Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

LCY-SNN-JFK-YVR/LAX-LHR in BA and CX J, plus Vancouver to Los Angeles by train!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY-SNN-JFK-YVR/LAX-LHR in BA and CX J, plus Vancouver to Los Angeles by train!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Doubletree by Hilton Los Angeles Downtown

Room Type: 1 King Bed Garden View
Nights: 1
40,000 HHonors Points
HHonors points earnt: 5537 (Base + Silver 15% bonus: 287; Double your HHonors: 250; HHonors LTO 5K Points: 5000)

I didn’t really consider LA to be part of my holiday – just the easiest place to get home from. On top of that, I would be arriving at night to an area I didn’t know, and imagined considerable delays could accumulate on a 36 hour trip. So all I wanted from my accommodation was proximity to the station and a familiar chain (rather than another Airbnb gamble).

Unfortunately nothing looked suitable on price grounds, with rooms running to at least Ł140 for the night. I was rescued by HHonors – the doubletree was only 40K, and whilst my 28K balance was insufficient, a 100% promo meant I could grab the rest for roughly Ł40. Better still, I could grab a Ł170 garden view room for the same rate.

On foot, it’s fifteen minutes from the station to the Doubletree, provided you know where you’re going, aren’t taking photos, and are efficient at disengaging from the approaches of beggars. In my case, a combination of those factors added another five – but a bit more exercise is no problem after a couple of days of mostly sedentary life.

Having already selected a room, check-in just involved collecting the key, a wifi code (good for precisely 24 hours), and a warm cookie. In the room, I find that my silver status is good for a couple of complementary bottles of water.

I discover that one of my guilty-pleasure US TV imports – American Ninja Warrior – is airing, so I catch the rest of that whilst crunching the numbers on the rail trip and nervously checking the priority queue for my flight the next day.

I sleep well, and in the morning am able to check out the garden view (and beyond):

I also make a rookie mistake for breakfast, mostly out of laziness – rather than venture out, I check the website menu for the attached restaurant – Justice – and find a few promising choices at sensible enough prices. When I get there, I discover the site is out of date and it’s purely a buffet option. Mistake one is imagining that I can ever eat my money’s worth at breakfast, and mistake two is failing to check what the bill would be. As a result, I end up paying $25 for a plate of food and a yoghurt… Fortunately I charged it to the room, and when I checked my Hilton account later in the UK I discovered that spend had triggered off a 5000 point bonus. Considering the value per point I got on this redemption, that seems a fairer trade!

Last edited by TheFlyingDoctor; Oct 20, 2019 at 1:58 pm Reason: migrate off imgur
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

LAX – LHR in Club World on an A380

BA0282
Dep LAX Los Angeles International (CA) Terminal B 15:35 30th June 2015 (local time)
Arr LHR Heathrow (London) Terminal 5 10:05 1st July 2015 (local time)
Seat: 10J Cabin: Club World
Operated by British Airways (Airbus A380 G-XLEA)
Ł166.65 Premium Standby

I didn’t attempt any sightseeing in LA, as the few options that appeal were far too remote by public transport. Instead I had a lazy morning before heading back to the station, just as remarkable a building in the sunshine:

Not all the station is so architecturally pleasing, but in a less exciting transit tunnel I’m nonetheless impressed to spot an exhibition of wet plate photography – Joyce Campbell’s Into the Ether . At the eastern end of those I also find a ticket machine –these will take cash for the $8 one-way bus ticket out to LAX (unlike the kiosk which is card only).

The bus bay offers no real respite from the relentless sunshine, but I get my bag tagged for (hopefully) the appropriate terminal building and take a seat.

Another passenger arrives who, by the mysterious small world effect, turns out to be a BA retiree, headed home the next day on staff travel but relocating to an airport hotel. Unfortunately, neither of us are able to offer advice to the other on the process, this being the first time I’d travelled standby, and the first time she’d done it longhaul, but at least I could share my optimism about the load factors.

