Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Breaking Through the Five Million Mile Threshold in Style

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Congratulations on 5 million miles. What a way to cross that milestone. Great timing too, shortly before the massive devaluation of Emirates awards using Alaska Air miles.

Took me a while to finally sit down and read your report. But it is always a great read. Your writing style is engaging. Thanks so much for taking the time to write such great reports that allows others to travel with you.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Thank you, AF1990. I'm a rare attendee at FT DOs - the last one I went to, I couldn't find any of my fellow attendees! Still, I willing to give it another try someday. In the meantime, you're more likely to run into me in an airline lounge. (UA, AA, DL, AS, AMEX Centurion and AirSpace)

Uh oh - gotta run again. These last free moments before heading out on another trip are few and far between. My flight leaves in five hours!
Lounges sound even better, Seat 2A! Here's me raising a glass to your 5M, and looking forward to your next 1M! Having just moved from the US, I'm now enjoying SQ, TG and NH lounges more often. Drop me a PM whenever you are in Asia/ME next. Hopefully we can meet up. Safe travels, and again, fantastic TR!
Old May 2, 2016, 9:24 pm

Congratulations on the 5 million mile mark -- an amazing achievement! I love your reports, don't ever change them!
Old May 3, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Ever since you posted this TR - I've been looking forward to another fantastic
vicarious trip. It was worth the wait, and the extra little detail of your cabin
was generous of you to share. So cozy!

Thank-you for some wonderful hours of reading.

You mentioned something about a gin and tonic recipe in another TR - that's where
I'm off to next.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:10 pm

Thanks ACCDraw for bumping this report up. I had read the first part awhile ago and was able to read the entire report tonight.

Seat 2A, amazing detail and a pleasant read. Thank you
Old May 4, 2016, 7:27 pm

brodielayne - kind of awesome isn't it?!

ACCDraw.2 was dying to hear about this trip. "Patience grasshopper."
Any TR from Seat 2A is a carrot.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:01 pm

I think this is the first time I have read one of your trip reports. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
I prefer more words than photos but that is me. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
My goodness! A friend notified me last night that this tale of inflight excess was still garnering commentary. I am thankful and honored that so many of you have not only read it but also felt it worthy of comment afterwards. Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Even back in the day, however, those first class bars were often sparsely populated. Eons and eons ago, I once crossed the Atlantic in a nearly new Air France 747-200, where "upstairs" was entirely given over to the bar. It, too, was practically empty and it wasn't even open for the entire flight. I remember that the one other passenger up there, a guy from South Africa, was nice enough to put up with chatter from the still-too-young-to-drink crowd, namely me.

The spiral staircase was fun, and I still have the 4-1/2 foot long fold-out promotional poster for the service.
My first flight in First Class aboard a 747 came aboard a Qantas bird routing YVR-SFO-HNL. Qantas published a beautiful brochure depicting a busy lounge with passengers having a wonderful time munching hors d'oeuvres and sipping colorful drinks. I keenly remember my disappointment upon ascending the spiral staircase on each leg only to find the beautiful lounge sitting empty.

By the time I logged my first flight in First Class aboard an Air France 747 (IAH-MEX May 1980), their lounge had been replaced by 3-3 coach seating.

When I was a schoolboy back in the early 1970s, I used to write endless letters to the airlines in pursuit of brochures, postcards, menus, etc. I know the brochure of which you speak. It's too bad we couldn't have flown together aboard that Air France flight you mention. I'm sure we would have had a great time talking aviation while drinking sodas. ^

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Your Emirates flights have rekindled the excitement for my first, and likely only, EK F flight this fall. I enjoyed the focus on the food and the experience, rather than some ill timed selfies in the shower like some bloggers.
Have a wonderful trip, KK! I was so lucky to have redeemed my miles when the SIN-BNE-DXB-SFO-FAI trip required just 100000 miles. Now it's 180000 for the same ride. As for a selfie in the shower - it's probably a generational thing, but I've yet to ever take a selfie. The frequency with which some people do all seems a tad narcissistic to an old timer like me.

Originally Posted by flycal312
Having read nearly all of the 73 in your ongoing series, I'll echo the comments to keep 'em coming. Alaska has enough interesting partners (Air Fiji, LAN, Hainan, Iceland Air, etc.) that I'm sure you can find a way to keep it up for at least another decade.
Thanks for your patronage, flycal312. That's a lot of reading! I do indeed look forward to logging flights aboard Hainan and Icelandair sooner than later.

Originally Posted by duchy
It's your enthusiasm for every aspect of the experience that makes your reports so much fun. You literally take your readers along with you for the ride. I found myself remembering flying Pan Am in First and my first caviar service and relishing the experience in the same way you do. It was very evocative.
I prefer the text reports......I find the pictures are so much better. Almost anyone can take a photograph but to deliver that image with words is a craft and a talent. Thank you.
Enthusiasm is difficult to discern via photo reports and in any event is rather lacking amongst modern day flyers. That is to say that while most people like to fly First Class, the pomp and circumstance that accompanied a flight in First Class aboard the likes of Pan Am or BOAC back in the day – indeed just the pure excitement of flying aboard a jet - really added to the enthusiasm for the journey. Modern day flyers don't get to experience that to such a degree on most airlines these days.

