If It’s Included, Why Not Fly it? (EK 388 J) Mini-Trip Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

Introduction

Back in October, both Papa SHF and I had to find a way coming back to HKG after an European trip.
And what obvious choice then ex-Scandinavia with its very affordable Business Class fares.
Everyone is equal right

The only goal I had in mind, how to finish off the AS MVP 75K status I had initially matched back in May.

Seriously SHF have flown like an Energizer Bunny in 2015
AA EXP (Checked)
A3 Gold (Checked)
and now going for AS MVP 75K via the 90K partner elite qualification.

So with AS, I was looking at either AF, BA, CX, EK, KE or KL.
TK was my price winner but I didn’t need Star miles so CX and EK were my next best choice.
And CX decided to block this fare in Oct ex-Scandinavia, don’t know why so EK it is.
Weirdly this was my first time actually flying EK, well the Oct portion anyway.

And in better news, somehow EK prices ARN – BKK and ARN – HKG at the same price and the BKK fares allows double HKG stopover + double DXB stopover .

Let’s just say I’m not gonna give up an opportunity to fly to BKK on a weekend trip even if it’s for some massages.

Wonder how many Farangs I’ll see this weekend

Route Map

Flights (2 Flights, 2096 Miles)

All Flights Flown
Emirates 385 – Hong Kong to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (Business Class)
Emirates 384 – Bangkok Suvarnabhumi to Hong Kong (Business Class)

Trip Parts
Part 1 – Yet more Papa-Sit time onboard the Emirates Airbus 380 Business Class HKG - BKK
Part 2 – Suites at the Grand Hyatt Bangkok actually exist for Diamond Members?
Part 3 – A Newer Emirates Airbus 380-800 Business Seat? BKK – HKG

Links to Other Written Trip Reports
Click Here for Other Trip Reports

#HelloTomorrow ^

And Enjoy Everybody

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 6, 2015 at 8:40 am Reason: All Completed :)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 1 – Yet more Papa-Sit time onboard the Emirates Airbus 380 Business Class HKG - BKK

Ok so I figured out how Papa SHF and I are getting down to Bangkok.
Well where does Mama SHF comes in the equation too, the 2 boys off to Bangkok alone would be way too suspicious to say the least even if I wasn’t in the Caucasian, Over 60 y.o or/and Divorced/Never Married Category.

Luckily, with all the recent repo of great MH ex-BKK fares and relatively affordable HKG – BKK on HX.
My premium travel issues were more then solved for 2015
And yes, that HX were it’s basically Hainan Airlines operating with an HKG base.
That is how Mama SHF is going to get to BKK.

Nov 27, 2015 – Friday
EK 385 HKG – BKK 9:15pm – 11:15pm (388/J)

Seriously I swear it’s always a travel day when you are buried with work in the home office.
Today was no different especially since Mama SHF was taking the HX flight at 5pm.
And like most ladies in her age group, she didn’t want to be the one lifting the carryon into the overhead. Ah…

Thus, her solution. @:-)
Everyone is to leave at 1pm, that includes Papa and I leaving on the 9:15pm EK flight.
At least I gave her a 4 hr headstart on the usually delayed HX flight LOL
HX probably has the worst fleet reliability around due to their love of Mainland Chinese flight and everything bad associated with Mainland China’s ATC.

Thank God for Lounge access so at least I can finish my day’s work.

Finally getting to HKG around 2:30pm, that’s a whopping 6 hr 45 mins before departure, FML…
What am I doing here so early…

Firstly, settling Mama’s check-in at HX which landed 3 surprises.
1) Mama’s HX BKK flight got an actual gate and a good one at Gate 24.
I swear every time I have to fly them, it’s always a bus gate
2) Not such a good surprise, she got an equipment swapped from the 18J 1-2-1 Staggered Full Flat 332s to the 2-2-2- 24J Slanted Flat Version
3) Like Hong Kong Airlines big Brother Hainan, you’re bound to get an ignorant Mainlander or Two.
In this case, it was one trying to use J check-in as a Y pax. I swear shame is not in the Mandarin dictionary.
There actually is a reason why HKGer have called them Locust or/and 大媽
, there’s no literal translation of the latter, a good definition would be “Ignorant Mainland Housewives”

Emirates Business Class Check-In

As for Papa and I, obviously I did OLCI ahead of time since most people don’t show up for their flights 6:45 prior.
Luckily the agent was able to print out a card stock at the counter, but not without Papa’s own ignorant reaction right at the counter.
“8:15pm!!! WHAT”
Naturally my reaction is, Dad, manners!