When preparing for this trip I’d allowed myself a buffer of a few days to get home before returning to work, partly to combat jetlag, and partly to hedge against missing a flight. Non-rev travel offers very attractive pricing, but it’s on a seats available basis, and there’s also a priority system which as a new employee I’m right at the bottom of. Purchasing a premium standby ticket moves you up the list past anyone who didn’t, so this seemed wise even if it wouldn’t actually get me into a better seat. Given the loads, I was reasonably confident I would make it onto this afternoon’s flight, but if I didn’t, the evening one looked worse – which would mean 24 hours landside at LAX, and the bill for a last minute hotel room would eat into the savings on the flight somewhat.

So I’d imagined that this report might end with a dash of drama and tension, nervously waiting for the green light then attempting a sprint through security to a middle middle economy seat. But – boringly, but happily for me – some enquiries by the check-in staff got my bag checked in, and shortly after, me! Better still, the boarding pass I was handed placed me in 10J – a front row bulkhead seat in Club World. The aisle half of a window pair, but hey, you can’t have everything…

It’s not clear whether I was entitled to lounge access, but the OneWorld lounge was happy to accept me. That turned out to be both spacious and near-deserted, with hot meals available, so a very comfortable place to pass the next couple of hours.

Oneworld Lounge, LAX Tom Bradley International Terminal

I’ve explored an A380 in the hangar, but this is my first time travelling on one, so I leave the lounge 45 minutes ahead of departure in the hope of some photos. However, as I arrive at the gate they’re explaining the boarding procedures, and by 3 I’m in my seat!

Boarding and Club World Cabin

My opposite number in 10k – the window seat – is also on staff travel, but they decide to move to be with other crew. As a result, when I ask that the window blind be raised so I can enjoy the view, it’s suggested that I simply take the seat! So this has worked out about as well as it can do. I really like the privacy of the rear-facing window seats, and on this occasion there’s no-one in 11J for me to need to step over to get back to the aisle. Nor does anyone take my previous 10J for a staring match through the dividing screen, so I have my own little bubble for the long flight home.

10K privacy and leg-room

Doors armed and cross checked at 15:35, but it’s not til 4pm that we rev up for take off- it feels impossibly slow down the runway, and indeed in the air. But as a consequence its very smooth – and my direct view of the engines means I get to check out the incredible wing flex. A warm towel, drink and nuts (almond/cashew mix) are all delivered before we punch through the clouds and the seatbelt sign goes off.

On staff travel we are expected to decline extras like the amenity kit, and to get last choice of the meal options. Fortunately I was able to order what I wanted – no starter or salad, the salmon main, and a chocolate-raspberry dessert. Unfortunately I did that before shifting seats, and as there was also a salmon starter, there was no end of confusion when it came to service at 16:45. Still, I got what I wanted, albeit with the salad too…

Seared fillet of Scottish salmon with wild rice, baby squash and ratatouille coulis.

Chocolate raspberry Mogador

The fish itself was quite dry, although that was partly rescued by the sauce and veggies. The dessert was excellent, though. Dining occupies most of an hour, and when I return from a bathroom break my tray has been cleared. Walking through the cabin I’ve realised mine is almost the only unshuttered window, so I drop the blind, raise the divider screen and settle deeper into my cocoon for a film.

Later I struggle to sleep, although not for any fault in the environment – easily the smoothest ride of the trip, with rarely any sense of motion at all, nor ear pressure issues. Cabin lights come up at 00:30 for a breakfast that highlighted how crew can make or break the service experience- “do you want something” is not the best way to offer a bacon roll, and a rushed 25 minutes later my tray was wordlessly requested with a hand gesture, even though I was still working through a pastry and had some smoothie left. In a cabin with capacity for 100 passengers I don’t expect the personal touches of the BA1 or Cathay experiences earlier in the trip, but the other crew I encountered on this flight were friendly enough, so I don’t know what was up with this particular individual.

