Wiki Posts
Search

Korean Air Flight 23 on the new 747-8i in First

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Korean Air Flight 23 on the new 747-8i in First

I had the entire report almost ready but it got lost when I let too much time elapse since last night.... sigh, so here it goes again from scratch.

This is also available with additional commentary at: https://airsicktravel.blogspot.com/2...rst-class.html

This was the last flight of an 8 week long vacation around the world, I had 19 flights. Now I'm too lazy to type out the entire list of flights so I'll just say the F flights of interest vs this flight were the BA F flight from JFK-LHR and the F QR A380 flight from DOH-BKK (after sleeping in the new DOH 1st lounge)

Ground Experience

I learned that if you're flying on Asiana, Korean and Jeju air, you could check-in, drop off bags and go thru immigrations at the Seoul train station before taking the AREX express train to ICN. I was nervous whether the bags would make it safely or if they'd be able to tag the luggage as priority but they did have a separate F/C check-in counter (but no separate F counter) and they were able to tag the luggage appropriately. She offered to wrap our luggage which we accepted. At NRT, they also wrapped our luggage on a NRT-ICN F flight. At the least, it makes id'ing your bag on the carousel really easy.

In SFO, our bags were indeed #1 and ~#5 on the carousel, and it seemed like the Asian carriers (JL, HX) seemed to actually put out the priority bags first. Whereas USAir and BA seemed to actually put them out last if at all. (BA lost my bag once)

I had taken the regular (all stops) AREX train on the way in to Seoul and I would try to avoid it even if it's cheaper (we're talking 8000won vs 4x00won, so like ~$3 difference, also the 8000won gets discounted to 6900 if flying on KE, OZ, Jeju too I suppose) as the trains are subway style and you can only check in and drop off your bags if you're on the express train but they didn't check in our case. Also, sometimes the schedule doesn't align and it may sometimes be faster to take the regular train in, which is what we did.

After getting to the airport and going straight to the nearest security checkpoint, we asked where the crew security lane was and was told it was over there but since the line here is short, it would be faster to just go through here. Biggest mistake ever! The agent (a different one later after the x-ray machine) would end up taking out every single little thing out of my backpack and there were lots of things in my backpack. At least she offered to put them back in which I declined.

After that, we didn't have that much time in the lounge, I had read reviews of the KAL first class lounge so I knew about what to expect so wasn't surprised by anything, the food I thought was ok but agree that it's not really fitting of a first class lounge in the home airport of a major int'l carrier. I ate the hot items which were ok but not good and had a shower while they made our luggage tags and also used the massage chair (they only have 2) before checking the time and got to the gate as they were just beginning to announce final call.

The lounge agents didn't announce boarding and they didn't tell me they wouldn't be announcing it. I forgot to ask and it's not a big deal as I don't rely on it anyway but would have been nice to either be told to watch the time on my own or have it be announced.

shower in the lounge, I just noticed the uneven triangular fold on the TP
Name:  D8siFXkh.jpg
Views: 3361
Size:  93.2 KB

luggage tag
Name:  pEeyLIgh.jpg
Views: 3439
Size:  103.2 KB

Learning my lesson, I'm going to post in installments. Next is the in-plane experience.

Last edited by Matthew330Ci; May 7, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:56 pm

Looking forward to the rest of the TR!

Incheon Airport is so crowded these days. I really can't wait for the new terminal to open.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

On board

Seat 2A which would be my home for the next 9h 42m. I had 4.5 windows to myself, but it's a lot of work to close them all by hand. QR and BA had automatic shades.

The cabin is laid out in a 1:1 3 row pattern on the pointy end on the lower deck so the seats in the 1st row are closer to each other and row 3 they are the farthest apart but there is also a protruding table/shelf between the seats on row 3 so it's not like you can do gymnastics like I was expecting to.

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...-seat-map.html

Also, the 2 bathrooms aft of 1st class are closed off to C, so the C lav on the lower deck has to be shared between 26 pax.

The bathrooms are nothing spectacular, it's a bit bigger than a regular Y bathroom with a fold-down seat for changing. But it's big enough where it doesn't feel cramped. I think it's bigger than the BA F bathroom but much smaller than the gigantic QR A380 F bathroom.

