mint

Cocktails

Bloody Mary - Vodka with spicy tomato juice

Kingston punch - Darm rum, lime juice, sparkling apple juice & mint

Champagne

Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut

Taittinger Brut Reserve

G.H. Mumm Rose

Beer and Cider

James Boag's premium lager

James Boag's premium light

Hahn super dry

Stella Artois

Heineken

James Squire pale ale

Coopers pale ale

Pipsqueak apple cider

White Wine and Rose

Mount Langi Ghiran "Cliff Edge" Riesling 2009, Grampians, Victoria

Clonakilla Viognier Nouveau 2015, Murrumbateman, New South Wales

Wither Hills "Rarangi" Sauvignon Blanc 2013, Marlborough, New Zealand

Abel's Tempest Chardonnay 2012, Tasmania

Dominique Portet Fontaine Rose 2015, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Red Wine

Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir 2013, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Haselgrove "Switch" Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre 2014, McLaren Vale, South Australia

Levantine Hill "Rebeus" Red Blend 2013, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Wolf Blass "Brown Label" Shiraz 2012, Barossa Valley, South Australia

Penfolds Bin 8 Cabernet Shiraz 2013, Multi Regional, South Australia
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
A disadvantage of sitting in business class is the monitors are in the armrest of the seat and thus you can't take advantage of the IFE being available until after the initial climb.
You're showing your row 1 chops there - only 3 of the 8 Jetconnect 73Hs have armrest mounted IFE screens (ZQA-C). The other five have seatback screens. Of course being in row 1 you always have armrest mounted ones!

Glad to see you back on the TR forum though.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:20 pm
brg

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It has been a while since my last FlyerTalk trip report.
A legend returns
I lurked here for quite a while and read a few of your old posts here and on the blog.
You predicted the rise of the big 3 ME airlines with the advent of the longer flight duration many years ago.
I look forward to the full report
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Hong Kong (SYD-HKG) on Qantas (QF) 747-400 in business class

I've long associated flying on 747 with international travel. When I was small I saw Air New Zealand's first 747 arrive. Visits to the airport saw 747s from such exotic airlines as Thai, Singapore, Cathay Pacific, etc. Later my own international travels were often on a 747. It is only in the last couple of years that I have flown more flights on a different widebody, the 777, although the difference is only a couple of flights at the moment.

Surprisingly, my very first Qantas flight 18 years ago was on a 747 between Sydney and Melbourne. This was also my first flight on a 747. It was an international flight (originating from I don't know where) and so I also had the (then) novelty of passing through immigration twice without leaving the country. In later years, once I had access to lounges, I would seek these flights out for the improved comfort onboard as well as the better food & beverage options in the lounge. Nowadays Qantas has eliminated all their domestic international flights (though subsidiary Jetstar has a few) as has Air New Zealand.

With many airlines finishing flying the 747 in recent years, and only a few airlines bothering with the newish 747-800 model, I don't expect to have many more flights aboard 747s. So while the hard product for this flight is starting to show its age, I was still happy to be on this aircraft once more.

Despite the seat map showing plenty of empty seats when I checked a couple of days before departure the cabin was fairly full. The menu was on the seat when I reached it. Not that I needed it since I had pre-ordered the main course (available from 7 days before departure), having read of reports of very limited options being available onboard once pre-orders are allowed for. Only the mains/starters on the menu are available for pre-order (unlike say Singapore Airlines' book the cook which has specialised options not found on the regular menu).

Pre-departure beverages (water, orange juice or sparkling wine) were offered once boarding was nearly complete. I don't know why but Qantas always seems to be slow to offer pre-departure beverages, waiting until everyone or nearly everyone in the premium cabin has taken their seat. Compare this to the likes of Singapore or Emirates which offer drinks proactively to each person when they are seated. Air New Zealand is kinda in between - not as quick as some airlines but quicker than Qantas. Amenity kits are also handed out. No pajamas (Qantas offers these in business class as well as first class), I guess because it is a daytime flight or the flight duration is too short?