Still, some combination of fruit, bacon and sunlight prepare me for what I must now grudgingly think of as late morning – I’m certainly glad to be out of the office for another five days! 40 minutes out from arrival time we get a flight deck announcement warning us that it’s 20 minutes before the seatbelt sign will reappear; there’s also another hot towel run before we’re down with a thud at 10:06. England looks just as sunbaked as California, and it turns out that a record high temperature will be marked at Heathrow that day. It only takes us ten minutes to reach a gate, but another thirty to get through the maze of Terminal 5 and immigration. My bag was conveniently already doing laps of the luggage belt, and my notes cheerfully record that I left the airport at 10:50 and boarded a bus for the short ride home at 10:51.

~
And that, jetlag aside, was it! I consider my efforts to be reports rather than reviews, but in this case it would be hopeless to try and pick out a highlight. The plan had been to clear out some of my travel bucket list, but instead I think it’s just got longer… I can only hope that this writeup has offered some inspiration to some of you, too, and if you’ve stuck out the whole 15,000 words – thanks! Comments and corrections are, as always, welcome.

Last edited by TheFlyingDoctor; Oct 20, 2019 at 2:04 pm Reason: migrate off flickr / imgur
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:46 pm

Thank you for great writing, pictures, and commentary.

I was especially interested in the Coastal Starlight portion. We were supposed to do it as LA-San Francisco in 2008 on our way from Washington-Chicago-LA-San Francisco, but train delays caused us to miss the Coastal Starlight connection in LA so we flew the rest -- having to be in San Francisco for our wedding the next day.

Now you've peaked our interest in doing that train trip.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:43 pm

Really good report and amazing pictures.

Thank you for sharing.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP: Amazing report. I am very impressed with your photos, descriptions and details. Wow! ^^

On a sidenote, I am floored at how old and outdated those Amtrak trains are

The saloon car with the blue chairs and carpeting and the cabins with those seats. It honestly looks like you shot that photo in circa '82. How come Amtrak can't modernize their trains and get up to speed with the European trains? I felt like I was looking at photos of the set from Knots Landing
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MattS1974
It is always interesting to see the Pacific Northwest through others eyes. Thanks for the trip report and can't wait for the rest of it.
Originally Posted by davidvc
Great report! Looking forward to the rest. Having lived in Seattle for a while, it's neat to see an outsider's perspective.
Originally Posted by kyden
I was born and raised in Vancouver and have never taken the Amtrak train to Seattle. Love your photos. Amtrak appears to be of a higher class than VIA rail, which I have taken across Canada. Thanks for sharing. I want to take a train trip soon.
Thanks all! Always good to offer a fresh set of eyes on someone's home turf - some of the reports I enjoy the most are those telling me about places I thought I knew well.

Seattle was actually the first US city I visited, and I regret not having time on this trip for a proper return - I didn't realise until I walked up from the station how close I was to familiar parts of the city. Given how much I enjoyed the train journey (definitely an improvement on VIA!) - and Vancouver, which I was seeing for the first time - I hope to revisit both, perhaps in the winter for seasonal contrast.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
A wonderful report, Doc - as nice a travelogue on Amtrak as I have read in a good long while. Be it photography or your fine prose, this report is totally First Class. ^^

BTW, next week I will be embarking on an 11 day repeat of my spring itinerary -

Chicago to Portland: Empire Builder
Portland to Los Angeles: Coast Starlight
Los Angeles to New Orleans: Sunset Limited
New Orleans to Chicago: City of New Orleans
Chicago to Los Angeles: Southwest Chief
Los Angeles to Eugene: Coast Starlight
Eugene to Seattle: Cascades

I look forward to a return to the Pacific Parlour Car, not to mention crossing the Rockies and Cascades in the winter.
I mentioned that first glimpse of a Pacific Surfliner as planting the seed of the idea of exploring the US by train:

Santa Fe Depot

but the nourishment of that seed definitely came from your (and CMK10's) reports here on flyertalk! I've also shamelessly borrowed from your techniques, making sure to keep notes as I go, and assemble the full report before the push to post. Although, I also note that we both ran into quite the delay this year... I've been working through your latest on my commutes (the non-cycling ones), and they're made all the better now that they evoke memories of this trip, and teach me things I didn't know at the time! I'll definitely be back on Amtrak, and indeed hope to see some winter scenery some day.

