AA to New York City - it's a winter wonderland here

Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

FRIDAY

Made it to SFO at 4a.m. Friday morning for a 5:17am departure to DFW, and then onto LGA from there. Had TSA precheck on my boarding pass and zipped right through that line (getting it about 50% of the time now at no cost). Spent 45 mins in the Admirals Club before leaving for the gate at 4:40a.m. Boarding commenced on time. My upgrade had cleared a few days out. I hate this early flight, but it's the only one that worked for my low weekend fare. Only good thing is the lack of traffic for the hour drive to off airport parking.

My breakfast selection was french toast strata:

Had about an hour between flights at DFW so just went to the gate in the C terminal (had arrived in A) to await departure at 11:55a.m. Upgrade cleared at the gate and changed on my AA app on the cell phone, so no need to check back with an agent.

Lunch selection on this flight was a nice salad with chicken, along with carrot cake for dessert:

Arrived at La Guardia at 4p.m. to find a text message that my return flight to DFW on Sunday afternoon cancelled. Checked with an agent in the Admirals Club there and was told nothing else was available Sunday and I was rebooked for a Monday afternoon departure. Best I could do right there and didnt want to chance losing Monday availability for not acting quickly.

Took the M60 bus to 116th and Broadway, right near Columbia University, and changed over to the 1 subway line there. Got off at Rector Street and the hotel was a block away.

For this stay Im at the Holiday Inn on Washington Street in the financial district on an average $88 rate, in a 43rd floor room with a Jersey City/Hudson River view. Agent told me I would enjoy the room and he was right. It even has a view towards One World Trade Center from a small window next to the bed (hadnt noticed that until I was ready to go to sleep).

After checking in at the hotel had a look on Expert Flyer and noticed one seat home on late Sunday night. Called AA and moved over to that. Hopefully it will go out on time. Agent answered right away which surprised me with weather issues in play. Had e-mail confirmation within a few minutes and one less thing to worry about this weekend.

Headed out for a few hours in the financial district, stopping by One World Trade Center, Engine/Ladder 10, the Stock Exchange and Federal Hall, and a dinner stop at Chipotle.

Was back at the hotel at 11pm. Snow just started coming down before 10p.m. The Jersey City view from the hotel was deteriorating:

Photos for this trip report are here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-US...y-January-sno/
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

SATURDAY

Was up at 8:30a.m. and the view from the 43rd floor had changed:

Headed out the door at 9:30a.m all bundled up and ready to tackle the snow and winds. First sign that things had changed overnight was a car being pushed up the street, in front of my hotel, that could not gain traction in the snow on its own. Walked up to Broadway and not much traffic out. Sidewalks were being cleared in front of many office buildings but intersections were starting to become a challenge due to snow accumulating.

Federal Hall:

Stopped at a Starbucks for hot chocolate and the Department of Sanitation snow plows were in action as I left.

Walked up Broadway to the Sheraton Tribeca on Canal Street. Didn’t notice I passed right by it as my GPS was running a little behind and no visible street-level signage. Had to backtrack and ended up taking over an hour to get up there. Snow was beginning to accumulate and I’d have snow up to my knees crossing some intersections. Sidewalks weren’t doing much better and not as many were cleared up here as they were in the financial district. Many sections had snow paths allowing one person at a time to get by without going into deeper snow.

Met EastBay1K at the Sheraton where he is enjoying an upgrade to a suite. From there off to Chinatown for lunch. He had a seafood noodle dish and I had shrimp with noodles. Spent a good two hours here watching the snow being blown around. Our first restaurant stop was closing due to the travel conditions (all buses stopped at noon) and would only do take-out which wouldn’t work for us with the cold weather. We looked for something that wasn't empty and settled on Old Shanghai Deluxe which had a couple guests inside.

Tom:

EastBay1K:

While having lunch the restaurant was filled with emergency alert tones activated on cell phones. We were alerted that a city-wide vehicle travel ban would being at 2:30pm. Snow was clearly becoming much heavier and the winds were not letting up.

Side street off Canal Street - barely passable:

Canal Street:

Got the subway down to Whitehall/South Ferry ad came out across from the Staten Island Ferry. Walked through the financial district and back to my hotel, arriving at 4p.m.

