Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney the looong way; EY 789 J/F, EY A380 F, 16 hours in QR F Al-Safwa Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Subscribed and waiting. I am flying EY J to the AUH - US next month although in the 772 and 77W.
Thanks avneeshj!

Originally Posted by Madone59
Looking forward to this one ^^
Thanks Madone59!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Etihad award bookings in Business/First class cabins, even when made using AA miles, qualify for complimentary chauffeur pickups.

I was very pleased with the 2016 Cadillac Escalade they sent over.

'Slade interior

The Etihad counter didn't open until ~ 3.5 hours before the scheduled flight time.

Check-in was quick, and I headed over to the Etihad lounge. Nearly missed the entrance as it was sort of non-descript.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:21 pm

Nice to see this one getting going! I love Dulles, despite what anyone might say...

Any hints or lessons learned on getting the chauffeur service set up? I think I have it booked for my upcoming trip, but their website and confirmation email are not very convincing, and don't really contain any details...
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!! I'm taking the 797 Business Studios in two weeks on the same route and am so excited. Looking forward to the review!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Nice to see this one getting going! I love Dulles, despite what anyone might say...

Any hints or lessons learned on getting the chauffeur service set up? I think I have it booked for my upcoming trip, but their website and confirmation email are not very convincing, and don't really contain any details...
I called the Etihad toll-free number and relayed the address details to the phone agent. They were very helpful and recorded everything correctly. Within 24-48 hours of the scheduled pickup, I received a more detailed email that reflected the address and pickup time.

Originally Posted by MarylandFlyer244
I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!! I'm taking the 797 Business Studios in two weeks on the same route and am so excited. Looking forward to the review!
Thanks MarylandFlyer244!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Etihad First/Business Lounge at IAD

Like most, if not all, Etihad lounges, the IAD lounge sports similar design and color schemes. If you've been to one EY lounge, you've effectively been to all of them!

I like Etihad lounges because they're comfortable and tasteful. For reasons that I'll explain later, I think the Etihad lounge in Sydney is one of the best lounges that I've visited.

Entrance area, with huge plate of dates.

Business Center

Macs

The IAD lounge sports a second floor that is opened if the flight is full. My flight was full and it still wasn't opened, oddly.

Whew, at least those feet aren't bare.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:56 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I'm also subscribed and can't wait to see the rest of this trip report!

P.S. iluvdoco, I'm very interested to hear about how your 789 first suite experience topped your apartments experience. I'd love to hear more about the 789 experience and why it was better

Thanks for the trip report - love the photos - and this is coming from a guy who for one takes horrible photos and can see the difference between a bad photo (most of mine) and a good photo
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
The IAD lounge sports a second floor that is opened if the flight is full. My flight was full and it still wasn't opened, oddly.
Of the TRs discussing this lounge, I don't think I have yet seen one where the second floor was open. It makes me wonder if they built the space expecting a future influx of more passengers - either by bringing the A380 or forming stronger alliances with other partners. Unless Saudia is filling the thing when they use it earlier in the day - we don't see too many Saudia reports, but I kind of doubt it.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Any TR that has EY J/F & QR J/F in its title is at the top of my must-read list. Please don't make us wait too long, iluvdoco...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HB7
I'm also subscribed and can't wait to see the rest of this trip report!

P.S. iluvdoco, I'm very interested to hear about how your 789 first suite experience topped your apartments experience. I'd love to hear more about the 789 experience and why it was better

Thanks for the trip report - love the photos - and this is coming from a guy who for one takes horrible photos and can see the difference between a bad photo (most of mine) and a good photo
Thanks HB7!

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Of the TRs discussing this lounge, I don't think I have yet seen one where the second floor was open. It makes me wonder if they built the space expecting a future influx of more passengers - either by bringing the A380 or forming stronger alliances with other partners. Unless Saudia is filling the thing when they use it earlier in the day - we don't see too many Saudia reports, but I kind of doubt it.
They could definitely open up the 2nd floor more often. The lounge isn't large and fills up quickly.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Any TR that has EY J/F & QR J/F in its title is at the top of my must-read list. Please don't make us wait too long, iluvdoco...
Going as fast as I can JohnRain! Sorry, just returned recently and have over 1,000 photos to sort through.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

A la carte dining area

Bar area

Bathroom

It has this handy ledge area for you to leave your luggage, which I found helpful

Single shower suite that I used before getting on the plane
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by deovrat
Just curious, you're flying EY J in 772? As far as I know, EY don't have a 772.
They have 77Ls and 77Ws.
Sigh I meant 77L and 77W. Thanks for correcting me.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

I indulged in the a la carte dining area prior to boarding.

Also checked out the buffet area. There's a fruit/cheese/Arabic mezze station, pictured below:

As well as a dessert station with chocolate covered strawberries.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Lounge attendants came around periodically to offer Arabic coffee and dates.

I decided to go with a bit of dessert first. The chocolate covered strawberries were ok...the strawberry itself was too soft.

Roasted curry cauliflower and potato soup

Some Arabic mezze from the buffet station

Pan-seared arctic char; mango sweet chili sauce, gingered snow peas, brown basmati rice pilaf. The plating could use a little work.

Gingerbread spice cake with orange cardamom cream (a bit heavy)

Milk and rice pudding with pear compote, crusted pistachios. I liked this a lot; the rice pudding had a different consistency than what I'm used to.

After my liberal gut-stuffing sampling of the menu, I made my way to board the 787-9. The Etihad Dulles lounge offers the ability to board directly from the lounge. Neat!

CONCLUSION: Beautiful lounge space, great service, but the food was a bit disappointing. I think the BA lounge has better food.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 3, 2015 at 7:03 pm
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

EY 130
IAD-AUH
Business Class
Seat 9A (Forward facing)

Liking the new Etihad uniforms! Very chic, very stylish.
New EY uniforms >> QR uniforms

By installing a First Class cabin in the 787-9, Etihad's design necessitates a business class galley which conceals the natural sweeping arches of the 787's foyer/entryway.

Compare to this picture of QR's 787 foyer that I took on a previous QR 148 flight.

I think QR does a better job of preserving the open-ness and natural lines of the 787, but at the cost of not having a First Class cabin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.