It seems hard to believe that when the 747 first entered service in 1970, jets had only been flying domestically in the U.S. for 11 years. Jets and indeed flying itself was still exciting and amongst many there was plenty of enthusiasm. Flyers of our era were steeped in that enthusiasm and it means a lot to hear that I’m able to impart some of that enthusiasm to my reports. Thank you, duchy!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 7, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Old May 7, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by fti
Congratulations on 5 million miles. What a way to cross that milestone. Great timing too, shortly before the massive devaluation of Emirates awards using Alaska Air miles.
Thank you, fti. How fortuitous that I was able to book and take this trip when I did! Only two weeks later the EK segments would’ve doubled in price!

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Here's me raising a glass to your 5M, and looking forward to your next 1M! Having just moved from the US, I'm now enjoying SQ, TG and NH lounges more often. Drop me a PM whenever you are in Asia/ME next. Hopefully we can meet up. Safe travels, and again, fantastic TR!
Thank you, AF1990! You are indeed lounging in style out there across the Pacific. I would love to join you for a drink someday in any of the lounges you mention. Let’s hope it can happen someday! ^

Originally Posted by joanek
Congratulations on the 5 million mile mark -- an amazing achievement! I love your reports, don't ever change them!
When it comes to generating these reports, I’m a one trick pony. I only know one way. Thanks for your continued readership, joan! I’m glad you like ‘em!

Originally Posted by ACCDraw
Ever since you posted this TR - I've been looking forward to another fantastic vicarious trip. It was worth the wait, and the extra little detail of your cabin was generous of you to share. So cozy! Thank-you for some wonderful hours of reading.
Thanks for your kind words, ACCDraw. I thought of you while passing through Durango a couple of weeks ago. I had dinner at the Strater and breakfast at the College Café before driving on to Greeley via 160 and Wolf Creek Pass. Bayfield has become a metropolis since my days of slinging hay bales there back in the early 70s.

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Thanks ACCDraw for bumping this report up. I had read the first part awhile ago and was able to read the entire report tonight. Seat 2A, amazing detail and a pleasant read. Thank you.
Thanks for reading and for your kind comments, brodielayne.

Originally Posted by mromalley
I think this is the first time I have read one of your trip reports. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I prefer more words than photos but that is me. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
You’re welcome, Mr. O. It’s always nice to hear a vote for the written word. In these days of texts, twitters and emails, real writing is a disappearing art.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 7, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Old May 8, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've never travelled on Cathay, so I enjoy seeing their offerings.

God I love travel up the front of a plane!!
Old May 14, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
. . . I had dinner at the Strater and breakfast at the College Café before driving on to Greeley via 160 and Wolf Creek Pass. Bayfield has become a metropolis since my days of slinging hay bales there back in the early 70s. . .
Oh my yes, Bloomfield has metastasized all the way to Durango & environs.

ACCDraw.2 & I just finished a look-see-trip through Grand Junction, Basalt,
Aspen & finished in Telluride. Aspen broke my heart - A million years ago, it
used to be an adorable little ski town. Thought about paying my respects to the late, great Hunter Thompson but felt claustrophobic - so left asap & went to
Marble.

Last edited by ACCDraw; May 14, 2016 at 4:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Amazing!!! What a feat. Thank you for sharing
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
What an amazing collection of Trip Reports - well written, thoughtful, and it's nice to see when someone appreciates the delights of premium flying whilst still being humble and modest. Really enjoyable read whilst sat here on my travels - and congrats on the 5MM!! Im still hunting down my 1MM!! But for my 20s thats not bad going right

Ive always been meaning to come up to Alaska way - looks stunning!!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
I don't know how I missed this installment of "Travels with Seat 2A" but I loved it, like the others. It's the mix of words and photos that brings the trip alive.

I know this is "Flyer"talk but some pictures and commentary of your stop in Brisbane would of been appreciated. I know you said there were other decrniptions, but none with the photos and flair for writing that you have.

Anyway, keep it coming, in whatever manner you desire!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
It is been far too long since I had the time to fully indulge in a trip report by most esteemed Seat 2A.

But over the last two days, as I am building up anticipation for my own next jaunt around the globe, this read (and yes, quite a read it was) did a fantastic job at getting me giddy with excitement. Not to mention make me feel somewhat less crazy about my own passions, thanks to snippets like
The nonstop distance between Brisbane and San Francisco totals 7070 miles. I’m flying 370 miles farther than that to get to Dubai, after which I’ll then board a fifteen hour 8090 mile flight onward to San Francisco. Am I crazy for this stuff or what?

Honestly gang, I can think of a lot more challenging environments in which to spend 30 hours or travel.
So a massive thank you, Seat 2A. And to many more happy landings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.