Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

SQ 62 to Moscow and back, plus glimpses of Moscow Москва

SQ 62 to Moscow and back, plus glimpses of Moscow Москва

Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:14 am
Original Poster

What kind of vehicle is this?

Looks to me like an SUV-Limo, if there is such a thing? Seen on the streets of Moscow.

Here is a short video.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
looks like they modified a Hummer and created a limo out of it. I would hate to see the fuel bill for that.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Flying home - Moscow Domodedovo Airport International Business Lounge

My trip to Moscow was short and sweet. It was time to go home. Journey from the Hotel Metropol to the airport took an hour, even though the traffic was quite clear.

The weather was about 5 deg.

The airport security screening started at the main entrance. They do not let you enter the airport without first getting all your bags screened and walking through a metal detector. I understand this was needed to enhance security. This airport had suffered from major incidents before.

As I had been seated in the car for a rather long time, I needed the toilet. The toilets were easy to find, following the large signs. However, the toilet was down a rather long flight of stairs, and pax had to lug their luggage down and back up. Not very user-friendly, in my opinion.

Anyway, the airport was rather crowded. Finding the SQ check-in counter wasn't too difficult. There was a short line for Business Class check in but no line at the First Class counter. So the check-in staff ushered me over to the First class counter to check in.

Check in was smooth. I got my boarding pass, which looked like this. Notice, they printed that I was invited to the International Business Lounge. On top of that, they would give you a voucher for the lounge. You need the voucher and boarding pass to get into the lounge, which I will show you later.

Once check-in was done, I headed straight to the restricted area. You had to look carefully to go to the area that your flight was departing from, in my case, it was the A gates. Business class passengers were ushered to a separate security section, which was labelled for diplomats and APEC. But I think most of us were travelling in Business or First. Queues were short and I got through security quite quickly, to my relief.

Finding the business lounge was easy. I got in without any problems. The lounge was quite spacious. I spent a bit of time there, clearing some work, and taking a light lunch before the flight. I tried the red wine, which was pretty good.

The lounge had just one shower, but I wasn't planning to shower today. It also had a kids' area as well as a business center, both of which nobody used. Most pax were just seated, eating, drinking, working.. basically doing their own thing.

Food selection was ok, I guess, for a lounge in Europe. This is what I got to eat.

The views from the window was not bad and I spent quite a bit of time plane watching! Here is a shot of the Singapore Airlines plane that would bring me home. She had just arrived from Houston.

This green coloured S7 plane was about to depart.

Here are videos of the plane watching I did from the lounge. This was El Al, Israeli Airline, pushing back from the gate. This would be the same gate that the Singapore Airlines plane would use. In fact, in this video, you can see the SQ Boeing 777-300ER already waiting at the tarmac, for this plane to depart.

And now the Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER jet taxis in, led by an airport car. I am thinking of home, as the soundtrack would tell you.

In this video, the Azerbaijan Airlines plane had just arrived. No aero-bridge for this plane. Passengers disembarked from front and rear doors, to a waiting airport bus. I have never been to Azerbaijan, though I have heard that Baku is a beautiful place.

Finally, here is the review video I made of the Moscow Domodevodo International Business Lounge. Check out the video to see how the lounge looks like and the food on offer.

Next, my flight home.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the trip report luvcruising2!

I had my first trip to Moscow in June so the weather was more agreeable and had a great time too.

Loved the Bolshoi but skipped McDonald's for Sbarro pizza!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Thanks for the trip report luvcruising2!

I had my first trip to Moscow in June so the weather was more agreeable and had a great time too.

Loved the Bolshoi but skipped McDonald's for Sbarro pizza!
Yeah, it would have been very nice in June. Did you try the Russian canteen at the 4th floor of GUM?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
Like this scene. I noticed some of the buses were still of this electric nature. They looked rather old though. I'm not sure if such buses are a common sight anymore, I may be wrong though.
It's called a trolleybus and they're common in many ex-USSR and Eastern European cities
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Negative, I had read about the former worker's canteen in GUM but didn't end up dining there.

Dr Zhivago, located in the Hotel National where I stayed, was really good along with a visit to Cafe Pushkin for the atmosphere.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Negative, I had read about the former worker's canteen in GUM but didn't end up dining there.

Dr Zhivago, located in the Hotel National where I stayed, was really good along with a visit to Cafe Pushkin for the atmosphere.
Cool. I didn't get a change to visit Cafe Pushkin, maybe next time (if there is a next time).

I did get to eat at the canteen at GUM, and the experience was pretty good. Will put up the pictures/videos once I get around to it.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Flight - Moscow to Singapore

The lounge made announcements for passengers to board their respective flights. I found the announcements useful. Once the announcement was made for my flight, I picked up my bags and headed to the gate. I noticed that other pax were doing the same. By this time, the lounge was more crowded.

By the time I got to the gate, the plane was already boarding. But I wasn't late, by any means. For my video flight review, I broke it into two parts as follows.

Part 1 - boarding, taxi and take-off.

Part 2 - meal service (lunch and breakfast before landing) and landing into Singapore Changi

Now for some pictures. Boarding was quick and easy, and I got my seat in a jiffy. Looking at the menu as if I understood Russian.

