Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

LCY-SNN-JFK-YVR/LAX-LHR in BA and CX J, plus Vancouver to Los Angeles by train!

LCY-SNN-JFK-YVR/LAX-LHR in BA and CX J, plus Vancouver to Los Angeles by train!

Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
Always glad to offer the chance for reminiscence, or to build anticipation for upcoming adventures! I'm not sure how seat assignment works on the train but nothing to lose by asking at the ticket check if you can be on the coastal side (right hand when facing direction of travel for Vancouver - Seattle). I hope you have a great time in BA F too - I think we'll be serving Vancouver with an A380 this year.
Thank you, I will definitely see if we can get coastal side seats on the train.

Yes, we managed to get 2 x F redemptions on what is currently the A380, I have everything crossed that this doesn't change!

Slightly disappointed that it goes from T3 not T5 as I would love to spend some time in the CCR but hey that really is a first world problem!

My first first with BA is next week, LGW to UVF.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Great trip report.

It's always interesting to see my old home through other's eyes. Especially as it's so far away from where I live now.

I've used the train station in Lacey a few times. Always on the Cascades though, on trips down to PDX.

I lived awhile about 40m from the tracks in Santa Barbara. The trains were surprisingly quiet, just a roar of white noise that you would only really notice whilst talking to someone.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
A pleasure to read. Thank you for sharing! Combining staff travel and loyalty points is an excellent way of stretching the travel budget - that's my trick too!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Very nice pictures.
For the dairy comments, milk is actually very comparably priced to the USA...
(I've seen $3.49/gallon in Safeway in the USA, compared to $4.49 in Canada. Using current exchange rates and standard conversions, the Canadian milk is cheaper...)
As well, Canada does not benefit from EU farm subsidies (i.e. CAP)
Too bad you didn't make the trip this year with the free DL YVRLAX fare
(though the collapse in the cable rate may offset any of those savings...)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GDOCA
Excellent report! I love train journeys; sometimes 'go-slow' can be the best way to travel. Also great read on the 318 service. Thanks for taking the time to write and share.
You're welcome! and, based on your username, I'm guessing you might enjoy my previous report on the British Airways 737 staff farewell flight .
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
A pleasure to read. Thank you for sharing! Combining staff travel and loyalty points is an excellent way of stretching the travel budget - that's my trick too!
This is the only staff trip I've made so far, but I think the combo is an effective one for long haul - particularly if I can only afford the avios for one way! Hoping to do something similar this year too.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Very nice pictures.
For the dairy comments, milk is actually very comparably priced to the USA...
(I've seen $3.49/gallon in Safeway in the USA, compared to $4.49 in Canada. Using current exchange rates and standard conversions, the Canadian milk is cheaper...)
As well, Canada does not benefit from EU farm subsidies (i.e. CAP)
Too bad you didn't make the trip this year with the free DL YVRLAX fare
(though the collapse in the cable rate may offset any of those savings...)
I figured someone would pick up on this one eventually That's about 50% more than I would pay here, but then, our press often runs stories of farmers being paid less for their milk than it costs to produce. On previous longer stays in Toronto I've found groceries expensive but I assumed that was lack of familiarity with affordable stores, but this time I was using a large supermarket and still being surprised.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Le Blue
Nice report, thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Finally got round to reading this one- a really enjoyable report with fantastic photos!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Love the YVR-LAX by train - impressive. Great report BTW
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
A little late to the party, but just to thank you Flying Doctor for a wonderful trip report! I travelled on the Amtrak Cascades a few years back from Portland to Seattle which was a very enjoyable experience.

Unlike you I am quite a fan of LA (having a good friend living there helps), but am equally looking forward to heading a little up the coast to Santa Barbara and Solvang as part of a trip there next summer. Seriously considering taking the train to Santa Barbara now, possibly hiring a car for the drive up to Solvang (my other half refuses to consider rail replacement busses, so is unlikely to consent to the "thruway bus"...!)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyinghobby
Nice report, thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Finally got round to reading this one- a really enjoyable report with fantastic photos!
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Love the YVR-LAX by train - impressive. Great report BTW
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by daftboy
A little late to the party, but just to thank you Flying Doctor for a wonderful trip report! I travelled on the Amtrak Cascades a few years back from Portland to Seattle which was a very enjoyable experience.

Unlike you I am quite a fan of LA (having a good friend living there helps), but am equally looking forward to heading a little up the coast to Santa Barbara and Solvang as part of a trip there next summer. Seriously considering taking the train to Santa Barbara now, possibly hiring a car for the drive up to Solvang (my other half refuses to consider rail replacement busses, so is unlikely to consent to the "thruway bus"...!)
I think you've accidentally touched on part of why I don't like LA - I can't drive! Although I've enjoyed plenty of American cities on foot and by public transport, that seems much harder in California in general and LA in particular. Part of the appeal of the coast starlight then was being able to experience areas a bit further out of the cities despite my lack of a car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.