Off Road In Kazakhstan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off Road In Kazakhstan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Some stunning scenery!! Wouldn't have thought Kazakhstan is so beautiful!!!

Isn't Almaty having a gas and oil boom at the moment? I could be wrong, but I think I saw a documentary on how Almaty is now becoming very developed and modern as a result??

Thanks for sharing. Very enjoyable read. ^
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report as always, DanielW. Those mountains of Central Asia are spectacular.
Thanks, mad_atta. Yes, the mountain scenery was very beautiful. Just trying to sus out how to see some more of them now with a trip to Tajikistan.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Fantastic....

Nice radar detector the driver had.

I am sure that comes in handy on the gravel roads... ;-)

Love the varied geography. some areas look so arid and others, lush.
Thank you, mkjr. The radar detector was completely silent on the gravel roads. It saved us a few times near Almaty though. It would start chirping away, and then a policeman with a radar gun and wide-brimmed hat would soon come in to view.

Yes, the scenery changed quite abit in a short distance. Would love to go back in winter and see it covered in snow too.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Great TR. Loved the scenery and the food, the manti shashlik and salads especially look good!
Cheers, grandgourmand. Yes, the manti and shashlik was very tasty, good solid central asian cuisine.

Originally Posted by 13900
Great TR, I'm always subscribed to your threads as I find them amongst the best over here in Flyertalk, and this time it's about a destination I've been wanting to visit for quite a long time!

If I may ask, would you be able to share the details of Sergey's tour agency? I'm planning to do a trip (albeit a short one, a day trip at best) to the Charyn canyon in May and it'd be nice to go with someone who other might recommend.

Thanks!
Many thanks for the compliments, 13900.

I booked my trip through a Dutch tour agency, which mean't I saved alot as I split the costs with the Dutch couple:
http://www.kazaktours.com/

Sergey has his own website though, if you would like to book direct:
http://kazaktourism.com/

Originally Posted by mpkz
^ ^ ^
Thank you, mpkz, although I wasn't quite as brave as you to go in the winter though.

Originally Posted by farbster
Really terrific report as always. How come you don't run into SFO777 on your travels? LOL

Thanks!
Thanks, farbster. I actually just used SFO777's contact for a driver in Sri Lanka so our travel plans are bound to cross eventually.

Originally Posted by mike&co
You never fail to impress with your trip reports. Impressive ^
Thank you, mike&co.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Great tr - thanks Daniel! I love that you did a home stay in the countryside this time. I loved seeing the mix of satellite dish and outhouse potty!

I only wish that your trip had been longer. I can't recall if you've been to Kyrgyzstan but look forward to seeing that tr in the future.
Many thanks, gaobest. Yes, quite a contrast with the satellite tv and longdrop loo.

I did a two week trip to Kyrgyzstan in 2013, and actually went over the border to Kazakhstan (for about 30 seconds) when we driving along the border (as the road briefly crossed it).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...yrgyzstan.html

Originally Posted by netllama
Another stellar trip report.

As @13900 asked, I'm also interested in contact details for your guide. Also did you get any impression about how much of the country is easily accessible (for travellers) in the winter?
Thank you, netllama. Sergey's website here: http://kazaktourism.com/

You could probably head to Saty and see the lakes in the winter. I do know that Assy Plateau is closed during the colder months though.

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Some stunning scenery!! Wouldn't have thought Kazakhstan is so beautiful!!!

Isn't Almaty having a gas and oil boom at the moment? I could be wrong, but I think I saw a documentary on how Almaty is now becoming very developed and modern as a result??

Thanks for sharing. Very enjoyable read. ^
Thanks, SgtRyan.

Yes, Almaty is quite a modern city, especially when compared to nearby Bishkek. Alot of cars too, traffic was pretty bad in some places! The airport was quite reasonable and I even saw a KFC too.

