Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Paris and Pittsburg. Texas that is. Visiting all 254 Texas county courthouses

Paris and Pittsburg. Texas that is. Visiting all 254 Texas county courthouses

Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:25 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was hoping the OP was doing the counties via private jet or at least flying in his own Cessna 172.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
You nutter HB. This sounds like a great treatment for a road buddy movie- sort of like sideways meets John Grisham (?!). Will look forward to following your trip of the coming months/ years- and your eating!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Looking forward to when you make it to Taylor County (Abilene). I lived there for a few years in the 90s. Glad I don't live there anymore. Though while you are there, hit up either Joe Allen's BBQ or Betty Roses BBQ. You won't be disappointed.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Oct 28, 2015
Distance driven: 225 miles
Counties visited: Lampasas, Mills, San Saba, Llano, Burnet (31/254)

It had been a couple of weeks since my last roadtrip and the weather was gorgeous today so I was jonesing get on the road again. I have a flex work schedule, so after finishing emails this morning I started driving north to Lampasas. Easy getting out of Austin on the 183A tollway. I was planning a loop northwest to Goldthwaite, then down through Llano (BBQ!) and Burnet before back to Austin. I'd been to Llano and Burnet several times before but never as far as Goldthwaite.

Lampasas, LAMPASAS County
Lampasas was a quick 1hr drive. The 1884 courthouse was very pretty with its red roof and clock tower. Lampasas is a decent sized town and a crossroads where US higways 183, 281 and 190 meet.

Goldthwaite, MILLS County
The drive to Goldthwaite was very pretty, through the hill country and the miles passed by quickly. I stopped at a gas station for some beef jerky and fill the tank. Mills county was a new county for me. The courthouse dates from 1913. More interesting was the tiny old jail located in one corner of the square.

San Saba, SAN SABA County
The drive to San Saba headed south down highway 16, passing by orchards of pecan trees. San Saba is known for its pecans and the actor Tommy Lee Jones was born here. I'd been to San Saba a few years previously when we went to the annual goat BBQ in Brady. The 1911 courthouse here was gorgeous red with white clock tower. It was under renovation and the upper porch with historical marker was blocked off. I went in the courthouse to see if I could get on that level, but the inside door to the patio was locked. I then went back outside and moved the barrier and snuck up the stairs for a quick picture. Outside the courthouse was a historical marker talking about the San Saba Mob.. a group of vigilantes operating in the 1850s.

I then stopped in a shop to buy some pecans. Started talking with the lady there who turned out to be a bit of a nutter. She started talking about how it mainly was old people that came by on bus tours, got stinking drunk at local wineries, and were falling down in the street with their walkers. She then went on to say the US was going to (physically) split in half down the Colorado river from an earthquake. Luckily the phone rang and I was able to escape...

Cooper BBQ, Llano

Llano, LLANO County
I've been through Llano many times before, even spent the night at a B&B once, but had never stopped at the courthouse. It was completed in 1893. Llano is a busy town, lots of hunting around here. There is also Coopers Pit BBQ, a famous joint. Stopped there for a very late lunch, no line! Old school place for sure. Brisket was very tender, but quite fatty. Sausage good as well.

Burnet, BURNET County
Last stop was Burnet. Again had been through here many times but never stopped in town. The courthouse here was kinda disappointing actually, it was a 'modern' building from 1937, praised at the time but I didn't find it very special. The old jail was across the corner. Burnet is the 'Bluebonnet capital of Texas', the state flower. In the spring the fields are full of the blue flowers. Burnet is also the terminus of the Hill Country flyer tourist train that runs out of Cedar Park most weekends.

Made it back to Austin in time to get some more work done and pick up miss hauteboy.

http://www.imgur.com/R7rLJbC.jpg

Last edited by hauteboy; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:42 am
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I've eaten at Coopers BBQ in Junction, TX when running the 10. Is cash an option to pay the toll on the 183A?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I've eaten at Coopers BBQ in Junction, TX when running the 10. Is cash an option to pay the toll on the 183A?
No, toll-tag or pay by mail only. And it's pretty expensive, evne with the toll tag it's like $5 to go 11 miles.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
This is great stuff. West Texas is when things will really start to get "exciting."
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by hauteboy
No, toll-tag or pay by mail only. And it's pretty expensive, evne with the toll tag it's like $5 to go 11 miles.
The toll roads here are really difficult on the pricing sometimes...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Nov 2, 2015
Distance driven: 130 miles
Counties visited: Travis, Hays, Comal, Guadalupe, Caldwell (36/254)

Shorter trip today... had a craving for BBQ for lunch!

