Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Emirates First A380 & 777 with some SQ Biz with Dubai, South Africa and Singapore

Emirates First A380 & 777 with some SQ Biz with Dubai, South Africa and Singapore

Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Lunch at At.mosphere at the top of the Burj Khalifa

Last year, when I was here in Dubai, I did the special lunch presentation at the Burj al Arab called the “Culinary Flight”. We dined in four different restaurants in this iconic hotel, one restaurant for each course. It was a truly decadent experience that was a once in a lifetime experience.

In all my recent visits to Dubai, I have never made it to the top of the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa. Rather than just do the typical observation deck visit, I decided that we would have a nicer visit if we dined at the famed At.mosphere restaurant on the 122nd floor. It turned out to be an amazing afternoon.

We had decided to go walk around the Dubai “lake” and the adjacent mall prior to going to lunch. I had never been to this new area of Dubai and it sure is built up. The modernization of the “Souk” was nicely done. The Dubai Mall itself is pretty much like other malls in Dubai.

The fountain show in the lake only happens after 6 p.m. so during the day you can see the maintenance guys keeping things working. Just like the Bellagio lake in Vegas, I can’t help but think of all the evaporation that occurs from the lake in such a dry, hot place. We have a drought now in California and it definitely changes your perspective on water. I know that Dubai uses desalinized water which is a very expensive process.

In my emails from At.mosphere, we had been instructed to enter through the lobby of the Armani hotel which is on the other side of the Burj from the mall. Knowing that we had a large meal ahead, we decided that we would walk. Unfortunately, this was not the correct decision as there is no great way to “walk” to the Armani Hotel. We ended up having to walk all the way around and up the streets to enter the hotel.

The Armani definitely had the feel of the stores. Its cold industrial design isn’t actually what I want in a hotel. While luxurious, it was far from warm. Soon we found our way to the correct elevator and went down two levels to the C level check-in desk. There we were invited into the elevator that would be taking us up many floors.

I love an elevator that serves the 112th to 154th floors

We were 15 minutes early for our reservation so they invited us to have a drink in the Lounge which is just adjacent to the Restaurant. The Lounge is used for drinks and High Tea.

A view at the arrival floor of the restaurant, the 123rd floor

The lounge was set up to serve high tea a bit later

It looks like I’m wearing a funny headdress

A view down to the bottom of the Burj and the fountains

We had some pre-lunch Hendricks and tonics before our meal

The whole place felt warm and I really liked the lacquered wood everywhere. Our G&Ts hit the spot and put us in a great mood for a great meal.

Soon we were sitting at our window seats in the restaurant with a spectacular view out across Dubai. It was great to have a relaxed opportunity to enjoy the view from this high vantage point. Last year I had the opportunity to visit the new observation deck of the Freedom Tower in NYC just after it opened. A friend’s company designed the whole experience. It a must do now in NYC when visiting. Having lunch at At.mosphere is also a great experience but a little more costly.

We ordered and soon our lovely food was coming out:

The amuse bouche

Spider crab

Fois gras

Sweetbreads with truffle shavings

Black Cod

The service was very good and friendly, not cold or robotic like some fine dining restaurants. Several of our dishes had a 100 dirhams supplement but this was well worth it.

I love a bathroom with a view! Kind of reminded me of the bathroom at Felix in Hong Kong

More shots from the bathroom

Crepes Suzette

Tom and opted for the three course meal while I am not a fan of sweets very often especially after a big meal. About half way through his crepes, a plate of petit fours arrives with chocolate and mini-Madeline’s. We were stuffed and barely touched any of it. I would definitely avoid ordering the dessert since they serve so many treats at the end of the meal.

After meal petit fours

A view out after the meal

Happy diners after a lovely meal

In every city that I visit, I try to do one special thing that will help me remember the visit. Our trip to At.mosphere will be forever remembered for the time that Tom and I were on our way to South Africa.

Last edited by olafman; Feb 8, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by olafman

It looks like Im wearing a funny headdress
That fist looks ginormous!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
What fantastic views from our dining experience, the food looked really good, and just the right size. Enjoying your TR, and now will be looking forward to trip down to SA
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:54 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Beautiful TR and shots. Look like you are having fun so far! Hope to read rest.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:07 am

Just like the Bellagio lake in Vegas, I cant help but think of all the evaporation that occurs from the lake in such a dry, hot place. We have a drought now in California and it definitely changes your perspective on water.
Humidity is actually very high in Dubai. 52% RH at the moment of this writing (10 PM local time) and over 90% average in the summer. More like Miami than Vegas. So not as much to worry about there.

Great TR!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
What a great start to your TR. I just could not do lunch on the 123rd floor

And as for those bathroom photos, I would be passed out.......

But, as usual, it looks like you are set for another amazing trip, and I trust that the weather in Cape Town behaves, and that the two of you have a great time!!

Looking forward to the rest of the TR.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:12 am
Original Poster

The rest of our time in Dubai

The rest of our time in Dubai was low key. Tom went out and explored the fort, museums, and other sites while I enjoyed doing nothing. I enjoyed not leaving the hotel for the entire day until we went over to see the fountain show. I’m a total sap and loved it. The song we saw performed by the fountain was a lovely Andrea Bochelli piece that is also used at the Bellagio. Stunning.

My version of sightseeing in Dubai

The fountain show next to the Burj Khalifa

Our stay at the Grand Hyatt was very nice. Tom used a suite upgrade and got a lovely Emirati Suite. I am a lowly Platinum so I only go upgraded to the Executive Floor. The lounge and the staff there were very nice. Overall, a great experience.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thanks for a great trip report. Nice to see you wore jackets! lol The folks in the "do you dress for premium class" thread will be pleased!