The new Kazakh capital, Astana, is apparently where they're doing the serious construction though, with lots of shiny buildings etc.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
I agree with 13900. Your TRs feature very interesting destinations. One word for this one
WOW!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by londonfog
I agree with 13900. Your TRs feature very interesting destinations. One word for this one
WOW!
Many thanks, londonfog. Was a great break away from Dubai, and quite a contrast from the desert and hot summer here. Quite cheap too, only $400 for the airfare and not much more for the rest of the trip.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Really really love your exotic adventures! Did you get to meet Borat by chance?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you, mpkz, although I wasn't quite as brave as you to go in the winter though.
I went again this summer (1 week Kz + 2 weeks Uzbekistan, trip report forthcoming when I'm less busy/lazy), doing the logical thing of visiting the cool mountains and everything in the winter and the insanely hot southern part of the country (Shymkent, Turkestan) in the summer.

Kazakhstan is a country that for some reason I'm drawn to visiting again even though I've seen "most" of what there is to see in terms of the big sights. Friendly people and interesting culture. A naturally very beautiful country as well, as your pictures really show.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Another awesome report DanielW! You made me miss Kazakhstan a bit today
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
^ Great report. Glad you had no border problems! (disclaimer - link to my blog)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:52 pm

Fantastic.

Makes me want to go. Except for the camping. Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
The pictures from your trip are incredible. Did you feel safe during your time there? No one demanding extra money from tourists, etc?

Where is your next adventure to?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
A panoramic photo of the Sharyn River from above.
As hard as it is to pick out a specific shot from all the glorious images, this one takes the cake in my book.

Once again, a spectacular report.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
I went again this summer (1 week Kz + 2 weeks Uzbekistan, trip report forthcoming when I'm less busy/lazy), doing the logical thing of visiting the cool mountains and everything in the winter and the insanely hot southern part of the country (Shymkent, Turkestan) in the summer.

Kazakhstan is a country that for some reason I'm drawn to visiting again even though I've seen "most" of what there is to see in terms of the big sights. Friendly people and interesting culture. A naturally very beautiful country as well, as your pictures really show.
Great that you got to head back there, would love to see more of Kazakhstan too. Sounds like it was really warm when you went back too, our guide was saying Almaty got up to 35C the week before we went!

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Another awesome report DanielW! You made me miss Kazakhstan a bit today
Many thanks, oneworld82. Hopefully the manti and shashlik evoked a bit of a Pavlovian response too.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
^ Great report. Glad you had no border problems! (disclaimer - link to my blog)
Thanks, Matthew. I read that before I went and definitely made me a bit nervous! Apart from having to queue an inordinate amount of time, I luckily had no problems with customs though.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Fantastic.

Makes me want to go. Except for the camping. Thanks.
Cheers, Bretteee. My next two trips each include a night in a tent so something for you to look forward to.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
The pictures from your trip are incredible. Did you feel safe during your time there? No one demanding extra money from tourists, etc?

Where is your next adventure to?
Thank you, HawaiiTrvlr. Felt perfectly safe while I was there. I saw several groups of three policemen walking about in Almaty after dark to keep a safe presence. No one hasseling me for extra money. Tourism is relatively rare in Kazakhstan so I guess as a tourist you are still abit of a novelty. Just came back from trips to Turkmenistan and Sri Lanka. Got a trip to West Africa with hauteboy and ironmanjt coming up too.

Originally Posted by snabbu
As hard as it is to pick out a specific shot from all the glorious images, this one takes the cake in my book.

Once again, a spectacular report.
Thanks, snabbu, that was one of my favourite shots too. Perfect light (soft and diffuse from the cloudy sky) and a great viewpoint.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

Just came back from trips to Turkmenistan and Sri Lanka.
We're just back from Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. That means that you, my husband and I are 3 of the 7500 tourists in the country this year. I was shocked to find it the 6th least visited country in the world. I hope you are planning a trip report on it. Your reports are always magical with wonderful pictures.

I expected to have plov on our trip but on the one day we asked our guide to seek it out was told that it is typically finished by midday. We dd have manti and thought it delicious, both in and out of soup.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:40 pm

Wow this is wild! Definitely a great report, thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Absolutely beautiful pictures! Thank you so much! I myself had hiked Charyn Canyon and bathed in the Charyn River (in June 2012) so that was absolutely wonderful to see. The underpass, was it next to a supermarket on Ablai Khan St.? Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

I love Kazakhstan and I love the Kazakh people that I am proud to say I know. A wonderful country and a beautiful people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.