I swear my old man has very early on-set of Old Man syndrome! AHH!
And obviously like a 5 y.o, I have to careful pulled him aside afterwards and explain; and double reminded him I already told him this info yesterday.

And taking about a 10 min to go through security and immigration, we were soon airside and firstly to drop off Mama at the Hong Kong Airlines lounge at Gate 23.
But not before, she took out her jammies and toiletries and put it in a foldable tote bag then dropped the Rollaboard at Papa and said
“You can take this to Bangkok, I’ll just take the Tote Bag”
ROFLMAO

Another 10 min walk got us to the Emirates Lounge at Gate 40.

HKG Emirates Lounge

Part 1 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 4, 2015 at 9:16 am
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Mini Service Bar

Dining Section

Hot Choices

*Have to admit, hard to make Chinese food and be Halal
I swear one way or another, there’s always Pork

Soup and Bread

*Tomato and Lentil Soup was decent

Cold Service Bar

Drinks

Office Zone

*Sadly was also the quiet zone so I actually did most of my work elsewhere since I needed to make periodic phone calls

Shower

Thoughts about the Emirates Hong Kong Lounge, wow its location takes me way back to when it was a Japan Airlines lounge.
That was like what? 2008?
How Time Flies?

As an Outport lounge, overall B grade for sure.
Seating – Airy like most HKG lounge and enough capacity to support each 388s flights
Food - Decent food and alcohol selection. Food is so-so for the hot items but good on the cold items, the quality on the cold is noticeable for sure.
Internet – I was seated near the edge of the lounge and was getting stronger signals from the free airport wifi and the CX lounge below EKs.
Power Outlets – Nowhere near enough, most people had yanked out the power outlets of the lamps to use for their electronic devices
Showers – Great to see at Outports

Only bad thing, they closed down for about 45 minutes between the flights for clean-up and every customer is kicked out.
And what’s even worse, the lounge attendants, check-in counter agents, cleaners, and the front door sign all gave different times of operation.
So a little bit annoying when you don’t know when to pack up exactly.

The actual closing time was 5:25-6:15pm but we were more than kicked out by 5:20pm so off to the Starbucks at Gate 44 to burn off the spare time.

Luckily I was back right at 6:15pm to get all the wonderful photos you see above and a shower and proceeded to get more work done.
Meanwhile, Papa was more than impatient then get to the boarding gate at 8pm for a 9:15pm flight.

Dad, let me finish these emails before I leave.
I swear just 5 years ago, I was saying to same to him

Around 8:05pm we left for Gate 60 for tonights EK 385 departure, Dad hurry up. ^

Those Mainlander tour groups with their flag waving tour guide is right behind us.
I don’t want to get run over, literally like in SYD earlier in Nov.
Thank god for the 388s, different levels, different jet bridges

Emirates Airbus 380-800 “A6-EEA”

*1st flight of the Trip, 1048 Miles Flown
Emirates 385
Hong Kong to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, Continuing Service to Dubai International
Scheduled - 9:15pm – 11:15pm, 3 hr flight
Actual Departure – 9:03pm
On-Time Arrival – 11:03pm
Business Class, Seat 9A
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Airbus 380-800 (14F/76J/427Y) 3 Class Non-ULR Version “38M”

Part 1 Continues Below
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Emirates Airbus 380-800 Older Business Class Cabin

*Some are stock photos from Oct

Emirates Airbus 380-800 Older Business Class Seat

Full Flat Mode

*Biggest annoyance of the older seat, the spot near your ankle tends to pop up ever slightly like a road bump

IFE Control, Remote and Power Plug

*Seriously where am I supposed to put my phone if I want it charge?
The newer version fixed this problem!

Side Cabinet

The Emirates Tablet

*Not sure what to call that thing but at least its not as in the way as in the 77Ws

Airbus 380-800 Side Cabinets

Push-Out Table

*The New Version fixed where the table comes out.
Otherwise you might need to be Bleemic for the table to come out

Pre-Departure Beverage, Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial

Part 1 Continues Below
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Hot Towel prior to Departure

2 Hours 25 Minutes Flight Time to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi tonight

Door were closed ahead of schedule at 9:03pm and pushed back at 9:10pm

And after a long 25 min taxi to Runway 7R, we were off at 9:35pm for BKK

This is a reason why I’m not the biggest fan of the 380, very hard to take photos

Emirates “ICE” Information, Communications, Entertainment System

I will say this, especially after a couple CX flight in the last 30 days and seeing how much cost-cutting CX is doing.
It’s refreshing to fly on carrier like EK.

