Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Qantas vs Virgin new A330 business suites - a trip to Perth.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP/OWE

Hi all, I’ve just returned from Perth and was fortunate enough for a points upgrade to J on QF’s new J suite, and I returned to Sydney in VA’s J suite in one of their refurbished A330-200s.

As usual, I’ve put together two videos, and I’ve also commented below on certain aspect of the two services. I’m happy to answer specific questions if they arise.

The lounge: QF’s domestic J lounge in Sydney is fine, although starting to show its age. VA’s Perth lounge is all new and very spacious and quiet when I was there. Both had similar amounts of food/drink with baristas available to prepare proper coffees. VA's showers were much nicer and newer, although QF seemed to have more power points available around the comfy chairs (VA have these benches with power points, but the chairs didn't look all that comfy).

Boarding: both controlled the priority boarding fairly well (which I understand is the norm for VA, less so for QF)

The suite: My seat on QF was a ‘window seat’ so it was more private than VAs, but you couldn’t get access to the aisle when your tray table was being used (unlike with the VA one were you can sneak out when it's still covered with dinner). Both suites felt flimsy though, VA’s more so, which was shaking loudly whilst taking off. The tray table, in particular, felt brittle. Neither felt as solid as those old Skybed mk2 workhorses and I worry how these two suites will feel in 5 years! Both QF and VA suites have ample bench space although, as my camera found out on the QF flight, things tend to slide off easily. QF have a bit of a ledge behind a plastic thing (I can’t described it so check out my video and see where I stored my laptop J ) which will hold things in place. The colour combinations are quite different with VA going for the youthful white and purple while QF have gone for the classier wood/metal look. I like both, but the old-man in side of me probably prefers QF’s wood.
The actual seat: both are wide and comfy, and of course, fold flat. QF’s was more adjustable and came with adjustable lumbar support and a massage feature (which didn’t feel like it did much to me). QF’s option of the semi-reclined position on takeoff/landing is nice too. QF’s seat was a soft leather while VA’s was a coarse cloth. As you flatten the QF seat, it moves down forward towards the IFE screen (which makes it easy to use) although it would be quite compact if you were on the larger side of things, so I suspect larger people might prefer VA’s more open layout.
IFE: QF’s is good, VA’s is not. There was minimal content in VA’s so I had to entertain myself in other ways (watching an amazing sunset, for example). Both are touch screen and in the QF suite, if you flatten it, it moves down towards the screen so you end up closer to it thus able to easily use the touch screen. The QF screen was possible clearer too, although this could have been due to the file quality. Otherwise, both screens were well positioned and large.
FAs: both were probably a mixed bunch, some were friendlier than others. On QF I was referred to by name on several occasions, but not so on VA (unsure why when I recalled them using names of other pax next to me and they had the pax list in front of them). I did notice that the VA staff were asking everyone if they’d used the new suite before which I thought was a nice touch as, to an untrained eye, it could have been very confusing with most things hidden from sight. Food service was prompt and wine was filled on multiple occasions so over-all I was happy.
Food/drink: see what you think in my videos. The service was prompt and the meal portions good. The food and utensils were probably slightly better presented in the VA flight. The wine was topped up as frequently as you’d expect.
The flight: both were comfortable and on time. In fact, the VA flight arrived in SYD ahead of schedule so my run to the train station was a lot less stressful than I was expecting.

Over-all, both were a pleasant experience although I probably prefer the Qantas offering with the IFE being a major factor (it’s almost 5hours from SYD to PER). Both suites seemed brittle, though, so I fear what they’ll be like in 5 or so years!

Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I've been waiting for a good comparison of these two new products - thanks PaulST!

I continue to be impressed by VA's business catering and wine list for domestic... and unimpressed by their lounges (you're right, those chairs aren't comfortable). But both look like excellent products, which I must find some excuses to try
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I've been waiting for a good comparison of these two new products - thanks PaulST!

I continue to be impressed by VA's business catering and wine list for domestic... and unimpressed by their lounges (you're right, those chairs aren't comfortable). But both look like excellent products, which I must find some excuses to try
Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Nice comparison and videos - recently flew the new suites on QF and was wondering how Virgin compared.

I found the QF seats to be uncomfortable compared to the Sky beds, and had trouble getting comfortable lying down as well(on a long Per-Bne flight).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shansta
Nice comparison and videos - recently flew the new suites on QF and was wondering how Virgin compared.

I found the QF seats to be uncomfortable compared to the Sky beds, and had trouble getting comfortable lying down as well(on a long Per-Bne flight).
Uncomfortable in what way? I didn't sleep on my flight but did put it flat and lied on my side to see how comfy it was and it felt fine (I don't have much padding on my hips!)
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: QF Platinum
I just couldn't seem to find a good position - could have been due to the leather/sliding on the seat or just the newness of the seats and being quite firm compared to the old seats. I am also quite short so the sliding may also have been due to not being able to touch the ground...

I did enjoy the large screen and also the large shelving area!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shansta
I just couldn't seem to find a good position - could have been due to the leather/sliding on the seat or just the newness of the seats and being quite firm compared to the old seats. I am also quite short so the sliding may also have been due to not being able to touch the ground...

I did enjoy the large screen and also the large shelving area!
Yeah I did find that I slid down the seat when it was semi-reclined.
The shelving is great for a long flight as I usually have to store computers, cameras, drink bottles, books in my bag.

I look forward to something like this in the QF A380s (and presumably their new 787s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.