F: As/aa/ey/sq/ek/sea-pdx-lax-jfk-auh-syd-sin-hkg-bkk-dxb-sea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
F: As/aa/ey/sq/ek/sea-pdx-lax-jfk-auh-syd-sin-hkg-bkk-dxb-sea

PART I

I wanted to cash in my AA miles I've been stockpiling before the devaluation kicks in March, and there was one continent left on my bucket list that I hadn't been to yet- Australia. Couple that with the fact that I wanted to try the new apartments on EY, I had my eye on the prize. Luckily, they had an A380 from JFK-AUH and AUH-SYD. I knew where I needed to find award space. I needed to get to JFK first to connect to EY to get on the apartments. Searching my award, I couldn't find anything to JFK from SEA. But noticed that AA's LAX-JFK flagship F service kept opening up two days before. I had a flight booked into LGA, but two days before my flight, sure enough the 12:30pm flight LAX-JFK opened. I immediately called AA to switch. Here is a chronicle of a long, but exciteful journey:

Alaska (Horizon) 2129
SEA-PDX
Dep: 8:00am
Arrive: 8:49am
Seat: 2B

All the non stops to LAX were sold out in F, so I had to connect through Portland. I arrived about an hour and half before departure time, and thanks to precheck was through security in a matter of minutes. First I made my way to the Amex Centurion Studio near the B gates.

Compared to the other Centurion Lounges, this one isn't as impressive. It's a bit small, and doesn't have a bar. But it's nice and quiet and has some beautiful views of the tarmac. It's also new so the furniture, and all the amenities inside are nice and relaxing. I also like the blue, green, and white coloring as it makes for a relaxing and soothing aesthetics. I think during the day they serve local beer as they have beer menus, but I've never been here during the day so I'm not sure about that. Other than that they have an espresso machine, and plenty of self serve soft drinks in the refrigerators on the bottom of the counter displays. They also have freshly squeezed orange juice, and apple juice. They always have some interesting pastries in the morning, which I always like to sample. The snacks offered today were some currant scones, carrot muffins, cornmeal muffins, yogurt with fruit fresh cut fruit toppings, nuts and seed toppings.

I made myself a little plate and went near the TV to settle down and eat some breakfast and plug in my iPhone and catch up on the daily headlines. The walk from the Centurion Studio near the B gates, to C and D is always annoying, so I leave about 10-15 minutes before boarding. I left around 7:35. and they were half way done with boarding when I got to my gate. No separate boarding area for MVP members, so I hoped in line with every one else and waited. I'm not a big fan of this puddle jumpers because I always get paranoid they're gonna lose my ala carte bag.

We taxiied and took off right on time in our little Q400, and drinks were hurriedly offered with only three choices of water, juice, or coffee. I had a water and relaxed as we began our descent for PDX.

The flight was uneventful, aside from taking a rare prop which I never do. I got in line and waited for my ala carte bag. I also hate the feeling of seeing them take the bag out of the plane, and wanting to run up to it and grab it, but patience is a virtue and you have to wait your turn. Being a 75k sometimes gets to your head... Anyway, they rolled the cart over, and I grabbed my bag and hurriedly headed towards my connecting gate C5.

Alaska 500
PDX-LAX
Dep: 9:45am
Arrive: 11:56am
Seat: 1E

Boarding was slightly delayed, and of course when this happens everyone clogs up the gate. To make matters worse, this gate is positioned in a corner, so with all the traffic, it's hard when they called for pre-boarding. The agent had to make an announcement for people to take their steats until their row had been called since so many people were in the way. I dodged my way around traffic, and took my seat 1E. Flight attendants were cheerful as always on Alaska and warmly welcomed us aboard. No pre departure beverage was offered in F class, but there were Dasani bottles of water placed at every seat.

In flight service started shortly after and first class was served only a fruit and cheese plate on this quick 2 hour flight down to LA. I was surprised because I took this route six months earlier, and was offered a full breakfast, but I guess they are cutting back. Not a big deal to me, but an observation. I wish I knew how to upload pictures on here, but for those of you who are unfamiliar with Alaska's F class seat they are your standard domestic first class seat. Black leather, 4 rows, in a 2x2 configuration with an adjustable head rest. Comfy enough for such a short flight. I connected to GOGO inflight internet, and was able to do some work. Despite the lack of offerings, the flight attendant were really friendly and ensured drinks were topped off or if we wanted anything else.