I'd never be able to go up past the 10th floor of the Burj Khalifa. I'd be too scared. Amazing pic looking down at the pool.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

EK 765 Dubai - Johannesburg First Class

With a 14:30 departure from Dubai, it meant that we could have a leisurely lunch in the lounge before boarding our flight. Tom had never been to the Emirates First lounge before so he wanted to make sure we had enough time to enjoy it all.

As our flight left from B19, we used the First Lounge in that terminal which is the original one that I experienced many years ago. I gave Tom a brief tour and then we installed ourselves in a quiet section for 45 minutes until we decided to have lunch.

Tom experiences the Emirates First Lounge for the first time

Lunch in the lounge starter with some sushi

An empty lounge made for a very private experience

Langoustines in an amazing sauce

Tom enjoyed the duck salad

The Dover Sole was lovely

Lunch was simply outstanding. Everything was excellent. I had had some amazing scallops last year and was looking forward to tasting them again. Unfortunately they were gone from the menu but a delicious langoustine starter was an good alternate.

We both enjoyed a complementary 15 minute massage after lunch. He did head and I did shoulders. It was short and sweet but nice.

Soon enough I received a notification from the Emirates app that we had started boarding and that it was time to go. We were surprised that when we arrived at the gate, it was empty. They had loaded the whole plane! As we approached the plane I thought it was weird that we were entering a plane at B21 and not B19 but thought that it was just a jetway line up issue.

On board we were warmly greeted by our male flight attendant and soon we had champers in hand. It’s nice that they open Dom on the ground in DXB. Tax free Dubai! We did not have the luxury of having the entire first class cabin to ourselves as two other passengers occupied the left side seats. But my side was completely empty which meant I had a meal suite with Tom in the middle and then a sleeping suite at the side.

A pre-departure glass of Dom

Here’s to another EK flight

A Grey Goose martini is a great way to start a flight once in the air

Once in the air I broke with tradition and ordered a Grey Goose martini. Two of them went down very smoothly. Then about an hour later we let the FA know that we were ready for dinner.

It must be dinner time!

Mmmmmm, caviar

Have we been hijacked?!?!?!!

As we were finishing up our caviar, I happened to look at the airshow and noticed that we weren’t really en route from Dubai to Johannesburg!! We had gone far off course and were quickly headed to West Africa! Had we been hijacked by some terrorist group in Senagal or Nigeria? This paired with the weird gate number and my eyebrow went up.

We called over Fabiano, our FA, and shared our concern with him. He looked puzzled and said yes, this flight was destined for Johannesburg. He would check with the pilot.

Luckily he returned from the cockpit saying that the pilot confirmed that we were indeed over EAST Africa and that the Airshow map was incorrect. Phew! Let’s continue with dinner.

Harissa spiced lamb on lentil salad

Beef short ribs

Petit fours

I finished up the final season of Downton Abbey on this flight. I think I watched 4 episodes including the final “Christmas” episode where Julian Fellows nicely wrapped up everything.

I also dozed off for a short while but didn’t want to sleep too long as we would be landing around 9 p.m.

Something’s rotten in Denmark. Or Africa in this case.

As we landed the Airshow was still confused but it was nice to see the familiar sights of OR Tambo as we taxied to our gate.

The flight was once again a great flight and I was once again in my second home South Africa. I immediately thought of my first visit so many years ago in 1988. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Malawi, Africa and had journeyed down to then Jan Smuts International Airport to spend Christmas with my best friend’s family who lived in Johannesburg. I had never met them and it turned out to be an important moment in my life as his parents grew to be my second parents. At this point I reckon that I have made over 50 visits back to South Africa and a part of me will always be here.

This trip I got to share my South Africa with Tom who had never been anywhere in Africa before. As we arrived to passport control, it was so clear that so much had changed in the subsequent 28 years since my first visit. In 1988, all of the passport control agents were white males. Only whites. Only males. Today the row of agents was a much more accurate representation of this amazing country. As I arrived to my agent, this lovely black, African woman said, “Welcome to South Africa.”
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:43 am
Community Director Emerita

Wonderful report. I'm amazed by the quality of food in the F lounge.

Are your South African parents still alive?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Great TR so far and can't believe you had the entire First Class cabin for yourself on your SFO to DXB flight! Can't wait for the rest of the TR!!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:19 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
As we landed the Airshow was still confused
Weird - I have never seen anything like this.

But great report - thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Are your South African parents still alive?
Unfortunately all four of parents have died at this point. Resi, my second mom, was the last to go in 2010. It was during the year that we took traveling around the world for our son's fifth grade. She planned things perfectly as she waited until we arrived in South Africa and then deteriorated quickly. We had the funeral and celebrated her life during the month that we had already decided to be here. I wrote about it in post #5 of My sons fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries.

It's different now to come to South Africa with out them. But we often speak of them and the wonderful memories we have together.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:42 am

Unbelievable; an empty F on an A380.

However even Dubai looks empty.

How much is the meal at the restaurant in Dubai? And the 4 restaurants at the fancy Burj Hotel?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
How much is the meal at the restaurant in Dubai? And the 4 restaurants at the fancy Burj Hotel?
Lunch at At.mosphere is starts at 450 AED for a two course lunch.

Lunch at the Burj al Arab for their Culinary Flight is 1075 AED.

Bottom line: At.mosphere was about $250 per person and the Burj was about $500 a person. Not the cheapest options out there but lots of fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.