Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London to Inverness - by Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by xooz
So looks like you can't get a Twin Standard Class shared sleeper with your spouse, as it says they are separated by male/female? Any experiences?
You can select your bunks on the next page so if you wish to sleep in a different bunk you may wish so.

Went up last year if you get two first tickets you can ask for ones with a connecting door to peep in.

Haggis neeps and tatties are my recommendation. The wine list was very reasonably priced. The whisky list was very long and was great for a night cap.
Wanted to head up in a couple of months but they want Ł200 for a standard bunk for a random Tuesday. BA was Ł45 for the flight no brainer. We are getting the day train back as we want to see the views in day light.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA, HA
^ Great brief report, Sealink! I'm surprised that every table doesn't have its own power point, but perhaps that's to be expected given the carriage age. It sounds like there wasn't much fuss about shifting around to a different table?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Cool trip report, nice to read something different.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Have they taken away what i know as the lounge car which is loose seats and sofas where you can grab a few drinks and a plate of haggis neeps and tatties (seat61's review on his site shows it) and wobble away on the bar style seats/tables and then the sofa for a few pints?. I think what you had as the lounge car used to be the seating coach and would be full of students in days gone by (and they sat there all night).

And see those 158s? Hate them, always sigh when they appear for my commute, especially when they appear for a peak service from stirling to glasgow and only 2 carriages. They are refurbishing them though with two usb ports per seat pair and finally more legroom (something woefully missing on the old school 158s).

Last edited by jcm9000; Mar 17, 2016 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:47 pm

It's a small world when you read of someone heading to wick!!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xooz
So looks like you can't get a Twin Standard Class shared sleeper with your spouse, as it says they are separated by male/female? Any experiences?
I´m sure you can - when booking, select 1 Male, 1 Female traveller.

You can then allocate both pax to same cabin. Although often the difference in price is negligible.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wickscorrie
It's a small world when you read of someone heading to wick!!
Haha. Do I know you? ;-)
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Have they taken away what i know as the lounge car which is loose seats and sofas where you can grab a few drinks and a plate of haggis neeps and tatties (seat61's review on his site shows it) and wobble away on the bar style seats/tables and then the sofa for a few pints?. I think what you had as the lounge car used to be the seating coach and would be full of students in days gone by (and they sat there all night).

And see those 158s? Hate them, always sigh when they appear for my commute, especially when they appear for a peak service from stirling to glasgow and only 2 carriages. They are refurbishing them though with two usb ports per seat pair and finally more legroom (something woefully missing on the old school 158s).
The lounge car on my train was more of an old First Class carriage set up. I haven´t had the "traditional" lounge car but think it´s still there - the Caley Sleeper website shows it.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Definitely looks vastly better than what AMTRAK offers!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Thanks for this report, Sealink! My partner and I have booked first-class compartments for a summer trip to Scotland. We're still mulling over our plans, and aren't sure if we want to take the train both ways, or fly one way.

And wickscorrie, we're also thinking of heading to Wick.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Excellent trip report on a classic train route! Would very much like to do that particular sleeper trip with my dad and close friends as part of a Highlands tour.

My GF and mom do unfortunately not appreciate that gentlemen's form of travel too much...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:55 am

Interesting TR. Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Well, went to book my next trip on 29th April and it's fully booked. Can you believe it?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thank you for posting this. It's a train I'm really interested in taking so it's good to see a report. The sleeping accommodations look similar to Amtrak here in the US but the lounge and food look far superior.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
The lounge car on my train was more of an old First Class carriage set up. I haven´t had the "traditional" lounge car but think it´s still there - the Caley Sleeper website shows it.
Loved this trip report, as I am a semi - regular on the sleeper . Yes, the lounge car is still there, and it is a highlight of the train for many. There are drinks, snacks and even full meals.

I noticed a few people asking if they can share with their partner. Yes, if you are booking a ticket for two, you will share a cabin (unless you choose to take two first class cabins - one each). Otherwise, you will be in a shared cabin with someone of the same gender. Personally I prefer my own cabin, so tend to choose a first class cabin for one.

It is an excellent train, and you do feel like it is something special when you see it sitting on the platform. It travels the length of the UK, and there is always a sense of adventure with it. Some have said better than Amtrak... no, Amtrak long distance trains are great . But, I would say just as good.

Anyway from May we get BA flying to Inverness again, which I will of course enjoy, but I'll still be on the sleeper too! Happy to answer any questions people may have about the sleeper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.