This was November 2015’s selections

They even have Family Guy and Izombie, both of which I like to see on my flights
And most importantly, enough Top 40 to keep me upbeat onboard the flight!

Thailand Entry Forms and Premium Pass were handed prior to departure, the FAs were definitely noting who was leaving and who is continuing to Dubai.

Time for a quick stroll to the back in the back, no I’m not the FTer alcoholic here

Hmm, it’s not set up yet

And sometimes you wonder how far can Family Guy can take it sometimes.

*There’s another bombing in Syria today, Live from Al Jarreau Jazeera

*I rather kill people then millions playing football

Part 1 Continues Below
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Emirates Business Class Dining Menu
[/url]

EK 385 HKG-BKK Dinner

Appetizer
Seasonal Fruit
An Assortment of Fresh Cut Fruits

Main Course
Steamed Ling Fillet
With Steamed Rice and Stir-Fried Vegetables on Soy Sauce

Roast Chicken
Served with Fried Egg Noodles, Sauteed Vegetables and Chilli Plum Sauce

Rack of Lamb
With Tomato and Olive Sauce, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Ratatouille

Freshly Baked Bread

Dessert
Chocolate Orange Mousse Cake
Served with Berries

Hot Drinks
Tea
Chamomile, Ceylon, Earl Grey or Green Tea

Coffee
Freshly Brewed, Espresso, Cappuccino or Decaffeinated

Snacks
Instant Cup Noodles
Available at any time

Linens, something American Airlines keep forgetting lately!

Tray Service Dinner

Appetizer, Seasonal Fruit, An Assortment of Fresh Cut Fruits

Main Course #1, Rack of Lamb With Tomato and Olive Sauce, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Ratatouille

Galley Gal did a great job with the Lamb tonight

Main Course #2, Roast Chicken Served with Fried Egg Noodles, Sauteed Vegetables and Chilli Plum Sauce

*Chicken was a bit meh. Probably would’ve gone better with rice rather than noodles

Dessert, Chocolate Orange Mousse Cake served with Berries

Dinner was finished in 1 Hour 10 Minutes after take-off on this relatively full cabin tonight

Cabin was dimmed for the rest of the flight while about a couple of people mingle at the bar.
I’m surprised they set up, and catered everything for a 2 ½ hr flight.
Impressive! ^

And around 10:30pm BKK time, the captain came back to notify an 11pm landing time into Bangkok

Hot Towels were handed out prior to arrival

and EK 385 made a turn towards the Gulf of Thailand before coming back to land on Runway 1L at 11:00pm exact.

We’re Here!

A quick 3 minute taxi and we were parked at Gate E8.

Sadly even with an 11pm arrival, I didn’t want to test with the Airport Rail Link with Papa, or as I would say in HKG with its hottest 2015 slang.

Papa lately is demonstrating his “Wait for Uncle Fat/等埋發叔” characteristic by being the slowpoke and creating unforeseen consequence.

This is probably one of the better explanations out there to refresh one’s memories.
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...ong-kong-vote/

Except today, Papa was passing people on the jetbridge?
Guess you see new things every day!
And we’re at E8 so that’s a good 500 meters walking to immigration
Luckily was completely empty so those Premium Pass can be saved for another rainy day.

Time for Massages

Next Part
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Another classic in the making, was hoping for the next ShF! Great job!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:11 pm

FT is pretty funny. There are people like you and then there are people that think if you don't get to the lounge 12 hours ahead, you're doing something wrong
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Ha. That just looks a little better than the FD DMK-HKG flight I took a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Another classic in the making, was hoping for the next ShF! Great job!
Jfkeze, I hope you mean hoping for the next ShF TR
Otherwise I don't know what you're hoping for

That said, thank you

Originally Posted by farbster
FT is pretty funny. There are people like you and then there are people that think if you don't get to the lounge 12 hours ahead, you're doing something wrong
farbster, I agree there are times for both.
And I do both as well, rush onto some of my flights or show up umpteen hours early.
Guess that depends on how is the said lounge.
I spent 6 hours in the QF SYD F lounge just in Oct, that wasn't the original plan but it was raining cats and dogs.

The EK HKG one wasn't one of them, but this wasn't one fight I wanted to pick with Mama SHF.

