Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Breaking Through the Five Million Mile Threshold in Style

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Breaking Through the Five Million Mile Threshold in Style

Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, you've done it again, buddy! Wow!

Looking forward to your visit down our way as well!

:-: ^ :-: ^ :-: ^ :-: ^ :-: ^ :-:
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
As always, amazing trip report 2A. Really appreciate the personal touch of posting pictures of your cabin! Nothing like home.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
As always - your awesomeness - absolutely outstanding and congratulations on the 5 million.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MilesandSmiles Elite, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Enjoyed every word. Filled my evening stuck in a CPH airport hotel very nicely. Thank you very much, you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar...
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Well done as always. Thank you for sharing with us. Congrats!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Thank You

Well done, thank you for the time creating this TR. Instead of novels know days sometimes I tend to look up the TR forum as I am preparing to sleep, and have enjoyed this one over the past several nights.

On your next trip, may I suggest the sequel to that novel, One Year After.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ
Congrats! Great report!
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Great TR! No one does it better!
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Outstanding Sir! Bravo on your achievement.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
As always - your awesomeness - absolutely outstanding and congratulations on the 5 million.
Originally Posted by Christickler
Enjoyed every word. Filled my evening stuck in a CPH airport hotel very nicely. Thank you very much, you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar...
Originally Posted by UAL250
Well done as always. Thank you for sharing with us. Congrats!
Thanks, gang! I am indeed honored to have so many appreciative readers. Thanks for both reading and for your kind words. ^^

Originally Posted by pacman3
I am lucky enough to be able to experience EK's F class service from the West Coast (LAX, typically) 2 or 3 times a year to DXB onward to Jeddah, where I have a second home. Your travelogues capture the essence of F class travel across the globe.

Thank you for your written narratives, punctuated with photographs. For those of us who still read, your experiential descriptions are so welcome. Again, thanks, 2A - I'll think of you on my EK journey from LAX (starting in PDX) to JED next month.
Thank you so much, pacman3. In this day and age, good old fashioned trip reporting is under appreciated, so thank you for the props! Ideally the positive reception to my reports might inspire more people to have a go at writing their TRs, though I'll not be holding my breath.

As you must have heard by now, the redemption levels for First Class award travel on EK via Alaska's Mileage Plan have recently increased about 80%. I am thankful that over the past three years I've been able to enjoy EK's magnificent First Class on a number of occasions. Alas, unless I win a contest or the lottery, it would appear my days of flying EK F are over.

Originally Posted by Strawb
I imagined myself in your shoes and choosing which dishes I would have liked to try before reading each part of your meal descriptions. I haven't flown International First Class for a while and this has truly inspired me to book another trip this year.
Mission accomplished! I'm glad you were able to come along for the ride, Strawb, and I wish you happy contrails on your upcoming First Class adventure!

I've got to take a break here to head into town and run a few errands in preparation for another sizeable trip that I'm leaving on tomorrow. I'll get back to more responses later this afternoon. Thanks again, everyone!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:22 pm
brg

"Unfortunately, this trend of forgetfulness and a basically cavalier approach to service would be evidenced numerous times throughout the flight. Rather than describe each instance to you as it occurred, suffice it to say that Gustavo was basically a friendly slacker, better suited to steward duties aboard an Argentinean bus than a world class airline of Emirates’ caliber. How he ever got assigned duty in the First Class cabin will forever more be quite the mystery to me. Be that as it may, he was my slacker for the next fourteen hours so all I could do was make the best of it and, as the situation called for it, gently prod him toward doing or remembering to do his job. "

Haha ....
Wonderful report.
I hope the new AS devaluations will not slow the pace of these reports.

What I love about your reports is that you do not stick to just planes like most others and describe the buses and trains and this makes travel fell alive and real.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by brg
What I love about your reports is that you do not stick to just planes like most others and describe the buses and trains and this makes travel fell alive and real.
^ Exactly
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:30 pm

Congratulations on your milestone and thank you for an amazing trip report. I do read (and enjoy) every word and also the photography!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by lb8001
Seat2A, just keep right on writing these fun, interesting, wonderfully photographed trip reports. They're all awesome and this one continues the series. Don't doubt that there aren't many of us that have big smiles appear when we see another one of your TRs appear.
Music to my ears, lb8001 - It seems 25000 words or more is becoming standard for me these days, so thank you so much for taking the time to read them!

Originally Posted by cs57
To repeat what others have said: Thanks for the huge amount of time spent to write such trip reports that are always so well written, with the added pleasure of such good photos. You have a great gift, and the fact that you add memories of past flights so many people that never will know how airline inflight service was long ago is a great addition. Believe me, your trip reports are never boring! Thank you!
Thank you, cs57! After 5000 flights I've got a good number of memories to share. Like an interesting spice in a recipe, they add a bit of additional warm flavor to the report as a whole.

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Thank you for the TR. I quite enjoyed reading it. Keep it up, and here's hoping to run into you, in one of the DOs!
Thank you, AF1990. I'm a rare attendee at FT DOs - the last one I went to, I couldn't find any of my fellow attendees! Still, I willing to give it another try someday. In the meantime, you're more likely to run into me in an airline lounge. (UA, AA, DL, AS, AMEX Centurion and AirSpace)

Uh oh - gotta run again. These last free moments before heading out on another trip are few and far between. My flight leaves in five hours!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, you've done it again, buddy! Looking forward to your visit down our way as well!
Thank you, JL! You'll find me arriving on the same train, the same car and hopefully the same time as last year. I'm looking forward to it!

Originally Posted by canuckshark
As always, amazing trip report 2A. Really appreciate the personal touch of posting pictures of your cabin! Nothing like home.
Thank you, shark! It's a nice little cabin in a nice little setting. I figure if I won the billion dollar lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't move out, I wouldn't sell my truck and I wouldn't quit my job. I would however start riding a lot more of the world's finest (and most expensive!) trains. And maybe I'd build on a sun/reading room.

Originally Posted by AKDan
On your next trip, may I suggest the sequel to that novel, One Year After.
I've already pre-ordered it on Amazon. ^ There's also talk of a film adaptation of the original. After reading One Second After, I'm also in the market for an older truck!

Right, then - gotta go as I've a plane to catch!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Thank you as always, Seat 2A. Your adventures take me to far away places again, and the excitement, yet clear writing makes this such a fun read. Looking forward to the next one, whenever that may be.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Price Gouging Never!!!!

Just checked the Australia Post website to discover the cost of a postcard or letter from Brisbane to the USA.

It is $2.75 so your two stamps were $5.50 AUD.

Same price everywhere so they were not gouging you because you are at the airport.

Great TR as always
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Thank you for sharing a fantastic experience with those of us who truly treasure the wit and wisdom of the written word. I prefer descriptive prose over a photograph because it stimulates my imagination and allows me to participate on an introspective level.

Congratulations on reaching 5,000,000 miles! You have inspired me over the past ten years or so that I have been reading and relishing your reports.

As I am mulling retirement options and am growing less eager to spend hours in front of my computer at the office, it is becoming more difficult for me to put in my required eight hours. Yesterday, I discovered your latest report and almost squealed with joy that I would have something exciting to help pass my time at work as I snuck glimpses of your report during moments of downtime.

Thanks again and please never stop writing your reports!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.