Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Singapore Four - SQ new J, A380 J, 77W F, 380 Suites + Fairmont Singapore Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Singapore Four - SQ new J, A380 J, 77W F, 380 Suites + Fairmont Singapore Suite

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:35 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Thank for this nice trip report so far and especially the pictures (note to myself: I have to take a closer look into the GoPro Cameras).

Btw, also great pictures on instagram ^
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
The bad news was I missed the start of this due to my own travel. The good side was that today I had a couple of posts to read to be caught back up.

Looking forward to the rest.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: IHG Priority Club,Fairmont presidents club,Marriot rewards,SPG,Delta Privalige
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Part 2: Fairmont Singapore Suite and Executive Club

Fairmont is not a chain often spoken about on FT or on the blogs. Their coverage is quite sporadic outside of North America (where there are some phenomenal looking old castles), their London hotel is The Savoy - a bastion of high society and very much a 'classic' (it is also the location of the only road in the United Kingdom where one drives on the right).
I really love the Fairmont brand, they own a lot of landmark hotels in North America but as you say they are not well represented in the rest of the world. Was the alcohol in the lounge on an honor bar system?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador

Great TR and look forward to the rest of it!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:13 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Thank for this nice trip report so far and especially the pictures (note to myself: I have to take a closer look into the GoPro Cameras).

Btw, also great pictures on instagram ^
Thanks FLYGVA! I'm still relatively new to instagram so it's very encouraging to see how many people are following!

The GoPro has been an absolute game-changer for me as far as capturing holiday memories goes. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
The bad news was I missed the start of this due to my own travel. The good side was that today I had a couple of posts to read to be caught back up.

Looking forward to the rest.
Thanks DaveNCL! That reminds me I haven't checked in on your excellent TR for a while ^

Originally Posted by Pjack94
I really love the Fairmont brand, they own a lot of landmark hotels in North America but as you say they are not well represented in the rest of the world. Was the alcohol in the lounge on an honor bar system?
As far as I know only North Americans put up with that honor bar nonsene! I've never seen this in any hotel lounge anywhere else in the world, Fairmont Singapore included

Originally Posted by kcmd
Great TR and look forward to the rest of it!
Thanks kcmd. The next instalment is now up. Hope you like it!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Outstanding report Jermyn. Great narrative and pics that captured the excitement of your first experiences with one of the world's great airlines.
Did you use GoPro for some of your cabin pics? The long range selfies were really cool.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Kudos Jermyn; great trip report. I am also curious about the long range selfies. Is the camera mounted in the corner of you seat/suite and are the pics taken remotely?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Jermyn - excellent trip report and your Instagram pictures are amazing. It actually convinced me to go out and buy a GoPro to use on my SQ suites flight next month - I am flying from JFK to SIN so looking forward to a 18 hours of suites.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:30 am

Absolutely great trip report. Now want a gopro myself. Thank you...
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:37 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

I'm not going to lie; as I strode up to the J class check in with my bizarre itinerary, issued on El Salvadoran ticket stock by an airmiles program based in Colombia, with the intent of flying to China on a Singaporean airline - with nothing but hand luggage, I felt supremely badass.
I agree.

One does feel particularly bad ... when using one of these Lifemiles tickets.

There is something bizarre about receiving the ITIN by email, and seeing that it is a dot matrix Courier text print out in all capitals that seems highly suspicious.

Even my Asiana A380 ticket earlier this year said that I was permitted to pack

"FREE OF CHARGE UPTO70LB 32KG AND62LI 158LCM
OR SLEEPING BAG
OR RUCKSACK KNAPSACK"

Who packs these items (a sleeping bag or rucksack)? And who travels this way?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
A stonking TR!

Thanks so much for a hugely fun and informative read, with loads of ideas for my up-coming trip to SIN! ^
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:24 am

You're teasing again

Looking forward to reading what you made of the old J, as I'm one of probably only about 4 people on earth who thinks it trumps the new product.

I was lucky enough to secure seat 11A
How did you manage to snag it on a Lifemiles booking?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:23 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Apologies for the delay everybody, the next part of the Trip Report is now up!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Outstanding report Jermyn. Great narrative and pics that captured the excitement of your first experiences with one of the world's great airlines.
Did you use GoPro for some of your cabin pics? The long range selfies were really cool.
Thanks SFO777 that means a lot coming from one of the top TR writers on this forum.

I did use a GoPro, I feel that it has significantly improved my ability to photograph within the tight confines of airplane cabins. I highly recommend getting one.

Originally Posted by NashVegas37206
Kudos Jermyn; great trip report. I am also curious about the long range selfies. Is the camera mounted in the corner of you seat/suite and are the pics taken remotely?
Thanks NashVegas37206. Yes, I mount the GoPro using a Gorilla Pod (a tripod with flexible arms). I can then use a phone, remote or timer to take the pictures.

Originally Posted by canuckshark
Jermyn - excellent trip report and your Instagram pictures are amazing. It actually convinced me to go out and buy a GoPro to use on my SQ suites flight next month - I am flying from JFK to SIN so looking forward to a 18 hours of suites.
Thanks canuckshark, given the amount of inspiration I've drawn form this forum, I'm so glad to hear that I'm providing some myself! I hope you have an amazing flight (I'm sure you will).

Originally Posted by RTW4
Absolutely great trip report. Now want a gopro myself. Thank you...
Thanks RTW4! Get one, you won't regret it.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I agree.

One does feel particularly bad ... when using one of these Lifemiles tickets.

There is something bizarre about receiving the ITIN by email, and seeing that it is a dot matrix Courier text print out in all capitals that seems highly suspicious.

Even my Asiana A380 ticket earlier this year said that I was permitted to pack

"FREE OF CHARGE UPTO70LB 32KG AND62LI 158LCM
OR SLEEPING BAG
OR RUCKSACK KNAPSACK"

Who packs these items (a sleeping bag or rucksack)? And who travels this way?
Absolutely, worldtraveller73! It is unbelievable how niche things can get when you really start digging deep into the whole miles and points game. Now that LH F is back on the table I have a feeling I'll be getting a few more fun tickets issued on TACA stock

Originally Posted by Capricorn70
Thanks so much for a hugely fun and informative read, with loads of ideas for my up-coming trip to SIN! ^
Thanks for reading Capricorn70 and have a great trip to SIN!

Originally Posted by Phaze
You're teasing again

Looking forward to reading what you made of the old J, as I'm one of probably only about 4 people on earth who thinks it trumps the new product.

How did you manage to snag it on a Lifemiles booking?

Haha. Well, without entirely giving the game away - it involved two trips to the Russian consulate in London and some warped geographical logic.

I'll have a little more free time as xmas draws near, so that final J segment should be up here very soon!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:22 am

I was going to comment on this lovely trip report after all the segments were uploaded, but I felt compelled in the interim to ask you to kindly review the menu description for the flight PVG-SIN, particularly the name of the steak
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by stargold
I was going to comment on this lovely trip report after all the segments were uploaded, but I felt compelled in the interim to ask you to kindly review the menu description for the flight PVG-SIN, particularly the name of the steak
Yes, perhaps Angas?

Fantastic review as usual; you can tell some of us read every word

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.