Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Asiana A380 ICN-BKK Business Class – 13 Things I Hate About You

Asiana A380 ICN-BKK Business Class – 13 Things I Hate About You

Old May 2, 2016, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I clicked on your link, since you're not a typical blogger pushing for credit card sign ups. Unfortunately the link did not work
Yeah, I nixed the blog. It was making me too complainy and the articles took too long to write - I'm on 33 sectors flown since Jan 01, almost all in J (and all better than this flight!), and my list of to-writes was getting out of control.

I had a TG flight from PEK-BKK on exactly the same seat types recently which was an irritation, but maybe karma out to get me.

As others have pointed out, they may be identical to the Etihad ones I've booked, but I'll know in a week's time. I am expecting the Etihad food and drink to be up to par - even regular economy passengers I've shown the Asiana food to have been surprised how much little effort they were making up front with it.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:10 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
To catch my connection I always take the 772-operated BKK-ICM-BKK flights. I wish I could have your problems

While OZ is not as good as it used to be I am still relatively happy with the service.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:30 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
First things first: after repeating the NATO-alphabet PNR a few times to the service agent, I decided to retreat in to using the reservation number, when I realized it was the last eight digits of my phone number. What? What? On the plus side, I guess this makes it easy to remember. But what do they do for the second one? While it’s easy to remember, doesn’t that mean anyone with my cellphone number can make changes to my flight? That was just weird.
I think OZ uses Amadeus as Res system but has its own host system (I think IBM Res3 based). The 8 digit number is host reservation number.

This is not something unique only to OZ, e.g. IB has the same arrangement - Amadeus as Res system but Resiber as host/check-in system.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
I think OZ uses Amadeus as Res system but has its own host system (I think IBM Res3 based). The 8 digit number is host reservation number.

This is not something unique only to OZ, e.g. IB has the same arrangement - Amadeus as Res system but Resiber as host/check-in system.
AFAIK OZ is fully Alteá, but the 8-digit number is part of the legacy system which has specifically been ported over to Amadeus.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I would not fly OZ for different reasons.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:00 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
FWIW, the safety card and video clearly indicate that the shoulder seat belt only needs to be worn for takeoff and landing. It is meant to be removed during flight.

This may be the first time you've seen it, but such shoulder straps will become much more common in coming years as regulators have stepped up head impact safety rules -- many business class seats will either need to use a shoulder strap or an airbag integrated into the seatbelt, as some already do.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:34 am

If you pay big bucks to use a 5 star carrier in J then one should expect what you pay. It's pointless saying think of those who never get to travel business class and we get used to this comfort and those in Y would love to experience it. The truth is if it's paid for or earned in some reward way then you expect to get your pay worth.

Sad for the OP to go through lots of small annoyances, I'm sure one or two is OK but when you have like 10 on the same flight, it's surely going to make most of us annoyed rather than kept happy.

Hopefully you will try the airline again in the future.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I would not fly OZ for different reasons.
Which?
Old May 5, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by HangukStyle
Which?
Go on pprune and read the posts from ATP pilots of other airlines discussing the airmanship of OZ pilots' their training regimen and company politics...no way I am putting myself and my family on OZ in any class of service...

And before I get flamed for being a xenophobe...I think the same way about AF...another airline I personally avoid.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mlee888
If you pay big bucks to use a 5 star carrier in J
And on their A380, too! Thank you :-)
Old May 17, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Just completed BKK-AUH-LAX on Etihad, which was the journey I had initially booked in with Asiana. The seats on their 777 are indeed pretty similar, although all have air nozzles and I was able to sleep just fine. Both BKK legs were Jetihad, which was fine as I'm a big fan of the Jet Airways herringbone seats. Service was strong as was food - it wasn't QR, but it was a very solid offering. Very glad I made the switch.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
A fine use of omnishambles, Sir!
Old May 21, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Very detailed and helpful report! Thank you
Old May 22, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I can sympathize when a series of bad experiences becomes synergistic in a negative way ! Each on their own isn't too horrible but together, it's super annoying !

I flew OZ ICN-JFK in F on the A380. No huge life-altering complaints but it wasn't superlative IMO as many F experiences can be. The lack of English was a factor but mainly the lack of any warmth on the part of the crew. If you aren't going to be friendly, then at least be efficient and professional !

I found the hard product alright. Food was so-so. No real entertainment options and likely the whole experience was coloured by one FA who brought me my blueberry smoothie and placed it in a semi-precarious location. I was having trouble with the remote and as she reached over to assist me, I turned a bit and knocked the juice everywhere ! Like everywhere !!! Yes, it was physically my fault but her contribution and reaction was ludicrous. She threw all my items that were now stained into the garbage (including the dustbag for my purse which I can't replace) and then just came back with another glass of blueberry smoothie. It wasn't a good scene. Her attitude was more one of impatience as one would have with a small child rather than a helpful one in face of an unfortunate occurence...

Not a huge fan of OZ... want to try KE next time !
Old May 23, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
I'm totally agree with OP
I have experience in premium cabin only TG F BKK-NRT-BKK,TG J BKK-ICN and same OZ741 ICN-BKK A380 J as OP.
IMO TG have better soft product bottle of minerals water,samsonite amenity kit.
Very surprised when I go back to BKK with OZ and have same experience with OP.
TG old business seat are much more space than OZ A380 but it is angle flat seat.
Next time I would definitely choose TG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.