Trinity Church, a block from my hotel:

Standing in the middle of Trinity Place:

Very fortunate that I have a cafe and a pizza place on the same block as the hotel, so won’t need to venture far tonight. Just too much snow now to safely maneuver around on foot. I was walking down the street in parts of the financial district as the sidewalks were just not clear enough to traverse.

Snow expected to clear out by 10pm tonight. Over 20 inches at JFK today so far.

Photos for this section continue here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-US...-sno/i-VhZ5Nvn
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Well, so much for flying home on Sunday night. AA notified me about two hours ago that my flight has been cancelled. I'm rebooked on an alternate itinerary from JFK on Monday night now and have extended my hotel booking here for one more night. Works out fine for me in the end and I'll enjoy another full day here.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm so annoyed that I couldn't get out to NYC this weekend. I'd love to play in the snow for the weekend. though it does save me the explanation to my boss of why I'm stuck far off from Houston on Monday, and maybe Tuesday.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Wow, its really winter wonderland
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Saturday night I popped out to a neighborhood cafe on the same street as the hotel. Ordered their $10.95 meatloaf special which came with choice of two sides, though they only had rice, mac and cheese or potatoes. Doubt I’d go back there for a meal but it did save me from hiking somewhere in the snow. They were doing very good business. Most customers were having $10 sandwiches, but I wanted something more dinner-like.

SUNDAY

Snow totals are in for Saturday. Central Park had 25 inches and JFK 30 inches. Bus service resumed this afternoon (Sunday). This morning the Long Island Railroad was still shut down. Subways are mostly running.

Was out at 9:30 this morning and walked towards Battery Park. 20F as I went out the door. Along the way I had to stop for a bagel with cream cheese and some orange juice to get me started.

Biggest challenge today was crossing intersections. Some had snow walls built up that you had to climb through or over, while others had a slushy mix of ice and water and you didn’t want to walk through that if it was too deep. Several times I walked a half block or a block in order to cross the street without getting my feet soaking wet.

It was beautiful in Battery Park. This is where the ferries depart for the Statue of Liberty, though not a ferry in sight today. Some foot paths had been plowed while others were just worn in by foot traffic through the snow and had enough space for one person to get by.

Walked down towards the Brooklyn Bridge and took some photos. Didn’t appear to be anyone walking across it, so didn’t walk all the way down and try to cross it.

Back to South Ferry and caught the #1 train to Columbus Circle. Visited the Time Warner Building where CNN is housed - you’ve probably seen some of their reports the last few days from street level right in front of that building. Good views from the upper levels of Columbus Circle. 30F on a big video sign atop an adjoining building. There is a grocery store in the basement that I briefly walked through.

Walked into Central Park to see lots of kids enjoying the snow with everything from plastic saucers to toboggans to inner tubes. One person with skis was coming out as I walked in. Also a lot of dogs, including an English bulldog that was really enjoying the snow, running around in it and knocking down the snow at the side of trails. Some of the dogs had paw protectors on so their paws would not be exposed to the cold snow/ice or the salt on the roads/sidewalks.

The ice rink was not operating and there were employees with shovels trying to clear a path into it and to clear the area where you put your skates on.

Started walking down Fifth Avenue but gave up on that after two blocks. Just too much of a slushy mix in the intersections and you really needed snow boots to not get soaked. Walked over to Sixth Avenue instead which didn’t have that problem due to less foot traffic. Stopped for a roast beef sandwich at a Pot Belly Deli.

Down Sixth Avenue to Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center. Along the way I passed buildings with snow and ice melting and dropping on the street below. Quite the hazard if an icicle falls on you from 50 floors up. Caution tape was up keeping pedestrians a distance form those areas.

From there I worked my way over to Seventh Avenue and 49th Street where I got the R train back to my hotel. Once there hit a Dunkin Donuts for some hot chocolate.

Heading back out around 7pm but thought I’d get this out right now. Not expecting to take many photos tonight.