Austin, TRAVIS County
Austin was the easiest to visit, considering I live here. The 'new' courthouse was built in 1930. The 1886 courthouse across from the Capitol was torn down to make a parking lot!

San Marcos, HAYS County
San Marcos is just a quick hop down IH35. I'd never been to the town square here. The town square was pretty busy here today. The courthouse was pretty similar to the one in Georgetown (same architect).

New Braunfels, COMAL County
A short drive down IH35 brought me to New Braunfels. Originally this area was settled by Germans and still has a lot of German influence. They hold an annual Wurst Fest, and the waterpark Schlitterbahn is here. My friends and I go tubing on the Comal river in town every now and then, it is the 'longest shortest river in the world'. It runs for 2.5 miles from the spring source to the Guadalupe river. The courthouse was built in 1898 by James Reily Gordon. You could see that he used similar styles in most of his courthouses!

Seguin, GUADALUPE County
Segin was just a quick hop from New Braunfels but I'd never been here before. Usually I'm going southwest to San Antonio or east to Houston, never had the reason to visit. The 1935 courthouse was undergoing renovation, with chainlink fence around it, so was difficult to get a good photo. In front of the courthouse was the 'largest pecan in the world'.

85 mph, woo!

Lockhart, CALDWELL County

From Seguin, I headed up TX130 toll road to Lockhart. This section has the fastest speed limit in the USA, 85 mph! Lockhart is the known as the BBQ capital of Texas, with 4 different BBQ places here. Kreuz (pronounced Krites), Smitty's Market, Black's and Chisolm Trail (my least favorite). I'm torn between Smittys and Blacks. I tend to prefer Smittys, but Blacks is more consistent and they have the widest variety of sides. The courthouse here is one of my favorites. Lockhart was one of the filming locations for Transformers 4.

Grabbed some 'cue from Smittys across the street from the courthouse before heading back to work. The brisket was good, but the sausage was pretty much a grease-filled balloon. Not impressed this time.

Last edited by hauteboy; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:43 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by hauteboy
If that's what is for a car I hate to think of what it would cost for a semi.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
If that's what is for a car I hate to think of what it would cost for a semi.
Pretty insane actually. I just looked up the actual tolls.
http://www.mobilityauthority.com/information/183a.php

edit. dumb. was counting ramps as well. Not as bad as I thought.

Car: $2.97 with toll tag, $3.95 if pay by mail

5-axle semi: $11.88 with toll tag, $15.80 if pay by mail

Last edited by hauteboy; Dec 3, 2015 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I have a Texas Tag and i'm pretty sure I pay $12 for a car for traveling the length of 130. If traffic is bad in Austin (which is pretty much most of the time), it's definitely worth it. Also, welcome to my part of paradise. I travel regularly to Paris, Mount Pleasant, and Pittsburg for work. FT is the last place I'd expect to see those places mentioned.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
That´s really an unusual trip
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
brilliant report!!! i love the architecture of the courthouses. so many striking buildings.

Many thanks, T
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Nov 7, 2015
Distance driven: 530 miles
Counties visited: Blanco, Gillespie, Kerr, Kimble, Menard, Mason, McCulloch, Coleman, Brown, Comanche (46/254)

Planned a big roadtrip today.. driving a big loop around surrounding counties west of Austin. The weather wasn't so great the past few days, we've had so much rain this year. However it looked like it would be clear to the west. It was still grey day as I set off about 10AM. I took some back roads through Bee Cave to Dripping Springs before going west on US290.

Johnson City, BLANCO County
Johnson City was my first stop. Named after LBJ's uncle, who was one of the first settlers here. The original county courthouse was in Blanco a few miles south. It was drizzling a bit as I hopped out to have a look at the 1916 courthouse.