As we began our descent into beautiful LA, the lead flight attendant came over to me and addressed me by my last name and thanked me for being a 75K, and how much my business was appreciated. Now that is a nice touch, and something you would rarely see on any of the big 3 carriers ruining air travel these days.

We taxied into the gate, and again the flight was uneventful. But I was very happy to know that my business does mean something to the AS employees, and it is quite common to be acknowledged by the AS staff, and that is very classy and excellent customer service. I made my way over to gate 65 to take the LAX AA shuttle. I really hate the people who are in charge of these shuttles, as they are overtly rude. Yelling, screaming, and demanding are some of the adjectives I would use to describe the shuttle staff. And you better make sure you have an AA itinerary or BP for that day, or you're not taking any shuttle to anywhere. Thankfully the AS machine had spit out my AA connection so I presented my BP and was told to 'WAIT HERE!' even though nobody was around, and an empty bus had pulled up with its doors open. I followed directions and hoped aboard shortly after I was given the okay by the "pleasant" shuttle dragon to Terminal 4.

I made my way to the Flagship lounge. I've taken this route in F before, and have been to the AA flagship lounge in LAX before too. Though it's nothing special compared to international lounges, it is probably the nicest lounge in AA's system with the JFK flagship lounge a close second. I presented my AS boarding pass, and the agent immediately ripped it up and issued me a freshly printed AA boarding pass. She asked if I had been here before, and told her yes, so she let me on my way. Up the elevators I went, and got my key card to go into the flagship lounge. The Flagship lounge is located upstairs next to the customer service desk, behind fogged over glass doors. You must get a hotel key card from the service desk to enter, which you insert into the lock. Once inside, I felt like I could relax. I really like this lounge a lot as they have a really nice self serve bar selection, some good snacks, endless refrigerators with soft drinks, water, and beer, and some nice wines. The buffet was not open yet, though they did have some chicken empanadas, a cheese board, crackers, fruit, and deli meats, which I nibbled on along with a screwdriver I made myself. The lounge is also equipped with a shower, clean bathrooms, and charging outlets are plentiful which is much appreciated. A guy was walking around the lounge in Qantas pajamas who looked totally jet lagged which I thought was kind of funny. Outside the view of the tarmac, I could see all the AA planes. I like comparing the new livery with the old, and to see how much nicer the newer livery is comparatively. No boarding announcements made, so I kept an eye on the time as I sat down to do some more work.

TO BE CONTINUED...
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:36 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Thank you for sharing with us this great report.

Are you planning to take pictures during your trip?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Thank you for sharing with us this great report.

Are you planning to take pictures during your trip?
I'd love to, I took a bunch on my phone but I dont know how to put them on FT.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I'd love to, I took a bunch on my phone but I dont know how to put them on FT.
There is a Wiki at the top of the Trip Report page.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-reports.html
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Looking forward to this one.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Before I knew it 12:05 rolled around, and I collected all my belongings I had set up in my space in the lounge, and made my way to the gate. I hate waiting around at the gate, so I usually stay in the lounge till the last possible minute. As I approached the gate, it seemed they had almost completed boarding with just a handful of people in the economy line. I went over to the right side in the priority access lane and presenting my BP. The gate agent acknowledged me, scanned my BP and wished me a good flight.

American Airlines 4
LAX-JFK
Dep: 12:30pm
Arrive: 8:59pm
A321 (sharklets)

The crew welcomed me onboard, and I found my seat 3F. I placed belongings in the overhead bin. As many are aware, these new three cabin A321's that do the transcon service are really incredible. They new F class seat are in a 1x1 configuration and are the same J seat on AA's new 777-300's. It also seems to be the same Cathay Pacific reverse herringbone J seat. I wished I could show you some pictures, but you can google them. The large PTV swivel's out to face you, when you press a button. There is plenty of room, and you don't feel like your legs are squished, or too isolated like on some of DL's J seats. The ottoman in front of you for your legs is non restrictive, and can comfortably place your feet on them. I am 6 feet and don't have any problems. At my seat there was an amenity kit with your basics, a blanket, pillow, and menus were on the ottoman next to your seat. The seat itself is so spacious there are plenty of places to put your wallet, shoes, watch, or whatever else you want to take off while you sleep.