Photos for this section start here: https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-US...-sno/i-DG9Pnkz
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:01 pm
Community Director Emerita

Beautiful pictures, Tom. I'm happy to not be there but am enjoying the beauty.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

You would love it here. You may have to leap puddles of melting snow at intersections, though. Ran into lots of those between 34th and 42nd Street tonight. More photos tomorrow.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tom911
You would love it here. You may have to leap puddles of melting snow at intersections, though. Ran into lots of those between 34th and 42nd Street tonight. More photos tomorrow.
Yes, that is an issue! I walked up to Katz' deli today after buying an "emergency" shirt for my extra day here in Soho, and things were getting pretty slushy. Some streets were fine, others were a mess. I did take UBER back to the hotel because my feet had it for a while. (That one sandwich at about 2pm was my only full meal for the day. I am barely hungry tonight.)

Early this evening, on Canal St (which was getting really messy especially going to the 1 line entrance) the suction of the icy puddle pulled my shoe partway off, and it was the first wet sock experience of the trip, so I consider myself lucky, and not too much water entered the shoe.

As expressed by Tom, I'm glad to have come, glad I didn't need to be home today, and hope the on-time gods cooperate tomorrow. For a life long Californian who has never seen snow fall like this, it was neato.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Great photos as always, Tom! If all goes well, I'll be back tomorrow. Glad you're enjoying NYC. Stay warm!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For a life long Californian who has never seen snow fall like this, it was neato.
Don't think I'll ever have another trip like this one. I've been here in the snow before but we're talking a few inches - not a few feet. Big difference.

Loved seeing all the kids in Central Park having such a great time today (and the dogs, too). Snow is meant for kids. I was born in New York City and lived in Rockland County from 1st-5th grades before the move to CA. I remember owning my own sled back then and we left it behind for the folks that bought the family home because there was no snow in California. Little did we know we'd just be a 3 hour drive away there.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Here's one of those slushy intersections tonight that has now turned into a small pool of water:

Pedestrians were walking out into the road around them or just choosing other places to cross. Expect that pool might freeze overnight.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Great photos - and what a weekend to be in town
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:22 am
Original Poster

I'm at JFK right now, though I don't have a flight for a few hours. Anticipated massive security delays but it was one of the lightest I've ever seen out here. Had TSA precheck tor today and was the first person in that line.

AirTrain is having issues, though. They'll shuttle you for free from Howard Beach to Federal Circle, then two different bus routes from there for the terminals. Added about 30 minutes extra onto my travel time. Not paying the $5 was some consolation.

Was hoping to standby for earlier flights but that isn't going to happen. Just left the gate for one flight that is oversold and two passengers were yelling at the counter agent. Heard them say the next open flight with seats was after 8pm (and this was at 1pm).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

SUNDAY NIGHT

Headed out just after 7 on Sunday night and got off the 1 train at 34th Street. Had a subway car to myself the first couple stops.

Walked behind Madison Square Garden to a pizza place I enjoy every visit. Had sicilian sausage and pepperoni. Total bill with a drink was $10. Talked to the employees for a bit who told me they closed at 3pm Saturday during the storm, primarily because there just wasn’t anyone out on the street to come in.

Intersections in this area were a challenge with pools of water and slush that hid more pools of water. Had to be very careful when crossing and pick a spot where I would be at less risk. Saw one person leap right into a pool of water with athletic shoes. He did not come out dry.

Passed the Empire State Building as I walked up to Times Square. Saw one the brush trucks that are used on sidewalks in place of snow plows. I’ve seen some portable units like this, too.

Usual lineup of characters were present in Times Square making sure the tourists did not leave without tipping them.

Was back at the hotel around 11pm. Had a car to myself the last couple stops again.

MONDAY

I missed my opportunity this trip to become an emergency snow shoveler for the City for $13.50 and hour. Maybe next trip during a blizzard. Lots of folks out this morning near my hotel clearing sidewalks and subway stairs.

Went out for breakfast at 9:30am to a deli just two blocks from my hotel. Pancakes and two eggs were $5.

Checked out of the hotel at 11a.m. (published check-out time) and got the R train into Brooklyn to the A train to Howard Beach. AirTrain only running as far as Federal Circle today - saw workers on their tracks shoveling snow. No charge for entry (usually $5) and caught a shuttle bus to terminal 8 there. Added on 30 minutes travel time, but I’m out here early enough that it’s not a problem.

Had TSA precheck and was #1 in that line, so right through security. Have a 5:15pm flight out with a connection and hope to be home after midnight.

New photos start here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-US...-sno/i-Ldmgdjg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.