Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Air France's Spectacular 77W La Première... arguably the world's new #1 First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France's Spectacular 77W La Première... arguably the world's new #1 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Longboater
All I can say is WOW! Just from the pics alone, it appears AF offers the best F Class product on a 777. This looks better than what SQ and CX are offering in F on their 777s. I'm glad you had a wonderful experience SFO777! I assume you and Mrs. SFO777 will be using this product in the future instead of Lufthansa?
Thanks Longboater. We will definitely be looking to fly La Première as much as possible, especially since Lufthansa pulled First Class from DEN-FRA forcing us to make a connection anyway. But the problem at this time is Air France's limited refurbished 77W service to the US.

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
How much was the discounted F Ticket in the end? And more important: Where did you get the Discount from?
Without being too specific, LH/LX/BA and AF all offer discounted advance (50 days) roundtrip purchase First Class fares. For whatever reason, certain cities are most discounted than others. Let's just say that Norway was not on our radar until OSL became a low fare First Class departure city. MAD and TUN are others. Google Flights is your friend, as well as the FT Premium Fare Deals forum. Best to purchase these via a good travel agent.

Originally Posted by eminere
Incredible. Simply incredible. The plating of the mains is astonishing.
Agree. Thanks eminere.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Great TR as always, SFO777...
AF new F looks stunning indeed, but considering
i) how small the cabin is
ii) how many miles are needed to fly it and
iii) how slowly planes are being refurbished
I guess it won't dethrone LH F as the best way to cross the Atlantic anytime soon. And even if it were to drive F customers away from LH, that would actually be welcome news considering how few F award seats are available these days.
Bottom line: please go on cheerleading for AF F SFO777, as it might just make my LH F award redemptions a little bit easier...
Thanks very much JohnRain. I agree that most pax are going to buying tickets to fly on this one right now given the ridiculous mileage prices and limited service.
But I'll keep cheerleading if it helps.

Originally Posted by cmd320
The La Première product really looks fantastic. Everything from the very private four seat cabin, to the china and service elements, to the ground experience looks thoroughly thought out and refined. I can really appreciate the level of attention to detail AF has put into this and look forward to hopefully using this product in the future.

Let this stand as a strong statement to those who like to preach that F is a dying class as it's just not that different from J. When managed properly, the difference between F and J is almost the same as the difference between J and Y.

Outstanding job capturing the experience in a TR SFO777! It definitely looks as though you all enjoyed the experience, made even more amazing by the fact that the whole cabin was your's for the flight!
Thank you cmd320 for your comments and analysis. Great airlines understand that there is a market when you offer an outstanding product that differentiates itself.

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Amazing TR, Thanks SFO777 ... The first class product looks sensational, and OMG how about the wine selection in the Lounge alone!
Thanks SAtraveller. If was traveling solo, I would probably spend all day there.

Originally Posted by yakito
I have seen AF trying hard to rebrand themselves and this report looks really promising. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you yakito. I would say that AF has succeeded.

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Great report! We've got seats for a day flight from CDG to DUB, so no sleeping but looking forward to all the rest!
Thanks kevinflyaway. I assume you mean DXB. Enjoy your flight!

Originally Posted by louislitt
Great trip report MrSFO! Loved the pictures, especially the one of sunset!
However I really do think we need to get you on Garuda F...
Thank you louislitt. One of these days we'll get to Garuda.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Hold every thing! You had to pay for the tickets? No wonder we didn't see Mrs SFO Shopping in Paris. Next trip?
LOL, yes indeed. But that didn't stop her. Just haven't got that part in the other TR. Welcome to my world.

Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yet another absolutely terrific TR from SFO777! Wow! ^

Several questions here.....

The AF website states that some of the flights between CDG and JFK are offering this new La Premiere config on the B777-300. Any suggestions concerning how one might make sure that this would indeed be the reconfigured equipment we would be flying on? And any idea concerning if and when this new config might be introduced between ATL and CDG as well as between IAH and CDG?

