Wiki Posts
Search

By-the-Hour Hotels in Amsterdam: The best $50 I ever spent

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Turkish, Alaska
By-the-Hour Hotels in Amsterdam: The best $50 I ever spent

Transatlantic flights are exercises in endurance to say the least. It’s never easy flying into Europe, especially when your plane lands at 7:00 am local time (or midnight as far as your body is concerned). When that ordeal is followed by a six hour layover before reaching your final destination, what we have on our hands is a special kind of hell- and not even business class can save you.

I began flying to Mother Europe as a sullen teenager. Around the same age, I learned about how certain poorly reputed hotels in poorly reputed locations rented rooms out by the hour for unsavory activities. It didn’t take long to dream up what a good idea it would be to have these kinds of places at airports (but with clean sheets and no hookers).

A couple of years ago, work dragged me repeatedly to Atlanta, where I stumbled upon a magical thing called Minute Suites– airport hotels by the hour! That was when I knew: there was hope, and I had a dream.

Recently I flew KLM into Amsterdam from the US, landing at the crack of dawn, and with my connecting flight not until 2pm. I was using an airline voucher, and not about to shell out a dime for an upgrade (after all, isn’t getting something for free the point of the voucher???) To save my sanity in the face of this unspeakable hardship, some cursory research revealed that AMS is home to none other than a Yotel by-the-hour hotel. Rarely have I been so excited for a layover (except for this one time).

I reserved a room online for five hours, for about $50- the same as lounge access, but with a bed, my own shower, and wifi. Somehow the Yotel seemed like a way better deal, free unlimited snack and liquor buffets aside.

After landing in Amsterdam, I followed the crowd of lemmings to the immigration melee and felt a pang of horror upon seeing the non-Schengen line and cursed my lack of jus sanguinis citizenship rights (Drit i det #smh).

Non-Schengen, you are a hot mess.

After glowering for a few minutes, I gleefully realized that the Yotel (and my final destination) were both outside of Schengen. In fact, the escalator to paradise was just to my left, and the soothing purple glow beckoned my exhausted, hollow husk.

Constantly foraging for my next meal, I happily noted that *just in case* I got hungry, Yotel was surrounded by several airport eateries, and has its own snack room service menu.

The mood lighting begins before you even check in!

The receptionist found my reservation, sold me a Fanta, and ushered me through a labyrinth of sleeping pods to my room. They looked like 1950s space ships. With great anticipation, I opened the door, revealing a sizable bed and full bathroom.

Clearly the people behind Yotel know what’s up when it comes to international travel priorities, because the mood lighting is remote controlled from the bed.

After throwing my belongings all over the floor, deciding on a lighting mode, and setting an alarm, I proceeded to lose consciousness for the next four hours.

I just flew economy, and I don't even care!

I awoke, both refreshed and smug for having discovered such an airport gem.

After using up as much hot water as I could stand in the shower, I repacked and headed to my gate. I arrived at my destination fresh as a daisy, or as close to it as one can get.

The verdict: If your international layover is over three hours, and think you might be tired/want to fulfill your longstanding airport sex fantasy, the Yotel is a better deal than a paid lounge pass- and it comes without the businessman dou$hes. In fact, I’d even say that if your trip involves crossing the Atlantic, it’s even preferable to getting a business class seat, if you can’t swing one for free. This by-the-hour hotel is such a sanity saver, you probably won’t even mind that hookers aren’t included.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LeisureClassy
Recently I flew KLM into Amsterdam from the US, landing at the crack of dawn, and with my connecting flight not until 2pm. I was using an airline voucher, and not about to shell out a dime for an upgrade (after all, isn’t getting something for free the point of the voucher???) To save my sanity in the face of this unspeakable hardship, some cursory research revealed that AMS is home to none other than a Yotel by-the-hour hotel. Rarely have I been so excited for a layover
Yotel is awesome. 3-4 times a year I would arrive into AMS on the early flight, shower, sleep, and be in my meetings by 14:00. Love them

The AMS one just finished a big makeover. This looks better then the old version
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Not bad! If you fly First you sometimes get cabanas what´s also a good option
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: Motionsick Planespotters, Inc.
This is tremendously useful. Awesome report!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:45 pm

Fantastic. Great to know about this.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was hoping for something far more *interesting* when I read the title.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Same
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Turkish, Alaska
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's all about marketing, what can I say?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Surftel
Yotel is awesome. 3-4 times a year I would arrive into AMS on the early flight, shower, sleep, and be in my meetings by 14:00. Love them

The AMS one just finished a big makeover. This looks better then the old version
I wonder if it's still possible to access airside without a connecting boarding pass now that you have to go trough security on arrival.

As a word of caution, I once rented the 15-euro shower cabin at this Yotel and found it pretty bad. No ventilation turned the place into more of a steamhouse than a refreshing anything.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MtlChris
As a word of caution, I once rented the 15-euro shower cabin at this Yotel and found it pretty bad. No ventilation turned the place into more of a steamhouse than a refreshing anything.
Try the Mercure next time, at the same price. They also offer day rooms.

Johan
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:23 pm

Nice report. I had about 4 hours at FCO recently, and I was relieved when I saw there was a Hilton attached via walkway to the terminal. And then pissed off because day room rates are from 9-6 and I was landing just before 7 (and using the Schengen line, which had nobody in it). Come on Hilton, at least offer up day rooms to coincide when the Alitalia flights from the US are coming in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.