About 90 minutes after departure lunch is served. The start of service seems a bit late to me, especially as there is a second meal, snack really, later in the flight. The food is okay but not memorable. I managed to catch a few hours sleep until woken to bring my seat into the upright position for landing.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 4, 2016 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Sydney to Hong Kong
March 2016

Menu

Small Plates

Zucchini soup with olive and parmesan croutons

Caramelised fennel salad with farro, kale, hazelnuts and saffron yoghurt

Lemon cured kingfish with carrot, daikon and nuoc cham dressing

Main Plates

Linguine with mushrooms, braised greens, chilli and ricotta salata

Seared ocean trout with fennel, leek and mussel broth

Smoky beef brisket sandwich with barbecue sauce and pickled red cabbage

Lamb biryani with sarlas, cucumber and tomato salad

Salad of garden leaves with your choice of dressing

Dessert

Selection of cheese served with accompaniments

Baked vanilla custard with rhubarb, honey pears and almonds

Ice cream

Seasonal fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona chocolates

Snacks

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight.

Whole seasonal fruit

Raspberry, marshmallow and coconut biscuit

Red Rock Deli chips

Valrhona chocolates

Prior to Arrival

Hokkien noodles with roasted eggplant, Chinese pickles and chilli

Roast duck with XO sauce and jasmine rice

Kibbeh with cumin spiced yoghurt

Beverages

Champagne

Today's menu features Duval-Leroy Brut, Jacquart Brut Mosaique, Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve or Taittinger Cuvee Prestige Brut.

Australian Wine

Premium Australian wines selected by the Qantas Rockpool Sommeliers.

Aperitif

Bloody Mary
Campari and soda
Gin and tonic
Vodka and ginger beer

Spirits

Absolut Vodka, Sweden
Beefeater 24 London Dry Gin, England
Bacardi White Rum, Puerto Rico
Bundaberg Dark Rum, Australia
Jack Daniel's Bourbon, Tennessee, USA
Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky, Scotland
The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland
Jameson Irish Whiskey, Ireland

Cognac & Liqueurs

Marteli VSOP Old Fine Cognac, France
Cointreau, France
Irish Cream Liqueur, Ireland

Beers

A selection of premium Australian beer.

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Australian dessert and fortified wine selected by the Qantas Rockpool Sommeliers.

Non Alcoholic

Juice
Soft drink
Mineral water

Hot Drinks

Espresso or plunger coffee
Selection of fine Dilmah tea
Vittoria Chocochino hot chocolate

J29_97_117_127_AUS-HKG_MAR16
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Hong Kong transit

A short walk through past the thermometers that all arriving passengers at Hong Kong must go by. Transfer security had two lanes - one slow and the other had no one (until I turned up).

I had plenty of time until the next flight and despite the short sleep on the inbound flight I was worried about falling asleep waiting for the red eye. So I decided to help stay awake with a mini lounge run and a wee bit of walking around the terminal. Interspersed with a few drinks and dinner.

I visited the Qantas lounge - the current incarnation is probably about the fourth I have visited here). The lounge was full but the food and beverage offerings had improved considerably since my previous visit. If reports on the Qantas forum are correct, this is deliberate to offset the very limited meal offerings on the overnight flights from Hong Kong.

Next across the base of the terminal to visit the first class Cathay Pacific lounge at The Wing, where I had dinner. The menu, which I'll post next, is only a small portion of the food offerings. The drinks were pretty good too.

Now a walk down the length of the terminal and back, before returning to The Wing. I could have visited Cathay Pacific's other lounges - The Pier, The Cabin (business class), The Bridge (business class). I had a shower to freshen up and caught up on some messages.

My onward flight departed from down the other end of the terminal so another walk. The transit time went by quicker than I expected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.