Also, if we were connecting to Mahe Island in the Seychelles via CDG on an AF codeshare flight operated by Air Seychelles with travel in the front cabin CDG-SEZ following a fairly lengthy layover at CDG (about 1/2 day), would we still be allowed to use the La Premiere lounge at CDG prior to departing to the Seychelles?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:14 pm

Great report and excellent pictures!

Thank you.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you SFO777 for this great trip report. I'm glad you enjoyed this fantastic product and that everything worked well with you. The ground service has always been exceptional but now, with the new P, the in-flight product has become top-notch as well. As another poster said, I have become addicted to AF P product .
Fortunately, my next trip is coming soon...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Excellent report! Great photography too. Thanks!

Originally Posted by fly747first
Excellent report! However, AF is still very far from having the world's finest First Class as it is still not nearly as nice as Etihad's The Residence or even the First Apartments with access to showers and a stand-up bar area in-flight. Also, I find that even Garuda Indonesia has a stronger F product.
Depends on how you look at it. The way things look AF's new first class can't be equaled in style and clasyness. I prefer style and clasyness over in your face luxury. Nobody is the same tho.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:44 pm

Excellent flight! Lucky you got to experience it.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
The cabin fit out looks spectacular! Awesome TR as per usual SFO777.

/AE
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Amazing report SFO777!! It looks like an amazing product overall (both soft and hard). To me, the hard product looks the same as QR's a380 new F class.
Too bad we couldn't see the Alain Ducasse plates at the lounge .
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
AMAZING Trip Report

AMAZING Trip Report SFO777 The dessert selection looks truly divine -- I probably would have gotten at least two
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wow! Simply astonishing. After reading a raft of BA F reports this is clearly in another league. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
@SFO777

Did Mrs. SFO end up finding a nice hat at Hermès?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:20 pm

The only first class I have flown is AF's, and the last time I flew it, in January this year, I was just amazed. If money is not an issue it has become a great product. AF did an excellent job there.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Wow, first class sure has come a long way. My last experience in Air France's first class was during the early days of the 747, when the upper deck was given over entirely to an in-flight bar. Other than that, we got lounge chairs; the ground "experience" was non-existent. But that bar sure was something.

Great report, though, as always, and great pictures. Real Sauternes!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by concorde02
Some of you above mentioned EY Apartment, I did that a few times but aside from a very bad lounge (though haircut/shave/massage offering were great), the service on board was inconsistent, mostly just good but not great. And the food, where should I begin? Just not comparable to AF. Then there are SQ QF CX NH JL EK QR OZ KE TG LH LX BA... nothing can beat AF .. maybe NH out of Japan?
Indeed, Etihad can be very, very inconsistent, but the A380 F hard product is second-to-none.

I have never been impressed with NH's F... while nice, there is nothing exceptional about it in my book.

However, I find that GA has a significantly stronger overall F product than AF with amazing attention to detail (e.g., the cabin crew even prepares a little mat to help you change into the slippers, there is a dedicated onboard chef in F, soft beverages are served from a real carafe and placed at each seat's table, etc.). Also, EK A380 F on a good day beats AF F out of the water, especially if you take full advantage of the layover options--complimentary Le Meridien hotel room with meals and chauffeur ride, excellent lounge at DXB, and again, on a good day, you can get fantastic EK cabin crews and cleaning staff that will keep the F spa showers spotless throughout the flight.

Among European carriers, I do fully agree that AF has the best F product, though LH is close behind in 2nd place.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your excitement-it really came through!

I was wondering if you had any good conversations with the flight attendants on the plane. Maybe it is different, because you were travelling with a companion, but I felt that CX really set itself apart for me because the flight attendants would talk to you and then remember something, and say goodbye when you are disembarking with a reference to what you had talked about earlier. A nice touch, like how at the lounge someone came to say the other guy apologizes for not being there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.