Search

BA A380 Los Angeles to London CLUB WORLD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:22 pm
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
BA A380 Los Angeles to London CLUB WORLD

This is a trip report on the BA A380 Club world flight we took in December 2015.

Please find below a video trip report and then the traditional trip report

12th December 2015
British Airways Flight 268
Depart : Los Angeles (LAX)
Arrive : London (LHR)
Departure time : 8:55pm (Actual 9:11pm)
Arrival Time : 2:44pm (Actual 2:54pm)
Airbus A380-800
Seat : 10A
Flight Time 9h 42m
Meal Service : Dinner & Breakfast

I had made this booking during the BA sale where they offered round trip tickets to europe in business class for $2000, I then used the AARP discount and a certain amount of BA Miles to bring the cost down to just $800 per person.

From taking this trip and crediting the miles to AA, we would each earn just over 42,000 miles for flying LAX - LHR - JFK, a great way to collect some extra miles.

We arrived at LAX tom Bradley terminal about 3 hours before our flight was ready to depart and proceeded to the check in line, we must have been the first there as all the lines were clear

Check in was very quick and we then proceeded to the security line, with a fast track pass it took around 10 minutes in total to clear the security line, which was pretty speedy for the time of year.

Tom Bradley has had some major upgrades recently and it is really nice to finally be in a terminal you want to spend some time in.

We then proceeded upstairs to the LAX business class lounge which is shared with Qantas and Cathay Pacific.

The lounge was pretty big and had a lot of space, the atmosphere in the lounge was nice, and we departed a bit earlier than the later flights to Australia which made the lounge only about 25 % full the time we were there.

I took a wonder around the lounge before finding somewhere to sit

After finding somewhere to sit, I grabbed some food and a glass of champagne, the food selection was pretty good , if you compare it to the business class lounge at LHR.

I decided to try the butter chicken, and it tasted good, despite how it looked

After some good time in the lounge and a few glasses of champagne and wine, it was time to board, we went downstairs to our gate. The gate we were leaving from today was about a 1 minute walk, out from the lounge, down the escalator and we had reached the gate.

Boarding was called right on time, with first class passengers , followed by our club world section

This was my first time flying on the British Airways A380 and the first thing I noticed was how large the cabin was, it was much bigger than any 747 cabin I had ever been in, I settled into my seat and snapped some pics

I noticed how far away the window seat was from the window due the to curve of the airframe, I also noticed the large windows, though they are deceptive as the inside window is large, but the outer window is the usual size

The one thing I do like about the A380 is that it does have the new entertainment system installed and the screen is a lot more clear and the media content is overall an improvement.

I then checked out the amenity kit and it was the norm,

Boarding was then completed and we pushed back and taxied to the runway.
It was a clear night in Los Angeles and after the massive take off roll we took towards the friendly skies with a smooth take off

Shortly after take off the crew came by to offer us another drink, I had already had a pre departure glass of champagne, so i figured a 7th glass would make the trip a bit more fun

The dinner service then began,

To start I had the smoked Salmon crepe with chive cream cheese

And for my main I went for the Five cheese Ravioli, which was pretty good, but got fairly dry as I worked my way through it

And I finished dinner with the cherry and almond slice,

I then decided to relax and try and get some sleep for a few hours

I honestly can't really sleep on planes and just kept my eye on the moving map as we crossed over the states and onward,

Soon, sometime over Iceland, about 6 hours into the flight, the sun started to rise and I watched it from my window for a bit

I then closed my window shade to not disturb anyone in the cabin.
With about one hour and thirty minutes remaining in the flight, the cabin lights started to come on and I opened my window shade and the breakfast service began

Breakfast was ok..

And I went with the full English

We then stared our approach into England and the cabin crew had been instructed that we had to circle for about 25 minutes and there was no rush.
About 1 minute after that announcement by the captain, he came back on and said we had been priority cleared and we would be landing in less than 10 minutes.

The crew went into over drive and tried to clean the cabin as quickly as possible, they must have been working and cleaning until we touched down

We touched down nice and smooth and the wale of sky had been a very smooth ride

We then cleared customs and went to the sofitel at terminal 5 to get some sleep before heading to Bristol

Overall it had been a great flight, The A380 is so smooth in turbulence that it will definitely be my future choice when flying long haul , I can understand from a passenger point of view that it is a great plane, but I can see that airlines won't like them and would want to pack more passengers into them
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:06 am

Great Trip Report. I also enjoyed the accompaning video.^
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Blue :(
Great Read, Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:33 pm

Excellent report: not too verbose, just right.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for sharing the first part of your TR, and glad you enjoyed your flight. The lounge looked awfully dark, or was it just the way the pics were taken.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Nice report with some interesting photos, thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:11 pm
formerly southsidesilver
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Thanks for sharing the first part of your TR, and glad you enjoyed your flight. The lounge looked awfully dark, or was it just the way the pics were taken
I would honestly say it was a bit of both, the lounge was fairly dark inside compared to other lounges I have seen.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Nice TR, miss the LA sunshine and never flown on the 380, will do soon.

Thx!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Awesome stuff! I love the stone/marble tables at the LAX lounge.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Le Blue
Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Great trip report and really cool sneakers you're wearing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.