My mom and I sat in 2a and 2k and when you're sitting, even with the door open, you can't see anyone else. Even when you lean forward a lot, you just see the legs of the passenger on the other side. It was on my bucket list to fly in a seat with a door but now I really don't see much point at least not the way it's on this plane. You can still see the heads of the FAs as they walk by when you're sitting and you already can't see any of the other passengers anyway. I do suppose when you're lying down it would maybe block the view of people walking by (but I was out shortly after lying down so I didn't really have a chance to tell).

On the BA and QR flights I think a door would have made more of a difference, but this is a testament to how private the seats are on this Korean plane.

the door closed

There are no overhead compartments, instead they have a spacious closet at each seat. Actually I don't know if they have a separate area where they could store your carryons if you have a proper carryon. The FAs always offered and did put all my clothes on the hangers, both my jacket at first as well as the bags and later after I changed into my pajamas, they hung my clothes on the hangers as well even when I said I can do it myself.

Here's the amenity kit with Davi branded products, pajamas and the Bose headphones

There are also slippers in a nice big bag which make it easy to put back in.

The amenity kit is nice but was missing earplugs and socks. The pajamas are the best of the 3 between QR, BA and KE. I got a BA small, a QR S/M (they only have a combined S/M size) and a KE medium. They all fit well but the QR's felt a bit too slim-fit, and I'm a pretty slim guy, BA's fit well and had pockets in the pants while the other 2 didn't, but KE's had the best material feel and were the most comfortable.

Also, the flight itself wasn't noticeably hot. I did wake up once where I was too warm but the comforter is pretty thick, so I just kicked off parts of the comforter to make myself cooler and slept without incident except for....

turbulence! We were told before taking off that we'd have turbulence the whole flight but this was the strongest, most violent flight I've experienced. Thankfully, I kept going back to sleep after being jolted awake a few times.

Seat Comfort

The seats on this flight were the most comfortable out of the 3 F flights. With the most comfortable bed. QR's bed was pretty close and the BA's bed frankly felt a bit angled to me and were the least comfortable but I was able to still sleep on all 3 flights without incident.

The seats between this and the QR flight are about the same in size both while sitting down and lying down while BA's is the least spacious but I don't think that's a surprise to anyone. The seats themselves can move forward while dining, it didn't seem like the table itself moved.

I also didn't find the color scheme to be a bother, it's just pleasantly neutral where I didn't really notice it even after reading some FT'ers saying it looked like a hospital from the pictures.

IFE

The remote is responsive (I didn't try to see if the monitor itself was touch screen, it would be pointless as it's too far away anyway) and the cameras that look down and forward worked. (they didn't work on the QR flight)

The movie/tv selection was somewhat limited but they had a good selection of recent hit movies. There were Korean/Japanese/Chinese options as well.

Menus

Details of the Hansik Jeongchan which I had

Champagne list

Last edited by Matthew330Ci; Nov 26, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
love those 747's ^
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Meal service

The seared scallop with black mushroom with spicy orange sauce, I think it was ok but I don't like mushrooms

Bread

I requested the caviar service, even though it doesn't come with the Korean Hansik option

I have no idea if this is good caviar or not

I did enjoy this caviar more than the one I had on the QR flight but I prefer the eggs and onions to be separate like it was on the QR flight. There was no caviar on the BA flight.

wild sesame soup with stuffed bean curd, pretty good, I'm no food critic so that's about as descriptive as you're going to get.

salad. They make it by your seat, I asked for everything with the Korean soy-sauce based dressing, she said it's salty so she'd put a little in. I didn't like the dressing but the salad was fresh. I had already eaten before I remembered to take this pic.

side dishes (look at menu post above) + braised chicken stew + rice
the side dishes tasted fresh and carefully prepared, I especially liked the walnuts. The chicken stew was very tender and good, looked like it had egg.

Spicy vegetable soup and spicy braised hairtail added, it was a little bit spicy and true to the 1 pepper rating on the menu. Both were good and tasted authentically Korean but not sure if they'd agree with a typical Western palate. If you like Korean food, you'll like it, if not, then maybe not but you should usually get the Asian option on an Asian carrier. I had the salmon on the prior flight on KE and it was bland while my mom's bibimbap was good. If you look at the menu carefully, I could have had bibimbap instead of the hairtail on this flight.