Last edited by TheFlyingDoctor; Oct 20, 2019 at 2:05 pm Reason: migrate off flickr
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - what a beautiful trip report.

Its difficult to take photographs from a train. Somehow, you've nailed it beautifully.

You've almost got my house there in your photographs from White Rock at the start of your trip in Canada. It was probably me waving at you on one of the days that I've been down there and seen the evening service crawl by.

It's worth mentioning the other train tour in town (Vancouver). The Rocky Mountaineer Rail Tour. They are continuously advertising this in the local major newspapers for local residents - much more than cruise ships that visit Vancouver. Although starting about $2,000, it's at a slightly higher price point.

I have not done either Amtrak Cascades or Rocky Mountaineer but I've always been intrigued by the Rocky Mountaineer cars as they crawl through Whistler in the summer when i'm often at the lake.

For me, the trick to photography is forgiving equipment, then shooting in volume You only see the best of an often rough bunch, with a lot of editing - cropping can do wonders for a partially blurred train shot, and I am seemingly incapable of getting a straight horizon the first time round. I wish I had had more opportunities to work through an open window, but I'm glad people are enjoying what I produced anyway!

Actually, my one moment of internet fame was from a shot from a moving train, technically a video but rather photo-like in effect:

White Rock seemed like a happy place. The interaction with passers-by definitely set me in a positive mood for the trip!

The Rocky Mountaineer is a definite bucket list item - my first trip to Canada was to Banff and Lake Louise, and it would be a fine way to re-experience them. Although prices advertised here tend to be rather higher, so it might have to wait for a special occasion.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
OP: Amazing report. I am very impressed with your photos, descriptions and details. Wow! ^^

On a sidenote, I am floored at how old and outdated those Amtrak trains are

The saloon car with the blue chairs and carpeting and the cabins with those seats. It honestly looks like you shot that photo in circa '82. How come Amtrak can't modernize their trains and get up to speed with the European trains? I felt like I was looking at photos of the set from Knots Landing
I think it's ok for the Parlour car to look old fashioned, so long as it's not in disrepair; but I wouldn't mind if the roomettes were a bit more in line with the airline seats I sampled That said, I've taken plenty of 200mph European trains this year, but none of them were as memorable as this experience!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Originally Posted by milesinthemiddleeast
Really good report and amazing pictures.
Originally Posted by Glensea
Thank you for great writing, pictures, and commentary.
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Absolutely stunning pics. Very nice!
Originally Posted by davidvc
What excellent pictures! They show off some of America at its best. Looks like a great trip.
Thanks everyone! I've now grouped together all the shots I used here or in the blog version that I deemed good enough for flickr into a single album, which can be found here (233 images).
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Excellent report! I love train journeys; sometimes 'go-slow' can be the best way to travel. Also great read on the 318 service. Thanks for taking the time to write and share.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Nice report. I took the CS last year in reverse. It looks like lamb in the PPC still has not changed.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: AC 75K
Wow, amazing photographs of your journey! Loved the train reports as well. I always see them going by up here and have always wondered what it's like to experience the scenic (albeit fairly lengthy) ride from here to Seattle, and even further South down to L.A.

Glad you enjoyed Vancouver!!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Thanks for the fantastic trip report!

It was of particular interest to me as I'm off to Vancouver and Seattle later this year (2 X BA F redemptions) and we are planning on taking the Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle.
Having read your report I can't wait for September to come around!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SaraJH
Thanks for the fantastic trip report!

It was of particular interest to me as I'm off to Vancouver and Seattle later this year (2 X BA F redemptions) and we are planning on taking the Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle.
Having read your report I can't wait for September to come around!
Always glad to offer the chance for reminiscence, or to build anticipation for upcoming adventures! I'm not sure how seat assignment works on the train but nothing to lose by asking at the ticket check if you can be on the coastal side (right hand when facing direction of travel for Vancouver - Seattle). I hope you have a great time in BA F too - I think we'll be serving Vancouver with an A380 this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.