"After all, it is the chasing...I really love" Mileage Run/Live Blog/GIVE AWAYS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by LAX2CGKx5
Mileage Runs
Flights

Starting on February 11th I will do 5 back to back mileage runs between LAX to CGK. It will take two weeks and during that time I will not spend more than 8 hours in any one city. I will finish on February 25th.

Each trip ends in LAX at 6:20 pm (18:20) and within 8 hours I depart on the next mileage run.

[From when I leave on the 10th and return home on the 26th, I will not stay at any hotels.

I will cross the Pacific 10 times (twice on JAL metal and eight times on AA metal). Currently, of the eight AA trans-pacific flights, seven have been upgraded to business class thanks to SWU's (system wide upgrades earned for being an Executive Platinum, EP, on AA).

In addition to EP status on AA, I am a Diamond Medallion on Delta

How
Simple, FIND ME! Traveling for two weeks can be lonely. Looking back on my travels, what made the most memorable trips were the PEOPLE I met and the stories we shared. I will have yellow FlyerTalk tags on my back pack and rollaboard.

Also, people pay far FAR more for two week all inclusive cruises than what I am spending. Again I will not have to pay for hotel, meals, etc. For people like us, flying is a joy. I love planes, airports, the sights, the smells, and meeting people. I really do look at this as an adventure-vacation. Heck, people pay to live on farms and do farm work as a vacation, so why not this?!

If you have read THIS far...you deserve a little personal information. I recently finished an advanced degree and have not started working yet. I also do not have a spouse/partner/children, which is why I can take the time to do this!
Absolutely, totally - outstanding!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, DL Diamond
I'm in Narita and leaving soon for CGK. Will post from there with full updates. Real quick here is a photo of the food I got in the JAL first class lounge.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Did you have time for free 30 mins massage FC JAL lounge?
Looking forward reading your crazy adventure.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karung99
Did you have time for free 30 mins massage FC JAL lounge?
Looking forward reading your crazy adventure.
Sadly no.. I'm on the plane now and still have NRT WiFi. I've had a foot message there before and it wasn't anything to write home about. Will have much more time at the HND F lounge when I get back from CGK.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:50 am
Original Poster

I asked at the F lounge about getting my return boarding pass to make transitting at CGK possible... They said it wasn't possible. At least the agent seemed genuinely sorry and gave me a deep bow. I'm really hoping I don't have to go through immigration at CGK.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:53 am
Original Poster

J cabin looks empty.... So close but so far. Alas being in first row of Y means more leg room but close to all children. Good thing I slept 10+ hours on way to DFW.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:33 am

Take care of yourself mate, i am excited to see how it all goes for you.^
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I'm here at CGK. When I got off the plane there were a lot of JAL employees guiding people around. I asked one about transiting and she called over the supervisor. He was very friendly and said they've had a few people doing these JAL turns. According to him CGK is not a 24 hr airport and that even if I had a boarding pass I wouldn't be able to get back into the departure area. He then offered to walk me to passport control and explain to them the situation. I then admitted that I'd be doing it several times and he said that wouldn't be a problem. At pasport control there was a LONG queue for the desks labelled "Indonesian" but there was no "Foreign Desk". He had me stand in the short line for diplomatic/crew/APEX. When I got up there he talked to the guy and I got stamped through. He then walked me to customs which was fast. He explained that my options were to take a taxi to a hotel if I wanted to rest or wait at the airport for security to the ticketing desks to open at 3:30 am. I thanked him for walking me through and I am hanging out here to catch up using airport WiFi. Will then walk around a bit for exercise.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andy2016
More lounges need a gym in them. Surprised more don't.
100% agree! More than the lounge... Airports should have gyms as an alternative to lounges. That is one reason I love Changi. They have a gym thatbis cheap and includes use of a shower!

I am surprised airlines with huge lounges at their home hubs don't have workout facilities (looking at you DL, LH, AF, KE, CX, EK, etc...)
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Quick question - Why do you need the case and backpack, apart from carrying 'the swag'? I take that for a two week holiday!
Well for me this IS a two week holiday!

Actually the big problem is the chocolate! I have 15 boxes (two per long flight to NRT from the U.S. and one per HND to LAX flight). The chocolate alone takes up almost a third of the suitcase. Besides that and the swag I have 4 sets of undergarments, four shirts, and a pair of pants. I also have a work out T shirt and shorts. So that explains it all. I am REALLY hoping to unload some swag!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

So lets talk flights....

The flight from DFW to NRT was on an OLD 777-200 with the angle lie flat seats and the seats are definitely showing their age. Even more disappointing than the seats were the flight crew. It was clear that they didn't care and were just going through the motions. The level of apathy was disheartening. The shower attendant at the Qantas First Class lounge was friendlier and more hospitable than this flight crew! I've flown enough to know each airline has their good and bad FA's. The best FA I ever had was on an AA flight from DFW to ORD flight... But on the whole Delta FA's are just much better than AA FA's. I'll try to keep an open mind. I have many more AA flights to go so maybe I'll see better flight crews.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

On the DFW to NRT flight I had the main course and forgot to take a photo of the salad and starter. I did take a photo of the main dish, the duck breast. It was actually pretty good. I had the cheese for dessert which was small and sad. I then went to sleep and despite the crappy seat that I kept slipping down on.... I managed about 10 hours of sleep! I was woken up by the rest of the cabin eating the arrival meal. When I wasn't offered a meal and I didn't ask as I knew I would get a little something at the JAL lounge.
Attached Images  

Last edited by LAX2CGKx5; Feb 12, 2016 at 11:36 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

The NRT to CGK flight was nice. I didn't eat anything but I did get caught up on some reading and language lessons I have on my phone. The flight crew service on econ on JAL was just a world of better compared to J on AA. As an American it is embarrassing to think of all the foreigners used to JL or CX service who then fly AA and get a rude awakening that not all One World airlines are at the same level.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
This is epic. I wish I had the time to do something like this. I will have to live vicariously through this thread.

I will be passing through DFW tomorrow morning (Sunday). I don't have a very long connection, but if you are in DFW tomorrow, I would love to say hi and wish you safe travels in person.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I will be passing through DFW tomorrow morning (Sunday). I don't have a very long connection, but if you are in DFW tomorrow, I would love to say hi and wish you safe travels in person.
YES! I am in the HND First Class lounge right now and a little confused on dates and times... But... I will be in DFW on Feb 14 from early morning until my 11:45 am JAL departure to NRT.

When are you around? Would be awesome to meet someone and PLEASE take some swag... The Delta tumie amenity kits are nice.... The British Airways playing cards are really pretty.

EDIT: We could meet at/near the D Admiral's club in the morning (around 10 am)... I can guest you in if you need AND I can give you my voucher for the Flagship dining if you want to give it a try. I won't be eating before the flight.

Last edited by LAX2CGKx5; Feb 13, 2016 at 4:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.