The crew on this flight were especially friendly which was really nice, and that's rare these days. When I get a nice crew on an AA flight, I really appreciate it. This phenomena is not isolated to AA, but most US air carriers. Anyway, they came around with a tray of water, champagne, and juice. I chose just a water and wanted to stay hydrated. I was wearing a light jacket and had it hooked on the jack hook right in front of your seat. One of the FA's came by and said "Sir can I take that for you?" No thanks I'll keep it, thank you. Certainly sir. " Very professional.

I started to look at the menu, and was disappointed at the lunch choices. To start was nuts with your choice of a beverage. The appetizer was Char Sui Duck or Tomato and Goat Cheese Strata. Salad course was Spring Mix with Fresh Strawberry and Hearts of Palm with your choice of pineapple vinaigrette dressing or balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Assorted gourmet breads will be served with your meal. For the main course were chicken sliders with sriracha aioli and mixed picked vegetables or Pan seared crab cakes with jicama slaw and tomatillo poblano cream sauce, or Creamy Truffld Mac and Cheese with grilled asparagus. Dessert was a cheese plate with nuts and fruit, and of course AA's signature ice cream sundae with choice of coffees and teas. Warm chocolate chip cookies will be served prior to arrival.

The main flight attendant serving F came around to take orders, and I reluctantly ordered the chicken sliders, since nothing seemed to really catch my eye, with a coke. We pushed back right on the dot at 12:30 and began our taxi. Traffic wasn't too bad on the ground, and we were in the air in no time making our climb through the pillow like clouds. It was a little bumpy on the climb out, so service was delayed by a few minutes, but as soon as we leveled off crew sprung into action. My drink was placed with a bowl of hot nuts. AA's mixed nuts are always warm, which you can bet on. Service continued by setting up everyone's table with pristine table cloths, and fine china. The tables conveniently slide out from the right side and into the passengers lap area.

The duck was a little chewy, and small pieces but was ok. The salad was also okay with the creamy pineapple dressing. None of the food was particularly good. The sliders were served with the same coleslaw as the duck appetizer, which was kind of weird. When plates were cleared the FA asked what I wanted for dessert and ordered a sundae with chocolate fudge, nuts and whipped cream with some tea. Can't go wrong, probably the best part of the meal. Service was very professional through the flight. FA's came around to continuously top off drinks, and were very professional which I appreciated.

Most of the flight was spent on Wi-Fi doing some work, and catching up on my movies. American has some really good entertainment selections on their on demand new entertainment system. Very good selection of music and new movies. This kept me happy, and occupied for the remaining 4 hours. Flight attendants also set up a snack basket in front of 1A. I wasn't particularly hungry so didn't check it out, but saw some chips from afar and I'm sure the usual stuff they have in their snack basket like Milano cookies and such.

The seat was really comfortable, and while I never put in full bed mode this trip, I have in the past and can say undoubtedly that you can get some really good sleep in this fully flat seat. The bedding could use some work, especially since it's the exact same as the one they give in business class. I don't really see that much of a difference between American's F and J classes, especially on international flights and I have a feeling they will be doing away with F internationally. The food is the same, the bedding is the same (on this flight), the only difference is the cabins are more intimate like on the 777-300, and this cabin. In any event, I used the seat for lounging, and it's definitely comfortable for this while you are watching a movie or reading or doing work.

Before I knew it, we were making a descent into JFK, and thankfully there was no backed up traffic like there usually is at this time of the night. We touched down right on schedule and taxied into the gate in Terminal 8. I made my way to Federal Circle on the airport train, and got on the shuttle to the Sheraton. I was getting excited for the Etihad apartments tomorrow.

Overall it was a very pleasant flight, and I was very thankful for the wonderful staff that was very good on this flight. I would recommend this over Delta for Transcon service, I think the bed is better and the service is probably hit or miss. The food might be better on Delta, but if the ground experience and comfort is most important to you, than AA is your choice.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I know I've come a long way, but I don't think I'm going to be able to finish all these flights as much as I'd like to.

If anyone has questions about the EY apartments, lounges, SQ, their private room, or EK suites and their lounges at these places please PM me,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.