Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Let's Go to Bangladesh!

Let's Go to Bangladesh!

Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Let's Go to Bangladesh!

The Bangladeshis are friendly people and welcome foreigners with open arms. However, due to political instability, strikes, and petro bombs going off at night, I sticked around the diplomatic quarter for my entire stay.

I expected chaotic street markets, and I got what I wanted.

It is difficult to guess the local numerical script. Luckily, the street signs are bilingual.

Rickshaws are a very common mode of transport here, and they are richly colourful to grab your attention. Sometimes, 1 puller can even handle 3 men in the same vehicle!

A political deadlock has paralyzed the country and has created a wave of violent attacks and blockades in cities. The opposition leader worked out of this office, which was surprisingly not surrounded by heavy security.

Buses are regular targets for crude petrol bombs, but life goes on and people still go about their daily routines.

Rooftops are a busy place in this city. With dry season, you can hang your clothes up there, play games, or just perch by the edge watching the city bustle.

Bangladesh is a Muslim country, but women are not covered head to toe. There is an element of liberalism, hence ads like this can survive.

Winters are actually quite cool here, with morning temperatures below 20C. Hence, riding a rickshaw or a CNG tuk-tuk is actually not too bad.

I have more photos of Dhaka's diplomatic quarter on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/dhaka.htm

After a wonderful time, although I couldn't see many tourist sights, it was time to head back to Hong Kong. Short red-eyes are quite painful, especially in Economy Class and when civil disobedience spikes at night. The drive to the airport was smooth. I suppose the residents wouldn't want to get caught up in the daily petro bomb attacks after sun-down. But the enhanced police presence along the way was a bit unnerving.

The airport was quite empty at this hour, and the immigration officers didn't seem willing to roll up to get my passport.

The airport is very basic and I walked around to photograph the barrenness and preliminary attempts to modernize. I give them credit for wanting to try.

There were 2 stores selling these types of snacks, which have some resemblance to what I have seen in India. I recall they were really sweet. But by this late in the day, I didn't want dessert anymore.

Bangladesh is a Muslim country so alcohol is a no-no.

At one empty corner of the terminal, the mosquitoes were rife and signs of ancient history were rampant.

The old bathroom is absolutely nasty. Walk to the next one down the corridor and you emerge in a mini-paradise.

Very small parts of the terminal have been renovated and look quite nice. I wonder when will the rest get the same treatment?

Biman's planes are not easily spottable around the world, so I was quite delighted to see them parked here.

My plane had just returned from Kathmandu.

The gate's seats are located past the boarding pass check and you are trapped inside. so I waited until I was sure it would be a straight walk onto the plane. The crew greeted passengers with a mosquito racket to ensure a bite-free journey ahead.

We departed slightly earlier than schedule tonight just before 2am. The crew did a good job keeping the mosquitoes in the terminal. They had electric mosquito rackets at the door and smack! They're electrocuted. It would have been nice to spot some of these rare birds on a day-time departure. I wonder if all international flights leave late at night?

I wasn't supposed to eat so late, but it wasn't a big meal anyway. It is a short 3.5-hour flight, so I wasn't expecting much sleep tonight.

We landed just past 7am to see Scoot's 787 departing. I can't imagine how early you need to wake up to get to the airport by taxi for your cheap flight.

Despite the red-eye timing, I was quite happy to fly on a widebody with new seats and PTVs. Dhaka's airport is quite painful to use, with the most mosquitoes I have seen in any building during my brief visit to the country. There isn't much to do but to wander around the few shops and watch TV once past immigration, so don't sweat and get to the airport so early. Put on lots of bug repellant and keep an eye on those blood-suckers. Once on board, I was far more relaxed to get as much rest as possible even though I would be sleeping at home for much of the morning after.

The whole report : http://www.globalphotos.org/ka-dhaka.htm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:32 am

Awesome photo's hkskyline, really give a good feel of the place. Would like to visit there eventually.

What hotel did you stay at? Looks like a cool place to see the city rooftops from above.

Didn't the Italian jogger get shot recently ('for being white') in the diplomatic area too?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Very interesting report of a country that doesn't get a lot of coverage on FT. Thanks a lot for sharing, hkskyline...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Awesome photo's hkskyline, really give a good feel of the place. Would like to visit there eventually.

What hotel did you stay at? Looks like a cool place to see the city rooftops from above.

Didn't the Italian jogger get shot recently ('for being white') in the diplomatic area too?
I was at the Westin, and visited before the recent violence against foreigners. Earlier in the year, they were striking and doing blockades so the violence was targeted at locals. There aren't many tall buildings in Gulshan so views are awesome.

The Italian was shot in this area.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Always a joy to see a TR on Bangladesh. I spent a year in Chittagong about 5 years ago and it was an interesting experience. However transportation is a pain throughout, the airports are bad, and roads worse. However, I recommend to anyone who wants to visit to go ahead, just be prepared
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice TR! I've been to Dhaka many times over the years, including last year, and recognize that view in your first photo from the Westin.

One thing you didn't capture was how snarled the traffic can get, but that's just a quibble. And of course the photos can't capture how nice most of the people are.

A real shame about the decades-long, dynasty-driven political wars that sometimes paralyze the country and certainly stymie its progress. And even worse that terrorism has arrived there. As a foreigner, I'd hesitate to go back at this point.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Nice TR! I've been to Dhaka many times over the years, including last year, and recognize that view in your first photo from the Westin.

One thing you didn't capture was how snarled the traffic can get, but that's just a quibble. And of course the photos can't capture how nice most of the people are.

A real shame about the decades-long, dynasty-driven political wars that sometimes paralyze the country and certainly stymie its progress. And even worse that terrorism has arrived there. As a foreigner, I'd hesitate to go back at this point.
The army of rickshaws is an eye-opener. I have never seen anything like it!

Unfortunately, it is no longer safe to go back.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Nice colourful pictures but Bangladesh & Pakistan not on my radar as travel destinations.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:57 am

Being an outspoken atheist I'd prefer not to; that and the fact that it's one of the great shizer holes of the world.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
Being an outspoken atheist I'd prefer not to; that and the fact that it's one of the great shizer holes of the world.
^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.