Fruit and cheese, fruit was fruit, I didn't like any of the cheeses but I'm not a big cheese guy

sweet potato balls in red bean paste, the balls were good, the red beans were ok but I hate red beans

Green tea (bag), you can see the effects of turbulence in the tea cup.

Breakfast

I was woken by my mom with about 45-50 mins left in the flight and served breakfast after they cleaned up my bed while I changed.

Omelette with bacon, it was fine, not memorable, bacon not crispy

Croissant with jam/olive oil

Fruits

Overall, the dinner service took a while but it felt about the right pace, I think we were 3 hrs into the flight by the time everything was cleared. Also, they weren't as careful about placing the utensils as I had read in other TRs. My tablecloth was upside down (the plane design was upside down) and my plates were consistently placed a bit to my left and not quite centered. But these are truly first world problems and nothing that bothered me, just something I noticed. I think QR and BA were both more careful.

Conclusion

Realized I didn't wrap everything up. This was the flight I looked forward to the most on my trip and as a grand finale, it certainly did not disappoint. Even with the violent turbulence, I had a great sleep and after landing at 9AM SFO time, had a good day where I felt drowsy in the afternoon (which normally happens anyway but not to this degree) but managed to stay awake until 9:30PM. It was certainly the best flight out of the 19 flights. The hard product is excellent. The service is very good and attentive but not as polished as QR where the service was the best I've experienced. The food was very good. Overall, a wonderful end to a wonderful trip.

Last edited by Matthew330Ci; Nov 26, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I was just on OZ First Class SFO-ICN last week...and they seem to really copy each other. Seat seems the same except for the color. Menu very similar. Caviar service on OZ was great, rest of food very good, but your meal seems a notch better.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great TR, thanks for sharing. Those suites must be huge, they have 6 seats in the space LH has 8!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HangukStyle
Looking forward to the rest of the TR!

Incheon Airport is so crowded these days. I really can't wait for the new terminal to open.
On our way to security, I noticed there was a mob of people at the Jin Air area, security wasn't too crowded though, this was around 2:30PM on a Tuesday. I wasn't aware they were opening a new terminal, when is that supposed to happen?

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
love those 747's ^
Me too, it's my favorite plane, it just looks 'right'. The proportions are just so classic. I stopped for a second to admire the plane after we deplaned.

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I was just on OZ First Class SFO-ICN last week...and they seem to really copy each other. Seat seems the same except for the color. Menu very similar. Caviar service on OZ was great, rest of food very good, but your meal seems a notch better.
My mom had a chance to sit in the OZ F cabin on 1 of her flights to meet me in HKG, she was on a C ticket so no F food, but from her pics, seems like the doors are higher and seats similar size.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Great TR, thanks for sharing. Those suites must be huge, they have 6 seats in the space LH has 8!
You're welcome, certainly spacious but I think some of that extra space is in the aisle between the seats. But certainly not complaining.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for the great report.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:31 pm

did they give you macadamia nuts on a plate or in a bag?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:42 am

Great Trip Report!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
On our way to security, I noticed there was a mob of people at the Jin Air area, security wasn't too crowded though, this was around 2:30PM on a Tuesday. I wasn't aware they were opening a new terminal, when is that supposed to happen?

To me the airport feels so much more crowded than let's say 10 years ago. It will still take some years for the new terminal to be opened:
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a great trip reports!!! ^^^^

I'm so glad you had a great flight. I'm glad that you flew on first 747-8i. I don't see more pictures of the aircraft, cabin, and etc.

So please do that for me next time. Hope you have a great time.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Just came across this excellent TR. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Thanks too for the comparisons with the BA and QR F flights. I would have welcomed even more comparisons with aspects of those flights and a few shots of the 747-8i cabin. But those are just quibbles. This is a very useful TR.

And speaking of comparisons, have you flown the Korean Air 380 in F? And if so, which did you prefer?

Anyway, thanks again!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although I accept it's always hard to judge something by photos alone I can't say it looks all that impressive.

Glad you liked it though and thanks for posting. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.