The cabin crew came around to offer drinks and I opted for the champagne. A little bubbly to celebrate a successful trip and the fact that I was going home.

An Emirates airlines Boeing 777-300ER pulled into the gate next to us, just as we were pushing back.

I usually choose the Singapore Sling for my drink after take-off, but this time round I felt like having a gin and tonic, which I did. Here was my gin and tonic, served with warm nuts. Delicious.
f

Lunch was served. This was the first course, Smoked salmon, some salad. I am not a big fan of smoked salmon, so I ate the salad.

For my main, I ended up having some chicken with penne pasta. It wasn't too bad. Note that Book the Cook was not available for flights out of Moscow so I couldn't use this service.

Dessert was a very nice slice of opera cake. I chose this over the ice-cream.

And some cheese to finish.

I think the Business Class cabin was 100% full. Not sure about Economy. After lunch, it was time to get some sleep. The total flight time was 9 hours and 50 minutes. I probably got about 4-5 hours of sleep, which wasn't too bad. I automatically woke up before breakfast was served, though I noticed some pax looked pretty tired and they were really fast asleep, even throughout breakfast.

For my hot breakfast item, I chose the beef brisket noodles. Tasted like what I would get in Hong Kong.

Service was smooth and efficient and soon it was time to prepare for landing. The plane was early. From my window, I could see the glittering lights of Singapore. Awesome. Tiny Singapore.

Landing was smooth. I made another video of the landing, this time putting in a National Day SG50 song. Yeah, Go Singapore!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:47 pm

Can anyone please explain how SQ is allowed to sell tickets on its IAH-DMO leg? Are they using a codeshare or do they have an agreement with USA/Russia?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Temedar
It's called a trolleybus and they're common in many ex-USSR and Eastern European cities
And also in San Francisco

Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Starbucks in Moscow

Yeah, I walked past a Starbucks in Moscow (near the hotel) and since it was raining and I felt a bit hungry, why not stop by for a coffee and something to eat.

This is how the Starbucks looked like from the outside.

The place was fairly crowded, but not full. I could get a small table to myself. I decided to get a cafe latte and croissant. Ordering was easy enough, the staff could speak english and i could pay by VISA.

These mugs were pretty neat, though I didn't buy any. Didn't know the price either.

See this video for more of my experience in Starbucks Moscow!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:43 am
Original Poster

KRISPY KREME Donuts

On the morning of my departure, I had some time to walk around the immediate vicinity of the hotel for a short while and this time I noticed a Krispy Kreme. This place was pretty near the Red Square. At first, I walked past it and didn't feel like having a donut.

Then, I decided, let's have something to eat. A donut wouldn't hurt. With the novelty of having a Krispy Kreme donut in Moscow at the back of my mind, I entered the store, which was almost empty that time in the morning. The selection of donuts was pretty good.

The donut cost 85 roubles (1.30 USD) and the latte cost 200 Roubles (3 USD). Donut tasted fresh, though I didn't see them produce any at the donut machine. Quite a number of people were buying entire boxes. Looks like Russians have acquired a taste for Krispy Kreme donuts. Again, VISA was accepted, which was great because I did not have any Roubles.

Here is a short video of my experience having a Krispy Kreme donut in Moscow! I guess this is one of the 'been there, done that' moment.... LOL.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Soviet Style Canteen in GUM

I read so much about this place before going to Moscow that when I first went there, it seemed quite surreal. This is Stolovaya 57 at the GUM shopping complex which is right at the Red Square. Touted as a Soviet-style canteen, it turns out to be more like a decent cafe where there was good food at decent prices, cafe-style. The place was very easy to find. Once you get into GUM, just head to the 4th floor, which I believe is the top floor.

Before I show you the cafe, some pictures of GUM itself. The shopping center is quite large and there are many entrances. Christmas decor has been put up.

GUM - 1893. I assume this building came from the 19th Century! Pretty big and grand.

A rather large Christmas tree.

So, I took a mixture of escalators and stairs and found myself on the 4th floor, outside the canteen.

And this was my lunch. Total cost was 470 Roubles, or about 7USD. A lot to eat. I had a Chicken Kiev, some type of roasted vegetable wrap, boiled pasta, Russian cabbage soup (which was very hearty and full of meat) and two drinks!

You can email the cafe if you have any feedback!

And here is a video of my experience in Stolovaya 57. I queue up for food, make payment, eat and clear my tray. This place is well patronized, I think mostly by locals. I had a good meal! Recommended, if you are in the vicinity.

In this video, I am walking around GUM. I also show you how to find your way to the 4th level, where the Stolovaya 57 is located. There are similar eateries next to Stolovaya, selling Asian inspired food (like noodles), Western style burgers and even one store selling crepes. I saw some sushi place, but I didn't go there.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:35 pm

I believe it is called a Fifth Freedom route. There are actually several freedoms...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air

Originally Posted by König
Can anyone please explain how SQ is allowed to sell tickets on its IAH-DMO leg? Are they using a codeshare or do they have an agreement with USA/Russia?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.