Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines First Class (Pancakes!)+AA Flagship First Class Suites Lounge PDX✈LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines First Class (Pancakes!)+AA Flagship First Class Suites Lounge PDX✈LAX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Hey AAtticus,

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Amazing Trip Report as always.

I really like how much effort you put into these trips and reports and love to read about the side stories as well.

As small remark, I'm not sure if it's the camera or a filter that you applied but some of the pictures have a very weird hue (is that the right word?) to it. Do you take analog pictures and then scan them?

Nevertheless, great pictures and info, I hope you enjoyed your trip.
Thank you for your kind words!

Some, but not all of my pictures are digitally enhanced using the GNU Image Manipulation Program Stable Release 2.8. No, I do not take any analog pictures, I use these babies :

-LPDAL
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Waw, that's a pretty impressive setup!
Already looking forward to the next report. Keep them coming.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Waw, that's a pretty impressive setup!
Already looking forward to the next report. Keep them coming.
Thanks again!

I just started underlying work on the AA 777 report No. 2 and am also looking at possibilities for future trips as well.

Stay tuned ,

-LPDAL
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:54 pm

Headed to PDX in a few weeks. Can't wait to use that pancake machine!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Hey Fly7B2!

Originally Posted by fly7b2
Headed to PDX in a few weeks. Can't wait to use that pancake machine!
I agree - it was great fun and the pancakes were delicious! I had a ball as you can see.

Thanks again,

-LPDAL
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: FT
Great TR. I love the plane spotting in LAX. Nice. Too bad about the haze but pics are still good.

Those pancakes look great. I grew up in yvr and miss Alaska.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Independent
Just leave us hanging...

Great report as always. I love the little history tidbits.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Great trip report! I love the mix of old (the old photographs and history) and new. The star of this report has to be that pancake machine though. It even inspired me to look it up on youtube

I grew up in Vancouver BC, So I have spent a lot of time in Seattle and Portland over the years. Portland is an amazing city, with great coffee and great food. Hopefully next time you make it back you can get some real pacific northwest third wave coffee? STUMPTOWN is a great choice, I think you would enjoy the free daily coffee cuppings.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Hey MKJR, and thanks for another nice comment!

Originally Posted by mkjr
Great TR. I love the plane spotting in LAX. Nice. Too bad about the haze but pics are still good.

Those pancakes look great. I grew up in yvr and miss Alaska.
I'm looking forward to Virgin America First Class on FLL-JFK-FLL as I will have ample oppurtinity to plane spot -- then check out Times Square! Already have my tickets, hotel, and everything. ^

Hey Cloudship, and welcome back aboard!

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Just leave us hanging...

Great report as always. I love the little history tidbits.
Nooooo...I just wanted these to be seperate reports to make them a bit more manageable.

More history coming in the LAX-MIA final segment, of course. Glad you enjoyed it!!

Thank you both again,

-LPDAL / Colby
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Hi Montezume, seems you and I posted our comments at the same time! In any event, thank you for commenting!

Originally Posted by montezume
Great trip report! I love the mix of old (the old photographs and history) and new. The star of this report has to be that pancake machine though. It even inspired me to look it up on youtube pancake printer video.

I grew up in Vancouver BC, So I have spent a lot of time in Seattle and Portland over the years. Portland is an amazing city, with great coffee and great food. Hopefully next time you make it back you can get some real pacific northwest third wave coffee? STUMPTOWN is a great choice, I think you would enjoy the free daily coffee cuppings.
As I said above I had a ball with the automatic pancake shooter. I'll never get over the battery goodness!

Of course, I will return to PDX, and visit the city proper. One of the first places I want to go, however, is VooDoo Doughnut. And in the same region of course, Seattle (Boeing, Bungie, Nintendo of North America...What else ) is another destination I'd really like to see. What sucks is that AS does, in fact, fly a nonstop FLL-SEA-FLL flight which departs out of Concourse C (so I'd be able to use the United Club!!! ^) but the prices for first class are outrageous, ie $900 one way on most days and even during the slowest periods it is still $600+ O/W. I'll find a way to make it work, somehow...