Fredericksburg, GILLESPIE County
It had been a few years since I had been through Fredericksburg, another town with a lot of German immigrants. The town is the birthplace of Chester W. Nimitz, admiral during WWII. The National Museum of the Pacific War is here. The skies were still cold and grey. The current courthouse dates from 1939, the original one next door has been converted into a library. The old jail was also nearby. Across the street from the courthouse is the Marketplaz where they have Oktoberfest. They were decorating it for Christmas with a huge Weihnachtspyramide (Christmas Pyramid). Fredericksburg gets a lot of tourists and the main strip is full of restaurants, antique stores, etc.

From Fredericksburg I had two options.. northwest towards Mason and Menard, or southwest towards Kerrville and then via I-10 to Junction and Menard. Kerrville was closer and I'd never been there.

Kerrville, KERR County
Kerrville is a good-sized town. They have a huge folk festival here over Memorial and Labor Day weekends. The 1916 courthouse has a huge annex built behind it. The architect, Henry Phelps, was the same that designed the Johnson City and Goldthwaite courthouses.

I was getting a bit hungry so headed to Buzzie's BBQ, one of the 'Top 50 BBQ in Texas'. Brisket was a bit dry but sausage was OK.

Junction, KIMBLE County
Heading west out of Kerrville on I-10 towards Junction you get a sense of just how sparsely populated Texas is... and this is nothing compared to west Texas! There's very little out this way once the speed limit hits 80mph. Arrived in Junction about 1:30PM. It is named for the confluence of the north and south Llano river. The skies had cleared and now there was a gorgeous blue sky. I-10 bypasses the main town so the square was pretty quiet. Henry Phelps also designed this 1929 courthouse.

Menard, MENARD County
From Junction, I headed north towards Menard on US83. This would be the first new county visited this trip. Compared to Kerrville and even Junction, Menard was a small town that looked like it had seen better days. The streets were flooded from the recent huge rains. There was a tiny white church on one corner across from the courthouse.

Mason, MASON County
Mason was about a 45-minute drive to the east, arriving just before 3PM. I'd passed through Mason county before but had never been through town. The 1909 Beaux Arts courthouse here is quite pretty with a domed clock tower. The original county jail is across the street.

Brady, McCULLOCH County
Brady was a 30-minute drive north of Mason. I'd been to Brady a few years previously to visit the annual Labor Day Goat BBQ. Good stuff. Courthouse here dates from 1900. There were a couple of ladies setup on the square selling homemade baked goods and I bought loaf of pumpkin bread.

Coleman, COLEMAN County
From Brady it was a straight shot up US283 to Coleman. It was getting late in the afternoon (4:15PM) and I was concerned about making it to the last one or two courthouses before sunset (about 5:30PM now after the time change). Coleman seemed a bit of a sleepy town, a crossroads on the rail line. The road passed by on the east side of town. At the turnoff there was a billboard announcing 'Owl Drug - home of the Owl Burger!'. This was an old school drug counter with soda fountain and grill. The courthouse dates from 1884 but remodeled in 1952 which 'removed all historic architectural character'. The old jail was behind the courthouse.

Brownwood, BROWN County
Brown county was going to be the last planned stop. Brownwood is a decent sized city, the largest this trip since Kerrville. Got here a bit earlier than expected and decided to push on to Comanche, racing the sunset. The 1917 courthouse was impressive, with the nearby old jail now housing a museum.

Comanche, COMANCHE County
The drive to Comanche was quick. Passed by several wind turbines on the way. Made it to Comanche just before sunset! On the way into town I stopped at the old jail. The courthouse here was built in 1939 so it displayed the usual boxy/modern style from that period. Out front was the original Old Cora, the only remaining log courthouse in Texas from 1856. And I'd done it! 10 counties visited in one day and I still had nearly a 3 hr drive back to Austin.

I drove back to Brownwood for dinner at Underwoods Cafeteria. I managed to get there right after a football team so the line was pretty long and I was starving. Definitely an old school place.. I had the BBQ spare ribs and cherry cobbler. Not bad, but I probably could have given it a pass and eaten elsewhere, considering I had to backtrack to Brownwood.

The drive back to Austin was down US183 in the dark. I passed back through Goldthwaite and Lampasas which I had already visited. First 'revisits' of the counties I've had to make. 500+ miles and 11 hrs later I made it home.

Last edited by hauteboy; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:46 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.