I have to cut her some slack considering she followed through my plan in becoming JL Emerald in 4 Months

Originally Posted by dat4life
Ha. That just looks a little better than the FD DMK-HKG flight I took a few weeks ago.
Bahaha dat4life.
It also cost more to fly EK too
I'm getting spoiled by HX J HKG-BKK, and MH ex-BKK Business class fare for this year.
An airline that knows to say Happy B-day to their client must've done something right. @:-)

As to Thai Air Asia, no thank you
Did Air Asia in Sep, been there done that.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

After a 30 minute taxi ride, we were at the curb of the Grand Hyatt Bangkok just after midnight.

Since Mama SHF already checked in hours ago, it was a quick trip to the check-in to pick up a room key.
Hopefully she is here, otherwise I’m calling the Police and contacting the Embassy!

I was assigned Room 1908 for this 3 night stay, and she seems to have found her way to the Grand Hyatt.

Grand Hyatt Bangkok

Geez is everyone getting married?

*I keep seeing this in hotels and 4 of my close friends are getting married in 2016.
Where’s that Tinder GF when you want one

Grand Club

Club Level

Expecting a regular room as always in Bangkok, it was a pleasant surprise to get an 80 sq meters Grand Executive Suite.

Grand Executive Suite King

Powder Room near the Front Door

Parlor Room

Part 2 Continues Below
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Bedroom

Walk-In Closet is shared with the Bathroom

Diamond Amenity?

According to Mama, I was complementary upgraded for the first night due to the hotel sold out.
Sadly, I was supposed to be downgraded for the 2nd and 3rd night.
Papa was happy with the room so his suggestion, “Tell to suck it and we’re keeping this room”.
Uh…
Dad, I’ll think of something…

Luckily I worked out with the Grand Club where I’ll burn a Suite Upgrade and keep the Grand Executive Suite.
Personally might as well use a Suite Upgrade since I rarely have long stays.
I specialize in One Night Stands for my stays
Doubly good is that Diamond Suite Upgrade only upgrades to the Grand Suite so I wouldn’t gotten the Grand Executive Suite in most cases regardless

The rest of the stay went also went hitch free except the maid brought fresh orchids to the suite, which with Mama SHF’s pollen allergy look like she contracted Avian Flu!

A quick note to the Grand Club concierge and the orchids were removed in less than 5 mins

As to the rest of Bangkok, since I never planned to making a TR in the first place.
I’m lacking in details that can be written.

But hey, between the amount of Pad Thai, Massages, Hot Weather, and the Farangs, I’m sure your imagination can dream of something

Just don’t imagine yours truly being that guy holding the hands of a 20 y.o Thai Girl though.
That’s definitely not me.

And for your entertainment, the Old Man’s Gaffe of the trip, Papa tried to ordered “Hainanese Chicken Rice” at a Thai eatery.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainanese_chicken_rice

Normally that’s hardly embarrassing since a Thai version of the item does exists

Except for that fact he tried to say it in Mandarin to a Thai Waiter
a. la “Hǎi Nán Jī Fàn”
OMG, just how bad can Old Man Syndrome be, AHH!!
Seriously how am I blood related to him sometimes?!?
Definitely tried to cover my face with the Dining Menu

And to steer your imagination elsewhere, here’s the Christmas decorations at Central World

Next Part
Part 3 – A Newer Emirates Airbus 380-800 Business Seat? BKK – HKG
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Bahaha dat4life.
It also cost more to fly EK too
I'm getting spoiled by HX J HKG-BKK, and MH ex-BKK Business class fare for this year.
An airline that knows to say Happy B-day to their client must've done something right. @:-)

As to Thai Air Asia, no thank you
Did Air Asia in Sep, been there done that.
dat4life, now I think about it?
Why would you fly Thai Air Asia on that route?
Everybody and their Grandmas flies that route.
CX is usually too expensive for my taste.
But this year alone I've done KQ, HX, MH and TG for my BKK-HKG
And years past, ET too.

Not to mention EK, UL and RJ are all on the market, some of which offer decent J prices due to 5th Freedom
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
dat4life, now I think about it?
Why would you fly Thai Air Asia on that route?
Everybody and their Grandmas flies that route.
CX is usually too expensive for my taste.
But this year alone I've done KQ, HX, MH and TG for my BKK-HKG
And years past, ET too.

Not to mention EK, UL and RJ are all on the market, some of which offer decent J prices due to 5th Freedom
I was visiting HK with a good buddy of mine, and we decided on a side trip to Bangkok at the last second. I had just enough Avios for the outbound. But EK, UL, and EJ were pretty expensive even in Economy at that point. Thai Air Asia, was just $45 a head with assigned seats and baggage. Truthfully, it really wasn't that bad, and I really can't complain about the price.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I had wondered what that EK lounge in HKG looked like....I've walked past it enough times Thanks for sharing ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.