Christmas in New Zealand via Qantas and Singapore A380 First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Wonderful start sir! I love those places, they bring me back great memories. Make sure to head to Fergburger when in Queenstown!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Qantas must win the prize for having the ugliest cutlery in both their lounges and on board!

Great trip report SFO777
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Looks fantastic.
Now that you already took the helicopter I don't think there is any harm in mentioning that a few months ago there was an awful accident of a tourist plane or helicopter on the Fox Glacier; many British tourists were on board.
Looks a bit like Norway (have never been) and Switzerland.
Thanks Bretteee. Didn't know about the accident. Our helicopter trip was amazing and our pilot Alfie very experienced. He mostly does film work and did the aerial shoots for all the Lord of the Rings movies.

Originally Posted by SPBanker
They do look very strange... Were they OK to use?
BTW, stellar TR, as usual.
Thank you SPBanker. The were fine once you got used to them.

Originally Posted by jlemon
Another excellent TR from SFO777!
And I must say the cabin in QF first on the A380 looks to be a bit utilitarian! Glad to know the suites were spacious and comfortable.
Very much looking forward to the rest of your report!
Happy Holidays to you and Mrs. SFO777!
Thanks so muchjlemon. Happy holidays to you as well.

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Disappointing...QF F does not look as great as before...also sad to see you are missing the best parts of NZ! It is a great country and there are so many amazing parts that you are missing. Hopefully I am wrong and you are hiding some hidden gems!
Not sure what you mean by "missing the best parts of NZ"?

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Glad to see this, hope you have a fantastic time. Fergburger! Boston creme donuts at Fergbaker as well, so good. Hope you're close to downtown and not stuck out at one of the Hilton locations .
And sorry you had to deal with those ....ing bogans on SYD-ZQN, you should have told barefoot guy that he was on the wrong flight, this was to Queenstown, not Bali .
Also, FWIW, I've eaten meals served on those trays at least a dozen times now, and I've yet to have anything come up at the doctor from it .
Thanks BOSman. We wanted to go to Fergburger but every time we drove or walked by, the line was 50-100 deep down the street.

Originally Posted by sammyindc
Was in Queenstown last month. Absolutely amazing!! Probably one of the most beautiful places on earth. I highly recommend doing a tour of Millford Sounds and taking a small plane/helicopter ride back which looks like you might have done from your teaser pictures.
Thank you sammyindc. Agree with you that this is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Wonderful start sir! I love those places, they bring me back great memories. Make sure to head to Fergburger when in Queenstown!
Thanks very much themapelligroup. We'll keep trying. Fergburger is open 22 hours a day and closed only for cleaning, 6a-8a daily.

Originally Posted by headingwest
Qantas must win the prize for having the ugliest cutlery in both their lounges and on board!
Great trip report SFO777
Thank you headingwest. They were ugly 10 years ago and are still ugly today.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
After the long way from the plane to transit security and up to departures, we arrived at the beautiful Qantas First Class Lounge, one of the best in the world.

The impressive living plant wall.

Great plane watching and one of the best city skyline views from any lounge.

Time for breakfast.

My Croque Monsieur was delicious.

At around T-50, we headed out thru the construction to find Gate 63 and our flight to Queenstown.

Qantas 121
Sydney SYD - Queenstown ZQN
737-800
9:30a-2:30p
December 25, 2015
Lunch
Departed 12/12
Seats 1AC

Dated and reasonably comfortable cabin, although I wouldn't want to fly a lot on this plane. I chose the bulkhead based on recommendation from the QF forum and it was fine. Any one taller than 6' would probably have an issue.

One of our FAs decked out for Christmas.

PDB in real glass.

Today's menu.

More of the Business Cabin.

After take-off, drinks and a tasty pretzel/Brazil nut mix.

While Mrs. SFO declined lunch, of course I did not... mostly for the photo op. OK, where is the tray liner? Yeah, I'm sure that this reusable tray is clean.

I hope this try is clean. OMG, can we use any bigger utensils. The filled half of the tray.

For my main, I went with the Prawn and Soba noodle salad which was really good, assuming I didn't contract a disease from my utensils on the tray.

Yikes, not sure barefoot to the lav is the best idea.

And ice cream for dessert.

Beginning our descent to Queenstown and our first glimpses of beautiful New Zealand.

No jet bridges at ZQN so we disembarked by stairs and headed for the terminal trying to beat pax from the MEL-ZQN NZ flight.

Fortunately, the international arrivals areas is void of direction signs and dozens of NZ pax were standing around cluelessly as we walked thru the strangely located duty-free shop on our way to customs. We were thru in no time but had to wait 15 minutes for bags to be delivered as apparently there is only one ground crew working today. And amazingly, Mrs. SFO's bag popped out on the carousel, with a complete new baggage tag from the one attached in DEN.

Up next: More incredible scenery of breathtaking Milford Sound and the South Island.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

I know it doesn't make sense as a time to eat a burger, but go before 10:30AM and there won't be much of a line at Fergburger. They're good but not so amazing as to be worth waiting through a 50-100 person line.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I know it doesn't make sense as a time to eat a burger, but go before 10:30AM and there won't be much of a line at Fergburger. They're good but not so amazing as to be worth waiting through a 50-100 person line.
The trick on avoiding the FergBurger line is to call in your order and go to the pickup window. It is an awesome burger!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by billyliu
The trick on avoiding the FergBurger line is to call in your order and go to the pickup window. It is an awesome burger!
I always forgot to do that .
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks offerendum. I know you prefer Air Berlin Y.
Of course! Booked it today On a short trip it´s still my favourite
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Excellent and detailed report as always SFO777. I admittedly actually found my way here from your post in the AA forum's DFW premium dining thread. I just assumed there must be one of your infamous TRs detailing the rest of that trip, and luckily I was right.

QF F looks pretty solid as usual. It's too bad they don't use a full dinner menu ex-DFW though. Of course as usual they also use that chintzy cutlery too, it really is pathetic looking and would be a pretty simple thing to update for the intercontinental F cabin. It's of course not the best F product out there, but still pretty solid for a TPAC. I love the Christmas cracker they put at the top of the menu in the lounge, very classy! QF's SYD F lounge looks gorgeous as always. NZ looks quite nice, can't wait to see more! Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas down under, and best wishes for 2016!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Another excellent TR as always expected!

I've been through ZQN a good number of times. I'm impressed that they can land a 737-800 there. Have they extended the runway? My first trip was there on an HS-748 via Mt. Cook, and then I flew on to TEU on a Twin Otter the next day to start the Milford Track.

BTW, are those lake pictures up at Lake Quill?

Enjoy the trip!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - Hat's off to you for being so committed to the forum by live posting your travels in the middle of Christmas break!!

The trip looks fabulous so far and I've been longing to get back to Queenstown with MrsWT73. Wishing you safe travels and a prosperous 2016.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Isn't the QF F cutlery the Marc Newson designed stuff?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Enjoying this SFO777 looking forward to the next installment. I have to say that was an impressive looking cappuccino ^
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Wonderful report thus far SFO777. What a great way to spend a portion of my holiday time. ^
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
'We touched down at around 6:15a on Christmas morning and pulled into our gate a few minutes later... more than 17 hours after we boarded in DFW. But it sure didn't seem that long. Between the great crew, light load and a very nice hard product, this was a wonderful flight. Can't imagine why anyone would fly any other airline from North America to Australia. Bravo Qantas.'
2 words: AA/(UA) SWU
(though clearing these flights must be very difficult, and, personally, I can't comment, as all of my travel down under has been from SIN/HKG.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.