Thanks again, Montezume!

-LPDAL
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Hi Montezume, seems you and I posted our comments at the same time! In any event, thank you for commenting!

As I said above I had a ball with the automatic pancake shooter. I'll never get over the battery goodness!

Of course, I will return to PDX, and visit the city proper. One of the first places I want to go, however, is VooDoo Doughnut. And in the same region of course, Seattle (Boeing, Bungie, Nintendo of North America...What else ) is another destination I'd really like to see. What sucks is that AS does, in fact, fly a nonstop FLL-SEA-FLL flight which departs out of Concourse C (so I'd be able to use the United Club!!! ^) but the prices for first class are outrageous, ie $900 one way on most days and even during the slowest periods it is still $600+ O/W. I'll find a way to make it work, somehow...

Thanks again, Montezume!

-LPDAL
Perhaps once you have been working for a bit at your new job, you can join us credit card churners and earn some AS miles to pay for the FLL-SEA-FLL flight

Last time I was in Portland I missed my chance to go to Voodoo donuts. I walked by early in the morning, it was open with no line, but I told myself I would go back later, came back and the lineup was around the block

I need to fly AS and try out that pancake machine
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Nice report. How did you find the bulkhead seat on the AS 737? I've always found the non-bulkhead seats to be very cramped compared to F on other airlines. The pitch in AS F is definitely not industry leading. Service is generally pretty solid though.

Decent snack plate, though it looks like they could put a little more effort into it to bring it up to par with what VX is offering on similar flights.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by montezume
Perhaps once you have been working for a bit at your new job, you can join us credit card churners and earn some AS miles to pay for the FLL-SEA-FLL flight
I was actually thinking more along the lines of ID90 or Zonal Employee Discount tickets for that flight...

Last time I was in Portland I missed my chance to go to Voodoo donuts. I walked by early in the morning, it was open with no line, but I told myself I would go back later, came back and the lineup was around the block

I need to fly AS and try out that pancake machine
Definitely, it is worth the trekking to the board room.

Although I've heard some hotels and Qantas lounges have it as well.

-LPDAL
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Asking the import questions:

Sky Club or Board Room @ PDX?

After ~45 flights out this year, I cant decide, and always ask my FF friends their opinion.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Hey CMD320, and thanks for another great compare / contrast comment! ^

Originally Posted by cmd320
Nice report. How did you find the bulkhead seat on the AS 737? I've always found the non-bulkhead seats to be very cramped compared to F on other airlines. The pitch in AS F is definitely not industry leading. Service is generally pretty solid though.

Decent snack plate, though it looks like they could put a little more effort into it to bring it up to par with what VX is offering on similar flights.
As I said, I don't really extend my legs, so all that matters is that there is sufficient space in front of my knees. The tightest such legroom I've come across in domestic first class when not counting any bulkhead rows are both PMUS and PMHP A319s:

LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing

However, strangely enough, the way the seatback is angled in proportion to the floor means that even with that tight knee room, full leg extension is possible, even though I didn't fully extend my legs.

By the way, that was on FLL-PHL, in case you were wondering.

Hey IWontRegretThis, and thanks for commenting!

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Asking the import questions:

Sky Club or Board Room @ PDX?

After ~45 flights out this year, I cant decide, and always ask my FF friends their opinion.
I imported some PDX merchandise into FLL...

Haha, just kidding. Both lounges were pretty decent, but in the case of the Sky Club, I pretty much dashed in, snapped some photos, and dashed back out. It seemed to be nice enough, except for the fact that the lighting was way too low in tone. I know low lighting is supposed to be calming, but I've never been required to use flash to capture a somewhat lucid photo (my DSLR kept exclaiming "SUBJECT TOO DARK, SUBJECT TOO DARK!!!" ).

I also see there is an United Club in PDX, which I would have used should I have had more time there. Rest assured, however, I will come back to the [west coast] Portland again! ^

Thank you both again,

-LPDAL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.